PDA

View Full Version : Is Tak Joe Bonham?

AJBIGJ
08-27-2013, 04:32 AM
I know a few among us were under the impression that "John Drake" was a new alias of Joe Bonham, what interested me most was this simple reply to a simple inquiry from me:

"OK. Mods, seriously? What did John Drake do? I've been back and forth with him non-stop for a day and a half, yet the conversations were quite civil and if anything the harassing comments were towards this individual and not from them. I have to wonder if this is a suddenly political stance, and not a violation of the TOS issue."

The reply as follows:

""john drake" was an alternate account that "tak" was using to circumvent his ban. He was warned earlier today by Bourne to discontinue it's use. Since he did continue this account was also banned."

Interesting how the Tak and Joe Bonham bans seem to be so closely tied together eh?

Bunch
08-27-2013, 04:54 AM
I personally doubt that just because they could track the account by the IP address and know that both account belong to the same member.

If JB an Tak were the same person that means that he would have gone to some cumbersome measures to post on one account then post on the other. Not technologically difficult but really kind of extreme for someone who just wanted to post on a simple message board.

If that was the case the that person needs some serious help.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-27-2013, 05:22 AM
AJBIGJ

I would fall out of my chair if the old JB and the Tak accounts were the person. That doesn't seem possible to me; do you really think that are you joking?

Honestly, I'm starting to worry if I'm spending too much time in here myself. Why should I even care about this petty little drama?

I might be better off if I just went back to posting pictures of Lilly Ghalichi.

TJMAC77SP
08-27-2013, 11:56 AM
[MENTION=34648]AJBIGJ I might be better off if I just went back to posting pictures of Lilly Ghalichi.

Please !!

efmbman
08-27-2013, 12:48 PM
If Tak = John Drake, then Tak seriously changed up his style of posting. I had my suspicions, but the only thing that got me thinking that John Drake had anything to do with Tak was that RobotChicken liked and thanks every post John Drake made. It is nice to see such unwaivering loyalty from subordinates.

I do not think Tak = JB.

The most comical part of all this: the same folks that yell and scream about how much they hate what this place turned into, yet can't seem to stay away.

20+Years
08-27-2013, 01:31 PM
No way Tak was JB. That would have been an impressive case of multi-personalities.

TJMAC77SP
08-27-2013, 01:58 PM
No way Tak was JB. That would have been an impressive case of multi-personalities.

He came close with John Drake.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-27-2013, 02:11 PM
This reminds me of that 1970s sitcom, Soap. One of the characters used to carry around a ventriloquist dummy all the time and for some reason they took it away from him.

The guy flipped out and started grabbing everything he could possibly use as a proxy dummy, like hamburger buns and grapefruit halves.

SomeRandomGuy
08-27-2013, 03:11 PM
I know a few among us were under the impression that "John Drake" was a new alias of Joe Bonham, what interested me most was this simple reply to a simple inquiry from me:

"OK. Mods, seriously? What did John Drake do? I've been back and forth with him non-stop for a day and a half, yet the conversations were quite civil and if anything the harassing comments were towards this individual and not from them. I have to wonder if this is a suddenly political stance, and not a violation of the TOS issue."

The reply as follows:

""john drake" was an alternate account that "tak" was using to circumvent his ban. He was warned earlier today by Bourne to discontinue it's use. Since he did continue this account was also banned."

Interesting how the Tak and Joe Bonham bans seem to be so closely tied together eh?

I seriously doubt that Tak and Joe Bonham are the same person. I do think that this new John Drake person is the old JB. If you remember the explanation of how the name Joe Bonham was selected you could safely assume the person who picked that name would select John Drake as a new name. It could also be that someone who is very bored did enough research and tried to assume JB's old role.

