PDA

View Full Version : Recipes

AlexCross
09-05-2013, 07:21 PM
A place to share your favorite recipes...or find dinner ideas.

sandsjames
09-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Step 1...meet a chick
Step 2...ensure she knows how to cook
Step 3...marry her
Step 4...never worry about dinner ideas again

AlexCross
09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Step 1...meet a chick
Step 2...ensure she knows how to cook
Step 3...marry her
Step 4...never worry about dinner ideas again

Some of the best cooks I have met are men...and some of the worst are women.

20+Years
09-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Did you meet my ex-wife? Terrible cook, answers to the name of Satan.

AlexCross
09-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Did you meet my ex-wife? Terrible cook, answers to the name of Satan.

LOL. No. But I met a woman who messed up Campbell's soup.

UncaRastus
09-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Most restaurant and well known chefs are male. Unless you watch The Cooking Channel.

Bunch
09-06-2013, 05:13 AM
I'm looking for recipes for really tender BBQ ribs. It seems that everything I try out of YouTube or BBQ Pit Masters don't work on my grill. Maybe I just need to get a new grill...

Bourne
09-06-2013, 05:51 AM
You may be doing this already, but if you bake them in the oven first, and then finish them on the grill, that usually does the trick.

Bunch
09-06-2013, 06:07 AM
You may be doing this already, but if you bake them in the oven first, and then finish them on the grill, that usually does the trick.

Haven't tried this so far... Care to elaborate? Time? Temp? Any other details?

USMC0341
09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Or vice versa, I grill to get a good sear, then cook over indirect for about an hour or so (baste to keep moist), then wrap add some sauce and finish off low and slow in the oven.

imnohero
09-06-2013, 11:39 AM
20 Minute Dinner

Ingredients:
1 deboned, skinless chicken breast
1 cup Egg Noodles
Olive oil, basil, salt

How to:
Put 2 qt of water on to heat (for noodles)
Put skillet on stove and set to med-high (pre-heating it)
Unwrap, clean, and cut the chicken breast into 3/4-1" cubes (lot literally cubes, just sort of that shape)
Put cubed chicken in a mixing bowl, add olive oil, basil and salt (to taste), stir thoroughly
When water in boiling, add noodles, a little salt and a little olive oil (the oil keeps it from boiling over)
Put chicken into skillet, stir occasionally until cooked (edges/corners should be browned, only takes about 6-7 minutes)
The noodles should be done, drain them, add 1 teaspoon of butter, stir.
Put chicken and noodles on a large dinner plate.
Chow down.

I usually just have bread or roll with it. Yes, I know, no veggies. Sue me.

sandsjames
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
As said for ribs, you both options given are correct. Bake them first then grill, or grill then bake.

1. Season ribs...garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like. If you want (and I like to do), put all spices in a bowl, mix with a little teriyaki and a little tobacco (will not make "hot").
2. Wrap in tin foil
3. Bake in oven at 225-250 for at 3-4 hours.
4. Remove from oven, unwrap, and baste with the BBQ sauce you like
5. Place on very hot grill long enough on both side to slightly "blacken" and "crispify" sauce.
6. Enjoy

Alternative, do the charring on the grill first, then place in the oven.

These options are so much better than boiling as you won't get that greasy, fatty texture to the ribs.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 01:08 PM
YHGTBFSM!! We had what? 30? 40? pages of recipes that YOU deleted and now you want 'em again?

Rusty Jones
09-06-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm looking for recipes for really tender BBQ ribs. It seems that everything I try out of YouTube or BBQ Pit Masters don't work on my grill. Maybe I just need to get a new grill...

As said for ribs, you both options given are correct. Bake them first then grill, or grill then bake.

1. Season ribs...garlic, salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like. If you want (and I like to do), put all spices in a bowl, mix with a little teriyaki and a little tobacco (will not make "hot").
2. Wrap in tin foil
3. Bake in oven at 225-250 for at 3-4 hours.
4. Remove from oven, unwrap, and baste with the BBQ sauce you like
5. Place on very hot grill long enough on both side to slightly "blacken" and "crispify" sauce.
6. Enjoy

Alternative, do the charring on the grill first, then place in the oven.

