PDA

View Full Version : Car, Bike, Boat or Travel?

Interceptor
09-06-2013, 05:36 AM
If you had the money or if you have already invested your money in one... Tell us why?

Me personally even if I like two out of the four (Travel and Boat) I think when I retire I'm just going to travel. I want to go all over the world and experience different things, different cultures may be for a few days maybe for a few months maybe permanently... But that's why I envision myself doing once I retired.

Your thoughts?

Giant Voice
09-06-2013, 12:51 PM
This one's easy...travel! If I had the money 1) take one year and follow my football team around the country in a RV. 2)Take one year and follow NASCAR around the country for one year in a RV. 3) Invest in a lower tiered race team and go with them around the country.

Buying an awesome exotic car would be cool, but the effect would last only a little while. Buying an awesome luxury boat would be awesome as well, but it would take a tremendous amount of commitment to travek with one.

I have a bike..losing enthusiasm with it.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 01:03 PM
If you had the money or if you have already invested your money in one... Tell us why?

Me personally even if I like two out of the four (Travel and Boat) I think when I retire I'm just going to travel. I want to go all over the world and experience different things, different cultures may be for a few days maybe for a few months maybe permanently... But that's why I envision myself doing once I retired.

Your thoughts?

Don't you use a car, bike, and boat to travel?

71Fish
09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Most of my traveling is by motorcycle.
I've wanted to move to a country (there are very few now) where I could live very well off my military retirement. My wife has this notion that she needs to be "productive". We disagree on that but she is the boss.

efmbman
09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I have thought many times about getting a boat (cabin cruiser type) but I fear the maintenance. Can anyone who has a boat lend their experience?

sandsjames
09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I have thought many times about getting a boat (cabin cruiser type) but I fear the maintenance. Can anyone who has a boat lend their experience?

I don't have a boat, but there are two pretty popular quotes about boats:

"It's better to be the friend of a boat owner than an actual boat owner."

"The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day they buy it and the day they sell it."

That said, I'd love to have one. Not huge, maybe 19" or something. Enough to sit 3 or 4 comfortably for fishing. So out of the OP's choices, I'd go with boat.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't have a boat, but there are two pretty popular quotes about boats:

"It's better to be the friend of a boat owner than an actual boat owner."

"The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day they buy it and the day they sell it."

That said, I'd love to have one. Not huge, maybe 19" or something. Enough to sit 3 or 4 comfortably for fishing. So out of the OP's choices, I'd go with boat.

Or...

B.O.A.T.=Break Out Another Thousand
Boat=Hole in the water you throw money into.

efmbman
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I am in New England for now, so I would not get a boat here. Once winter arrives, it is an added expense to pull it out of the water and store it. I would only get a boat if I was in a climate that allowed for boating year-round.

My other choice would be the RV. But again, I am not sure on the best course of action. Bus-type rig or large pick-up pulling a 5th wheel trailer?

Rusty Jones
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I plan on getting a sailboat some time in the near future. You can get a used one for about the same price as a used car; so that's where I'm going to start out.

RetC141BFCC
09-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Your thoughts?

My boats a 14 foot cheap jon boat. I have a blast with it and have no boat payment. TravelI work for US Airways Express so anywhere US Airways flys I fly for free. When I retire from US Airways Express I keep flight bennies so I love to go back to Europe again and just chill.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 02:30 PM
My other choice would be the RV. But again, I am not sure on the best course of action. Bus-type rig or large pick-up pulling a 5th wheel trailer?

That is a question that is tough to answer. Would you rather drag a car or unhitch your trailer everywhere you go?

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
That is a question that is tough to answer. Would you rather drag a car or unhitch your trailer everywhere you go?

Good friend of ours bought two mopeds...another bought an old VW bug. We had talked about getting a pop up.

efmbman
09-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Exactly. In addition, with a big rig you may be limited to where you can actually drive / park the thing. Dropping the trailer somwhere leaves you the truck to explore. On the other hand, for those long treks the people are limited to the inside of the truck instead of the bigger space in the big rig. There are benefits and drawbacks to each. I have feeling that whichever I decide to go with I will wish I had done the other.

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 03:52 PM
The nice thing about the self-driving one...is that while one person is driving the other can go in the back and make sandwiches.

I think a 5th wheel and a big pick-up is the way to go, personally.

For the time being, we rent a 17' trailer from Outdoor Rec. when we go camping...it works, but is not exactly luxury. For the 3 or so camping trips we do per year, it is more economical to rent. We've pondered often about the whole "living in the RV" in retirement...can't afford to do that right now, maybe someday. We also ponder moving somewhere overseas and tropical...Belize, Costa Rica...something like that.

Currently we rent or us a family members. I would love to buy one but I really want our own boat first. Maybe I will win the lottery and can buy a big enough boat to sleep all of us and a camper.

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 03:58 PM
I can sell you a boat :-)

Will it sleep three kids, two adults, and a dog bigger than the kids? Do you deliver? Does it work?

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 04:13 PM
It's an open bow, not a cabin cruiser....so, no, not for sleeping overnight. You can fold the seats down and take a nap thouhg.

Depends how far

Yes, it works.

Well since I haven't won the lottery as of yet...I can't buy a boat. I have to stick to renting them when we head out.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Currently we rent or us a family members. I would love to buy one but I really want our own boat first. Maybe I will win the lottery and can buy a big enough boat to sleep all of us and a camper.

That is one big fucking boat if it fits you, your family, AND a camper!!!

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 07:03 PM
That is one big fucking boat if it fits you, your family, AND a camper!!!

Haha... I want to buy a boat and a camper. Both big enough for three kids, two adults, and a large dog.