PDA

View Full Version : Recieved a warning from moderators, for something there is no rule against?

veritas
09-03-2013, 11:12 PM

efmbman
09-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Congratulations. You must be so proud.

efmbman
09-03-2013, 11:23 PM
What is your motivation to post your warning here for all to see? Could it be that you sense there is a large population that does not like the way the mods are handling things here and this is a way for you to sit at the cool kids table? All the cool kids get caught smoking in the bathroom, so you light one up too?

sandsjames
09-03-2013, 11:28 PM
How do I get a warning for something there is no rule against? Could this get any more complicated please?

Below is the warning i received...wtf over?

Dear veritas,

You have received a warning at MilitaryTimes Forums.

Reason:
-------
attempt to be off topic

You should have split the Why is robot chicken banned? & 21st Century Air and Space Power into two separate threads. They are not really related to each other.

Attempt to be off topic? LOL...I'd think you're either off topic or your not. It would take some serious incompetence to not be able to succeed in that aspect.

Either way...you're screwed. Expect permaban in less than 72 hours. There doesn't need to be a rule against it because, as they've shown, they can make up the rules as they go along.

And thank you for posting that. I've been curious about what people are getting dinged for. Now I see how serious these infractions really are. That's almost as bad as going to the head shed without shining your boots first (disclaimer, the last statement about shining boots was in no way an "attempt to be off topic").

efmbman
09-03-2013, 11:29 PM
I must be right on the money with my assessment. Otherwise you would not have turned the question around on me. Thanks - that's all I need to know.

sandsjames
09-03-2013, 11:32 PM
I must be right on the money with my assessment. Otherwise you would not have turned the question around on me. Thanks - that's all I need to know.

Please be careful. Your comment has nothing to do with the original post.

Bourne
09-03-2013, 11:35 PM
OK. Veritas. Your threads on the topic of moderation, and your excessive reporting for non-existent issues are a clear indicator. You do not actually have a gripe, but merely want to agitate.

Questions or complaints, like this and "Why is robot chicken banned? & 21st Century Air and Space Power" do not belong in the AF section. Being on topic IS a rule. You violated it twice now.

No more games, please? Moving this to Questions forum as it pertains to the forum.

UH1FE
09-03-2013, 11:36 PM
At the rate the mods are going they wont have anything to quote in AF Times. The ship is sinking and everyone is jumping to other forums.

Bourne
09-03-2013, 11:42 PM
So, people have been banned for not staying on topic - JB being the most famous one, and you're still saying that this rule is not obvious to you, and take up a bone to pick about it being in writing?

As I said, no more games please.

UH1FE
09-03-2013, 11:45 PM
So if its not in the rules and I were a junior member who did not previously read these forums a lot I could get banned for not know the unwritten rules?

Bourne
09-03-2013, 11:46 PM
This user has been here a long time, only with a new name. We know this. Veritas knows it. The time for games is over Veritas.

Bourne
09-03-2013, 11:48 PM
... You think I do not know who you are?

UH1FE
09-03-2013, 11:49 PM
This user has been here a long time, only with a new name. We know this. Veritas knows it. The time for games is over Veritas.

What about new people who don't know the unwritten rules?

Bourne
09-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Veritas, here is your writing:
Do not post topics about forum moderation in any forum other than this one, "Questions."
Do not disrupt normal discourse on the forum.

You started this thread by saying you received a warning about your behavior right? That is the warning. You were not reprimanded, you were not banned, nothing punitive happened to you. So this entire gripe, again, is purely a game.

You were told three times now, that your behavior is disruptive. How much more writing do you need.

UH1FE
09-04-2013, 12:00 AM
And......I'm off to another forum. AF times is the perfect name all wishy washy just like the real AF.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:07 AM
OK. Veritas. Your threads on the topic of moderation, and your excessive reporting for non-existent issues are a clear indicator. You do not actually have a gripe, but merely want to agitate.

Questions or complaints, like this and "Why is robot chicken banned? & 21st Century Air and Space Power" do not belong in the AF section. Being on topic IS a rule. You violated it twice now.

No more games, please? Moving this to Questions forum as it pertains to the forum.

21st Century Air and Space Power doesn't belong in the AF section?

Mjölnir
09-04-2013, 12:11 AM
21st Century Air and Space Power doesn't belong in the AF section?