These options are so much better than boiling as you won't get that greasy, fatty texture to the ribs.

No, no, NO!

First trick: get a smoker. If you're new to smoking, I suggest the green Brinkmann vertical smoker. It's cheap and it's easy. The only drawback is that you'll use a whole bag of charcoal for 8 hours of smoking. Ribs takes about four hours.

Second trick: if you're not able to get a smoker right away, then you need to familiarize yourself with indirect grilling. Move all of the charcoal to the side, and put a pan of water next to the charcoal. Place the ribs above the pan of water. It should take slightly less time than using a smoker.

And put soaked wood chunks - preferably hickory, apple, or cherry - on top of the charcoal, in either case.

...but don't cook the ribs in the oven first. They won't be as tender if you do that. In addition, meat that is already hot will not absorb smoke from the wood.

sandsjames
09-06-2013, 01:23 PM
No, no, NO!

First trick: get a smoker. If you're new to smoking, I suggest the green Brinkmann vertical smoker. It's cheap and it's easy. The only drawback is that you'll use a whole bag of charcoal for 8 hours of smoking. Ribs takes about four hours.

Second trick: if you're not able to get a smoker right away, then you need to familiarize yourself with indirect grilling. Move all of the charcoal to the side, and put a pan of water next to the charcoal. Place the ribs above the pan of water. It should take slightly less time than using a smoker.

And put soaked wood chunks - preferably hickory, apple, or cherry - on top of the charcoal, in either case.

...but don't cook the ribs in the oven first. They won't be as tender if you do that. In addition, meat that is already hot will not absorb smoke from the wood.

This is also a good option, I agree. Wasn't saying my recipe was the only one, but glad you can find a way to disagree with everything. I do love how everybody always thinks they are the best BBQer in the world.

I also prefer your option and do it very similarly. However, for those who don't have a smoker or a charcoal grill (not sure why people grill with gas) I've found the oven method very viable.

For all, just remember the basics. On the grill, cook burgers/steak hot and fast and ribs/chicken slow, low heat, turning often. Never, ever, ever, cook steaks/burgers on the same grill as ribs/chicken.

Rusty Jones
09-06-2013, 01:40 PM
This is also a good option, I agree. Wasn't saying my recipe was the only one, but glad you can find a way to disagree with everything. I do love how everybody always thinks they are the best BBQer in the world.

I know a little something-something about barbecuing. I'm not going to say that I'm the best in the world, but I can say with certainty that I'm far above average. I've developed plenty of barbecue sauce recipes, plenty of rub recipes, and plenty of brine recipes; each for a different type of meat and whatever wood they're being smoked in.

I also prefer your option and do it very similarly. However, for those who don't have a smoker or a charcoal grill (not sure why people grill with gas) I've found the oven method very viable.

You can do it with gas too. Just turn on the burners of one side of the grill, and put the ribs on the other. With a pan of water underneath the ribs of course. And you also have to use wood chips instead of chunks, and get the metal box to put them in.

Now you also have to remember that you may not get the ribs hot enough with a gas grill, in which case you might want to finish them off directly over the burner or even in the oven. Which is okay, because all of the smoke has been absorbed.

For all, just remember the basics. On the grill, cook burgers/steak hot and fast and ribs/chicken slow, low heat, turning often. Never, ever, ever, cook steaks/burgers on the same grill as ribs/chicken.

No arguments here!

Bourne
09-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Both methods are essentially the same. Rub them down, wrap in foil, marinate if you want. Cook them in the oven for tenderness, then finish them on the grill to get the sear. You want them pretty much cooked through in the oven.
The only reason for the second step is really for a good sear.

Check it out:
This recommends 8 hours in the oven, but that's excessive for normal people. Two hours in the oven will get them pretty tender (put them in room temp, not straight from fridge or add cook time).
The key is as RJ said - Low and slow, low heat for a long time.
http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Ribs-So-Tender-They-Fall-Off-the-Bone

Vrake
09-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Two quick grilling sides..