The interesting thing is that the moderator is claiming they are matching IP addresses up to individual users. Let's use Tak as an example. Tak is located at Minot AFB. I have never personally been to Minot but I assume the options for an Internet Service Provider (ISP) are slim. Let's say Tak is using Time Warner Cable as his ISP. Time Warner normally uses dynamic IP addresses (a new IP is assigned each time the computer connects) as opposed to static IP addresses (IP address assigned to a computer and does not change). So if Tak unplugs his modem or takes his computer off the interent he will then be assigned a new IP by Time Warner. Since Time Warner has a limited number of IP addresses it is possible that another user may logon to this site from Minot and be flagged because they have a similar IP address to Tak. The other issue you could run into is people who access MTF from their phones. Tak used to logon here from his phone while at the gym, from work (before he retired), and from his house. He has no doubt logged onto this site with several different IPs. I highly doubt they can block them all. Especially when you consider that a completely different user could show up under one of those IP addresses if they logon from a location Tak previously did (the base gym for example)

Also it is important to remember that people could also effectively "cloak their IP" by using a VPN or proxy. Now I do realize that there was a popup box stating proxy servers are no longer allowed here. A VPN is different from a proxy and would appear to be perfectly legitimate. I don't claim to be entirely tech savvy but I do know that there are legitimate reasons why someone would hide behind a proxy or VPN (virtual private network). I have a subscription to a VPN (though I don't use it here). Sometimes if I want to watch a baseball game on the internet I get blacked out because of my proximity to where the game is being played. In order to get around that you simply logon to the VPN and make it appear that your IP address is from a different location. When you logon to sites this way it appears you are behind a perfectly legitimate IP when you are not. As far as I know this forum would not have the technology to detect people using that tactic. Even if they do I would question why they would want to waste the time and resources to try and weed out people who just want to come here and chat.

sandsjames
08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
I have a very hard time believing that Tak = John Drake. If so, it's one of the best attempts to throw people off the track I've seen.

AJBIGJ
08-27-2013, 03:29 PM
I have a very hard time believing that Tak = John Drake. If so, it's one of the best attempts to throw people off the track I've seen.

If anything, I would have figured the mods of all people would know, at least I would hope they're not banning forum members haphazardly on the mere suspicion that it might be the same individual.

SomeRandomGuy
08-27-2013, 03:38 PM

Very few people are able to effectively change their "voice" when writing. There is pretty much no way that this John Drake person is the old Tak. No matter how hard Tak tries I doubt he could duplicate Joe's logic and writing style. It would be the same as if I tried to pretend I am Rusty Jones. I have completely different political views and it would be hard to steal his point of view and then put it into words that sound like something he would say. That just is not possible I would definitly question the sanity of anyone who tried something like that just for fun on an anonymous internet forum.

AJBIGJ
08-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Very few people are able to effectively change their "voice" when writing. There is pretty much no way that this John Drake person is the old Tak. No matter how hard Tak tries I doubt he could duplicate Joe's logic and writing style. It would be the same as if I tried to pretend I am Rusty Jones. I have completely different political views and it would be hard to steal his point of view and then put it into words that sound like something he would say. That just is not possible I would definitly question the sanity of anyone who tried something like that just for fun on an anonymous internet forum.

If true, this is very disturbing, as there would seem to be no reason to ban John Drake whatsoever, or because the person is in actuality JB, and the mod simply mistyped the individual.

Rizzo77
08-30-2013, 06:56 PM
What happened to Joe Bonham? That is a real question; I was out of town for awhile.

AJBIGJ
08-30-2013, 07:02 PM
What happened to Joe Bonham? That is a real question; I was out of town for awhile.
I now know that it's a long story, and I will respect certain individual's wishes for privacy in the matter.

Rusty Jones
08-30-2013, 08:03 PM
The most comical part of all this: the same folks that yell and scream about how much they hate what this place turned into, yet can't seem to stay away.

Maybe at first, but not anymore. I'll just continue to do as I've always done. I'll eventually get banned permanently, so I'm just riding out my time until that happens. They can ban me, but they can't pussify me.

wildman
08-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Simple the decisions of the mods are final. What part of this are you all finding hard to comprehend?

Always,
Wildman

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-30-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm convinced JB=Drake. Same type of posting and online personality.

efmbman
08-30-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm convinced JB=Drake. Same type of posting and online personality.

I'm not so sure. Drake is much more polite than JB, and does not bait nearly as much.