If the people who responded talked about 21st Century Air Power, then it would. Since the part of the title that you left off "Why was RobotChicken banned" was what people talked about, that isn't related to the Air Force and it was moved.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:13 AM
If the people who responded talked about 21st Century Air Power, then it would. Since the part of the title that you left off "Why was RobotChicken banned" was what people talked about, that isn't related to the Air Force and it was moved.
"Why is robot chicken banned? & 21st Century Air and Space Power"

My mistake. I didn't realize it was one thread. I thought they were two separate threads and the quotes were just misplaced.

Mjölnir
09-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Maybe if the thread had stayed in the air force section longer, people would have started talking about my 21st Century Air Power topic..guess well never know...

Or, if you want to have that debate you could do as was suggested and repost as its own topic in the Air Force Forum, you are certainly encouraged to do so.

RFScott
09-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Maybe if the thread had stayed in the air force section longer, people would have started talking about my 21st Century Air Power topic..guess well never know...

Or perhaps you could have created two different threads with each in the appropriate section...

As much as I disagree with veritas and this antagonizing buffoonery, I do think that the Community Guidelines are in sore need of a rewrite for clarification. Some of the information about reporting posts seems to be related to an older version of the board.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Or, if you want to have that debate you could do as was suggested and repost as its own topic in the Air Force Forum, you are certainly encouraged to do so.

I do love your screen name and the fact that, by your sig line, you think you are a god to be feared on this site.

Mjölnir
09-04-2013, 12:21 AM
And about the rules that you haven't read, the following are really coming to mind:

Please see the FAQ http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/faq.php (http://%28http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/faq.php%29) for the official Community Guidelines, License Agreement and Terms of Service.

Disruption
You're welcome to voice your opinion here, and it would be a boring place if you didn't. But if you disagree with a comment that's been made, keep it civil. Posts designed to instigate or disrupt discussions or that contain offensive material may be removed, along with other messages posted in response. Please don't use obscene or offensive language, hate speech or engage in personal attacks of other members. Bashing services on branch-specific forums or any forum is not acceptable within our communities. Posts made with the intent to belittle, harass or otherwise disrupt a community will be removed. Repeated instances of such harassment and disruption may result in a revocation of posting privileges.

Emphasis on "Posts made with the intent to belittle, harass or otherwise disrupt a community will be removed. Repeated instances of such harassment and disruption may result in a revocation of posting privileges."

Private Messages
Important word here is private. Private means not for public consumption and it's just common courtesy not to post the contents of private messages on the public boards. Posting private communication may be viewed as member harassment and/or disruption which may result in the suspension of posting privileges.

Since the warning was sent to you via Private Message you fairy clearly violated that.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Honestly I haven't looked outside the Air Force section in at least 6 months. However, the organization is one issue I don't mind being fixed.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Is there an unwritten rule about necroposting? Or does that fall under the "disruptive" catch all rule? That whole "disruptive" thing feels pretty subjective and kind of a cop out for when somebody wants to ban someone and doesn't have a good reason.

Mjölnir
09-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Honestly I haven't looked outside the Air Force section in at least 6 months. However, the organization is one issue I don't mind being fixed.

You are outside of it in this thread actually.

And yes, the organization is one of the things I try to work on the most. The simple fact is, you don't need to post everything in the Air Force Forum for it to be seen. I think everyone tech savvy enough to use a computer knows how to use a message board and the search window if they can't find something. Additionally when I move posts I leave the redirect so people can see where the thread moved, also a subtle hint on the attempt at fixing the organization.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:29 AM
You are outside of it in this thread actually.

And yes, the organization is one of the things I try to work on the most. The simple fact is, you don't need to post everything in the Air Force Forum to it to be seen. I think everyone tech savvy enough to use a computer knows how to use a message board and the search window if they can't find something. Additionally when I move posts I leave the redirect so people can see where the thread moved, also a subtle hint on the attempt at fixing the organization.

Had no idea. I just click "New Posts" and go from there.

Mjölnir
09-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Is there an unwritten rule about necroposting? Or does that fall under the "disruptive" catch all rule? That whole "disruptive" thing feels pretty subjective and kind of a cop out for when somebody wants to ban someone and doesn't have a good reason.

It depends, is there a new development in an old issue? Was there a development in the WillsPowers case or something like that? Then no.

Going around and necroposting every thread by someone though and adding nothing to the conversation in an attempt to bury legitimate/current topics or to just be a pain, yes, that is disruptive.

In general though, I think common sense actually does apply.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:35 AM
It depends, is there a new development in an old issue? Was there a development in the WillsPowers case or something like that? Then no.

Going around and necroposting every thread by someone though and adding nothing to the conversation in an attempt to bury legitimate/current topics or to just be a pain, yes, that is disruptive.