Asparagus fresh and washed. Take 3 or 4 (down to individual stalks) and wrap in normal cut bacon throw them on the grill at 425 ish till bacon is done. I use a grilling sheet just for ease of transport and keeping the grill cleaner

Second. Slice an onion and put Tony Cachheres and butter on top. Put it on the top rack of the gas grill while you cook everything else up. Onions almost liquefy. Simple and if you like onions like I do good.

I have another for grilled/stuffed Jalapeños if anyone wants it. No pics though

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Chicken Tacos in the crock pot

1 package of boneless skinless chicken
1 can Cream of chicken
1 package taco seasoning
1 jar pace

Throw in the crock pot and cook on low for a few hours.. when done...shred and put in tortilla wth cheese and other taco fixings.

A kid favorite that they like to prepare...

1 package of crescent rolls
any filling you desire.

unwrap crescent rolls, fill, and roll
Bake as packaging dictates.

Some faves in our home.. Pepperoni and cheese...dip in marinara after cooked. Ham and cheese, Chicken and broccoli, meatballs and swiss,

Some they tried that didn't turn out so well. PBJ...(YUCK) Chocolate and marshmallow, spaghetti..(good in theory but a little hard to wrap)

We are always looking for good things for the kids to make. They love to be in the kitchen cooking and trying out new recipes. If you have any good ideas for a 10, 9, and 7 year old...please share.

UncaRastus
09-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Vrake,

For some reason, I have asparagus growing on my property. I have always steamed it, but now you have supplied us with a new idea on how to prepare it. Thank you!

sandsjames
09-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Two quick grilling sides..

Asparagus fresh and washed. Take 3 or 4 (down to individual stalks) and wrap in normal cut bacon throw them on the grill at 425 ish till bacon is done. I use a grilling sheet just for ease of transport and keeping the grill cleaner

Second. Slice an onion and put Tony Cachheres and butter on top. Put it on the top rack of the gas grill while you cook everything else up. Onions almost liquefy. Simple and if you like onions like I do good.

I have another for grilled/stuffed Jalapeños if anyone wants it. No pics though

Just a comment on this. Bacon makes EVERYTHING better.

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 03:08 PM

I was in a chocolate shop and saw Chocolate covered bacon. The boy tried it. I did not. He said it was weird.

Vrake
09-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Yessir it's it own food group.
One more for the grill...

I think I posted here before but can't find it.

12-15 jalapeños medium size
2 tubs (8oz) Chive and Onion Philidephia cream cheese
1 pack Wrights thick cut bacon (applewood or hickory smoked are the best)
1 can of pineapple slices (20 oz)

Cut the tops off and halve the jalapeños longways so they will lay flat on the grill tray. Clean the seeds and stems out. (Save some seeds if you want to make hotter peppers,stir them in the mix)

In a bowl mix the cream cheese and just a splash of pineapple juice from the can. Just enough to soften and add taste. Iis real easy to put to much in so go slow. Put the cream cheese mixture in the jalapeño halves. Cut bacon to size and lay on top of pepper halves. Do the same with the pineapple.

I use a grill tray covered with tinfoil. I oil the tinfoil with a bit of olive oil before putting the peppers on it.

Cook on the grill around 425 until the bacon is done. Takes around 35-45 minutes depending on the size of the peppers. It's eyeball really, the bacon will be done and the pineapple will look like it does on a done pizza.

Vrake
09-06-2013, 03:24 PM
One more Potato Bombs.

Look them up by the BBQ Boys on youtube.

One thing we do is not core them. Just slice them length wise and scoop out some of the uncooked potato so you can get more fillings in there.

Using that recipe wiith the apple corer do it with sweet potatoes. Stuff with brown sugar and butter and still wrap in bacon.

Can you guys tell I like to grill yet?

Mjölnir
09-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Breakfast:

Toss a cup of rice or farro into a skillet with some olive oil, chopped onion and garlic, let it start cook.
Pour a half cup or so of tomato sauce on top.
Chili powder
Crack one or two eggs onto the sauce.

Cover and let the eggs poach.

It sounds odd, but I really like it and it is not unhealthy.

