PDA

View Full Version : Proxies Banned?

technomage1
08-25-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm now getting a red pop up stating that access through proxy seviers will be blocked for security reasons. Since I'm in the middle of a PCS, I'm guessing this is due to me logging in through lodgings wireless server. Soooo...I guess I won't be able to post again once it kicks me out until I move and get my Internet set up. Kind of stinks for those of us on the move...

efmbman
08-25-2013, 05:21 PM
I am getting the pop-up as well. Does this mean I cannot access the forum if I am using a wireless router in my home? If so, I have a feeling MTF will lose a lot of people. I am hoping a MOD can confirm what is happening.

Vrake
08-25-2013, 05:23 PM
I am thinking proxy websites. Like when back in the day you could get on one and still surf anything you wanted on a government computer. Even with wireless stuff our IP's stay the same.

efmbman
08-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I hope you're right, Vrake. Perhaps the pop-up should be re-worded:

"YOU are using a proxy. You have 24 hours to cease using a proxy or access to MTF will be denied."

If this was displayed only to the offending parties, I would have no concerns.

Bourne
08-25-2013, 05:26 PM
The hacker group Anonymous has released a statement listing MilitaryTimes, among others, as targets for attack.
We are taking precautionary measures to ensure our sites and forums are insulated from any hacking activity.

For those of you on proxies, we can see the difference between a LAN and a nefarious proxy.

technomage1
08-25-2013, 05:31 PM
The hacker group Anonymous has released a statement listing MilitaryTimes, among others, as targets for attack.
We are taking precautionary measures to ensure our sites and forums are insulated from any hacking activity.

For those of you on proxies, we can see the difference between a LAN and a nefarious proxy.

What the heck is Anonymous attacking MTF for? The Manning thing? Like we have anything to do with that....

CJSmith
08-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Good luck trying to beat those guys. And quite a few of us overseas use IP hiders. Hope this isn't a permanent thing.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Ok, I am using my iPad on my couch with access to my COX account via my wireless router. I have no idea why I am getting this proxy message and I am clueless how to fix it.

RobotChicken
08-25-2013, 06:02 PM
:spy "Hmmmmmm!"

efmbman
08-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Ok, I am using my iPad on my couch with access to my COX account via my wireless router. I have no idea why I am getting this proxy message and I am clueless how to fix it.

Yeah, that was the basis of my post as well. Is the message displayed to all users or only those users that will be blocked?

imnohero
08-25-2013, 06:31 PM
I can see it, too. I'm guessing everyone see it.

wildman
08-25-2013, 06:45 PM
The following is displaying on my machine.

"For security reasons, access to MTF through proxies will be blocked. Please disable this or change browsers."

Not doing either one so bye bye MTF.

Always,
Wildman

RS6405
08-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Does that mean everyone will be banned?

garhkal
08-25-2013, 07:25 PM

For those of us not nethack capable, how do we determine though if our web brouser etc use proxies>

bombsquadron6
08-25-2013, 07:29 PM
I was about to ask about this same message because I also have it and have no idea what I should do. The MTF comes through just fine except for the annoying box in the bottom corner. I would disable the proxy if I knew how or even knew what the hell a proxy is.

RS6405
08-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Well smartphones sans wifi gets the red box as well

imnohero
08-25-2013, 07:39 PM

I doubt it, that wouldn't make any sense.

I would disable the proxy if I knew how or even knew what the hell a proxy is.

I know you didn't mean this to be funny, but it is a little bit.

Honestly, I don't think this is something normal users have to worry about. Bourne said above that the software can tell the difference between a LAN (like wireless internet in your home) and a 'nefarious proxy'...which I'm not sure what that would be exactly, but I'm guessing its the sort of thing that someone hacking the website uses.

Basically, if your not hacking the forum, probably safe to ignore the little box thingy.

bombsquadron6
08-25-2013, 07:43 PM
I know you didn't mean this to be funny, but it is a little bit.

