PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies

AlexCross
09-19-2013, 04:59 PM
What are your hobbies? Do they involve the kids/family or are they yours alone?

We do a LOT as a family. During the week we are toting the kids to their activities. Weekends we are out and about exploring, hiking, fishing, or finding new places to eat.

On my own I like to read, ride my bike, listen to music, or whatever else is relaxing.

When it is just the adults we like to catch movies, go to dinner, hit up concerts, or go to a nice quiet bar.

giggawatt
09-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Most of my hobbies are mine alone. I play hockey and sometimes my wife will come to games to watch. She actually loves the sport. I also like mountain biking and weight lifting. I love travelling too. That's another thing my wife will do with me. One of my favorite things to do though is fishing. However, I don't get to fish very often since I live in Europe. When I retire or get back to the states, I've got a lot of fishing to catch up on.

RFScott
09-20-2013, 02:04 AM
I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

LogDog
09-20-2013, 05:06 AM
Have you ever thought of taking up Ghost Busting as a hobby?

giggawatt
09-20-2013, 07:37 PM

That's very interesting. I read a lot myself.

LogDog
09-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Coin collecting
I'm a passive coin collector meaning I check my change for any interesting coins. When I was in my teens and through my 20s, I actively bought and sold coins. I have a couple of hundred of dollars in silver dimes, quarters, and dollars. My best coins are Carson City Silver Dollars I bought from the Mint in the 70s.

LogDog
09-20-2013, 07:59 PM
My two primary hobbies are reading and bowling and during good weather I'll bicycle 20 plus miles a couple days a week.

On reading, I didn't have much time while in the AF to read so when I retired I took up pleasure reading. I tend to read 4 - 5 books a month. I tend to stick with crime genre but I also like science fiction. Almost all the books I read come from the local library so I don't have to spend much money other than $0.50 to put a book on hold. The library is a great resource for finding authors who write a series around a central character.

My other primary hobby is bowling. It's a fun sport that can be played at almost any age. I'm in two leagues and last year I had my best year in bowling averaging 203 and 198. This year is harder because the base lanes have a harder pattern and heavier oil. The other lanes, a civilian lane, has a mid-level pattern and the lanes are drier making the ball hook more and therefore more difficult to control.

LogDog
09-20-2013, 08:09 PM
YouTube http://youtu.be/yn4KhqlBLRo
I'm not as bad as Owen but like him, I've never showed anyone my collection but the coins have dual value instead of just memories. I don't burden others by forcing them to see my collection. The collection is out of sight and mostly under lock and key. The good stuff will be hard to get at and the other stuff is mainly common coins like rolls of Wheat Stalk Pennies, silver dimes/quarters, etc.

AlexCross
09-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Without google...can you figure where I got my name?

71Fish
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Trail running and moutain biking. After moving to a cold climate, I started Jiu Jitsu (and competing) to keep me in shape over the long winters. Turned out I enjoyed it so much that I can't stop. I still trail run a bit but haven't gone mountain biking at all this summer.

My wife and I go motorcycle camping some but mostly spend all day saturday or sunday riding.

RFScott
09-20-2013, 08:29 PM

Wasn't there a novel/movie of the same name that was released recently? I think the movie had Tyler Perry in the titular role.

Tank82
09-20-2013, 10:05 PM
I got into BBQ/smoking meat a few years back. Built a smoker out of a 55 gallon drum and spend a lot of Sundays smoking pulled pork and brisket, trying to make it better than last week. We always have leftovers so we take them to the homeless shelter on Monday.

I'd say most of my "hobbies" are mine alone. I gotta have "me" time!

LogDog
09-20-2013, 10:25 PM
I collected my whole life and my grandmother would send me stuff all the time. I always wanted to pass it on to my sons,
but a few years back they all hated coin collecting, so I sold the collection for over $1000 on ebay and shipped in flat rate box.
Now one of my sons loves collecting and I regret selling it. Lesson learned, kids change mind every 2 seconds!
I had some real nice stuff too. I kept some of course, personal ones like a silver st patrick coin from ireland
when my grandmother visited my great great grandmothers hometown there and sent currency from the town and
wrote a little note about it. I used to always keep things 1964 and older in change, but it's all dried up now, too many
collectors in it for money. I still have a passion for it though and I owe it to my grandmother.
My mom had collected a bunch of silver coins in the 60s when the government moved from using silver to copper/nickel. After she and my dad passed away, the coins became mine because my mom wanted me to have them whereas my sister and brothers had the rest of their possession.