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Breakfast:

Toss a cup of rice or farro into a skillet with some olive oil, chopped onion and garlic, let it start cook.
Pour a half cup or so of tomato sauce on top.
Chili powder
Crack one or two eggs onto the sauce.

Cover and let the eggs poach.

It sounds odd, but I really like it and it is not unhealthy.

Breakfast in the Cross household...

Open cabinet and remove bowl
Open drawer and remove spoon
Open pantry and remove cereal
Open fridge and remove milk.

Place all on counter. Open cereal and pour into bowl. Pour enough milk into bowl to get cereal wet. place spoon in bowl. Replace milk and cereal to their homes. Eat cereal.

Unless it is Sunday...then chocolate chip pancakes, banana pancakes, or regular pancakes. BACON.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Sadly, that is not true. I had bacon flavored jawbreakers and they were HORRIBLE.

USMC0341
09-06-2013, 04:23 PM
No, no, NO!

i smoke my ribs for 3 hours, but still wrap, sauce and finish that way. i like a nice mix of apple, hickory and pecan for my pork products.

USMC0341
09-06-2013, 04:30 PM
smoked dip, this can be made on charcoal with wod chips.chunks or in a smoker:

either salmon filet (6oz) or a can of white albacore tuna can be used.

smoke fish, with jalepnos (as many as you prefer), clove of garlic(crushed) i put these in a pie tin and poke holes in the bottom to get that good smoke all over. place in a smoker for 45 minutes @ 170 degrees (for Tuna). if you do it on charcoal you must do indirect with a pan of water below the pie tin containing the ingredients.

if you do salmon, you must smoke the salmon first at 175 degrees for 3hrs.

take out of smoker and let cool. add 1 pack of cream cheese and mix well. grab some crackers and enjoy, but be aware it is very addicting.

FYI- my wife loves this and she hates fish and peppers...smoking changes everything

BENDER56
09-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Sadly, that is not true. I had bacon flavored jawbreakers and they were HORRIBLE.

Agree. I once had a shot of bacon-infused vodka -- tasted like someone poured salt straight into my mouth.

efmbman
09-06-2013, 06:01 PM
...tasted like someone poured salt straight into my mouth.

That's what she said...

- Michael Scott

efmbman
09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
This is how I do a Pork Loin.

Marinade: molassas, bourbon, brown sugar, ginger. 2 tbls brown sugar, 1/2 cup of bourbon, 1 tbls molassas mixed in a ziplock bag. Grate some ginger (fresh) into the baggie. And the pork loin to soak overnight. Size of pork loin and baggie may call for different measurements.

Grill on low heat (~200) for 2 hours, rolling the loin one quarter turn every 20 minutes. Baste on marinade at each turning.

I don't screw around with pork, so use a meat thermometer. The marinade should turn into a candy-like coating which keeps the pork loin from drying out.

Enjoy.

Rusty Jones
09-06-2013, 06:18 PM
smoked dip, this can be made on charcoal with wod chips.chunks or in a smoker:

either salmon filet (6oz) or a can of white albacore tuna can be used.

smoke fish, with jalepnos (as many as you prefer), clove of garlic(crushed) i put these in a pie tin and poke holes in the bottom to get that good smoke all over. place in a smoker for 45 minutes @ 170 degrees. if you do it on charcoal you must do indirect with a pan of water below the pie tin containing the ingredients.

take out of smoker and let cool. add 1 pack of cream cheese and mix well. grab some crackers and enjoy, but be aware it is very addicting.

FYI- my wife loves this and she hates fish and peppers...smoking changes everything

Do you still have to cook it directly or cook it indoors after this?

I don't eat seafood, but I do understand that seafood doesn't require as much cooking as regular meat.

But at 170 degrees, the water doesn't boil.

USMC0341
09-06-2013, 06:51 PM

I don't eat seafood, but I do understand that seafood doesn't require as much cooking as regular meat.

i just edited my post, forgot to explain. if you do tuna it is all put in smoker for 45 minutes. if you use salmon, i smoke the salmon first at 175 degrees for 3 hours, then i put in the Chopped jalepenos and garlic and smoke them seperately for 45 minutes

Bourne
09-07-2013, 06:11 AM
YHGTBFSM!! We had what? 30? 40? pages of recipes that YOU deleted and now you want 'em again?

