PDA

View Full Version : Base Residents Spoiled

technomage1
09-20-2013, 07:51 AM
So techno has recently PCSd to foreign climes. This base has pretty nice unaccompanied SNCO on base housing, and living downtown has a high crime rate and utilities, plus an awful commute. So I elected - for the first time in my career since I lived in the dorms (over 10 years ago) to live in base housing. It was really nice to have a choice.

Now, I admit I've always felt MFH residents were spoiled. But I kept an open mind when I moved in. Maybe it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Maybe my feelings were of the "grass is greener" variety. But the longer I live here, the more I feel I was completely right.

First: the self help store. I helped myself to a plunger, a fire extinguisher, ant traps, and I can borrow a lawnmower to cut my grass anytime I want. Off base I had to pay out of pocket for those items when they were needed. One time I had to pay a lawn service since no one would help me out - and you better believe some landlords are picky about grass length, same as on base. Granted, I got MIHA when I moved downtown, and I won't get it for living on base, but I also had other expenses that money went for, and my OHA/BAS didn't go for that sort of thing either.

Second: we had a long power outage due to an act of god. The base legal office helped on base residents get money for spoiled food. WTF? I refused to file for it. I'm not charging the government for something that isn't its fault nor it can't control. I wouldn't go to the mayor's office or utility company if I lived downtown about my spoiled food. That's what renters insurance is for & most off base landlords require it now. Again, that's not a part of OHA/BAS either. I paid out of pocket for mine. It's not much but it was an expense.

Third: OMG you would not believe the complaining I heard from spouses during said act of god event. The power was out, they were hot, would CE come and sandbag them, how did they turn on/off utilities & could someone do it for them, the water smelled funny (it was fine), etc, etc. You know what I got when I was downtown? Power on when it came on. Pick up your own supplies, and you'd better know how to take care of the utilities yourself. Your landlord doesn't give one sh!t if your husband is deployed downtown. It sucks but unless you're sick, pregnant, or otherwise infirm you're an capable adult. ACT LIKE ONE. At least try for crying out loud. They had NO idea where to get information on the weather, who to call for maintenance, etc. And, of course, no disaster kits (When is the commissary open, I need milk was a common one. If you NEED milk, it should be in cans in your kit). Guys: ensure your wives know this stuff. Wanting to take care of her is admirable & I do get it, but if you're at work or deployed she needs to stand on her own, and she's capable of it. Plenty of women do this stuff, in the military or no.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. What does everyone think? Anyone else out there want to chime in?

loggie94
09-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Trouble is... when you've been spoon fed for so long, you don't know how to hold your own fork.

There are certainly good and bad points to living on base. For me, getting treated like children was in the 'bad' category...but...having observed so many of the residents you refer to, I can understand why they treat folks that way when they had to deal with so many that acted like children.

During my early base-housing experiences when it was military run, I happily did my own minor maintenance around the house - even got self-help permission to upgrade a few things with minor construction of a wall here and there. The last on-base experience was in a leased housing environment where they did a very poor job of providing support. So...my passive/agressive side took over and I called them out for every loose screw, squeaky door, and poorly painted wall in the house...and usually several times when they did a poor job fixing it. I was super nice to their folks, and to their management, but I made them earn every last penny of the BAH they were getting off my living there.

Pullinteeth
09-20-2013, 01:21 PM
So techno has recently PCSd to foreign climes. This base has pretty nice unaccompanied SNCO on base housing, and living downtown has a high crime rate and utilities, plus an awful commute. So I elected - for the first time in my career since I lived in the dorms (over 10 years ago) to live in base housing. It was really nice to have a choice.

Now, I admit I've always felt MFH residents were spoiled. But I kept an open mind when I moved in. Maybe it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Maybe my feelings were of the "grass is greener" variety. But the longer I live here, the more I feel I was completely right.

First: the self help store. I helped myself to a plunger, a fire extinguisher, ant traps, and I can borrow a lawnmower to cut my grass anytime I want. Off base I had to pay out of pocket for those items when they were needed. One time I had to pay a lawn service since no one would help me out - and you better believe some landlords are picky about grass length, same as on base. Granted, I got MIHA when I moved downtown, and I won't get it for living on base, but I also had other expenses that money went for, and my OHA/BAS didn't go for that sort of thing either.

