PDA

View Full Version : Walmart hiring process

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Not sure who knows this and who doesn't, but I'm going through a veterans hiring process right now with Walmart. They GUARANTEE a position at a store in your area if you are a veteran who's been honorably discharged within the last 12 months. Pretty good deal, I think.

Stalwart
09-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I work on Veteran's Issues for my boss. I have some hard copy stuff and there is a link:

http://walmartcareerswithamission.com/

Feel free if anyone has any questions about stuff like this to PM me.

Rusty Jones
09-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Not sure who knows this and who doesn't, but I'm going through a veterans hiring process right now with Walmart. They GUARANTEE a position at a store in your area if you are a veteran who's been honorably discharged within the last 12 months. Pretty good deal, I think.

Far be it from me to tell you where and where not to work, but... is that going to cover the difference between your active duty and retired pay? And are you going to be happy working at Walmart?

20+Years
09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Thats pretty damn cool actually. We have first term enlistees who get out all the time with no real plans for the future. They will toss you the line of they are going to go to school, or have a job lined up which in reality means, "I'm going home to my parents". A guaranteed job is at least an income to get things going on. For all the hate I have for Walmart after ole Sam died, I say "well done"!

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Far be it from me to tell you where and where not to work, but... is that going to cover the difference between your active duty and retired pay? And are you going to be happy working at Walmart?

Absolutely. Between my pension, my wife's pension, and at least minimum wage with at least 30 hours a week, we'll be making what we were making before I retired. And I will be very happy working there. A job with little responsibility where I come in and do what I'm told sounds pretty good to me.

Also, the nice thing about it is once you're a Walmart employee, you can be "transferred" to other stores, so if we decide to move I can get a job making at least the same wage.

It's pretty simple. You fill out a form on their site (and upload your DD214, they call, ask a few questions about what you'd like to do in the store, you take a 65 question "quiz" with the usual questions, then they place you based on those answers.

Even if it wasn't something I'd like to do, there are several people, as 20+ mentioned, who get out early in their careers and need to find a job. Hell, you can even request part time, while using your GI bill to go to school, and the GUARANTEE you a job in your area.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Thats pretty damn cool actually. We have first term enlistees who get out all the time with no real plans for the future. They will toss you the line of they are going to go to school, or have a job lined up which in reality means, "I'm going home to my parents". A guaranteed job is at least an income to get things going on. For all the hate I have for Walmart after ole Sam died, I say "well done"!

Agree...I'm surprised it didn't get more press.

Stalwart
09-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Agree...I'm surprised it didn't get more press.

It got 'some', know the VFW, FRA and a couple of other vet's groups that put it out. But overall I don't think it was mainstream enough to get mentioned on the nightly news.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
It got 'some', know the VFW, FRA and a couple of other vet's groups that put it out. But overall I don't think it was mainstream enough to get mentioned on the nightly news.

Especially in this job market (though I must say I'm not seeing a shortage in my area). Again, the catch is that you have to have been discharged within the last year but, hell, even if it's only a temporary thing to earn some cash while you search for a "real" job.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 04:34 PM
That is cool...I saw that they had a special application for Veterans, which was cool enough, did not realize it was a guaranteed job.

Yep...might just be pushing carts for minimum wage (depending on survey answers I guess), but it's something. Once they review the questions they call and give you a phone interview. I'm curious to see how that goes.

Rusty Jones
09-04-2013, 04:43 PM
We have first term enlistees who get out all the time with no real plans for the future. They will toss you the line of they are going to go to school, or have a job lined up which in reality means, "I'm going home to my parents"

As far as I'm concerned, it's their lives and they don't have to justify to anyone what they're doing or give anyone an answer that the person asking the question deems "good enough."

For some... all they know is that they don't want to be in the military anymore. And that's not a bad thing.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 04:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's their lives and they don't have to justify to anyone what they're doing or give anyone an answer that the person asking the question deems "good enough."

For some... all they know is that they don't want to be in the military anymore. And that's not a bad thing.

Either way, it's pretty cool for a company to do this.

20+Years
09-04-2013, 04:58 PM
I agree that its thier life, but that doesn't mean I won't give them advice if it is warranted. I would like and hope that if they leave the military they are going on to a better and brighter future. Thier answer does not have to be "good enough" for me, it has to be "good enough" for them. After you hold a job working with first term Airmen who are seperating (as I have) you would soon learn that some of them have no skills in planning for the future. If you were a recruiter, you would see how many Airmen come in that want to get back in (and sadly can't).

