PDA

View Full Version : Rant of the day....feel free to share yours

AlexCross
09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
My rant today is school fundraisers. We are selling pies and wrapping paper. No one wants to buy that crap from one kid...much less three. Then they bait the kids with parties and prizes so you feel bad if the kids don't sell stuff. Each kid has to sell 5 items to attend a pizza party. Might be no problem for some...but we have three kids. Not to mention other fundraisers we have coming up. Dance, soccer, and gymnastics.

End rant

Pullinteeth
09-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Makes you feel like a bit of a heel doesn't it? Esp when you can't sell at work...

Giant Voice
09-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Definitely hate that. Selling overpriced crap with short turnaround time. I remember buying some magazines for my nieces and never received them. Called the distributor and they said they never received the order. Contacted the school and of course they already cashed the checks. With help from the mag distributor, I got the bank to call it check fraud and got my money back. Of course the school denied any wrongdoing. In the end we took the nieces and had our own party at D&B's. They also, thankfully don't go to that school anymore.

LovedtoFly
09-12-2013, 02:46 PM
How about the scout popcorn sales, where it cost $55 for a $5 tin of popcorn!!!

AFcynic
09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
I refuse to allow my kids to participate in the school fundraisers. I have him return that garbage to the teacher. I also don't attend the Local School Night at Sonic/Chick-fil-a/McDonalds. F..k you, school. You'll be getting my tax dollars long after my kids graduate from your school system, because I am a homeowner. I'd consider letting my child peddle your garbage if you tell me that 100% of the proceeds goes to teacher salary increases, and not some kind of new football stadium, sports uniforms, or random extravagance. Otherwise, kiss the fattest part of my a$$.

I also dislike people who sell bottled water/soda at street corners for fundraisers to send the local adult softball team to Orlando/Vegas for a tournament. If your team can't afford to go - DON'T F..KING PLAY.

BENDER56
09-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Y'all might find this relevant:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2013/09/ptas_and_bake_sales_why_volunteering_at_your_kid_s _school_does_not_make.html

AlexCross
09-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Y'all might find this relevant:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2013/09/ptas_and_bake_sales_why_volunteering_at_your_kid_s _school_does_not_make.html

That is a pretty interesting read. I don't mind the involvement part..but it would be nice if we did better fundraisers.

TJMAC77SP
09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I refuse to allow my kids to participate in the school fundraisers. I have him return that garbage to the teacher. I also don't attend the Local School Night at Sonic/Chick-fil-a/McDonalds. F..k you, school. You'll be getting my tax dollars long after my kids graduate from your school system, because I am a homeowner. I'd consider letting my child peddle your garbage if you tell me that 100% of the proceeds goes to teacher salary increases, and not some kind of new football stadium, sports uniforms, or random extravagance. Otherwise, kiss the fattest part of my a$$.

I also dislike people who sell bottled water/soda at street corners for fundraisers to send the local adult softball team to Orlando/Vegas for a tournament. If your team can't afford to go - DON'T F..KING PLAY.

How do you feel about property taxes?

LogDog
09-12-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't mind the fund raisers where the kids have to sell something. What I don't like is when the parents do the work for their kids. The parents will bring a signup list to work or a social gathering and expect people to fork over money so their kid will have the most sales. My policy for years has been if the kid isn't doing the asking and work then I won't buy anything.

AlexCross
09-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I don't mind the fundraisers...it's not just about the crap you get, it's about the kids setting a goal and going out and earning something...I'm glad to donate.

Last Thanksgiving our neighbor kid was selling pies...they were pretty good and saved us having to make a couple pies for T-day.

I don't mind the idea behind it. I just don't like the way these things work now. Parents have to sell. We have three kids in the same school. All three have to sell stuff to get to go to the party. It would be so easy to sell three boxes of Worlds Finest Chocolate. 15 pies??? Not so easy.

imported_chipotleboy
09-13-2013, 02:22 AM
I don't mind the idea behind it. I just don't like the way these things work now. Parents have to sell. We have three kids in the same school. All three have to sell stuff to get to go to the party. It would be so easy to sell three boxes of Worlds Finest Chocolate. 15 pies??? Not so easy.