Second: we had a long power outage due to an act of god. The base legal office helped on base residents get money for spoiled food. WTF? I refused to file for it. I'm not charging the government for something that isn't its fault nor it can't control. I wouldn't go to the mayor's office or utility company if I lived downtown about my spoiled food. That's what renters insurance is for & most off base landlords require it now. Again, that's not a part of OHA/BAS either. I paid out of pocket for mine. It's not much but it was an expense.

Third: OMG you would not believe the complaining I heard from spouses during said act of god event. The power was out, they were hot, would CE come and sandbag them, how did they turn on/off utilities & could someone do it for them, the water smelled funny (it was fine), etc, etc. You know what I got when I was downtown? Power on when it came on. Pick up your own supplies, and you'd better know how to take care of the utilities yourself. Your landlord doesn't give one sh!t if your husband is deployed downtown. It sucks but unless you're sick, pregnant, or otherwise infirm you're an capable adult. ACT LIKE ONE. At least try for crying out loud. They had NO idea where to get information on the weather, who to call for maintenance, etc. And, of course, no disaster kits (When is the commissary open, I need milk was a common one. If you NEED milk, it should be in cans in your kit). Guys: ensure your wives know this stuff. Wanting to take care of her is admirable & I do get it, but if you're at work or deployed she needs to stand on her own, and she's capable of it. Plenty of women do this stuff, in the military or no.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. What does everyone think? Anyone else out there want to chime in?

Living in housing they take all your BAH for a house you have no vested interest in. To encourage you not to destroy it, they provide you basic items to maintain it. Based upon that and ONE incident, you conclude that base residents are spoiled?

Rusty Jones
09-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Base housing sucks anyway.

Think about this. People from all walks of life join the military. Some rich, some middle class, some poor.

If your BAH is, say $1200, that's pretty much what you're paying for housing.

So many people join the military, having previously held a job where they paid $600 for a slum unit. And they're still the same people after they joined the military.

So... I can give up my BAH, and live around people like that - people who don't know how to treat nice things, and behave the same as the slum-dweller they once were; OR... I can get a place out in town for $1,200 a month and live around civilians who can afford that same rent - and act like it.

imported_DannyJ
09-20-2013, 02:32 PM
I live in housing for a few reason, none of which you mention.

Commute time
Security
Less headaches

That said, I live in privatized base housing, which right now, looks like crap.

technomage1
09-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Living in housing they take all your BAH for a house you have no vested interest in. To encourage you not to destroy it, they provide you basic items to maintain it. Based upon that and ONE incident, you conclude that base residents are spoiled?

This base isn't privatized. It's more correct to state they are proving me adequate quarters so there is no need for OHA/BAS, which after all was originally designed for that purpose - to provide quarters to those not provided government quarters. OHA/BAH is not a right.

As far as not destroying it - what was to stop me from doing that downtown when I rented? A deposit wasn't always required and even then I could've gotten a pay advance, not due back until my PCS, to cover it. Realistically, my landlord would have to sue me if I totally trashed the place. On base the AF won't sue me but could easily garnish my wages, etc. A self help store full of stuff people would have to buy downtown isn't going to stop that. In many ways it's far easier for my AF landlord to recover damages if I do trash it. Even replacement items like toilet seats - if I broke my toilet seat downtown, guess who was going to pay for a new one? Not the landlord. That's not regular wear and tear.

And I'm using one incident as an example of representative behavior.

Btw, I did not mean to dislike this post. I don't use dislike to disagree. I'm on an iPad and accidently selected it trying to scroll.

Rizzo77
09-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Commute time
Security
Less headaches

Your three reasons were why we lived in post housing at Ft. Ord, Ft. Bragg and Ft. Meade. The problem, though, is the "trade-off": If you think resident association rules are retarded, try living on post. Self Help store? It's more like "we don't have what you need, so your trip here is wasted and you have to go off post in order to help yourself."

The worst was the privatization of housing, in which they take your entire BAH. I didn't mind (at first). I figured it was a fair trade for them to take my E-7 BAH in exchange for the aforementioned conveniences. When I got promoted to E-8, though, they took all of THAT BAH, too. Nothing changed about my housing situation. Meh.

technomage1
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM

Commute time
Security
Less headaches

I did mention 2/3 of those reasons. Read my second sentence. I talk about a high crime rate downtown and an awful commute. Regardless, the reasons why people live in base really wasn't the point of my post. That's not to say those aren't good reasons.

