PDA

View Full Version : Parenting in the military

AlexCross
09-05-2013, 03:30 PM
We all know that being a parent can be rough; but being a parent in the military can bring its own set of unique challenges. Deployments, long hours, TDYs, and crazy schedules all make it tough. What are some ways that you deal with these challenges?

Also, what sorts of services do you use on base for your family or children? Youth Center, CDC, Youth Sports, Bowling Alley, Movie Theater, or others?

We LOVE the base bowling alley and the Youth Center. We also use the base school and absolutely love it. Best school we have seen since we started with schooling.

Juggs
09-05-2013, 03:38 PM
We all know that being a parent can be rough; but being a parent in the military can bring its own set of unique challenges. Deployments, long hours, TDYs, and crazy schedules all make it tough. What are some ways that you deal with these challenges?

Also, what sorts of services do you use on base for your family or children? Youth Center, CDC, Youth Sports, Bowling Alley, Movie Theater, or others?

We LOVE the base bowling alley and the Youth Center. We also use the base school and absolutely love it. Best school we have seen since we started with schooling.

When my wife and I were mil-mil we used the CDC, family childcare as well as took advantage of bowling alley and give parents a break nights.

Those challenges aren't unique to the military. Civilian firefighters working 24 or 48 hr shifts have the same issues. It's tough, you need to good support and a great game plan.

Bunch
09-06-2013, 05:22 AM
I have a particular situation... One of my daughter is a special needs children. As a recruiter not being able to live/ or be near base for the last 5 years has place me in a situation in which I had to deal a lot with Tricare so my daughter can get the care she needs.

My experience for the most part very positive... Once you work the kinks with tricare everything is smooth sailing after that. Schooling can be tough if you go to a school district that aren't used to receive military dependents who also happen to be special needs. We have had the fortune that even though here in Chicago they don't see a case like my daughter very often they have worked with us to make sure our daughter gets the education she needs.

So what is my best advice to parents in the military? Be involved!! Don't take no for an answer. Seek help, people are willing to help you just need to get in contact with the right person.

imported_WILDJOKER5
09-06-2013, 06:20 PM

The only thing I do is bring my kids to base for AWANA at the base chapel. Everything else is done off base because its closer to where I live.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Used the CDC while my wife was gone. Been to the bowling alley but it was friggin expensive. I do like that they have daycare during UTA weekends because I have to work them and my wife is a reservist so she works as well. After you move, it is hard to find friends that you trust with your kids.

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Used the CDC while my wife was gone. Been to the bowling alley but it was friggin expensive. I do like that they have daycare during UTA weekends because I have to work them and my wife is a reservist so she works as well. After you move, it is hard to find friends that you trust with your kids.

Our bowling alley is way cheaper than off base. I think it is $1.50 a game.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh, and the movie theater has been closed for years....this base and my last base.

DocBones
09-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Oh, man. Parenting? Was a wife or a husband or a partner issued in your duffle/sea/hand bag? And children born out of wedlock should get one a life sentence at hard labor!

And I don't mean raising children as a life at hard labor. Don't be splitting hairs!

OK, I may be wrong in my assessment...

OK, as passed on to all of us during bootcamp: Don't get married until you can support a family
Which, back then was about 12 years down the line. I realize how much money y'all make nowadays. Any of you can support a family of 12 now.

Which, again, might be wrong.

Stalwart
09-08-2013, 08:07 PM
We are adopting a little girl from China with a cleft lip and palate.

If anyone has had a child with the lip and/or palate issue or adopted a Child from overseas (China specifically) I would be interested in asking you some questions via PM.