RS6405
08-31-2013, 01:33 AM
Well Drake is JB.... at least that is what a PM from Drake claimed.

:becky

Bunch
08-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Well Drake is JB.... at least that is what a PM from Drake claimed.

:becky

Yeah... I received that too... Banned member supporting another banned member... Go figure...

wildman
08-31-2013, 02:34 AM
Yeah... I received that too... Banned member supporting another banned member... Go figure...

Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

Write fricking English or go post on a foreign language forum!

Always,
Wildman

RS6405
08-31-2013, 02:35 AM
Well, Joe was just clarifying that he was not Tak.

Bunch
08-31-2013, 02:36 AM
Write fricking English or go post on a foreign language forum!

Always,
Wildman

You are in urgent need of a "diversity" CBT .

imnohero
08-31-2013, 02:42 AM
yea, I saw it. Let me summarize:

I pissed off the forum admin and got banned. Then I decided I could fuck with them by creating alt accounts, cause trouble, and see how long it would take me to get banned again. Someone else got blamed for my BS, so I wrote this so you would know who was really to blame. Oh yeah, I have no intention of stopping, so if you get banned, make sure you blame the right person.

Sociopath much? Cripes.

Rizzo77
08-31-2013, 04:07 AM
Maybe at first, but not anymore. I'll just continue to do as I've always done. I'll eventually get banned permanently, so I'm just riding out my time until that happens. They can ban me, but they can't pussify me.

Uuummmm. That's not even worth a joke...

Absinthe Anecdote
08-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Tak is neither Joe Bonham nor John Drake.

Neither Joe Bonham nor John Drake are Tak.

Of those three names, there are but two actual people.

Do the math.

This is fun, it is kind like that riddle where a farmer is standing on one bank of a river, with a fox, a chicken, and a bag of grain, but only dumber.

sandsjames
08-31-2013, 01:32 PM
This is fun, it is kind like that riddle where a farmer is standing on one bank of a river, with a fox, a chicken, and a bag of grain, but only dumber.

That's seems offensive that you'd state that Measure Man is dumber than a child's riddle. I hope the mods step in and stop this kind of activity.

RS6405
08-31-2013, 02:01 PM
No SJ. AA repeats the party lines while defending the Mods. There is nothing wrong with his behavior. :becky

sandsjames
08-31-2013, 02:08 PM
No SJ. AA repeats the party lines while defending the Mods. There is nothing wrong with his behavior. :becky

This is why I think we should be able to know who the Alts are for the Mods...that way we can ensure they aren't crossing their own lines.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-31-2013, 02:43 PM
That's seems offensive that you'd state that Measure Man is dumber than a child's riddle. I hope the mods step in and stop this kind of activity.

You are missing the point entirely.

First, you put Joe Bonham and Tak in the rowboat and take them across the river.

You then leave Tak on the opposite side of the river, ban him, and take Joe Bonham back to the other side to pick up John Drake.

While navigating the river you'll have to be mindful of strong currents and an excessive amount of emoticons and incoherent barbs being launched at you from Robot Chicken who suddenly appeared on the river bank with Tak and a very large number of three year old threads.

When you arrive to pick up John Drake you now have to contend with a handful of posters who think they are being censored and are hurling copies of the Constitutional Bill of Rights at you while singing "Songs of Freedom" by Bob Marley.

The leftist undertones of the Bob Marley tunes puts Joe Bonham in an excitable state and he begins to squirm and thrash around in the boat so you ban him and John Drake.

You are now feeling a little groggy and bloated from drinking too much Yoo Hoo chocolate drink and your fingers are covered in a grimy orange film from the bag of Doritos beside your keyboard.

You decide to take a break from your little Internet forum adventure and hop into your hoopty and drive down to Bob Evans to see if there are any new waitresses there to hit on.

You aren't even thinking of Tak, Joe Bonham and John Drake anymore as the cutest waitress comes over to take you order.

Her snug fitting uniform displays her round firm bosom and the name tag happily perched above the right breast says, "Marcie."

You smile and tell Marcie that you'd like a short stack of pancakes and cup of coffee.