I didn't remove a recipe thread did I?

sandsjames
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
That's what she said...

- Michael Scott

Glad I changed pages to your response, cuz I was going to post the exact same thing.

sandsjames
09-07-2013, 11:44 AM

A lot of people like salmon almost raw. I can't eat it that way, but that's how the uppity types like it. For me, smoke it 'til it's done. Raw, or slimy, fish isn't something I can deal with.

AlexCross
09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
What should I feed the Cross kids today? Keep in mind...one milk allergy and one peanut allergy.

Vrake
09-09-2013, 07:12 PM
What should I feed the Cross kids today? Keep in mind...one milk allergy and one peanut allergy.

Beer can chicken!

Most grocery stores sell the holders for a couple bucks or you can do the old fashion balancing act. Either way use a pie tin underneath unless yours has a basin for the fat.

1 or 2 chickens depending on how many people.(I do two just for sandwiches and leftovers)
Take a beer or coke or dr pepper drink half and stick it in the cleaned out chickens ummm cavity. Not all the way just about half. this is where the holders are handy. Rub seasoning of your choice on the skin. McCormicks makes some good ones. Whatever fits your taste.

Put on grill at 375ish until internal temp is chicken safe (I think that's 185) the skin will be golden brown and most the fat renders off. Takes awhile depending on the bird but plan for at least an hour cook time.

Dr Pepper gives it an almost teriyaki taste. One thing I do to mine is inject some Italian dressing along the bones of the breast legs and thighs.

AlexCross
09-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Beer can chicken!

Most grocery stores sell the holders for a couple bucks or you can do the old fashion balancing act. Either way use a pie tin underneath unless yours has a basin for the fat.

1 or 2 chickens depending on how many people.(I do two just for sandwiches and leftovers)
Take a beer or coke or dr pepper drink half and stick it in the cleaned out chickens ummm cavity. Not all the way just about half. this is where the holders are handy. Rub seasoning of your choice on the skin. McCormicks makes some good ones. Whatever fits your taste.

Put on grill at 375ish until internal temp is chicken safe (I think that's 185) the skin will be golden brown and most the fat renders off. Takes awhile depending on the bird but plan for at least an hour cook time.

Dr Pepper gives it an almost teriyaki taste. One thing I do to mine is inject some Italian dressing along the bones of the breast legs and thighs.

We do Beer in the Rear chicken a lot. But tonight the Cross house is chaotic. Cross kid 1 has two hours of dance, Cross kid 2 has soccer, and Cross kid 3 has dance. We left this morning and didn't get anything started.

Pullinteeth
09-09-2013, 07:26 PM

Hmmmm....if you throw out cheese, it gets tough. Jambalaya? It is easy and you can throw almost anything in the pot...

AlexCross
09-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Hmmmm....if you throw out cheese, it gets tough. Jambalaya? It is easy and you can throw almost anything in the pot...

Ooohhh Good idea. The kids love it. I can make it pretty quick too. Tonight is a busy night in the Cross household so quick and easy is good.

Vrake
09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Ooohhh Good idea. The kids love it. I can make it pretty quick too. Tonight is a busy night in the Cross household so quick and easy is good.

Zatarans for the win! Use the tomato sauce option (8oz) and a bit of red wine 1/4 cup in the initial boil instead of the same amount of water. I always make a ton I get two boxes and do 1lb of chicken and a 14 ounce smoke sausage. I love leftovers.

Pullinteeth
09-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Zatarans for the win! Use the tomato sauce option (8oz) and a bit of red wine 1/4 cup in the initial boil instead of the same amount of water. I always make a ton I get two boxes and do 1lb of chicken and a 14 ounce smoke sausage. I love leftovers.

Seriously? I hate the box stuff but if you find out what you like, you can make it from scratch and it ends up cheaper...

BTW...bought a Presto skillet thingie-with a lid... You can make almost anything in there... Saves pans and EASY to clean. Made stroganoff, a potato/onion/cheese monstrosity/stir fry in it... Easy peasy lemon squeeze... Best part? You can fry bacon without the wife whining about grease all over the kitchen (I cook but suck at cleaning-or just don't do it...).

