PDA

View Full Version : ID card proccess

Filterbing
09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
So the base MPF does ID cards by appt. However you can't get an appt except for about 30 days out since they are always booked up. You can walk in but it's on standby and is expected to be a 4-6 hr wait. Is this happening anywhere else? Who the hell decided that this was good enough? Hell, the local DMV got me taken care of in 45 mins as a walk in.

troop: hey boss we have no appts available for a month at a time and it's been that way for a year now.
jack ass leadership: um.... let them come in on standby
troop: but that would be say.... maybe a 4-6 hr wait and that has been consistent for a year as well.
jack ass leadership: I'm good with that

WTF!

Capt Alfredo
09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
So the base MPF does ID cards by appt. However you can't get an appt except for about 30 days out since they are always booked up. You can walk in but it's on standby and is expected to be a 4-6 hr wait. Is this happening anywhere else? Who the hell decided that this was good enough? Hell, the local DMV got me taken care of in 45 mins as a walk in.

troop: hey boss we have no appts available for a month at a time and it's been that way for a year now.
troop: but that would be say.... maybe a 4-6 hr wait and that has been consistent for a year as well.

WTF!

You need BRUWIN to accompany you to the MPF. Just make sure he's wearing his retiree sandals with black socks and the retired chief trucker hat. That guy can make things happen.

LogDog
09-11-2013, 06:45 PM

WTF!
Does your base MPF have a once-a-month Saturday for IDs? I know the base I retired at did and it helped make it easier for people to get their IDs.

SomeRandomGuy
09-11-2013, 07:19 PM

WTF!

I wonder if you are talking about the same base I am at (WPAFB). If so I can provide a little insight on this problem. I used to have several friends there so I always had the "hookup" if I really needed an ID but others were stuck waiting. From what I was told there are ceratin days where you might as well not bother stopping by for an APPT. Other times you could pretty much walk right in and get an ID within 15 minutes. There are multiple parts to this issue.

1.) Common Access Cards (CAC) can only be made by a DEERS enabled terminal
2.) The amount of DEERS enabled terminals are controlled by HQ AF (or someone at that level) indivual bases have no medium to get additional terminals.
3.) Even in the best case scenario it takes the terminal about 10 minutes to print and code a CAC.
4.) At certain times MPF is flooded due to situations out of their control.

As an example of number 4 base contracting has began writing dual award contracts that include a base year and then 4 option years. This means all contractors on the contract have to get a new ID issued every single year. If contracting is slow awarding the contract the contractors may not be verified in CVS until the last day of the contract. This means all of them go to MPF on the same day as walk ins. Last year contracting had issues getting my contract awarded. They ended up having to award 2 bridge options (2 weeks each) before finally awarding a one year contract. This meant that 45 people on the contract were issued 3 different IDs in the same month (2 temporary and then a 1 year). No matter how well you plan you do not necissarily anticipate issing 135 ID cards in the same month to the same 45 people (3 each). If an ID card takes 10 minues to print that was an additional 900 minutes (15 hours) wasted because of a situation outside MPFs control. Im sure there are other things that happen I just wanted to bring up one example. It really isn't piss poor leadership at the unit level. It is piss poor leadership at the AF level not providing enough terminals to accomodate a surge.

EDIT: I also remember when a ceratin CMSgt (or AB depending on how you refer to him) was under investigation for sexual misconduct. Because he was under investigation he could not retire but he also could not re-enlist. This meant he was given 2 weeks extensions. He had to get a new ID card every 2 weeks for a little over a year. He was pretty much a regular at MPF. The funny thing is that they give priority to CMSgt and Col so he never had to wait like the rest of us. I have often thought that if people with rank were treated the same as the rest of us things would get changed rather quickly. If the system is good enough for an A1C to use why would a CMSgt or Col not just use the same process?

Pullinteeth
09-11-2013, 07:50 PM
EDIT: I also remember when a ceratin CMSgt (or AB depending on how you refer to him) was under investigation for sexual misconduct. Because he was under investigation he could not retire but he also could not re-enlist. This meant he was given 2 weeks extensions. He had to get a new ID card every 2 weeks for a little over a year. He was pretty much a regular at MPF. The funny thing is that they give priority to CMSgt and Col so he never had to wait like the rest of us. I have often thought that if people with rank were treated the same as the rest of us things would get changed rather quickly. If the system is good enough for an A1C to use why would a CMSgt or Col not just use the same process?