I would also respectfully discuss the other side of your comment, "For some... all they know is that they don't want to be in the military anymore. And that's not a bad thing."

Some of the folks who "know" they don't want to be in the military anymore are married with two kids. Spouse has no job (nor wants one), no extra income, sponsors job doesn't translate to a civilian job, no savings, no education... just doesn't want a boss telling them what to do anymore. Its those situations I hated to see.

Getting out isn't always the best answer either...

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 05:20 PM
:focus :ban

Rusty Jones
09-04-2013, 05:25 PM
:focus :ban

I'm not worried about that. I'm going to do what I feel comfortable doing and not let the threat of a ban scare me.

Pullinteeth
09-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Not a Wal-Mart fan but that is pretty cool...

Rusty Jones
09-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Some of the folks who "know" they don't want to be in the military anymore are married with two kids. Spouse has no job (nor wants one), no extra income, sponsors job doesn't translate to a civilian job, no savings, no education... just doesn't want a boss telling them what to do anymore. Its those situations I hated to see.

Getting out isn't always the best answer either...

And if they don't want a boss telling them what to do, then why should we want them to stay in? They're only going to become a bigger problem. For example, the guy who reenlisted against his own better judgement because he was under pressure from his wife and his career counselor. We've now got a disgruntled NCO in the shop. Not only is he affecting the shop; but he also resents his wife for it and goes home everyday pissed off, reminding her that it's her fault.

It's not bad that they don't want to be in the military. I'd say it is bad if that's all they know.

I knew a guy who got out and ended being a hobo... working odd jobs, and going where the wind took him. And you know something else? He flat out told the chain of command that he was going to do that until he found something; and he said this with a certain type of conviction and sternness that flat out dared his chain of command to try to talk him out of it.

For me, having a boss wasn't the issue. Feeling like I had no control over my life was. I've been to places where I loved my chain of command and had absolutely no problem with anyone in it. But the feeling of not having control over my life was still there.

20+Years
09-04-2013, 06:23 PM
How the hell did I end up having this discussion? My initial point was, for those with no plan, Walmart made a viable option. Way to be Walmart!

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 06:28 PM
How the hell did I end up having this discussion? My initial point was, for those with no plan, Walmart made a viable option. Way to be Walmart!

+1 internets to you...

Rusty Jones
09-04-2013, 06:33 PM

I can only imagine how most career counselors are going to respond to a first termer telling them that they're going to get a job at Walmart.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
I can only imagine how most career counselors are going to respond to a first termer telling them that they're going to get a job at Walmart.

And that's exactly why we have so many unemployed people. Because jobs like that are scoffed at by "professionals". For a career counselor to tell anyone who is trying to get a job anywhere that it's not a good path should cost that counselor their job.

Rusty Jones
09-04-2013, 08:05 PM
And that's exactly why we have so many unemployed people. Because jobs like that are scoffed at by "professionals". For a career counselor to tell anyone who is trying to get a job anywhere that it's not a good path should cost that counselor their job.

...not exactly. It's that career counselor's job to try to get you to reenlist. That means that he's going to put down whatever it is that you want to do, to make reenlisting look like the better option.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
...not exactly. It's that career counselor's job to try to get you to reenlist. That means that he's going to put down whatever it is that you want to do, to make reenlisting look like the better option.

I guess career counselors must be different in the Air Force, cuz never once did one try to get me to reenlist. They explained my options, but that was about it. And I didn't feel that it made reenlisting look like the better option. It just showed that the military has a lot of awesome benefits which, really, can't be argued.

TJMAC77SP
09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I guess career counselors must be different in the Air Force, cuz never once did one try to get me to reenlist. They explained my options, but that was about it. And I didn't feel that it made reenlisting look like the better option. It just showed that the military has a lot of awesome benefits which, really, can't be argued.

Probably because with the exception of a very small window of time a few years ago, the AF has had no trouble getting recruits since the inception of the all volunteer military.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Probably because with the exception of a very small window of time a few years ago, the AF has had no trouble getting recruits since the inception of the all volunteer military.

No doubt about that...

Rusty Jones
09-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't think this is why. Even when the Navy is downsizing, career counselors are the exact same way.