Vrake
09-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Seriously? I hate the box stuff but if you find out what you like, you can make it from scratch and it ends up cheaper...

I am not entirely sure about that... Two boxes of Jambalaya mix, a pound of chicken and the sausage is under 15 bucks. All the spices initially would cost more then that. Not saying it wouldn't be better. I just prefer to improve on their mix rather then invent my own. I work with a bunch of Cajuns and they have no problem only if its Zatarans.

**edit. I am stupid got what you meant after I posted. I was posting for fast and good the day of.

Homemade with a little bit of everything in the pot that beats a box every time. A friend of mine is coming to use my kitchen Thursday to make the roux for his gumbo. I can't argue with fresh.

Pullinteeth
09-10-2013, 12:36 AM
I am not entirely sure about that... Two boxes of Jambalaya mix, a pound of chicken and the sausage is under 15 bucks. All the spices initially would cost more then that. Not saying it wouldn't be better. I just prefer to improve on their mix rather then invent my own. I work with a bunch of Cajuns and they have no problem only if its Zatarans.

**edit. I am stupid got what you meant after I posted. I was posting for fast and good the day of.

Homemade with a little bit of everything in the pot that beats a box every time. A friend of mine is coming to use my kitchen Thursday to make the roux for his gumbo. I can't argue with fresh.

Initially? You are 100% correct...however, if you make it as often as I do...over time, the investment in the individual spices makes the cost per cook less than buying the box/brick of spices and rice....

BTW, HATE you on the Gumbo front...have yet to even attempt even though I spent 2 years in SE LA....

Vrake
09-10-2013, 12:52 AM
BTW, HATE you on the Gumbo front...have yet to even attempt even though I spent 2 years in SE LA....

I did 4 years in NOLA I can do a 200 pound crawfish boil with no problem now from learning while I was there. Same guy who taught me the secrets to a good boil is who I am learning roux from Thurs.

And to stay on topicish when you deep fry a turkey it's 3 minutes a pound plus 5 minutes at 350. ( IE 15 pound bird takes 50 minutes.) Try to stay around an ounce per pound with the injections.

** edited for stupid me.

Vrake
09-10-2013, 01:23 AM

UncaRastus
09-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Bacon is the duct tape of life.

Pullinteeth
09-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Anyone know what kind of sauce you use to make chow mein? I found out it is DEFINATELY not hosin sauce...

AlexCross
09-11-2013, 04:03 PM
According to Yahoo answers it is a chicken broth thickened with corn starch and a little soy sauce added.

Pullinteeth
09-11-2013, 04:26 PM
According to Yahoo answers it is a chicken broth thickened with corn starch and a little soy sauce added.

That sounds easy... I'll have to give it a whirl. Thanks!

AlexCross
09-11-2013, 04:48 PM
That sounds easy... I'll have to give it a whirl. Thanks!

You are welcome.

On another note...I am looking for a really good brisket rub. Want to smoke one this weekend.

Pullinteeth
09-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Mashed potatos good or no? If so...shephard's pie...if not, let 'em starve!!

AlexCross
09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Mashed potatos good or no? If so...shephard's pie...if not, let 'em starve!!

Tonight the Cross kids get Spaghetti or tacos. Whatever the oldest decides to make. Then it is off to dance for the oldest and gymnastics for the youngest. The middle one gets to go to whichever and hang out and play DS.

AlexCross
09-19-2013, 03:32 PM
This sounds YUMMY. The Cross kids are going to get a treat this weekend...

3 Cups of corn flakes crushed
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white corn syrup
6 ounces chocolate chips

1. Heat peanut butter, sugar, and corn syrup over low heat to melt. Stir in cereal
2. Pat into 8x8 lightly greased pan,
3. Melt chocolate chips and pour over the top.

let cool and eat.

Pullinteeth
10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Another easy but nummy thing you can make with no dairy is sausage and taters.... Fry up some sausage, slice some taters-thin thick, your call. Dice and onion (if you want), throw the taters and onion in with the sausage cover and cook until the taters are cooked. You will want to throw some salt and pepper in there-I also like some cajun seasoning on mine but...