DWWSWWD
09-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Sounds like I may have been at that place. If so, those houses for single SNCOs used to be for junior enlisted families so it is a good deal indeed. I lived in the accompanied housing and never had any issues. Great place to live, close to everything. Regarding the food.. I probably wouldn't go to the hassle and prolong some youngster getting his money but I get it. If your car is hail damaged while on base, you get reimbursed for that because your car was in that hail storm due to your obligation to be there. Sort of the same thing. Only time I've ever lived on base. Loved it. When we PCS'd we tossed them the keys and rolled out. Too easy.

Chief_KO
09-21-2013, 03:07 AM
25 years ago living on base was considered a privilege, folks signed a waiting list...not sure why it really changed...although the DoD really put the effort into eliminating the base as a self-sustaining community.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
The worst was the privatization of housing, in which they take your entire BAH. I didn't mind (at first). I figured it was a fair trade for them to take my E-7 BAH in exchange for the aforementioned conveniences. When I got promoted to E-8, though, they took all of THAT BAH, too. Nothing changed about my housing situation. Meh.

Reminds me of giving up my entire O-4 BAH while my next door neighbor only had to give up his E-7 BAH. Same type of house on Langley, different rent....BS. I suppose I should have paid more for a gallon of milk too? Other than the BAH scam, I loved living on base.

Gonzo432
09-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Reminds me of giving up my entire O-4 BAH while my next door neighbor only had to give up his E-7 BAH. Same type of house on Langley, different rent....BS. I suppose I should have paid more for a gallon of milk too? Other than the BAH scam, I loved living on base.

Enlisted and Officers as neighbors?? AT LANGLEY??!! Anywhere else on Earth, yeah. Langley?? I'm shocked.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
09-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Enlisted and Officers as neighbors?? AT LANGLEY??!! Anywhere else on Earth, yeah. Langley?? I'm shocked.

SNCOs and officers (up through Maj) are mixed. It's privatized housing, so it gives the company more flexibility to minimize vacancies.

technomage1
09-21-2013, 09:30 PM
SNCOs and officers (up through Maj) are mixed. It's privatized housing, so it gives the company more flexibility to minimize vacancies.

The unaccompanied housing at my current location is mixed too. We have E7s though O5s and some GS civilians too. It's a 2 bedroom stand alone house, about 1100 sq feet. I could care less about the stand alone house part - frankly due to allergies lawn care is a pain, but I'm sure people with pets like it. Size wise it's what I could afford on my BAS in the states. OHA I could've gotten bigger off base but again - high crime, high utilities, and awful commute. Now it's smaller than anyone above my grade is "entitled" to on BAS but it is our choice per JFTR to live here or not.

One interesting thing about unaccompanied vs. accompanied is the choice to live on base or not. Married E1 to E4 have a choice. Singles do not. Per the JFTR we do not have a choice until E7. To my mind, that should be equal, driven by occupancy rate. In the dorms, if the occupancy rate is above 95% they release members to live downtown. Why not the same for married with housing occupancy rates? Why have empty units sitting on base & then pay the member to live downtown? Its nuts. I suppose with privatization that would be different, but with the traditional type it seems a double waste of money.

Another strange difference is if there is high demand to live on base. Unaccompanied the junior member has priority to live on base. If there was only 1 unit left an E7 and O5 were to both want it - per AFI the E7 should get it. I say should since politics seems to always rear its ugly head, but that is what is written. Accompanied, of course, the O5 would get it.

Airborne
09-22-2013, 03:20 PM
25 years ago living on base was considered a privilege, folks signed a waiting list...not sure why it really changed...although the DoD really put the effort into eliminating the base as a self-sustaining community.

They raised the BAH rate to match local economies so you wouldnt have to pay out of pocket, then the housing bubble came so you have E-4s that could afford to buy in a lot of locations. Couple that with the rules at base housing that would make a lot of HOAs blush and there you have it. Plus the AF is way smaller these days.

WeaponsTSGT
09-22-2013, 06:14 PM

The self help store? So you got $40 worth of stuff for free, it still doesn't off set that I live in a 4 plex for 30% higher rent than I'd pay off base. I agree with you on the base paying for the power outage, however I've lived on base several times and been through several power outages and was not aware that they'd reimburse you nor do I know of anyone that has filed a claim. As far as a lawnmower, I've owned one since before I joined so I fail to see where the "spoiled" enters. If it weren't for the fact that I'm getting out soon I'd move off base, the only benefit is that I'm close to work, however I have to listen to jets/helicopters day and night. I have never lived in a neighborhood with houses that you would mistake for a trailer park like I have in base housing. The neighbors are awful and the upkeep since it went privatized is beyond terrible. This is only an assumption on my part, but I would assume that those that think housing residents are spoiled either A) joined right out of mom and dads house or B) have only lived in apartments/duplexes since joining. When comparing base housing to what's available in the local community, everywhere I've been stationed you get the short end of the stick living on base.