For the same reason a base loses their shit when a DV is coming.... No one wants to air their dirty laundry in front of someone that can actually comment on it and be heard....

Sarge 25+
09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
If you have an Army/AF/Navy/CG National Guard or Reserve unit as a tennant unit on base, they may also have an MPE you can go to with little to no waiting as they also have DEERs access.

efmbman
09-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Here is a link to RAPIDS locations:

http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e1s1

Using this can save a lot of time as it lists capabilities and phone numbers in most cases.

PburghNo1
09-11-2013, 08:49 PM
2.) The amount of DEERS enabled terminals are controlled by HQ AF (or someone at that level) indivual bases have no medium to get additional terminals.

This. We recently (within the last 2 years) had 2 new tenant units show up on base and added about 750 personnel to the population, and when we asked DMDC (the agency that "controls" the terminals) if that qualified us for more than 3 terminals (population of about 3000 AD/Res) they said no. I was amazed that Manpower said we qual'd for another position in the MPS due to the addition (unfunded/unfilled, of course) but DMDC said we couldn't have another terminal--it's like they're gold or something.

3.) Even in the best case scenario it takes the terminal about 10 minutes to print and code a CAC.

That's definitely a "Best Case"--we routinely (with our 3 terminals) were looking at 15-20 minutes because they send you "refurbished" parts when a terminal goes down--so you never know what you're going to get or how it's going to mesh with what you've got. (Which happened at least a week out of the month) Oh, and they don't allow us to troubleshoot or try and fix anything ourselves, either.

Airborne
09-11-2013, 09:18 PM

WTF!

Just go to the next base over (of any service).

Chief_KO
09-11-2013, 10:16 PM
If the system is good enough for an A1C to use why would a CMSgt or Col not just use the same process?

I totally agree. As a Chief I signed in and took a seat. When I first arrived at current base, as a Chief I was assigned to flight med vs family practice. My records were mis-coded as SSgt_KO...the flight surgeon asked if I as a/c or PRP, when I said no she asked why I was in flight medicine (she never took the time to look at my sleeves or try to ascertain why a 49 year old would be a SSgt...I transfered myself to family practice (where I have an OUTSTANDING PCM!!!!)

It chapped my ass to hear my peers brag on getting the "velvet rope" treatment. Hell, I did my own DTS!

Make an O-6 or E-9 take a number...it'll last about 5 minutes. As for AB W.G. he should have always had to sign and sit...unless the MPF was worried he might assault any nearby females.

TomTom093
09-11-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm fortunate to be at a tenant unit that has their own DEERS machine. When things go wrong with my CAC, I can be in and out within maybe 15-20 minutes.

technomage1
09-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Groan...so what do you do when life happens and your CAC breaks, rusts (this actually happened to me, and no I did not wash it) or gets stolen?

You lose a day of duty, apparently. Jeesh what a idiotic system. I have to renew mine in a few months, guess I'd better make an appt now.

technomage1
09-12-2013, 12:32 AM
I totally agree. As a Chief I signed in and took a seat. When I first arrived at current base, as a Chief I was assigned to flight med vs family practice. My records were mis-coded as SSgt_KO...the flight surgeon asked if I as a/c or PRP, when I said no she asked why I was in flight medicine (she never took the time to look at my sleeves or try to ascertain why a 49 year old would be a SSgt...I transfered myself to family practice (where I have an OUTSTANDING PCM!!!!)

It chapped my ass to hear my peers brag on getting the "velvet rope" treatment. Hell, I did my own DTS!

Make an O-6 or E-9 take a number...it'll last about 5 minutes. As for AB W.G. he should have always had to sign and sit...unless the MPF was worried he might assault any nearby females.

Chief....anyone bragging about getting special treatment isn't your peer. They're an E9.

Bunch
09-12-2013, 12:54 AM
If you have an Army/AF/Navy/CG National Guard or Reserve unit as a tennant unit on base, they may also have an MPE you can go to with little to no waiting as they also have DEERs access.

^^^ THIS!!

When I was stationed at Buckley AFB it was a hassle to get an appointment to get ID at the base MPF. There was a little Navy Rerserve detachment where you could go and get ID in less than 15 min no appointment needed.