I dunno, I guess the Navy would rather kick people out than have people leave on their own.

garhkal
09-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Especially in this job market (though I must say I'm not seeing a shortage in my area). Again, the catch is that you have to have been discharged within the last year but, hell, even if it's only a temporary thing to earn some cash while you search for a "real" job.

So someone discharged say in Jan 2012 (well over a year ago) is not guarenteed a job? Swell.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 08:38 PM
So someone discharged say in Jan 2012 (well over a year ago) is not guarenteed a job? Swell.

That is correct...as far as I know. I guess they figure that someone who received an honorable within the last 12 months hasn't had time to go out and get in too much trouble, or haven't lost that military "discipline". Not sure on the reasoning. I guess they had to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, they'd have to create a lot of slots to hire all honorably discharged veterans from forever.

BENDER56
09-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I remember when every AF squadron had a career advisor (an additional duty -- not a billet). Then they did away with them and we had a wing-level career assistance something-or-other. My last four years of AD were in a training squadron on a Navy base -- so I don't know; does the AF even still have career advisors?

Chief_KO
09-05-2013, 01:28 PM
The unit career advisor (SNCO) maintained a green folder on first term Airmen. This was a carryover of the unit reenlistment NCO duty the Army has.
Mandatory annual counseling on benefits, etc. Also your POC for retraining, reenlistment questions. AF did away with the additional duty as it is the duty of all supervisors. Decade or two later (after supervisors were failing in this responsibility) the CAA position, along with FTAC, NCOPE, SNCOPE, etc. were created.

Juggs
09-05-2013, 04:40 PM

I went through their normal hiring process. Seemed quicker than the hire veterans one. I've been with them for 2 months now, not bad just be prepared to dumb yourself down a bit.

sandsjames
09-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I went through their normal hiring process. Seemed quicker than the hire veterans one. I've been with them for 2 months now, not bad just be prepared to dumb yourself down a bit.

I'll see how it goes and I am very ready to dumb things down a bit, at least for a couple years.

garhkal
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Guess i will give them another try.

Juggs
09-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Guess i will give them another try.

So far they aren't a bad compan to work for. They fight tooth and nail to get me my 32 hrs since I only want part time. I take time off to work for an FD and they try to get me to work other shifts to get me my hours.

jondstewart
09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Unless anybody is starving and/or one step from being on the streets, I don't know why anybody in their right mind would work for such a tacky place like Walmart! If you shop there to save money, that's one thing. But work there?

If you're a regualr Walmart employee, getting 40 hours of work a week takes an act of God, they pay just above minimum wage, and could care less about their employees. Just like any other All-American corporation

Costco is a much better option. The lowest paid workers are making money in the mid-teens! Their turnover is happy and workers generally happy and productive. Apply there, instead!

sandsjames
09-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Unless anybody is starving and/or one step from being on the streets, I don't know why anybody in their right mind would work for such a tacky place like Walmart! If you shop there to save money, that's one thing. But work there?

If you're a regualr Walmart employee, getting 40 hours of work a week takes an act of God, they pay just above minimum wage, and could care less about their employees. Just like any other All-American corporation

Costco is a much better option. The lowest paid workers are making money in the mid-teens! Their turnover is happy and workers generally happy and productive. Apply there, instead!

For one, there is no Costco in my area. For two, with my retirement, all I need is minimum wage at part time. For three, different strokes for different folks. Some people don't understand why people would join the military, thinking we get treated like crap. Every job is about weighing the pros and cons. What may not be good for you may be great for someone else.

TJMAC77SP
09-05-2013, 07:54 PM
For one, there is no Costco in my area. For two, with my retirement, all I need is minimum wage at part time. For three, different strokes for different folks. Some people don't understand why people would join the military, thinking we get treated like crap. Every job is about weighing the pros and cons. What may not be good for you may be great for someone else.

Imagine that........making your own choices.

Juggs
09-05-2013, 07:54 PM

The part time folks I work with are getting 40 hrs repeatedly. They need to actually take longer lunches or leave early to make sure they don't go over it. For the work I'm doing 9/hr is fine. My work isn't worth more than that although I have had to provide first aid on two occasions. One cardiac issue and the other was low blood sugar.

9/hr for opening a box and putting the contents on the shelf for 8 hrs isn't bad.