Her thin lips part and she flashes you a bright dazzling smile, her silky brown hair is pulled back into a smart pony tail held in place with a velvet scrunchie.

Marcie slowly leans forward to take the menu from your hands and you smell the fragrant aroma of panteen amid the smell of bacon and maple syrup.

You begin humming Redemption Song as she walks back to the counter to place your order and you realize that banning Tak, Joe Bonham, and John Drake was the right thing to do.

AJBIGJ
08-31-2013, 02:55 PM
You are missing the point entirely.

I will say there's a lot of that going on around here of late, possibly due to the fact that there is a lot more self-censorship that has resulted from the combination of the effects of alcohol, PM conversations with individual posters that nobody else participates in, and a general hesitancy to state things plainly nowadays. Only the last of these I would lay at the feet of the mods.

UncaRastus
08-31-2013, 03:06 PM
AbsintheAnecdote,

I pilot an Indian Chief. I do not drive a hoopty.

By the way, I really enjoyed your 'Why did the RobotChicken cross the river' story.

UR

Absinthe Anecdote
08-31-2013, 03:09 PM
AbsintheAnecdote,

I pilot an Indian Chief. I do not drive a hoopty.

Just focus on the waitress in the story, you'll be much happier if you do.

UncaRastus
08-31-2013, 03:15 PM
I must admit, the aroma of Pantene, bacon, and maple syrup did act as the perfect perfume. thereby setting up the inevitable action thereafter.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-31-2013, 03:46 PM
I will say there's a lot of that going on around here of late, possibly due to the fact that there is a lot more self-censorship that has resulted from the combination of the effects of alcohol, PM conversations with individual posters that nobody else participates in, and a general hesitancy to state things plainly nowadays. Only the last of these I would lay at the feet of the mods.

I don't agree that the mods have imposed any draconian measures that limit free speech in here.

I do offer the following for your consideration:

The mods can not control your thoughts but can only put limitations on how these thoughts are expressed.

It is up to the poster to be creative and clever enough to express their opinions in a manner that are within the confines of the forum rules.

For some people that is easy but for others it takes a little more effort.

Having read a good number of your posts during the past year, I feel comfortable saying that you are a very capable and clever poster.

In my opinion, your concerns aren't about free speech being stifled but are rooted in a disagreement over the bans of other posters and a flurry of PM grievances.

How you come to terms with that is up to you ultimately. However, if you are clever with your words, perhaps you'll be able to persuade the mods to reverse their decision and lift the ban on your friends.

If that is your true goal it would be best served by being frank and strait forward about it. Create a convincing argument that provokes thought about what your true goal is.

Don't create subterfuge with the enlistment oath and claims of civil rights violations or the market economy.

If all else fails think of Marcie, the waitress from my little story, she'll make you feel better.

PS

Marcie is into yoga and is very bendy.

AJBIGJ
08-31-2013, 03:49 PM
If all else fails think of Marcie, the waitress from my little story, she'll make you feel better.

PS

Marcie is into yoga and is very bendy.

It's hard for me to imagine this Marcie, most of the eating establishments in my area provide waitresses that generally more closely resemble "Olgas" if you catch my drift.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-31-2013, 03:57 PM
It's hard for me to imagine this Marcie, most of the eating establishments in my area provide waitresses that generally more closely resemble "Olgas" if you catch my drift.

You poor bastard.

You need to move or create a fantasy world inside your head; either way, good luck!

PS

The name Olga makes me think of the platinum blonde sergeant from those old Police Academy movies. :-)

sandsjames
08-31-2013, 06:42 PM
I've been called worse :=/

Wait, what...???

Yeah...what???

Absinthe Anecdote
08-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Sounded like she said calling MM dumb is the party line.

For the record, I called the riddle you posed as being dumb.

I don't think you are dumb for posing such a riddle, let's just avoid the topic of NASCAR. ;-)

RS6405
08-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Sounded like she said calling MM dumb is the party line.

Not in public MM. JK. :becky

RS6405
08-31-2013, 06:59 PM
That would make me a fool

Mjölnir
09-02-2013, 02:38 PM
This conversation has been off the thread title for 5 pages now.