BRUWIN
09-22-2013, 06:21 PM
The self help store? So you got $40 worth of stuff for free, it still doesn't off set that I live in a 4 plex for 30% higher rent than I'd pay off base. I agree with you on the base paying for the power outage, however I've lived on base several times and been through several power outages and was not aware that they'd reimburse you nor do I know of anyone that has filed a claim. As far as a lawnmower, I've owned one since before I joined so I fail to see where the "spoiled" enters. If it weren't for the fact that I'm getting out soon I'd move off base, the only benefit is that I'm close to work, however I have to listen to jets/helicopters day and night. I have never lived in a neighborhood with houses that you would mistake for a trailer park like I have in base housing. The neighbors are awful and the upkeep since it went privatized is beyond terrible. This is only an assumption on my part, but I would assume that those that think housing residents are spoiled either A) joined right out of mom and dads house or B) have only lived in apartments/duplexes since joining. When comparing base housing to what's available in the local community, everywhere I've been stationed you get the short end of the stick living on base.

Base housing residents have it made. Hell...whenever base housing residents up North have to shovel their walks and driveways they immediately get on this board crying about how hard it is to shovel snow before they even stomp the snow off their boots. Meanwhile, those living off base shovel their snow no problem and no crying.

sandsjames
09-22-2013, 06:49 PM

I still don't understand why this is an issue. They aren't actually taking anything from anyone. Before privatization, nobody on base was seeing any money anyway.

Deploy Me Please
09-22-2013, 06:51 PM
They will snow blow the sidewalks & driveways for us in privatized base housing...so they say. I am standing by to whine if they don't do it up to my specifications.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
09-22-2013, 07:27 PM
I still don't understand why this is an issue. They aren't actually taking anything from anyone. Before privatization, nobody on base was seeing any money anyway.

I guess because two different pay grades are living next door to each other in identical houses, yet are being are charged considerably different rental amounts. Now that actual money is changing hands (via allotment), it SHOULD be an issue. Like the CDC and golf course, I disagree with charging more for the same service to the family with the (assumed) higher income. Would you be willing to pay more for a gallon of milk or loaf of bread at the shoppette than an A1C or SSgt? It's just the principle of the whole thing that bothers me.

sandsjames
09-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I guess because two different pay grades are living next door to each other in identical houses, yet are being are charged considerably different rental amounts. Now that actual money is changing hands (via allotment), it SHOULD be an issue. Like the CDC and golf course, I disagree with charging more for the same service to the family with the (assumed) higher income. Would you be willing to pay more for a gallon of milk or loaf of bread at the shoppette than an A1C or SSgt? It's just the principle of the whole thing that bothers me.

How is it different than when you were both getting paid NOTHING living in identical housing? You aren't paying more. They aren't paying less. You are getting NOTHING, just as before.

For what it's worth, I think different BAH rates is stupid anyway. If a MSgt wants to live in a more expensive house than a SSgt, the difference should be made up through the difference in basic pay, just as people in civilian jobs do. BAH should be a standard rate for a standard house in the area. It should NOT go up with rank.

technomage1
09-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Wrong on all assumptions. Joined at 24, and have lived in 4 bedroom standalones at some places. The fact is when you live downtown you are responsible for a lot more, with less assistance, than when you live on base. As far as a lawnmower, that's not a carry on item. Until my HHG arrive I can borrow one for free - and even after, really, if I didn't own one. If I lived downtown I could not. I'd have to borrow from a neighbor, rent, or pay a lawn service.

As far as BAH...the government is supposed to provide you housing. They can do that physically or by giving you BAH. Though my check isn't the same as when I lived downtown I didn't lose anything in my compensation since I have housing. As I've noted, my location isn't privatized.

Now privitization has thrown a wrinkle in that. Really, if you boil it down with privitization, you're living downtown on base, to turn a phrase. The government pays you BAH and you chose to use the contractor. No one is making you. If you dont like it don't live there. Spend your BAH elsewhere.