Maybe you just have a complex and think you're worth more. Maybe you are. They shouldn't be paying based off of worth, but based off of the work being performed.

Rusty Jones
09-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe you just have a complex and think you're worth more. Maybe you are. They shouldn't be paying based off of worth, but based off of the work being performed.

Conservative machismo; lock, stock, and barrell! Defend your oppressors, justify your oppression; and you come out looking like some noble upstanding citizen and shit!

Juggs
09-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Conservative machismo; lock, stock, and barrell! Defend your oppressors, justify your oppression; and you come out looking like some noble upstanding citizen and shit!

Or it could be the fact that I know I'm doing the same task as a 19 year old that graduated HS this yr. sure I've got 11 yrs active duty, been on multiple deployments in actual combat, been in leadership positions in combat, but I applied for a overnight stocker position. I'm getting what I deserve. If I want better pay I better be willing to make the sacrifices in order to do that.

My military job skills don't exactly translate to retail management. However, my primary job does have skills that have been able to cross over such as leadership under life and death situations. Equipement management and upkeep.

Or I could go literal bitch ass mantra and say give me more than I deserve because ill cry until I get it.

Rusty Jones
09-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Or it could be the fact that I know I'm doing the same task as a 19 year old that graduated HS this yr. sure I've got 11 yrs active duty, been on multiple deployments in actual combat, been in leadership positions in combat, but I applied for a overnight stocker position. I'm getting what I deserve. If I want better pay I better be willing to make the sacrifices in order to do that.

My military job skills don't exactly translate to retail management. However, my primary job does have skills that have been able to cross over such as leadership under life and death situations. Equipement management and upkeep.

Or I could go literal bitch ass mantra and say give me more than I deserve because ill cry until I get it.

Meanwhile, some of those same 19 year are olds over at Costco and BJ's, and getting paid almost twice what you are to do the same thing.

But... you've gotta grin and bear it. Don't say anything. Take it in the ass like a man!

Juggs
09-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Meanwhile, some of those same 19 year are over at Costco and BJ's, and getting paid almost twice what you are to do the same thing.

But... you've gotta grin and bear it. Don't say anything. Take it in the ass like a man!

Not really. Or somebody could better themselves and MAKE themselves more valuable. I know what you're going to say though because I know what kind of person you are.

Juggs
09-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Meanwhile, some of those same 19 year are olds over at Costco and BJ's, and getting paid almost twice what you are to do the same thing.

Need to go where the jobs are. Can't make a costco appear

Rusty Jones
09-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I drive taxis as a second job. I typically clear $250 after a 12-hour shift. And that job is helluva lot more easier than yours.

Juggs
09-05-2013, 08:48 PM
I drive taxis as a second job. I typically clear $250 after a 12-hour shift. And that job is helluva lot more easier than yours.

I disagree I think being a taxi driver could be much harder. Dealing with assholes, constant threat of drunk drivers or just shitty drivers. I have road rage issues that would make being a taxi driver very difficult for me. Stocking shelves is the most mundane and menial task ever.

My FF job I get 11.65/hr. It's the same whether I'm pulling a 24, 12, or get called in for mutual aid or station coverage. I've I'm here it's 11.65/hr. I love this job though. I'm stocking shelves until I start EMT school and get picked up at another dept. Ill make more money at the other dept than I do at Walmart plus it's way more exciting and busy.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Is that from mostly intra-city runs or are you doing airport shuttle runs?

I kicked around the idea of buying a Super Shuttle franchise but never felt like I could get an good estimate of how much revenue it would bring in.

I know each city has a wildly different market for taxis but 250 sounds pretty good. Do you own your taxi or are you driving for someone else? If 250 is just your cut, then you must have a pretty busy market in Norfolk.

Rusty Jones
09-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I know each city has a wildly different market for taxis but 250 sounds pretty good. Do you own your taxi or are you driving for someone else? If 250 is just your cut, then you must have a pretty busy market in Norfolk.

Yeah, it depends on the company and what city. You don't make the $250 in the summer; it's more like $150, but you're good for the rest of the year.

Virginia Beach actually picks up during the summer - we're talking around $400; but flat out sucks the rest of the year. I drove there for about two weeks once, and was lucky if I even got five fares during a 12-hour shift. Norfolk is a much better deal than Virginia Beach.

