PDA

View Full Version : All things Techie..

AlexCross
09-11-2013, 06:04 PM
A thread about the newest gadgets. Phones, surround sound, televions, and more.

THe Cross parents have iPhone 5's, Wouldn't mind the newest one though.

Anyone buying the new iPhone yet?

Pullinteeth
09-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Hate the apple puters cause I am used to the regular ones-getting used to 'em but... HATE cell phones-have my electronic leash but have thus far been able to resist the wife on getting me my own. Have some nice Klipsh speakers that are so outdated now it isn't even funny... Got a BluRay player last year (ish). Still have a VHS player and a record player.

LogDog
09-11-2013, 06:43 PM
The most recent tech equipment I have, other than my desktop and laptop computers, is an iPod 4. My cell phone is from Great Calls and it a basic phone which I normally use for emergencies like last month when I caught a bicycle thief in the act. I do have the large Kindle Fire HD which I like when I go somewhere and I know they don't have free wifi.

My two TVs (32-in and 20-in) are 11 year-old analog and they'll be replaced when they finally breakdown. My stereo equipment is 20 years old as is the Bose speakers. When the 32-in goes out I'll get a 55 or 60 inch flat screen LCD TV and most likely a sound system for it.

I'm not afraid of technology but I usually wait until something breaks before getting the latest tech products.

CYBERFX1024
09-11-2013, 07:05 PM
I absolutely hate Apple IPad/IPhone/Ianything. I hate how Apple is so insecure about it's products that they are only NOW are allowing us to do more without having to jailbreak the phones.

Both me and the wife have the huge GSM Galaxy Note phones, which workout great when we are on the couch and we want to use it online. They work like a tablet.

I have a 40inch tv I got last year cheap as hell The last techie items I have two laptops.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-12-2013, 12:28 AM
I love Apple products! Never have any problems with them crashing or running slow and in my opinion they are much more secure than Windows and Android based products.

Microsoft lost me when they came out with Vista, switched over to a MacBook on my next upgrade and haven't looked back.

Recently picked up an iPad and use it almost exclusively now and I've never felt a need to jailbreak any of my devices.

CYBERFX1024
09-12-2013, 01:08 AM
I love Apple products! Never have any problems with them crashing or running slow and in my opinion they are much more secure than Windows and Android based products.
Microsoft lost me when they came out with Vista, switched over to a MacBook on my next upgrade and haven't looked back.
Recently picked up an iPad and use it almost exclusively now and I've never felt a need to jailbreak any of my devices.

Well that's you but me I got to have the openness to use it when I want too and how I want too. That's why I love GSM phones and not the ones normally sold in the USA. I like being able to use a sim card and change providers when I want to and how I want. I don't like being stuck with a provider just because of a stupid phone.

LogDog
09-12-2013, 05:52 AM

The only problem I have with my iPod Touch 4 is with the Notes app. Sometimes I'll make a note and the two days later it disappears. IJ haven't figure out an answer for that yet. Other than that it works fine.

sandsjames
09-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Mac is great if all you're doing is multimedia type stuff (though way, way overpriced). But they know they can charge what they want because their users are so overly loyal (or just anti-Microsoft) that they will pay 3 to 4 times the amount of a very similar, or better, PC just to say they have a Mac.

AlexCross
09-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Mac is great if all you're doing is multimedia type stuff (though way, way overpriced). But they know they can charge what they want because their users are so overly loyal (or just anti-Microsoft) that they will pay 3 to 4 times the amount of a very similar, or better, PC just to say they have a Mac.

I don't have a Mac. I do have an ipad I bought about two years ago. I have a Toshiba laptop we bought around four years ago. The kids use it for homework. There is an even older desktop with no internet connection in the gameroom that the kids use for games. I am debating a new ipad or other tablet.

poindexter
09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I am a huge tech nerd, I have a 17in MacBook Pro, my son has a 15 in MacBook and an iphone, my oldest has a HP mini and an iphone, we have an iPad, Galaxy Note Tab; I have a Note 2, Chromecast, Roku and an Apple TV. I haven’t purchased anything new minus the Chromecast. We still have 2 VHS players and I still an 8-track player with some cassettes that I got when my grandmother died.