BENDER56
09-12-2013, 01:15 AM
^^^ THIS!!

When I was stationed at Buckley AFB it was a hassle to get an appointment to get ID at the base MPF. There was a little Navy Rerserve detachment where you could go and get ID in less than 15 min no appointment needed.

Maybe it's just the Navy. My last assignment was in Pensacola and I never had any problems at the NAS Pensacola PSD. You'd make an appointment on line for a few days out, show up a few minutes early, get seen and be on your way. They were even friendly and helpful.

SomeRandomGuy
09-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Maybe it's just the Navy. My last assignment was in Pensacola and I never had any problems at the NAS Pensacola PSD. You'd make an appointment on line for a few days out, show up a few minutes early, get seen and be on your way. They were even friendly and helpful.

Maybe The Air Force MPF should close for training for a day so they could learn a few things. I think all here would be in favor.

TomTom093
09-12-2013, 02:44 AM
They already close every week...

imported_Renazance
09-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Here is a link to RAPIDS locations:

http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e1s1

Using this can save a lot of time as it lists capabilities and phone numbers in most cases.

Kind of ironic the program name RAPIDS.

Mcjohn1118
09-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Like SRG, I am at WPAFB. We have a reserve wing attached (445 AW) and they have an MPF. However, they are not too accomodating, at least in my experiance. However, here's a way, at least at WPAFB to beat the crowds and get in/out. And I'm not talking about calling in favors as a Chief or Col might do. You see, the MPF here opens at 0800 or 0830,I can't remember. Oh, I think they are still closed on Thursdays for training, but back to my secret. You can start seeing folks line up at their main entrance sometimes 15-20 minutes early. However, on the other side of the facility is the Airman and Family Readiness Center. They open at 0730 and if you enter there, you can walk down the hallway. There are a few chairs right outside the main waiting area for ID cards. Just chill...it's a little dark, but once the clerks start turning on lights and go to unlock the main doors, you can go right to the terminal and sign in first.

BRUWIN
09-12-2013, 12:13 PM
You need BRUWIN to accompany you to the MPF. Just make sure he's wearing his retiree sandals with black socks and the retired chief trucker hat. That guy can make things happen.

You kidding me? I'm a retiree now....I'm a 4-6 hour wait guy. Well not really...the young SrA that's been in that office for like three years now always hooks me up with a new card pretty quick. He has had me and the kids out of there in record time when they've lost their ID cards.. But if I didn't deal with him while I was in uniform I would be waiting....still.

BOSS302
09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
You kidding me? I'm a retiree now....I'm a 4-6 hour wait guy. Well not really...the young SrA that's been in that office for like three years now always hooks me up with a new card pretty quick. He has had me and the kids out of there in record time when they've lost their ID cards.. But if I didn't deal with him while I was in uniform I would be waiting....still.

Grotesque display of cronyism.

Dickie
09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
I am not sure they still do it, but at Kirtland they had a ID card section at the Air Guard unit - no waiting. There wasn't usually anyone waiting in there. After I had to get a CAC from MPS on the active side a Guard buddy suggested I just go to the guard unit and sign in. They took care of me in 10 min vs 3-4 hour wait on the active side.

retiredAFcivvy
09-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I wonder if you are talking about the same base I am at (WPAFB). If so I can provide a little insight on this problem. I used to have several friends there so I always had the "hookup" if I really needed an ID but others were stuck waiting. From what I was told there are ceratin days where you might as well not bother stopping by for an APPT. Other times you could pretty much walk right in and get an ID within 15 minutes. There are multiple parts to this issue.

1.) Common Access Cards (CAC) can only be made by a DEERS enabled terminal
4.) At certain times MPF is flooded due to situations out of their control.

As an example of number 4 base contracting has began writing dual award contracts that include a base year and then 4 option years. This means all contractors on the contract have to get a new ID issued every single year. If contracting is slow awarding the contract the contractors may not be verified in CVS until the last day of the contract. This means all of them go to MPF on the same day as walk ins. Last year contracting had issues getting my contract awarded. They ended up having to award 2 bridge options (2 weeks each) before finally awarding a one year contract. This meant that 45 people on the contract were issued 3 different IDs in the same month (2 temporary and then a 1 year). No matter how well you plan you do not necissarily anticipate issing 135 ID cards in the same month to the same 45 people (3 each). If an ID card takes 10 minues to print that was an additional 900 minutes (15 hours) wasted because of a situation outside MPFs control. Im sure there are other things that happen I just wanted to bring up one example. It really isn't piss poor leadership at the unit level. It is piss poor leadership at the AF level not providing enough terminals to accomodate a surge.