Privization was the biggest rip off/giveaway/mistake the governments made in years.

technomage1
09-22-2013, 08:56 PM
How is it different than when you were both getting paid NOTHING living in identical housing? You aren't paying more. They aren't paying less. You are getting NOTHING, just as before.

For what it's worth, I think different BAH rates is stupid anyway. If a MSgt wants to live in a more expensive house than a SSgt, the difference should be made up through the difference in basic pay, just as people in civilian jobs do. BAH should be a standard rate for a standard house in the area. It should NOT go up with rank.

I think it boils down to seeing it on your LES or not. I don't, so I don't feel that way. If I saw my OHA on the LES - I'd feel ripped off since my OHA is quite high & there is no way I'd pay it to live in what I've got. In the end it's really the same, as you point out.

Another thing I've never figured out - OHA has always paid me enough to get far bigger/nicer quarters than BAH. if my standard is a 2 bedroom apt with 53% of the cost of a 2 bedroom town home, then why does my OHA pay for a 4 bedroom standalone? And it does, at multiple locations. It would make sense if there were no apts downtown, but there are.

CYBERFX1024
09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
They raised the BAH rate to match local economies so you wouldnt have to pay out of pocket, then the housing bubble came so you have E-4s that could afford to buy in a lot of locations. Couple that with the rules at base housing that would make a lot of HOAs blush and there you have it. Plus the AF is way smaller these days.

That's what happened in Beaufort SC, when I was stationed there when the economy collapsed. The housing/rental prices went down so bad that they had a huge amount of vacancies on base. Tricommand started getting desperate to fill them and started offering all civilian employees opportunities to live on base and it didn't matter if you were a GS-5 or a NAF-1. Also for the Marines and Sailors they started offering rent at $850 a month when BAH was $1185, so then they would save $300.

sharkhunter
09-22-2013, 11:30 PM
The biggest difference and biggest complaint I always had with living on base (moreso when I lived in the dorms) was room inspections. Sure we're all adults and know how to clean our rooms, but do we really need to be inspected? Yet, they (higher ups) won't go and inspect the married housing units (except if the front lawn). Nor would they inspect anyone living off base.
That was a huge surprise to me! When I was in Germany, a neighbor complained to me of the messy living situation at an Airman's off base house and she was concern because the Airman had a toddler crawling around in the mess, I asked for guidance from my sup, but he told me there's nothing they can do because it's off base housing and if I have a concern, to contact "Child Services".

Even recently here in the UK, during a CORE group meeting, it was brought up that supervisors cannot inspect off base quarters. However, the work around to that is that the rental agencies conduct a quarterly inspection, so supervisors can ask the rental agencies to contact them if the agency finds something that is of concern.

technomage1
09-23-2013, 12:08 AM
The biggest difference and biggest complaint I always had with living on base (moreso when I lived in the dorms) was room inspections. Sure we're all adults and know how to clean our rooms, but do we really need to be inspected? Yet, they (higher ups) won't go and inspect the married housing units (except if the front lawn). Nor would they inspect anyone living off base.
That was a huge surprise to me! When I was in Germany, a neighbor complained to me of the messy living situation at an Airman's off base house and she was concern because the Airman had a toddler crawling around in the mess, I asked for guidance from my sup, but he told me there's nothing they can do because it's off base housing and if I have a concern, to contact "Child Services".

Even recently here in the UK, during a CORE group meeting, it was brought up that supervisors cannot inspect off base quarters. However, the work around to that is that the rental agencies conduct a quarterly inspection, so supervisors can ask the rental agencies to contact them if the agency finds something that is of concern.

I hate this too. It's BS. There is no reason why semi annual housing inspection could not be performed on base for the junior grades (RHIP). Off base, my landlords typically came in twice a year to perform maintenance such as changing the furnace filter and smoke alarm testing, etc. They notified in advance and you can better believe if a place was trashed - and I'm not talking not hanging up a coat or a fine layer of dust here but trashed - swift action was taken. And I hate it when people give the dependent privacy argument. First, you live on base. You are subject to search at any time. Second, as your landlord the AF has the right to go into your quarters for maintenance and welfare checks just like off base landlords do. Of course, if maintenance - contract or AF - comes into your quarters at any time to work and finds it trashed, then they have always had to report that.

As far as the chain being involved downtown - it's a civil manner & your chain is right, they have no say in the matter. It's a contract between landlord and tenant. The landlord can contact the AF if they want if they have a concern, but most likely they're going to take the deposit and/or go to court. If the member refuses to pay then it's the same as any other off base debt.

