PDA

View Full Version : Seriously?

BRUWIN
09-23-2013, 07:59 PM
This is what we justify keeping the B-1 for?

http://swampland.time.com/2013/09/20/air-force-kills-fly-with-sledgehammer/?hpt=hp_t3

Giant Voice
09-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Don't we have $1.5M cruise misslies for this. If we're going to waste money...

CYBERFX1024
09-23-2013, 08:12 PM
This is what we justify keeping the B-1 for?
http://swampland.time.com/2013/09/20/air-force-kills-fly-with-sledgehammer/?hpt=hp_t3

Hey they have to find something that the B1 bomber can do in this day and age with this administration. Since according to the administration and the DOD the F-35 is the plane that can do it all. That's why we need to keep it no matter how much it cost.

waveshaper2
09-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Really nothing new here. We used lots of the old/cheap inert GBU's 10/12's during Operation Northern Watch against Iraqi SAM/radar threats. This pretty much was a standard ordnance load on aircraft during a good portion of Operation Northern Watch. Iraq started putting these systems in close proximity to civilian areas and using inert bombs was intended to minimize collateral damage. Inert bombs also will go completely thru APC's, mass + kinetic energy does work in certain applications.

BRUWIN
09-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Really nothing new here. We used lots of the old/cheap inert GBU's 10/12's during Operation Northern Watch against Iraqi SAM/radar threats. This pretty much was a standard ordnance load on aircraft during a good portion of Operation Northern Watch. Iraq started putting these systems in close proximity to civilian areas and using inert bombs was intended to minimize collateral damage. Inert bombs also will go completely thru APC's, mass + kinetic energy does work in certain applications.

Depending on the target...it's not the bomb I find is a waste of money. It's the super expensive platform it takes to deliver it that I find ridiculous.

waveshaper2
09-24-2013, 03:06 AM
I agree the B-1, B-2, and F-22 are not the right platform for this type target. Most likely they are just WISELY spending end of year funds. I assume that this target/training is for swarming boats in the Persian Gulf or for Somali pirate boats and we have lots of other platforms that are way more capable and cheaper to operate to accomplish that type mission. I also personally believe in high explosive warheads versus inert warheads, especially when the target is a small boat in the middle of the ocean. A couple of years ago there was some dumb a*# retired USAF general on fox news providing commentary on how to take out all the Somali pirate boats and he said; Quote " this is why we need the F-22".

BOSS302
09-24-2013, 04:45 AM
I agree the B-1, B-2, and F-22 are not the right platform for this type target. Most likely they are just WISELY spending end of year funds. I assume that this target/training is for swarming boats in the Persian Gulf or for Somali pirate boats and we have lots of other platforms that are way more capable and cheaper to operate to accomplish that type mission. I also personally believe in high explosive warheads versus inert warheads, especially when the target is a small boat in the middle of the ocean. A couple of years ago there was some dumb a*# retired USAF general on fox news providing commentary on how to take out all the Somali pirate boats and he said; Quote " this is why we need the F-22".

One of those platforms is called the United States Navy...

waveshaper2
09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
One of those platforms is called the United States Navy...

And the best platform for sinking the Somali and Iranian small boat navy is: ^^Bingo we have a winner^^. I think the USAF could be pretty good at this mission also, if given the opportunity.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-24-2013, 11:35 AM
And the best platform for sinking the Somali and Iranian small boat navy is: ^^Bingo we have a winner^^. I think the USAF could be pretty good at this mission also, if given the opportunity.

I was thinking heavily armed combat drones or perhaps we could save the KC-10 fleet by rigging them to spray napalm over the ocean. Of course you'd have to make the boom operators officers if you did that.

Personally, I think flying dogs with bees in their mouths so when the dogs bark they shoot bees at the small boats.

EOMFD/GFYM8
09-28-2013, 05:17 AM
The best part is that when the loaders don't pull the fuze pins prior to launching the kinetic energy will still sink the boat. In fact, I think that's going to be my "innovation" for this month. Have grade-schoolers launch jets with unfuzed bombs instead of the loaders launching fuze-but-still-safe ones. Same result. Less money. Payday.