PDA

View Full Version : Ok MEB, I tested all components-Come at me, bro. Now about promoting-I don't wanna

Drackore
09-18-2013, 07:54 PM
So I tested all components for the first time on my PT test. Bring it MEB.

Smoked the walked test (2nd time testing on the walk, I'll be perma-walk testing from now on) and for the first time I did crunches. I got two more than the minimum...but hey, that should tell the MEB that I'm improving. I don't know if I can always do crunches, it hurts the day after, but I did them.

Now I am facing my first test cycle for E8. I've been debating that for since putting on MSgt. I started my Master's degree and since hurting my back and being a MSgt and seeing the nonsense going on with the AF...frankly, I don't think I'd survive being a SMSgt. The politics as a MSgt is pretty crappy as it is. Being a SMSgt seems worse. Financially I'm set. I don't need money. Sure extra money is nice, but my family never goes without and debt is minimal and shrinking.

Maybe it's just my unit & base, and a lot of it *IS* me. I don't do politics well at all. I do the JOB. The job is mission and people, not bullshit. I don't give a fuck about officer careers and rubbing elbows. I care about training on equipment and getting shit done and taking care of the people that make it happen. I see the SMSgts on my base. They look so defeated and deflated....empty shells of human beings. I don't want to turn into that.

Your thoughts?

imported_DannyJ
09-18-2013, 08:25 PM
If you don't want it, don't push for it. Easy peasy.

DWWSWWD
09-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't agree that walking for the rest of your career is the same as testing on all four components. That aside, you obviously don't have a SMSgt in your circle that you look up to or want to be like. It's all political bullshit to you and you don't need the money.... Why hang out?

Mcjohn1118
09-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Smoked the walked test (2nd time testing on the walk, I'll be perma-walk testing from now on) and for the first time I did crunches. I got two more than the minimum...but hey, that should tell the MEB that I'm improving. I don't know if I can always do crunches, it hurts the day after, but I did them.

Now I am facing my first test cycle for E8. I've been debating that for since putting on MSgt. I started my Master's degree and since hurting my back and being a MSgt and seeing the nonsense going on with the AF...frankly, I don't think I'd survive being a SMSgt. The politics as a MSgt is pretty crappy as it is. Being a SMSgt seems worse. Financially I'm set. I don't need money. Sure extra money is nice, but my family never goes without and debt is minimal and shrinking.

Maybe it's just my unit & base, and a lot of it *IS* me. I don't do politics well at all. I do the JOB. The job is mission and people, not bullshit. I don't give a fuck about officer careers and rubbing elbows. I care about training on equipment and getting shit done and taking care of the people that make it happen. I see the SMSgts on my base. They look so defeated and deflated....empty shells of human beings. I don't want to turn into that.

Your thoughts?

I accepted the ADSC for two years earlier this April for E-8 and today I requested a waiver to retire next year. The reason was simple. I'm tired. I still love the job and interaction with troops, but I realized I don't need to do this anymore. I'm not looking to be a Chief because I don't want to move anymore so I'm punching, if the ADSC Waiver is approved. I mean, I had a retirement date approved as a MSgt so retiring a year later is no big deal to me. I'm ready.

Pullinteeth
09-19-2013, 12:31 PM

I see the SMSgts on my base. They look so defeated and deflated....empty shells of human beings. I don't want to turn into that.

Your thoughts?

The FIRST time? That means you have been broke for a decade?!?

There are those days.... It might just be my job but as a MSgt, I was pretty much free to do whatever I wanted when I wanted and no one really said shyte... Now? Not so much and some days....

Drackore
09-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Ok for the first time in over 2 yrs. Been getting better slowly. :) Semantics, sheesh. :D

Right now in my unit there are so many freaking MSgts that we are NCOICs. Meh. The SMSgts on this base are punching bags for the E9s and they look it. They are so....broke and empty looking. Yea I can wait and move on and see what it's like elsewhere, but I just have a feeling it's like a plague. If it's happening here, it's gotta be spreading. If not yet, then soon.

Hitting 17 soon. I think I just hit my comfort zone. Is there anything wrong with that? Just stay and do what I am good at and start looking out for myself a little bit? Never really did that before.

imported_DannyJ
09-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Ok for the first time in over 2 yrs. Been getting better slowly. :) Semantics, sheesh. :D

Right now in my unit there are so many freaking MSgts that we are NCOICs. Meh. The SMSgts on this base are punching bags for the E9s and they look it. They are so....broke and empty looking. Yea I can wait and move on and see what it's like elsewhere, but I just have a feeling it's like a plague. If it's happening here, it's gotta be spreading. If not yet, then soon.

Hitting 17 soon. I think I just hit my comfort zone. Is there anything wrong with that? Just stay and do what I am good at and start looking out for myself a little bit? Never really did that before.

You've got to look out for your troops first, but don't expect anyone to take care of you the way you'd take care of yourself. Personally? I've got 13 and change to go, so I can't go down that road quite yet, but I would suggest letting sh*t that doesn't help the misson or the troops slide. Particularly if you decide to jump ship at 20. Some people want to go out with a bang, but I'm more the kind to want to be forgotten the day after I leave. I suppose things may change as I approach retirement though.

20+Years
09-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Hmmm... tough one. I found significant difference from E-7 to E-8. There seems to be a more "hands off me" feel now, and my input seems to be sought out and listened to. I'll tell you the truth though, as a MSgt approaching 20 I was tired, and I'm still tired. That didn't change. Its not terrible though, I am just really starting to look forward to settling down in one place, and things being "normal".

One thing "I" changed when I made SMSgt was with "extra" volunteer bs. I said enough. I am not doing anything I no longer want to do. The committees and all that crap, nope. I am involved where I want to be, in low pressure/stress events. I pretty much decided its someone elses turn, and I can't tell you how much joy that one fact brings me.

Also, a REAL Chief that was about to retire took me under his wing when I promoted. I had a great welcome to being an E-8, not a beat down.

Juggs
09-19-2013, 08:56 PM
I got an excellent on every PT test and still got shown the door medically. A buddy of mine a TACP SMSgt, guys has enough salad on his left chest that would make a mexican general look twice. Get forced to medically retire. Bullshit.

Chief_KO
09-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Congrats on PT (not so much the test, but your rehab / recovery). WRT to SMSgt...what do you want? sounds like you're ready to move on at 20...working on your master's...money is not a driver (and should not be the driver for promotion to SMSgt - CMSgt). Would promotion mean a PCS? (usually does)...how would that impact the family / college?

When you retire, that chapter is done. You want to be in a place (physically, mentally, spiritually, etc.) that you can enjoy the next chapter....not regretting it.