PDA

View Full Version : Thread death matches

kool-aid
09-11-2013, 04:34 AM
I've noticed some people would like to see some of the past heated debates, and I know the policy of the MTF is to keep everyone calm and discussing things like adults, but has there been any thought to a section where pretty much anything goes, but you have to read and understand that before you read or participate? Sorta like a thread death match where people can discuss heated topics, and anyone who would be offended should know going it that they may be offended, so they can't complain. But it has to stay in that area and not spread into all of the other sections. Might be a good draw for MTF.

CJSmith
09-11-2013, 04:49 AM
I've noticed some people would like to see some of the past heated debates, and I know the policy of the MTF is to keep everyone calm and discussing things like adults, but has there been any thought to a section where pretty much anything goes, but you have to read and understand that before you read or participate? Sorta like a thread death match where people can discuss heated topics, and anyone who would be offended should know going it that they may be offended, so they can't complain. But it has to stay in that area and not spread into all of the other sections. Might be a good draw for MTF.

Won't happen. Somebody is bound to get their gina hurt and complain.

Mjölnir
09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't think the Forum Admin or any of the Moderators do not want people to discuss heated topics, even in a heated manner but within the Community Guidelines (which if you have read them and understand them actually are not that restrictive at all.).

Users can get heated, emotional and even excited about topics and there is a lot of room to express yourself without running afoul of the Guidelines.

efmbman
09-11-2013, 11:35 AM
There was this suggestion along the same lines:

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1596668-Moderated-Debates

Pullinteeth
09-11-2013, 05:24 PM
There was this suggestion along the same lines:

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1596668-Moderated-Debates

More of an opposite proposal. The link suggests a structured debate. This suggestion was for a debate with no rules....

imnohero
09-11-2013, 05:31 PM
how would you propose such an "anything goes" attitude remain confined to that area? Knowing the personalities here, it would go something like this:

section opens
someone gets butthurt
insults spill over into other threads
mods delete those posts
insults continue to spill over in other threads
mods ban people
people bitch and whine about getting banned and blame the mods for it
Section gets closed for good

I predict the whole thing would take less than a week.

efmbman
09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
I predict the whole thing would take less than a week.

I say 72 hours, tops.

20+Years
09-11-2013, 06:34 PM
You also forgot those who would say, "I don't like what this forum has become. I'm leaving forever. Again."

efmbman
09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
You also forgot those who would say, "I don't like what this forum has become. I'm leaving forever. Again."

That also seems to last about 72 hours.