PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 amd kids

AlexCross
09-11-2013, 02:29 PM
How do you explain the significance of today to your kids?

Our kids weren't born when the planes hit. But they all know what happened. They have seen the footage and we have talked about it.

imnohero
09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
It's an important historical event to them, but will not have the impact to them it has to us. they don't have an emotional connection to the event, ya know?

That said, they are a little young to grasp the complexities of the event and what they mean. I think it's enough they know it's a historical day and it's important. As they get older you can tell them more about it.

sandsjames
09-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Also, they don't know what it was like before it happened, so I think that makes it much easier. I'm not sure they will ever really understand the impact, any more than I really understand the impact of the JFK/MLK assassination, etc.

AlexCross
09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Also, they don't know what it was like before it happened, so I think that makes it much easier. I'm not sure they will ever really understand the impact, any more than I really understand the impact of the JFK/MLK assassination, etc.

Very good point. The kids don't know what it was like before. They also don't know what it was like directly after when America really came together.

CYBERFX1024
09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
This morning as I was getting my kids ready for school. I had MSNBC on the tv and they were doing a broadcast of the news on 9/11. My kids who are 6 and 4 were just looking at the tv and not really contemplating what was going. My son just thought it was weird that their was towers on fire.

AlexCross
09-11-2013, 03:23 PM
This morning as I was getting my kids ready for school. I had MSNBC on the tv and they were doing a broadcast of the news on 9/11. My kids who are 6 and 4 were just looking at the tv and not really contemplating what was going. My son just thought it was weird that their was towers on fire.

I remember a few years ago the oldest two came home talking about bad guys attacking America. That is when we sat them down and talked to them about it.

BENDER56
09-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Exactly. For good or ill, things that were of great consequence to one generation become nothing more than an historical event to the next. Let's face it; few people really care about December 7th anymore. Just as nobody cares about The Maine or The Alamo.

Or, as the Romans used to say, tempus f***ing fugit.

TSgt"M"
09-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Had my class do a "moment of silence" this morning at 8:46. I have juniors and seniors and they got it.

giggawatt
09-12-2013, 05:28 AM
I tell them it never really happened and that it was a big government conspiracy.

not srs

Juggs
09-13-2013, 04:32 PM
How about explaining to the young troops that were 6 years old when it happened, how it looked. Shit, many of the privates and young airmen don't even remember it because they were so young.

ttribe
09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
I took my boys to the Statue of liberty last year. They could clearly see the new towers going up across the river, and the memorial at the Jersey side boat terminal. We talked about it a bit. I'm sure they are as informed about it as I was about Kennedy's assassination and Vietnam as I grew up. you just sort of learn about it slowly as you grow up. I didn't want to sit them down and bum them out with all of the horrific details of the day.