PDA

View Full Version : In the Outdoors

Interceptor
09-05-2013, 02:42 AM
Wanted to create a thread about outdoor experiences. Hiking, hunting, fishing, camping... Anything related to outdoors and equipment so we can learn here from each other.

Just last week I went to Shadow Lakes in Il and had a blast fishing and swimming on the lake. Great place to go if you are near the Il. area. They have everything so you can enjoy the outdoors there. Also went camping/hunting a few times to Mt. Evans in Colorado with a friend who is an avid huntsman and also had a great time.

Are you a hunter? You enjoy fishing? What are the best places you have visited?

Please feel free to share your stories here...

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Here you go...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1762756-nhl-player-clayton-stoner-draws-criticism-for-killing-bear-releases-statement?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t3

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
We LOVE to hit the lake or the beach. Kayaking is a favorite. The girls love to go tubing and the boy hates it...odd.

Oldest girl loves to fish and baits her own hook. The other two...not so much.

No hunting here.

Hiking...we would probably do more but the kids are afraid of seeing snakes.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Seeing snakes isn't a problem...NOT seeing the little fuckers can REALLY hurt....

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Seeing snakes isn't a problem...NOT seeing the little fuckers can REALLY hurt....

Yes. But we saw one...ONCE...and now they refuse to enter any wooded area. Even after buying them boots and walking sticks. This is also why boyo refuses to get in the water for tubing...water moccasins. Although he will get in the lake where he can stand and swim for hours on end.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Yes. But we saw one...ONCE...and now they refuse to enter any wooded area. Even after buying them boots and walking sticks. This is also why boyo refuses to get in the water for tubing...water moccasins. Although he will get in the lake where he can stand and swim for hours on end.

We had a lil rattlesnake in our backyard. Also have deer, turkeys, an owl, a hawk, some raccoons, and other assorted cittters. My daughter likes to go tromping around in the woods-wife isn't such a fan.

Bunch
09-06-2013, 04:05 PM
We had a lil rattlesnake in our backyard. Also have deer, turkeys, an owl, a hawk, some raccoons, and other assorted cittters. My daughter likes to go tromping around in the woods-wife isn't such a fan.

Sounds like Duck Dynasty to me.

TSgt"M"
09-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Camped of my toon last weekend. Michigan is beutiful this time of year.

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Ever tried to calm down three kids who saw a grass snake? They were flipping out so much they scared the poor snake. Two adults can not carry three kids.

AlexCross
09-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Good to know. We have a large dog.

We did 4 days in Yosemite in July. Beautiful place...now on fire, unfortunately.

Was disappointed we didn't see much for wildlife...oh, and if you plan on going, know that Yosemite is extremely NOT dog-friendly. Dogs are prohibited on most all of the trails, except for a couple paved ones...and you have to on trails to see most of the cool stuff. Next time, we won't take the dog.

Our other yearly camping trips are to a local beach...and to the NASCAR race.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Another thing that is annoying....quiet hours. ESP selectively enforced quiet hours. A buddy and I were camping and had a decent fire, sitting there bullshitting with a radio on-VERY low-just background noise no jammin or anything. The park rangers saw the red light and made us turn it off (though there wasn't anyone camped near us). About an hour later, a bunch of kids were running around screaming for several hours...

Did some fishing last weekend but just pond fishing...more to chillax than to catch fish-though my buddy caught a snapping turtle.

AlexCross
09-10-2013, 08:35 PM
We are planning a big camping trip soon. Not sure it will still be warm enough for the kids to go swimming. Pretty sure we will fish and boat. Maybe make S'mores. Any other ideas for occupying three kids?