Not absolutely sure of the process but I don't believe that contractor's passes are processed through MPF at every base. Some have visitors centers that issue those, even the one year ones.

SomeRandomGuy
09-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Not absolutely sure of the process but I don't believe that contractor's passes are processed through MPF at every base. Some have visitors centers that issue those, even the one year ones.

I'm talking about Common Access Cards (CAC) for contractors not visitor passes. As far as I know MPF is the only organization that issues CAC cards no matter what base you are at. The process for getting the CAC can vary from base to base though. At most places the contractor's unit must verify them in Contractor Verification System (CVS) before they can be issued a CAC. Once verifed in CVS their information automatically flows to DEERS. In order for the unit to verify the contractor in CVS contracting must award the contract. That is the issue my company ran into. Our contract was up for re-bid and contracting drug their feet. On the last day of the old contract they realized they could not award the new contract yet so they had to award a bridge option for 2 weeks. At the end of that 2 week period they still couldn't award the contract so they issued another bridge for 2 weeks. About halfway through that option they finally awarded a new contract for one year. That is what caused us to get 3 different ID cards in less than a month. MPF wasn't very happy about it but there was nothing we could do because the problem was either incompetence or laziness on the part of contracting.

BOSS302
09-13-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm talking about Common Access Cards (CAC) for contractors not visitor passes. As far as I know MPF is the only organization that issues CAC cards no matter what base you are at. The process for getting the CAC can vary from base to base though. At most places the contractor's unit must verify them in Contractor Verification System (CVS) before they can be issued a CAC. Once verifed in CVS their information automatically flows to DEERS. In order for the unit to verify the contractor in CVS contracting must award the contract. That is the issue my company ran into. Our contract was up for re-bid and contracting drug their feet. On the last day of the old contract they realized they could not award the new contract yet so they had to award a bridge option for 2 weeks. At the end of that 2 week period they still couldn't award the contract so they issued another bridge for 2 weeks. About halfway through that option they finally awarded a new contract for one year. That is what caused us to get 3 different ID cards in less than a month. MPF wasn't very happy about it but there was nothing we could do because the problem was either incompetence or laziness on the part of contracting.

Common Access Card cards

Rainmaker
09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Rainmaker would rather get a root canal than have to spend 4-6 hours waiting to renew his ID card in the hellhole of an MPF at a base which shall remain nameless and rhymes with RacDill.

wxjumper
09-13-2013, 04:42 PM
At Hurlburt my CAC card all of a sudden stopped working in the Computer. I went to MPF as a walk-in and only had to wait about 30 min.

Pullinteeth
09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
At Hurlburt my CAC card all of a sudden stopped working in the Computer. I went to MPF as a walk-in and only had to wait about 30 min.

Yeah but keep in mind there are what? 4? 5? Locations within an hour or so of Hurlburt that you can get a CAC @? You have Eglin, Duke, P-Cola, Corry, Hurlburt and depending on how fast you drive, Whiting.

sharkhunter
09-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Just go to the next base over (of any service).

Can you really do that? I thought only your own MPF can service you with ID issues?
The reason I asked was a few weeks ago, my sup went TDY and his wife texted him that her ID was expiring that weekend AND as it turned out, that Friday was a down day for our base, but not for the base 5 mins away. Yet, the MPF would not help her and they told her to go to her sponsor's MPF. That might've been just a one off case (or jealously since we were off and they weren't).

Chief_KO
09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Any installation of any service can do ID cards.

wxjumper
09-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah but keep in mind there are what? 4? 5? Locations within an hour or so of Hurlburt that you can get a CAC @? You have Eglin, Duke, P-Cola, Corry, Hurlburt and depending on how fast you drive, Whiting.You can get IDs at Duke Field???? Pensacola is longer than an hour drive. On a good traffic day, you can get to the Naval station in about 1:15. FYI, there are no good traffic days on 98.