Honestly, I don't think this is something normal users have to worry about. Bourne said above that the software can tell the difference between a LAN (like wireless internet in your home) and a 'nefarious proxy'...which I'm not sure what that would be exactly, but I'm guessing its the sort of thing that someone hacking the website uses.

Basically, if your not hacking the forum, probably safe to ignore the little box thingy.
Actually, I kind of did mean for it to be funny. When you start throwing those techie words at me I go into "DUH" mode.

CJSmith
08-25-2013, 07:58 PM
By nefarious, he meant a suspect IP address such as a Netherlands or other country that is known to use proxy IP addresses to hide the users location. Many hackers use these types of measures to hide their locations.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-25-2013, 08:13 PM
He is talking about in-browser proxies that direct your on-line browsing through an intermediary server (proxy). Chances are if you don't understand what this is, you aren't doing it.

Here is an excerpt from a techie site that explains it a little better:

There are several reasons why you want to browse the internet anonymously. The most common reason is that when you're browsing the net, you'll leave a calling card on every website where you're from, what webbrowser you're using, what computer you use and more details. For some people this is reason enough to browse the internet hidden under a proxy. These servers will hide your details so that you'll be sure nobody will find out who you are. Additionally, these sites can be used to unblock sites such as MySpace, YouTube and other sites that are blocked on your work / school.

When you use a proxy, the request of the website will not be send to the website directly, but to the proxy. This request is the one with your personal information. The proxy sends your request to the website you want to view, but now uses the information of that proxy server. This simply means that you'll not be directly connected to the website, but the proxy site is. This extra step will make the browsing go slower, but that's all it takes to browse anonymously.

bombsquadron6
08-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the explanations! First, I had no idea that the Netherlands was a hotbed of proxy(ism) that hackers use to be anonymous. I thought the Nigerians, Russians and Chinese had this angle all sewn up! Second, at this point in life I am on tech/gadget overload and only learn what I need to and ignore all the rest. I can't even figure out Twitter, not that I want to. Finally, I WANT A PROXY! Then no one can see what stuff I look at on the internet, like animal rescue sites, mail order clothing companies, fabric stores, Americana music sites and, oh, never mind...Even I think I'm boring!

RobotChicken
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM

"For security reasons, access to MTF through proxies will be blocked. Please disable this or change browsers."

Always,
Wildman

:spy I'm with YOU. RRC out!

TSgt"M"
08-25-2013, 11:59 PM
I have the message too, and I'm on a modem. I know, Michigan can be backwards.

efmbman
08-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Always,
Wildman

Why? What's the big deal?

Vrake
08-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Isn't Pirate Bay in Sweden? They are way more relaxed on proxies and torrents then here. (Not that I would know)

I am thinking if there is a DNS attack, as long as your IP does not fall in the range of someone trying one it will be business as norm. Maybe slow the site some but it's not as if we are streaming video here or anything.

Bourne
08-26-2013, 12:33 AM
I didn't mean to scare everybody or induce mass panic: If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Many of you actually already are on proxies, but we can tell how you are using them. Most are in-home wifi, routers, and such.
We have some members using mobile and tablet devices, both 3G/4G and WiFi. Some members are deployed and using proxies.

And BombSquadron - We can still see you. Get off that website, it'll make you go blind. JK. :spy

As for Wildman and RC... ???

Absinthe Anecdote
08-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Why? What's the big deal?

Shhh!

I'd rather have them thinking that they are about to be rounded up and put into FEMA concentration camps.

Gonzo432
08-26-2013, 01:22 AM
I didn't mean to scare everybody or induce mass panic: If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Many of you actually already are on proxies, but we can tell how you are using them. Most are in-home wifi, routers, and such.
We have some members using mobile and tablet devices, both 3G/4G and WiFi. Some members are deployed and using proxies.

And BombSquadron - We can still see you. Get off that website, it'll make you go blind. JK. :spy

As for Wildman and RC... ???

PANIC!!!!!!