I sometimes get a silver coin in change and it easy for me to identify it. A couple of months ago I was at Costco and the cashier fumbled my change but caught it before it hit the counter and he said "That's luck" and gave me my change. I held up the only coin he gave back to me and said "No, this is luck" and showed him the silver dime he gave me. He and the bagger looked closely at the coin and the cashier said "Well, I gave it to you so I guess it's yours now."

I worked for K-Mart in the early 70s in the Jewelry Dept. and the women in the accounting/cash room knew I collected silver coins so they would be on the lookout for them because they didn't go through the coin-rolling machine. During the Christmas season, I needed to get a roll of dime for my till and I was going to pull a joke on Ralph, the camera dept. manager who also collected silver coins, by saying I got a roll of silver dimes. He was busy with the Kodak rep so I passed on the joke and went to the Service Desk for the roll of coins. I went back to my register and opened up the roll and 50-silver dimes fell out. I called Ralph over and he and the Kodak rep took a look and their jaws dropped. I had Ralph witness that bought the roll of dimes by placing a $5 bill in the register.

I still have those dimes 40 years later.

LogDog
09-20-2013, 10:26 PM
From James Patterson who write the Alex Cross detective novels. I've read everyone of his Alex Cross novel and I hope he'll write some more and improve on the stories because some of his later novel seemed to be either shortened or missing parts.

Tank82
09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Did you smoke before or after you pulled your pork?

I see what you did there...

I actually smoke the whole time I play with my meat.

AlexCross
09-25-2013, 07:38 PM
My dad collected stamps. He invested thousands of dollars. My mom took them in to see how much they were worth this week and it wasn't even close to what he had spent.

AlexCross
09-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Ebay may be way to go...

A few years ago we sold a few boxes of old Playboys on Ebay. Don't remember how much we got for them but I remember that they were all still in the plastic.

RS6405
09-26-2013, 02:20 AM
I been collecting rocks/ semi precious stones for years.

I enjoy looking for them myself, but I have a very special collection of rocks that came from friends and family like a moss agate from the arctic circle or a lava rock from Mt. Vesuvius. In turn, my Dad gave me a couple dozen high-grade amethyst from Brazil that I enjoy passing on to others.

imnohero
09-26-2013, 04:18 AM
My dad collected stamps. He invested thousands of dollars. My mom took them in to see how much they were worth this week and it wasn't even close to what he had spent.

My grandfather did too. Thousands of stamps, essentially worthless when appraised. My dad collected coins, with the exception of the few low circulation silver dimes and quarters, only worth face value. I collected comic books as a kid...had maybe 100 of them. In my 20's I had a dorm roommate that did too. I looked through is collector books to see if I had anything valuable...nope...most of them weren't even worth the purchase price.

I no longer collect things.

Giant Voice
09-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Hobbies w/ my daughter: Autocross, drag racing, building/modifying cars, cycling, shooting, coaching fastpitch softball(not really a hobbie), rock and gem collecting

Used to ride motorcycles, but am currently selling one so I can buy either ATV or racing go cart for daughter.

AlexCross
09-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Back in the day I thought I was bad ass because I had a Commodore 64.

AlexCross
09-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Tak's dad thought it would be great to get a Tandy 1000 from radio shack.
I would stay up all night downloading pirated games from BBS's with my
1200 baud modem, using Z-modem protical which would let me resume my
download if a call interrupted while in the midst of downloading.

The other day the kids asked how old we were when we got cell phones. When we replied that we were in our 20's they were horrified. Then we were at a friends house and they had a tv with rabbit ears and no remote. They didn't believe that it was a tv that we watched as kids.