RFScott
09-13-2013, 11:42 PM
You can get IDs at Duke Field???? Pensacola is longer than an hour drive. On a good traffic day, you can get to the Naval station in about 1:15. FYI, there are no good traffic days on 98.

You can get IDs at Duke. My wife used to work in the MPF there when she was an ART. Apparently they don't get a lot of customers there that request CAC cards either, so I don't imagine there would be much of a line.

wxjumper
09-14-2013, 12:02 AM
You can get IDs at Duke. My wife used to work in the MPF there when she was an ART. Apparently they don't get a lot of customers there that request CAC cards either, so I don't imagine there would be much of a line.
ahh. Don't know much about Duke. Thought it was just a dirt strip in the Eglin range.

RFScott
09-14-2013, 12:10 AM
ahh. Don't know much about Duke. Thought it was just a dirt strip in the Eglin range.

They don't have much there, but they do have some facilities you would see at a normal base. I think they have gotten a bit busier there since the 7th SFG moved in across Hwy 85 from them.

retiredAFcivvy
09-14-2013, 04:56 AM

I'm not sure why the difference but at our base the contractors are not issued true CAC cards. The visitors center issues a contractors ID for one year. I guess it can be scanned just like the CAC card. The reason I know that as a retired civilian, I am authorized an ID card issued by the MPF. I had to get a new one the other day and forgot about the MPF issuing the card. I went to the visitors center and they issued me a 1 year contractor pass based off a retired civilian ID (not a card you can get on base with). After realizing that was not like I previously had I went to the MPF (no lines) and got the correct card. This card is valid to get on any AF installation where contractor IDs are base specific. Now in your situation as a contractor if you are authorized to log on the base computer system then I guess you would have to be issued a CAC card.

BENDER56
09-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah but keep in mind there are what? 4? 5? Locations within an hour or so of Hurlburt that you can get a CAC @? You have Eglin, Duke, P-Cola, Corry, Hurlburt and depending on how fast you drive, Whiting.

Corry didn't have a PSD when I was there. Had to go to NASP (... or Whiting, Hurlburt, Duke, Eglin, etc.).

TiggerBlueDevil
09-15-2013, 04:47 PM

That must've been nice. Mine died on me at 0700 once and it took me half an hour just to impart to the person behind the counter that they had to replace my CAC that day. Mind you, their office was empty, there was no one in line, and this yahoo kept insisting I had to get an appointment - also, no one came in while I was very patiently trying to explain why I had to be seen, yet when I went online, all appointment times were shown as filled. WTF??

It took me an hour, and as I said, half of that was trying to get an answer as to why, with an empty office and no one coming in, they couldn't just issue the thing?

Chief_KO
09-16-2013, 12:46 AM
If you have a CAC reader on your keyboard sometimes you get the CAC read error. Try unplugging/replugging the USB cable from the keyboard. The CAC is okay, just a read problem fixed by reseating the USB cable.

Pullinteeth
09-16-2013, 02:04 PM
You can get IDs at Duke Field???? Pensacola is longer than an hour drive. On a good traffic day, you can get to the Naval station in about 1:15. FYI, there are no good traffic days on 98.

Yep...they have an FSS, clinic (don't bother), shopette, chow hall (only open on UTAs-I think), and a gas station... You really need to drive faster. :car

True there isn't much of a line but that doesn't mean they are all that quick....

Test Match
09-19-2013, 01:59 AM
I am a Trusted Agent for what was formerly known as CVS, now called Trusted Associate Sponsorship System (TASS) for contractor CACs. In my unit we have three different contractors with about 120 folks in all. Of that, currently 79 of them need network access, and get CACs. I do paperwork for the AF Form 75, Visitor's Pass, for the others once SFS verifies they are allowed on base by checking the NCIC database. A little more than 40 of that 120 also need Controlled Area Badges. The problem I was having is contractor's leaving with these credentials and I only find out about it after they're gone. My solution...no new contractor employee for that company was getting CACs or badges until I got the other ones back. A couple of contract managers had issues with it at first, but my deputy had my back. I can revoke the CACs in TASS, but they can still access bases. SFS don't always check IDs with their scanners at this base so they would not know the CAC was revoked.