PDA

View Full Version : US Troops waving Mexican flags?

sharkhunter
09-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Okay, this came to my mind after watching the Costa Rica vs. USA World Cup Qualifying match and I saw few brave Americans waving the US Flag in Costa Rica.
Two years ago, the USA played Mexico in the Gold Cup final. ESPN was covering the match and from time to time, showed live images of military personnel down range in PT gear or military uniform...yet they were all waving the Mexican Flag! There were some waving the US flag, but they were clearly outnumbered. Now I don't think that ESPN will do this again for Tuesday's night match when the US take on Mexico, but how do you handle a situation like that? Can you actually tell someone that they cannot support another country while in uniform?
I really don't care who you support off duty hours in civilian clothes, but in uniform, it should strictly be the US.

Pullinteeth
09-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Who cares? It's soccer.

Bunch
09-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Okay, this came to my mind after watching the Costa Rica vs. USA World Cup Qualifying match and I saw few brave Americans waving the US Flag in Costa Rica.
Two years ago, the USA played Mexico in the Gold Cup final. ESPN was covering the match and from time to time, showed live images of military personnel down range in PT gear or military uniform...yet they were all waving the Mexican Flag! There were some waving the US flag, but they were clearly outnumbered. Now I don't think that ESPN will do this again for Tuesday's night match when the US take on Mexico, but how do you handle a situation like that? Can you actually tell someone that they cannot support another country while in uniform?
I really don't care who you support off duty hours in civilian clothes, but in uniform, it should strictly be the US.

OMG...

Pullinteeth
09-07-2013, 07:44 PM
OMG...

Can you imagine trying to enfore that? You MUST root for the U.S. team. No waiving other flags while in uniform... What about state flags? What about the POW/MIA flag?

sandsjames
09-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Can you imagine trying to enfore that? You MUST root for the U.S. team. No waiving other flags while in uniform... What about state flags? What about the POW/MIA flag?

I think that state flags are a bit different than the flags of another nation.

Bunch
09-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Is freaking sports!!! Root for whomever you want to root for...

O Brasil são número um

Rizzo77
09-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Who cares? It's soccer.

THIS!

AFWolf
09-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Why are they in uniform for the game?

Pullinteeth
09-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Why are they in uniform for the game?

Ummm....perhaps because civvies are not allowed?!?!?

ESPN was covering the match and from time to time, showed live images of military personnel down range in PT gear or military uniform...yet they were all waving the Mexican Flag!

DocBones
09-16-2013, 02:08 AM
Maybe they were Mexican troops?

Pullinteeth
09-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Wouldn't you look stupid if the U.S. wasn't playing?