If you choose to drive taxis, make sure you choose the right city... and always go with the major company, and not with the mom & pop companies. You can make money with the mom & pop companies if you rack up alot of personal repeat customers; but that's the only way you'll do it since no one calls them.

AlexCross
09-05-2013, 09:21 PM
I work on Veteran's Issues for my boss. I have some hard copy stuff and there is a link:

http://walmartcareerswithamission.com/

Feel free if anyone has any questions about stuff like this to PM me.

This would be good info for the Resources section. Not the whole post...but just this link.

Rusty Jones
09-05-2013, 09:22 PM
BTW, I've heard that limo drivers make even more than that - sometimes clearing up to $1,500; plus, if I'm not mistaken, they're actually paid a wage too. I just never looked into it much, because I'm too "comfortable" with where I'm at.

20+Years
09-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I disagree I think being a taxi driver could be much harder. Dealing with assholes, constant threat of drunk drivers or just shitty drivers. I have road rage issues that would make being a taxi driver very difficult for me. Stocking shelves is the most mundane and menial task ever.

My FF job I get 11.65/hr. It's the same whether I'm pulling a 24, 12, or get called in for mutual aid or station coverage. I've I'm here it's 11.65/hr. I love this job though. I'm stocking shelves until I start EMT school and get picked up at another dept. Ill make more money at the other dept than I do at Walmart plus it's way more exciting and busy.

I don't care what someone offered... I am not driving for a living. Hell no! I'd rather have lower pay than an ulcer.

garhkal
09-06-2013, 05:16 AM

I tried applying to Dollar general after moving up here to Reynoldsburg, and never got a call back (3 different positions, 2 stores near me), a mall up on the NE side of house (night security for Sears) at least had a phone interview but nothign afterwards. Heck even the local Gander mountain (who STILL have a big "hiring" sign up) have not called back after i applied on line for 4 different positions. And that was after the va center refered them.
If walmart will take me, then they get me.

Combined with most places require taxi drivers to have specific licenses (and those medallions in NY which cost a pretty penny), and you are out driving a heck of a lot, so you're car's wear and tear is going to be higher.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-06-2013, 05:28 AM

What does that mean?

Happy turnover?

Low turnover, ok, but happy turnover?

sandsjames
09-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I just wanted to make people aware of a veteran option for a job. Didn't want to start a war about where is better to work or what corporation is evil. Everybody has preferences and standards for themselves. I hope that if you all are aware of other veterans options you will feel free to place them in here to give the rest of us ideas that work as benefits from working in the military.

TJMAC77SP
09-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I just wanted to make people aware of a veteran option for a job. Didn't want to start a war about where is better to work or what corporation is evil. Everybody has preferences and standards for themselves. I hope that if you all are aware of other veterans options you will feel free to place them in here to give the rest of us ideas that work as benefits from working in the military.

And thanks for that SJ.

Rusty Jones
09-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Combined with most places require taxi drivers to have specific licenses (and those medallions in NY which cost a pretty penny), and you are out driving a heck of a lot, so you're car's wear and tear is going to be higher.

If you're leasing a cab through a cab company, you don't need the medallion. The medallion is for whoever owns the cab. The purpose of this is to limit the number of cabs on the street in a particular city.

The only time a driver is going to need a medallion is if he or she owns their own cab.

garhkal
09-06-2013, 06:05 PM
That is true.. but how many companies lease out taxi's?

Rusty Jones
09-06-2013, 06:51 PM
That is true.. but how many companies lease out taxi's?

With the exception of the independant guys out there with their one taxi that they own with their name on the side of it; they all do.

They key is being able to find one that does 12-hour and six-hour leases. The smaller companies tend to lease by the week, but you don't want to go with one of these companies or owning your own cab unless you're highly experienced - because owning your own cab or driving for a mom & pop company means that you have to rely on personal repeat customers and flaggers; since there's little to no dispatch for you.

You really want to work for the biggest company in the area, that way you have dispatch.

Juggs
09-09-2013, 03:37 PM
I thought about buying an older minivan and doing the airport shuttle thing. Since I have base access, and experience with troops I figured I could do that fairly I well. Plus possibly just do Friday nights or Saturday nights. Here on the panhandle between Duke field, hurby and Eglin I think I'd make a killing but then again, like many small businesses I could also get killed. So I pussed out.