71Fish
09-12-2013, 12:46 PM
I had a Droid X2...when I was eligible for an "upgrade"...I downgraded back to a basic flip phone and I am a better man for it.

Smart phones are evil.

I agree, I held out for a long time only having a slide phone. Then it happened, I got an iPhone 5 and now I can't take a crap without taking the phone to the bathroom with me so I can check things; facebook, news, sports, etc.

When I was at Kunsan, the laptop I brought over died within a week of arriving. I bought the cheapest laptop they had which was a Toshiba. Good enough computer, but it is slowly dying. I may get an iPad to replace it, or a small notebook computer. Or I may just use the desktop that is collecting dust.

USMC0341
09-12-2013, 01:39 PM
i have slowed down a bit onthe tech front, but still a tech addict. I have migrated from apple products to android-- Galaxy note 10.1 Tablet (European model, has SIM card for phone and internet), Nexus 4. Mostly I spent on home audio video equiptment for our theater/video game room.

i have been debating lately whetheror not to purchse a new Macbook to replace our HP laptop, but couldn't justify the cost, so instead just plunked down a ridiculous amount on 8Gb of Memory... hope Ichose correctly.

those of you with Macbooks, would you buy another without thinking twice, or does the cost outweigh the performance?

Interceptor
09-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Is funny that Apple second chance to live was because they were deemed the "anti-Microsoft" and they ended up becoming worst than Microsoft.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-13-2013, 08:49 AM
i have slowed down a bit onthe tech front, but still a tech addict. I have migrated from apple products to android-- Galaxy note 10.1 Tablet (European model, has SIM card for phone and internet), Nexus 4. Mostly I spent on home audio video equiptment for our theater/video game room.

i have been debating lately whetheror not to purchse a new Macbook to replace our HP laptop, but couldn't justify the cost, so instead just plunked down a ridiculous amount on 8Gb of Memory... hope Ichose correctly.

those of you with Macbooks, would you buy another without thinking twice, or does the cost outweigh the performance?

Although you can't get a MacBook for less than a grand, I think you get a longer life span out of your MacBook than with any Windows based laptop.

With Microsoft you've got updates every first Tuesday of the month to contend with and I'm convinced that is what kills those machines so quickly. Sooner or later some file gets corrupted and you start having crashes, plus they are in constant reaction mode to security threats.

The iOS is much more stable and has fewer threats because there are less people using it, the people who write malware go after they larger market, generally.

However, I think it depends on what you are going to use it for. For straight Internet browsing and social media I say go with an iPad.

I'm going to school again and I do write a lot of papers so I do prefer a desktop or my MacBook for that. Otherwise, I'm on my iPad all the time but I have typed out a rough draft on the iPad and justed emailed it to myself at school.

I bought eBook versions of my texts books this semester and can't believe how quickly I got used to them.

I think the laptop market will be gone in a couple of years, it will be all tablets.

USMC0341
09-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Although you can't get a MacBook for less than a grand, I think you get a longer life span out of your MacBook than with any Windows based laptop.

With Microsoft you've got updates every first Tuesday of the month to contend with and I'm convinced that is what kills those machines so quickly. Sooner or later some file gets corrupted and you start having crashes, plus they are in constant reaction mode to security threats.

The iOS is much more stable and has fewer threats because there are less people using it, the people who write malware go after they larger market, generally.

However, I think it depends on what you are going to use it for. For straight Internet browsing and social media I say go with an iPad.

I'm going to school again and I do write a lot of papers so I do prefer a desktop or my MacBook for that. Otherwise, I'm on my iPad all the time but I have typed out a rough draft on the iPad and justed emailed it to myself at school.

I bought eBook versions of my texts books this semester and can't believe how quickly I got used to them.

I think the laptop market will be gone in a couple of years, it will be all tablets.

mostly it will be used for business type work, with the occasional movie. I am just getting tired of my Microsoft OS issues. but like you mentioned it will be over a grand when going apple.

As far as Tablets go, i do a lot of y work on my Galaxy Note 10.1, it is extremely good when it comes to functionality, i can do anything i can on my desktop. the only downside is the small screen and bluetooth keypboard options for on the go.