When kids are involved it's the same, although overseas the SOFA may come into play.

I've never inspected my married troops quarters on or off base - though I have dropped by once unannounced to visit due to child welfare concerns. Thankfully, my quick 10 minute stop to drop off a casserole to help them out - slick, huh - showed my fears were unjustified. I didn't like the deception, but I couldn't have lived with myself if I hadn't checked out the situation first hand.

DWWSWWD
09-23-2013, 01:38 PM
I used to have to go do the dorm inspections when I was on the First Sergeants' Council (undershirt, not diamond). I told the CCM then that we needed to start treating dorm folks like adults or start treating housing residents the same as dorm residents regarding inspections. That didn't go anywhere.

cloudFFVII
09-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I've never had too bad a problem and I've been in base housing for 15 of my 18 year career.

After you see enough people who PCS and either can't a) sell their house, so they end up with TWO housing payments and b) can't find anyone to rent their house, they end up with more stress then I could ever imagine going through. This happens to those who are seasoned in real estate and those who are not.

Do I love just giving my BAH to privatized housing to rent a house? Not especially. But for me and my family, it's been a good investment overall. I'm 5 minutes from work, can come home for lunch, am close if an emergency happens, can just make a phone call when things go wrong (and it's not been great in my current location, but pretty good at the others) and they'll take care of it, and I'm safe/not worrying about someone breaking in or stealing something.

I say, to each their own. If people want to live off base, I can't fault them for that. When I retire in 2 years, it will be downright weird not hearing rev./retreat/taps every day. And hey, some people just want to get away from the base especially when things aren't going so hot, and want to make an investment, I understand all of it.

We're a 1 income family so base housing works out. I simply could not take the risk of getting into a mortgage situation which would get out of hand. That would be a one-way ticket into bankruptcy, and that wouldn't be good for any career.

poindexter
09-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I worked in Housing at Kadena and there were many, many days where I wanted to slap either the member or the dependents... idiots.

technomage1
09-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Today's Terminal Lance. It's about the Marine Corps but I think it a applies to the AF too.

Http://terminallance.com/2013/09/24/terminal-lance-294-marriage-benefits/

wxjumper
09-24-2013, 01:33 PM
No different from renting a house off base. The only time you ever have a vested interest in your dwelling is when you own it.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-24-2013, 02:01 PM
I don't know if base housing residents are spoiled but most seem insolent and cranky when I see them at the commissary stiffing the baggers out of a tip.

I am being 100 percent serious with the following anecdote.

Pre 9/11 when Fort Meade was an open post I delivered pizza for Domino's and hated taking a pizza on base because of the lousy tippers. There was a housing project off base called Pioneer City and the people who lived there tipped better than the base people did on average.

Since Fort Meade is a joint services base I kept running statistics on the branches, the Air Force tips best followed closely by the Marine Corps and Navy with the Army being dead last.

The Marines on average had the hottest spouses and best manicured lawns.

Sergeant eNYgma
10-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Lived on base once and never will again unless I have no choice.

sandsjames
10-02-2013, 06:56 PM
I don't know if base housing residents are spoiled but most seem insolent and cranky when I see them at the commissary stiffing the baggers out of a tip.

I am being 100 percent serious with the following anecdote.

Pre 9/11 when Fort Meade was an open post I delivered pizza for Domino's and hated taking a pizza on base because of the lousy tippers. There was a housing project off base called Pioneer City and the people who lived there tipped better than the base people did on average.

Since Fort Meade is a joint services base I kept running statistics on the branches, the Air Force tips best followed closely by the Marine Corps and Navy with the Army being dead last.

The Marines on average had the hottest spouses and best manicured lawns.

Wait...are you saying that the wives of Marines have the best "manicured lawns"? Or am I misreading this statement? :hitit:

Absinthe Anecdote
10-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Wait...are you saying that the wives of Marines have the best "manicured lawns"? Or am I misreading this statement? :hitit:

Ha!

I was talking about actual lawns and not personal grooming. However, it stands to reason if a female is hot then she is also not letting hair grow wild and unkempt on her body.

sandsjames
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Ha!

I was talking about actual lawns and not personal grooming. However, it stands to reason if a female is hot then she is also not letting hair grow wild and unkempt on her body.

I might be a minority on this, but I like the au naturale.