AlexCross
10-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Another easy but nummy thing you can make with no dairy is sausage and taters.... Fry up some sausage, slice some taters-thin thick, your call. Dice and onion (if you want), throw the taters and onion in with the sausage cover and cook until the taters are cooked. You will want to throw some salt and pepper in there-I also like some cajun seasoning on mine but...

MIght try that this weekend... They like all of those things.

How did the Chow Mein work out?

Pullinteeth
10-21-2013, 12:27 PM
MIght try that this weekend... They like all of those things.

How did the Chow Mein work out?

Not terrible...not great... Need some practice.

AlexCross
10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Not terrible...not great... Need some practice.

I might have to give it a try. My minions love it. I have never made it from scratch though. Not tonight though...tonight is BLTs or grilled bacon and cheese.

Pullinteeth
10-21-2013, 04:30 PM
I might have to give it a try. My minions love it. I have never made it from scratch though. Not tonight though...tonight is BLTs or grilled bacon and cheese.

I think I might thaw out the lasagna in the freezer....just not feeling putting forth any effort.... As my three year old would say....BAD Daddy!! Course I have to get hammered if my Vikes start to lose so...I guess that is as good of an excuse as any...

AlexCross
10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
I think I might thaw out the lasagna in the freezer....just not feeling putting forth any effort.... As my three year old would say....BAD Daddy!! Course I have to get hammered if my Vikes start to lose so...I guess that is as good of an excuse as any...

Oldest kid has dance from 6-8 tonight.
Boy has soccer
Little bit has gymnastics

No time for cooking in the Cross house today. Who decided things should happen on MONDAY? Should be against the law. So we will fry up some bacon while the kids are getting stuff together...throw together sandwiches and they can shovel them as we head out the door. Luckily soccer is within walking distance of the dance studio. I will drop those two off and then knock out grocery shopping...and get some BEER to chill for the evening.

ttribe
10-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Rock Salt Roasted Prime Rib.

I first had this at Simon & Seaforts in Anchorage. It was a Prime Rib and King Crab combo.
Followed this dinner up with a trip to some place called the ABC club(I'm being a bit coy here). They weren't singing the alphabet in there.

Alot easier than you think. 1st watch the meat counter at the commissary for a rib roast to be on managers special. I found a 4 pounder marked down to less than $20. I took it home and rubbed it in Montreal seasoning and froze itn with my food sealer. This weekend I pulled it out Saturday morning and let it counter thaw all day. Sunday morning I pulled it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp for about 6 hours. A secret I learned a while back is to not cook large pieces of meat (steaks and roasts) that are cold. They don't cook as evenly as ones brought up towards room temp.

Coat the meat all over with Dijon mustard.
I have a large stone cooking bowl that I roast in. A regular roaster works fine also. I would try to find one just a bit bigger than the roast. But not too big.
Line the roaster with foil.
Using ice-cream slat, coat the whole thing with the salt. Don't spare the salt. Some will fall off. Try to pat it onto all edges.
Pop it in the oven for about an hour uncovered. The salt will form a crust protecting the meat and sealing in the juices. Take the meats temp, poke the thermometer deep to get a good reading. Most restaurants cook Prime to about 145. My family acts as if they will die of food poisoning if they see red meat so I have to go to about 160. I put foil over it after the first hour and turn the oven down to 400 to finish it off. You can always cook it rare and finish it off in the broiler.
When it is done pull it out and let it rest for 15 minutes before touching it.
Use a large spoon or something to chip off the salt and transfer the meat to another dish. It will smell awesome.
There is no mustard or salty taste to the meat.
Put the dog out of the room, lest its primal urges over come its fear of jumping up and running off with the family dinner.
Slice it off of the bone and then slice to thick or thin servings. I buy a package of Au Jus and use that as gravy. The drippings in the bottom of the pan will be a little on the salty side.
There are recipes for horseradish sauce. I like it but I am the only one so I buy a small jar of it.

More recipes to follow.