PDA

View Full Version : Most Dysfunctional Squadron/Career Field?

jondstewart
09-19-2013, 01:49 AM
I would vote Services, which I was in. Maybe I didn't get to know all the other ones as well and every squadron had its problems and imperfections, but Services had a lot of bad seeds in my 20 years. Every other Airman, basically E5 and below, had been in and out of trouble in the military or civilian world, lazy and unmotivated, or with some serious psychological issues. Likewise in the junior NCO ranks, most people were either hardasses or doormats. Those that weren't usually just went about their business and sucked it up. And in the Senior NCO ranks, especially those with very successful careers, most were weasels with political connections, cutthroat personalities, or had a chip on their shoulder.

I had so many friends that worked in medical and they rarely had these kinds of problems on a large scale. And a lady I worked with at a dining hall when I was an Airman said that in her husband's OMS squadron, they were a close knit familiy, got awards, etc. and we were treated so cruelly and like slave labor.

BRUWIN
09-19-2013, 01:20 PM
I think the most dysfunctional career field at this point is personnel. The fighter mafia leadership of the 2000s totally destroyed that career field and every active duty troop today is still paying for it.

poindexter
09-19-2013, 01:34 PM
LRS is quite dysfunctional; there isn’t an Airman that hasn’t gotten in some type of trouble. There is a mafia of people that have been here that makes it hard for those who are new and don’t believe it the “we have always done it this way “mentality.

imported_DannyJ
09-19-2013, 01:39 PM
LRS is quite dysfunctional; there isn’t an Airman that hasn’t gotten in some type of trouble. There is a mafia of people that have been here that makes it hard for those who are new and don’t believe it the “we have always done it this way “mentality.

Couldn't agree more.

71Fish
09-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I think the most dysfunctional career field at this point is personnel. The fighter mafia leadership of the 2000s totally destroyed that career field and every active duty troop today is still paying for it.

How so? I wasn't a personnelist, just asking you to expound on that a little if you don't mind.

AF Comm Guy
09-19-2013, 01:44 PM
"Most Dysfunctional Squadron/Career Field?"

Well, which one do you mean? Squadron or career field? These are two very different things and there are usually multiple career fields in any given squadron. Either way, it's a hard question to answer. You'd need to be in a position to see the bigger picture and most of us are peons who only see how things are in our own units.

Dysfunctional squadrons/units are usually a symptom of bad leadership. If you have a bad commander, bad chief or the ever dreaded combination of bad commander and chief then the rest of the unit is probably going to suck goat balls. My most dysfunctional squadron was the 53rd at Robins and it was the 1-2 punch of a bad CC and bad CEM. There was no escaping their stupidity so the most we could do was either to wait for one of them to PCS or put in for a remote assignment. I've seen squadrons go from being really dysfunctional to highly motivated in a matter of weeks with the introduction of a good commander. Shit rolls downhill but so does Shinola. Attitude reflects leadership.

As for career fields, I'm in absolutely no position to figure out which ones are more dysfunctional. I'd say that it's the ones with too many priorities or where their mission is unclear. Spec Ops guys I've known have loved what they do, probably because they have a clearly defined mission and chain of command. Also, they get to blow shit up. That's always a morale booster. Bruwin is right about the personnel career field. A couple of people I have known there say they honestly don't know what the hell their job is from day to day and their chain of command is multi branched so they are never sure who is giving the orders.

Again, attitude reflects leadership, or lack thereof.

Pullinteeth
09-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Which one did the AF break the most over the past decade? I would have to say it is a tie between Personnel and Finance. How did they do it? The same way both times-centralization.

Personnel. Gradually they removed the ability of the FSS to perform any meaningful tasks instead requiring members to contact AFPC or ARPC respectively. You have to call one central # and pray you don't select the incorrect option. Now the FSS gets the blame for the mistakes of ARPC and AFPC but has no power to fix anything.

Finance. Ellsworth.

AFcynic
09-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Anything involving Air Force Basic Military Training. Has your organization received a first term airman recently? Any thoughts/comments on what is getting put out there?

imported_DannyJ
09-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Anything involving Air Force Basic Military Training. Has your organization received a first term airman recently? Any thoughts/comments on what is getting put out there?

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT~Thread killer!

Rainmaker
09-21-2013, 02:50 AM

first term females right outta basic. they won't put out like they used to without always wantin to make a federal case out of it.... Nomsayin?

imnohero
09-21-2013, 04:24 AM
.... Nomsayin?

No.

Rainmaker
09-21-2013, 04:21 PM
No.

Das Raciss.

imnohero
09-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Das Raciss.

Raciss (urban dictionary):

Variant of "Racist", as spoken by black people.

What black people will call you, if you disagree with them or make them angry in any way. Its usage is typically preceded by a vaguely understandable smattering of ghetto slang and misspoken words.

You forgot the vaguely understandable ghetto slang. Try again.

Rainmaker
09-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Raciss (urban dictionary):

You forgot the vaguely understandable ghetto slang. Try again.

Get off Rainmaker's Dick. Das Raciss. Howz dat Bitch??

imnohero
09-21-2013, 06:51 PM
:lame:

Rainmaker
09-22-2013, 04:23 AM
:lame:

Tough crowd. what were you looking for?

Mr. Happy
09-22-2013, 02:23 PM
How about the most dysfunctional branch of service? If a branch could be bipolar or manic depressant, it would be the Air Force.

jondstewart
09-22-2013, 10:26 PM
How about the most dysfunctional branch of service? If a branch could be bipolar or manic depressant, it would be the Air Force.

Have you worked with or deployed with the Army? Holy crap, hurry up and wait all over! When we left our FOB in Afghanistan and landed at Bagram, we were on the airfield for over an hour waiting for transportation. When we landed at Manas, the bus picked us up, we went to the processing station, and were done in less than an hour!

But yeah, the Air Force is full of crybabies! The Army will spend weeks in the field without a shower or hot meal and think nothing of it, whereas the Air Force will usually stay in a rear echelon base in a dorm and have a fit if the air conditioning or internet goes out

Someone mentioned personnel a little while ago; I take it that's the customer service folks. Yep, you go to customer service and see a dozen people behind the help desk sitting at their desks and maybe 6 people in the waiting area that have to wait over an hour to be helped.

PburghNo1
09-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Someone mentioned personnel a little while ago; I take it that's the customer service folks. Yep, you go to customer service and see a dozen people behind the help desk sitting at their desks and maybe 6 people in the waiting area that have to wait over an hour to be helped.

Yup...cause that's the only thing Customer Support does is hand out ID cards. Ever thought they were sitting at their desks doing something else for you...or the rest of the base?

Using your stellar logic, all maintainers do is stand there with some wands and wave them at aircraft (who typically aren't listening anyway...) They can't be doing anything else, because I can't see it...therefore it doesn't happen.