PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism?... Something odd that happened to me yesterday while in uniform...

Bunch
09-19-2013, 06:31 PM
So I get out of my office yesterday and on my way home stop at a gas station to get gas and milk. While in line to pay for my items this guy approaches me and start ranting at me about "Americans" and "Soldiers". He ID himself as a Bosnian-Serb and kept ranting about how happy he is that "Americans" and muslims are killing each other, that he was happy for 9-11, the Boston bombings and the shooting at Sandy Hook because of "little americans" kids died and that he would love to kill "americans" one day. It started to make feel uneasy and on top of that he was closer to the exit door so if I went towards the exit I worried he might feel I was going to confront him.

This guy looked like you average Joe, white, mid 30's, average height, no accent, blues eyes. He kept on ranting at me while I was trying to play the ignorance card. I just kept saying to him that I dont know much about politics, that I didn't knew about Kosovo or Bosnia but he kept on ranting to the point that he kind of got too close to me and it started make me feel even more uneasy borderline threatened. Adrenaline kicked in and I started to size him up just in case he tried something stupid but at the same time working on preventing the situation to escalate even further.

Then I told him something that completely change his attitude towards me. I told him that I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and that I didn't knew much about american politics or international stuff. Then he started saying that he had many puertorican friends and that he feel my pain because PR was invaded by the americans like Bosnia was and all that. I said "later man" and got out of there.

This morning I called the local FBI office and reported the incident.

My biggest take about the entire situation is that this guy looked like your average normal american. He didn't look foreign (like I do), he didn't had an accent, he just looked like your typical Joe. If that's the face of a would be home grown terrorist then God help us.

So my questions are...

What you guys think about the way I handle the situation? What you had done differently?

71Fish
09-19-2013, 06:53 PM
You handled it much better than I probably would have. You did the right thing by deescalating things. You also did the right thing by reporting it.

Dickie
09-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I think you handled it really well, kept calm but alert, tried to descalate the situation and reported "sleeper cell" to the FBI ASAP. Good job Bunch!

20+Years
09-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Throat-punch. I can't say what I would have done. I would have been uncomfortable for sure, but I would have probably let him know in one phrase or another he needed to quit talking to me.

Why the FBI and not the OSI? Just wondering.

BENDER56
09-19-2013, 07:41 PM
My biggest take about the entire situation is that this guy looked like your average normal american. He didn't look foreign (like I do), he didn't had an accent, he just looked like your typical Joe. If that's the face of a would be home grown terrorist then God help us.

So how are terrorists "supposed" to look? Let us know and I'll try to get the word out to all would-be terrorists to comply with your recommendations.

Seems to me this Bozo self-identified as a potential terrorist by his words. What does it matter what he looks like?

Hey there's a novel idea; how about we leave people alone and don't worry about what they "might" do until they give us a good reason to suspect them of something because of their behavior, not their looks.

Land of the free and home of the brave, indeed. Sheeesh.

Bunch
09-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Throat-punch. I can't say what I would have done. I would have been uncomfortable for sure, but I would have probably let him know in one phrase or another he needed to quit talking to me.

Why the FBI and not the OSI? Just wondering.

I don't work on a base. The nearest AFB is 5 hours away.

Bunch
09-19-2013, 07:54 PM
So how are terrorists "supposed" to look? Let us know and I'll try to get the word out to all would-be terrorists to comply with your recommendations.

Seems to me this Bozo self-identified as a potential terrorist by his words. What does it matter what he looks like?

Hey there's a novel idea; how about we leave people alone and don't worry about what they "might" do until they give us a good reason to suspect them of something because of their behavior, not their looks.

Land of the free and home of the brave, indeed. Sheeesh.

Did I came accross as a xenophobe with my comment? If so I apologize but it wasn't my intention at all. The point I was trying to make was the opposite, that we shouldn't think that terrorism comes from a single group or ethnicity and we got to be vigilant at all times.

Bunch
09-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Why did you mention PR, was that to distance yourself from America, or simply
A deeseculation tactic? That was a tough situation to be in. I had a navy boss
Who was offered crack in uniform, but that's not important now.

I was just trying to deescalate the situation, trying to make him feel that we share something in common and it worked. But from the inside I was really wanting to tear this guy apart.

20+Years
09-19-2013, 07:57 PM
I don't work on a base. The nearest AFB is 5 hours away.

Oh, well that makes perfect sense then. Kind of explains the non-military associated people you might run into also. Interesting.

Rusty Jones
09-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Why did you mention PR, was that to distance yourself from America, or simply
A deeseculation tactic? That was a tough situation to be in. I had a navy boss
Who was offered crack in uniform, but that's not important now.

Neither. A Texan would have done the same thing. Hell, Texans actually aren't as bad.

BENDER56
09-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Did I came accross as a xenophobe with my comment? If so I apologize but it wasn't my intention at all. The point I was trying to make was the opposite, that we shouldn't think that terrorism comes from a single group or ethnicity and we got to be vigilant at all times.

I didn't mean to portray you as a xenophobe, either. My bad if it seemed that way.

How about this, instead; ... we shouldn't think that terrorism comes from a single group or ethnicity and we should all just chill out and live our normal lives and stop living in fear all the time.

Here are some wise words on the topic from one of our on-again, off-again MTF contributors:

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/navy-yard-shootings-are-we-seeking-the-right-answers/

Juggs
09-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Its unbelievble how well you handled that. Good job. I would've proceeded to beat the guys ass until his was a limp puddle one ground. I still want to. Then I would've paid for it dearly.

Silverback
09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Bunch,

You handled yourself excellent. You tried to ignore him first but of course the guy is crazy so that didn't work. Then you showed this crazy guy that you have something in common. In turn the crazy guys leaves you alone. Well done.

garhkal
09-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Agreed, you did a good job not getting into trouble for smacking the guy, and also for reporting him.

Gonzo432
09-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Sounds like you did the right thing Bunch. This clown is probably in 3 different LE databases with his name spelled differently, so the dots will remain unconnected.