RobotChicken
08-26-2013, 02:26 AM

:laughing:

wildman
08-26-2013, 03:56 AM
I try and take security matters seriously. I use a desk top computer and use high speed internet through an ISP. I use Firefox as my WEB browser and have no desire to change from it to any other one.

Always,
Wildman

RS6405
08-26-2013, 09:52 AM
No red box today...... Either it was a false alarm.... We all have died (and I don't have to start my hell week in court)... Or Borne just recalled how we love to blow things way out of proportion and just removed the red box.

:noidea

:becky

efmbman
08-26-2013, 12:09 PM
I try and take security matters seriously. I use a desk top computer and use high speed internet through an ISP. I use Firefox as my WEB browser and have no desire to change from it to any other one.

Always,
Wildman

Same here: I use Firefox as well. Is using Firefox the same as using a proxy?

technomage1
08-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Same here: I use Firefox as well. Is using Firefox the same as using a proxy?

No. Firefox is a browser, the same as Internet Explorer or Chrome. A proxy is a computer system or application that acts as an intermediary between a client computer and a server. It can be used to screen or speed up requests, as well as hide a client ISP.

efmbman
08-26-2013, 04:12 PM
No. Firefox is a browser, the same as Internet Explorer or Chrome. A proxy is a computer system or application that acts as an intermediary between a client computer and a server. It can be used to screen or speed up requests, as well as hide a client ISP.

That's what I thought.

bombsquadron6
08-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Whoa..The red box is gone. Just when I was getting all worked up into a lather about proxies and hackers and government spying. Rats!

Bourne
08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I didn't take it down. Maybe someone hacked it.

JKJK

technomage1
08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
I didn't take it down. Maybe someone hacked it.

JKJK

Is that a black helicopter hovering outside my window?!?! :tinfoil3

bombsquadron6
08-26-2013, 06:12 PM
I've got MY tin foil hat on!

technomage1
08-26-2013, 06:16 PM
On a serious note, Anonymous scares the daylights out of me. On the one hand, they certainly do give it to some groups that deserve it, like the Westboro Baptist Church. On the other, they disrupt the lives of millions of people just to prove a point, like when they disrupted the banking system. These are people who, could no kidding wipe all of our bank accounts clean and probably get away with it.

bombsquadron6
08-26-2013, 06:22 PM
On a serious note, Anonymous scares the daylights out of me. On the one hand, they certainly do give it to some groups that deserve it, like the Westboro Baptist Church. On the other, they disrupt the lives of millions of people just to prove a point, like when they disrupted the banking system. These are people who, could no kidding wipe all of our bank accounts clean and probably get away with it.It is unnerving to think they do what they do because they can. Anonymous may claim to have political convictions but sabotage is their real agenda. Last week the NASDAQ shut down for three hours and the public still has not been told why. Most financial people probably suspect a hacking attack of some sort but the public may never really know what happened. Anonymous? Terrorists? Thieves/Hackers? Who knows, but it underscores how precarious computer networks can be.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
On a serious note, Anonymous scares the daylights out of me. On the one hand, they certainly do give it to some groups that deserve it, like the Westboro Baptist Church. On the other, they disrupt the lives of millions of people just to prove a point, like when they disrupted the banking system. These are people who, could no kidding wipe all of our bank accounts clean and probably get away with it.

I think they are less of a threat than they are often made out to be and most of the time their so called “hacks” and dumps of stolen data are publicly available and/or outdated information. The large majority of their Distributed Denial of Service tactics are easily mitigated.

Network administrators that practice unbelievable stupid security practices are they greatest enabler to groups like Anonymous.

About three years ago the core membership of Anonymous contained some impressive programing knowledge and hacking capability but the people that possessed it have already been rounded up.

On-the-other-hand, you never know when a talented computer genius will become disgruntled and join their ranks.

fastaviationdata
09-12-2013, 02:09 AM
What about the IP's on Hidemyass website did you try them? Most of their proxies are good and fast. But if you have a budget you can buy private proxy.