I'm a sucker for the World's Finest Chocolate bars. I can't resist a sales pitch for those. Especially if they have almonds.

Rizzo77
09-13-2013, 03:45 AM
I don't like being guilted into buying shit so that a kid can get the appropriate pads and/or helmets to protect himself to play football. I already pay A LOT of taxes.

I will occasionally buy chocalate, though, because those kids shouldn't have to go without due to the misdirection of the dollars that should be for them. The student athletes deserve better than going door to door.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-13-2013, 09:05 AM
My rant today is school fundraisers. We are selling pies and wrapping paper. No one wants to buy that crap from one kid...much less three. Then they bait the kids with parties and prizes so you feel bad if the kids don't sell stuff. Each kid has to sell 5 items to attend a pizza party. Might be no problem for some...but we have three kids. Not to mention other fundraisers we have coming up. Dance, soccer, and gymnastics.

End rant

Stop grumbling! This is excellent training for them because once they join the Air Force they will be way ahead on the front of planning fund raisers.

Start looking at getting them into leadership positions for the fund raiser committees now because the promotion boards will be looking at what they did as a fifth and sixth grader when their records go up to the eighth and ninth grade boards.

RS6405
09-13-2013, 10:17 AM
My rant: people who are broken records.....

Whether its a co-worker, boss, or friend that person keeps harping on the same darn thing over and over again for months on end.

USMC0341
09-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Whether its a co-worker, boss, or friend that person keeps harping on the same darn thing over and over again for months on end.

Or when I have to tell the same group of people multiple times every week, what they need to do, yet when I ask if they completed it yet i get a damn deer in headlights look. And people wonder why some need to be micromanaged... If you are making 6 figures, I shouldn't need to tell you how to do your damn job.

AlexCross
09-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Or when I have to tell the same group of people multiple times every week, what they need to do, yet when I ask if they completed it yet i get a damn deer in headlights look. And people wonder why some need to be micromanaged... If you are making 6 figures, I shouldn't need to tell you how to do your damn job.

Kind of like kids...except you expect it more from them. One of the kids is seriously not a morning person. The youngest takes 10 minutes just to put on her socks. No matter how early we wake her up she is still the last one ready.

BENDER56
09-13-2013, 07:55 PM

What's a "broken record"?

Class5Kayaker
09-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Fundraisers.....I HATE them (I have three daughters). I would much rather just donate $XX to your cause. If I want a cheesecake, I can buy it at the store for $10 and give you $15 towards your cause instead of buying the cheesecake from your fundraiser for $25, then the company running the fundraiser takes their $11, and your cause only gets $4. Makes absolutely ZERO sense. I also hate the baiting of the kids with prizes, parties, etc. It's always the kid whose mom/dad is one of the big-wigs at their place of work who sells the most...gee I wonder why? And when my kids were younger they couldn't understand why their dad was prohibited from selling the stuff at his AF job. At least they're old enough to understand now.

My pet-peeve lately is people who don't use their blinker. I have no problem if no one is close to you and you're changing lanes on the freeway. What I'm talking about is the SOB who sees you waiting to enter traffic and knows he's turning on to the side-street you're on and refuses to use their blinker which would let me know you could pull out in to trafic on the street you've been waiting 5 minutes to turn out on to. Once you realize the dumb/rude-fuck is turning it's too late and you can't seize the opportunity to turn out on to the main street. Is it really that difficult to apply a whole once or two of pressure on that lever conveniently located within reach of your hand that's already at the 10'oclock position of the steering wheel??!!! ASSHOLE! Oh, and people who don't wave when we're stuck in traffic and I'm the one nice guy out there who lets you change lanes so you can get off on your exit. Is it that hard to give me a quick wave to say thanks? ASSHOLE!

/rant......thanks for letting me vent before I go out and experience it all again since it's the end of the duty day.

Chief_KO
09-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Tailgaters or speeders in general. Ride my a$$, pass me as soon as you can, then I pull up next to you at the next traffic light. Yep, you beat me there by 10 seconds!
Maybe cause I'm retired...I'm really not in a hurry anymore. I don't putt around, I don't leave my turn signal on, but what's the rush? Especially in the winter or when the weather is bad...slow the F down.