PDA

View Full Version : Easy Calculator

71Fish
09-09-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm looking for an easy/moronic calculator to figure how much my retirement and disability compensation will be each month. I am under 50%.
My case with the VA closed out a day before my Sept retired pay statement went out so I guess I have to wait another month.
Also, will I get back pay? My case was pending for a year.

CYBERFX1024
09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm looking for an easy/moronic calculator to figure how much my retirement and disability compensation will be each month. I am under 50%.
My case with the VA closed out a day before my Sept retired pay statement went out so I guess I have to wait another month.
Also, will I get back pay? My case was pending for a year.

You will get back pay to the date that you submitted your claim. My case is still pending and it's on 10 months now. But I have spoken to people whose case is complete and I have read the forums concerning the va they have all confirmed that you receive back pay.

71Fish
09-09-2013, 09:36 PM
If you are under 50%...whatever you get in disability will be subtracted from your retirement pay. The only diff. is your disability is not taxable.

So, there will be no back pay, but they will send you a letter saying that can retroactively deduct the disability amount from your taxable income.

For example, it took 14 months for my disability to get approved...and it's like $255 per month. I was able to take $255X 14 months = $3570. I then had the option of deducting $3570 from my taxable income this year...or go back and refile the previous year with the applicable deduction for that year. From that day forward, it is automatically deducted from your retirement income, and you get a second check for the disability.

Here is a disability chart:

http://www.military.com/benefits/veterans-health-care/va-disability-compensation-rates.html

I see where I fall on the charts, but I'm not sure what to do with that information.

71Fish
09-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks, that helps.

Okay, let's say you are 20%, like me. If not, change the amount.

They will send you a letter that will show your disability of $255 should have started the day you retired...so, let's say that was 1 Sep 2012.

Okay, so your disability will begin paying 1 Oct 2013. Also, beginning 1 Oct 2013 you will see a deduction on your monthly retirement check called "VA Waiver" for the $255. So, montly gross pay comes out the same.

Now, the only "problem" you have is that from 1 Sep 2012-1 Sep 2013 you paid taxes on that $255 that you do not have to pay.

Sooo...you get to take that amount 12 X $255 = $3315 and deduct it from your income.

So...in February, you will receive your annual 1099-R for retirement pay to file with your taxes....let's say it is $28,000.

Now, you can take that $28K and substract $3315 to make your taxable retirement income $24,685. Enter that number in your tax form instead of $28,000. Since you had taxes taken out on $28K instead of $24,685, you should get some of the taxes back in the form of a refund...or reduce what you owe if you underpaid otherwise.

Again...if you are under 50% and your disability is not directly combat-related...you won't be getting any back pay because even if your claim had been approved the day of your retirement your gross pay would have been the same all along.