PDA

View Full Version : How the Air Force looked in 1996...

BOSS302
09-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Only a couple of the links still work, but it's still cool to see the differences between the Air Force site of 1996 and today's Air Force website.

http://web.archive.org/web/19961029012625/http://airforce.com/

imported_chipotleboy
09-02-2013, 11:48 PM
The photo of the building with the "Visitors Center" sign in front of it looks like the Wright-Patterson Medical Center.

Many websites looked like that way back then.

Chief_KO
09-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Elite gate guard wearing blues...back when wearing blues was something folks strived to do.

sandsjames
09-03-2013, 03:33 AM
Elite gate guard wearing blues...back when wearing blues was something folks strived to do.

Very true. Unfortunately, shortly after that time frame, leadership associated blues with punishment...somebody gets a DUI, everyone in Blues at 0600 Monday at Group building...someone fails a dorm inspection...supervisors in blues at the dorms at 0600 on a Saturday while GI party takes place. You relate something to shitty things over and over and people are going to stop thinking it's a "privilege" to wear them.

Bunch
09-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Very true. Unfortunately, shortly after that time frame, leadership associated blues with punishment...somebody gets a DUI, everyone in Blues at 0600 Monday at Group building...someone fails a dorm inspection...supervisors in blues at the dorms at 0600 on a Saturday while GI party takes place. You relate something to shitty things over and over and people are going to stop thinking it's a "privilege" to wear them.

+1 Never thought about it this way.

Pullinteeth
09-03-2013, 02:01 PM

It still is... Just like back then, Trainees absolutely strive to make it to the last week so they can wear blues.

sandsjames
09-03-2013, 02:10 PM
It still is... Just like back then, Trainees absolutely strive to make it to the last week so they can wear blues.

Then they try to make it through the first couple weeks of tech school so they can get out of them.

Chief_KO
09-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Then they try to make it through the first couple weeks of tech school so they can get out of them.

And then they try to wear the same pair of blue pants, shirt, & flight cap till the rank of MSgt.

RetC141BFCC
09-05-2013, 03:59 PM
And then they try to wear the same pair of blue pants, shirt, & flight cap till the rank of MSgt.

Ok maybe not MSgt, I did try to wear them to NCOA but they did not fit anymore. That was a couple of hundred I had to spend

retiredAFcivvy
09-05-2013, 10:55 PM

That was my best laugh of the day. I can envision that.
It wasn't any different in 1966 either.