In general though, I think common sense actually does apply.

I've been in several forums where people will bump old topics just because they think they're interesting and want to get them back to the forefront. I know RobotChicken bumped a lot. I cannot claim to know what his intent was. I think, even in court, attempting to guess someone's intent would warrant an objection..."calls for speculation".

Smeghead
09-04-2013, 12:39 AM
This place has gotten pretty stupid lately.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Is there a rule about being a friend of the person who was banned and how might one be "systematically" removed, and what would constitute helping them "circumvent" that ban? How would that even happen?

imnohero
09-04-2013, 12:42 AM
..."calls for speculation".

Not when the bonehead says that's why he's doing it.

sandsjames
09-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Not when the bonehead says that's why he's doing it.

Ahhh...I see...I haven't looked through any of that stuff.

imnohero
09-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Back in peak form already, ROAD? That didn't take long. Let me ask you something, is it hard to come up with this nonsense, or does it come naturally?

UH1FE
09-04-2013, 12:49 AM
This place has gotten pretty stupid lately.

I agree! On a side not with all the don't do this don't do that. How is this :nutkick: allowed and this:blowjob: and this:asshole: and this :hijacked:? Seriously why even have a thread hijacked face if its not allowed?????? So.......nutkick is ok, blowjob is ok, asshole is ok but you will DIE if even slightly go off topic! And I only used the words AF Times uses to describe these stupid little face things what ever they are called.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-04-2013, 02:00 AM
I agree! On a side not with all the don't do this don't do that. How is this :nutkick: allowed and this:blowjob: and this:asshole: and this :hijacked:? Seriously why even have a thread hijacked face if its not allowed?????? So.......nutkick is ok, blowjob is ok, asshole is ok but you will DIE if even slightly go off topic! And I only used the words AF Times uses to describe these stupid little face things what ever they are called.

They have a blowjob emoticon! It is pretty graphic too, I just hope General Fogelsong doesn't hear about this.

RS6405
09-04-2013, 02:43 AM
I have been wondering when someone would use some of those risque emoticons.

Rizzo77
09-04-2013, 03:16 AM
I have been wondering when someone would use some of those risque emoticons.

Dang. I always thought it was a smiley "blowing off" conventional behavior. :blowjob:

Drackore
09-04-2013, 11:46 AM
It's pretty fucking bad when Smeg comes up from nowhere to post, and his silence is broken to comment about how crappy this place is.

Because of the mods.

Who are giant powertripping morons.

BRUWIN
09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I am sort of proud, its like getting a traffic ticket for having your A/C on.

LOL...I'm gonna remember that one.

But seriously, you do need to stay on one topic and those two topics really don't belong in one thread. I saw it and I was like "WTF does he think he is doing?" I'm glad the Mod hopped on it. He's just doing his job.

Pullinteeth
09-04-2013, 04:20 PM
So, people have been banned for not staying on topic - JB being the most famous one, and you're still saying that this rule is not obvious to you, and take up a bone to pick about it being in writing?

As I said, no more games please.

Really? THAT got Joe a perma-ban? I have to say that is the stooooooooooopidest thing I have heard in a while. Who really cares if a thread goes off-topic? If the OP was that interesting, people would comment on it. If it isn't...who really cares if it goes off the rails?

... You think I do not know who you are?

Are you there God?

Bourne
09-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Posting Atheist/Religious hate in random meme threads, or discussions of changes in the military, is both off-topic and offensive.

Pullinteeth
09-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Posting Atheist/Religious hate in random meme threads, or discussions of changes in the military, is both off-topic and offensive.

See? THAT makes sense and is more along the lines of what I was thinking...

UH1FE
09-04-2013, 11:52 PM
I see that some emoticons were removed. BUT.......a half assed job was done. The first thing I would have done is review ALL of them. So what about these:fuckyou::stupid::3some::blocked::fing26::mad fawk::squintfinger::bsflag::liar::gay: So seriously quit with the everyone gets a trophy and no one should ever have their poor little feelings hurt. I don't want any of these emoticons removed but since the whole purge has started everything has been half assed. Update the community guidelines sometime this year? Instead of this wishy washy we make up the rules as we go. Quit with the "we can't think of every situation" because we all know that is just a huge excuse!

Because of the max of 10 emoticons I had to leave out all the WHAT THE FUCK emoticons........sorry

Bourne
09-05-2013, 02:37 AM
What about them?

I am still not sure what your gripe is with most of those icons. Really, the middle finger, B.S. and Stupid?