I have created a thread "Diversity in the U.S." and copied all the diversity / language etc. related posts to there.

AJBIGJ
09-02-2013, 02:45 PM
This conversation has been off the thread title for 5 pages now.

I have created a thread "Diversity in the U.S." and copied all the diversity / language etc. related posts to there.

As the OP of this thread, I would not be offended in the least if you buried it deep in the archives, it's pretty much a dead horse now regardless!

Mjölnir
09-02-2013, 02:46 PM
As the OP of this thread, I would not be offended in the least if you buried it deep in the archives, it's pretty much a dead horse now regardless!

I don't know how to do that yet. It took me a few tries to move posts without creating all new threads each time.

Edit: I accidentally deleted the 'Diversity' thread (deleting the redirect also deleted the thread). I am trying to un-delete it right now, not an attempt to halt the debate.

AJBIGJ
09-02-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't know how to do that yet. It took me a few tries to move posts without creating all new threads each time.

Edit: I accidentally deleted the 'Diversity' thread. I am trying to uncover it right now, not at all an attempt to halt the debate.

Not a problem, I do know when normal posters try to bury a thread, they just add something mundane into other threads to move the thread they want to bury down in the list. I imagine, at the moderator level, there would be a way to move other threads ahead of this one in the list without adding any actual new content. But I'm not exactly a web-savvy admin-type so I may be completely off base.

Cerberus
09-02-2013, 03:14 PM
As far as I can tell: To move posts, or threads, without altering content requires changing the dates on the thread or posts...That requires access to the post database; moderators do not have that access.

My apologies for interjecting.

AJBIGJ
09-02-2013, 03:20 PM
As far as I can tell: To move posts, or threads, without altering content requires changing the dates on the thread or posts...That requires access to the post database; moderators do not have that access.

My apologies for interjecting.

At the very least we can all learn something new in the process!

Cerberus
09-02-2013, 04:42 PM

Edit: I accidentally deleted the 'Diversity' thread (deleting the redirect also deleted the thread). I am trying to un-delete it right now, not an attempt to halt the debate.

On behalf of myself and Mjölnir: We have been unable to recover the new "Diversity in the US" thread. We have asked for help from FA. Please be patient with us.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
09-02-2013, 04:52 PM
On behalf of myself and Mjölnir: We have been unable to recover the new "Diversity in the US" thread. We have asked for help from FA. Please be patient with us.

Just curious. Do the moderators have rank, like "Moderator Basic," "Moderator First Class," or "Captain Moderator?" Do you guys have to address the FA by "sir" or "ma'am?" Do you have virtual roll calls?

Cerberus
09-02-2013, 05:11 PM
LOL. No.

AJBIGJ
09-02-2013, 05:21 PM
What was kind of interesting was I had this little post put together for that thread and I got an error message that essentially said "link does not exist" when I tried to post it. I'm glad you mods spoke out about it early because that would've probably had me puzzling/searching for the thread for quite a while!

Gonzo432
09-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Just curious. Do the moderators have rank, like "Moderator Basic," "Moderator First Class," or "Captain Moderator?" Do you guys have to address the FA by "sir" or "ma'am?" Do you have virtual roll calls?

Captain Moderator, why am I picturing something from AFRTS?

Mjölnir
09-02-2013, 08:25 PM
What was kind of interesting was I had this little post put together for that thread and I got an error message that essentially said "link does not exist" when I tried to post it. I'm glad you mods spoke out about it early because that would've probably had me puzzling/searching for the thread for quite a while!

Nope, mistake on my part. But, I will own it and say it was my unfamiliarity with merging threads and redirects ... Not any attempt to stop the discussion (which I was enjoyed watching from the cheap seats.)

sandsjames
09-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Nope, mistake on my part. But, I will own it and say it was my unfamiliarity with merging threads and redirects ... Not any attempt to stop the discussion (which I was enjoyed watching from the cheap seats.):ban

TJMAC77SP
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Tak is neither Joe Bonham nor John Drake.

Neither Joe Bonham nor John Drake are Tak.

Of those three names, there are but two actual people.

Do the math.

God, I always hated word problems..