PDA

View Full Version : Image, fitness and EPRs

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Got this in my email today. Apparently this was sent base-wide from a command chief at a base overseas. Good stuff.

CARNIVORE
LEADERSHIP
PROFESSIONAL
DEVELOPMENT
Silver Bullets for Effective Leadership
Volume 5: Through the Weapon’s Scope: "Scoping Out Image and Fitness"

5 Aug 2013

OVERVIEW
When writing EPRs, the one standard that is often overlooked is military image, under
the assumption that a ‘pass’ on the Air Force PT test is sufficient to earn a ‘Clearly
Exceeds’ marking under section titled “Standards: … Consider Dress and Appearance.”
Such assumption is negligent and must be addressed and corrected. Think back to
when you arrived at Basic Military Training and met your Military Training Instructor
(MTI) for the very first time. Their uniform was sharp, pressed and crisp. Their haircut
and grooming were impeccable. Their military bearing was flawless. They were lean
and fit role models. The Air Force saw it important enough to put the best in front of
new recruits in order to make a good and lasting impression. They did not choose
sloppy, unshaven, obese, or lackadaisical personnel for a reason: It is unacceptable
and it clearly goes against our core values.

That was then, but what about now? Do you have the same positive image when you
look at your supervisor, peers or subordinates? Are they modeled after our strict
standards? When you look in the mirror, do you see a professional military man or
woman? These questions should all be answered with a loud and thunderous “Yes!”
The reality is that, for some Airmen, this would not be the case. We need to take control
of the situation by enforcing the rules. If we do not, we will continue to waste funds
training personnel who get separated because of a lack of discipline.

It is time to draw our weapons in tight to our shoulders, place our eagle eye next to the
scope aperture, gaze through the lens, and fix our sights upon the target. Are we the
‘ready warriors’ the Air Force expects us to be? Are we the capable force according to
Air Force standards, and not to our personal arbitrary rules? Have we come to accept
out-of-shape military members while others pick up their slack? Many personnel have a
fogged lens and we must help them see the problem they are failing to engage.
Let's truly scope the issue: Our image and fitness.

SCOPING OUT OUR IMAGE AND FITNESS
THE FOLLOWING MATERIAL, EXTRACTED FROM AFI 1-1, CH. 3, STATES THE
IMPORTANCE OF IMAGE AND FITNESS:
3.1. Overview. First impressions are often drawn based upon appearance. ...
Projecting a good military image reflects not only on you personally, but also on the Air
Force. Appearance matters both on and off-duty and involves more than just the
clothes you wear. Projecting a professional image is paramount.
3.2. Dress and Personal Appearance. Pride in one’s personal appearance ... [is]
essential to an effective military force. All Air Force members must maintain a high
standard of dress and personal appearance ... neatness, cleanliness, safety, uniformity,
and military image. ... it is critical because other people, both military and civilian, draw
certain conclusions about individual Airmen and the Air Force based on what they see.
3.5. Physical Fitness. Air Force members must be physically fit to support the Air Force
mission. ... by maintaining a lean and fit appearance, Air Force members project the
proper military image. ... The fitness assessment [is the] tool [for commanders] in
determining ... fitness. ... each Air Force member is ... responsible for keeping himself
or herself in good physical condition.

SCOPING THE TARGET WITHOUT DUST COVERS OR FOG
When we purge AFI 1-1 of fluff (like we did in the above paragraphs) and extract the key
points and intent of the letter, it reads like an operational checklist: "must" means must,
not "may" or "can" or "It's up to you." It means that the subject is a matter of policy, that
it is 'carved in stone' and not up for debate or discussion. What is 'lean and fit'? For
starters, it could be a way of living by developing a habit to exercise daily or change
your diet. ‘Lean and fit’ requires change, a self-initiated change.

How many times do we see personnel taking elevators or escalators instead of the
stairs? Why do we carry size 46 trousers and size 50 blouses outside of maternity
clothes in our clothing sales when the max acceptable waist circumference is 39.5
inches? How many personnel do we see circling the parking lot at the BX or
Commissary looking for the parking spot closest to the door when there are many
available just 25 meters away? How many times do we see personnel outside of the
“mandatory PT sessions” taking care of themselves by being active? How about the
amount of Airmen that can’t run 1.5 miles without nearly having a seizure?
The truth of the matter is that we are not doing enough to get these standard violators
on track by continuing to ignore them and letting them reap the same rewards as our
best Airmen. The shame of it all is that very few have valid medical issues, most are
just allies of laziness. Enough is enough. They are your target, they are in your crosshairs, and you need to engage by taking action.

WHO OWNS THE SIGHT PICTURE?
All of us. Commanders do by incorporating a good, strong fitness program into their
organizations and ensuring accountability at all levels. Supervisors do by ensuring the
commander's programs--to include the EPR--are maintained and their Airmen remain fit,
healthy, and in good readiness to execute the mission. As individual Airmen, we have a
duty and responsibility to be ready at all times to perform our assigned mission--which is
anything the Air Force asks us to do--and to be a positive representative of our service.
Peer pressure to be the absolute best must be present at all levels, but most importantly
in the duty section. We have to pull our own weight; when you have too much of it or
lack the strength to hold your own, that task becomes harder and someone else would
have to pull your slack. If that sight picture we see in the mirror, in the duty center, or in
our community is not in accordance with the intent of what we know to be the Air Force
standard, then we are failing. Lack of action implies acceptance of lack of standards.
Lack of standards hinders our credibility. Lack of credibility hinders trust. All because of
failing to correct a simple issue.

HERE’S SOME ADVICE FROM YOUR COMMAND CHIEF:
For every Airman:
Take care of yourself both physically and mentally; be the example and the professional
you are expected to be. Do not seek medical waivers in order to dodge the fitness
assessment. These so-called "timely convenient" waivers are a dangerous habit that
will only make matters worse and affect your progress in attaining a proper image and
fitness level. Always seek improvement and show progression on your PT scores; do
not be stagnant. When donning the Air Force uniform, take pride instead of taking
shortcuts. Proper wear of the uniform--to include the PTU--is an indicator of your loyalty
and commitment to service. Do not accept ratings and rewards you have not earned. If
your supervisor lacks the guts to identify that you are falling short of the mark, ask them
why they are not holding you accountable. Be open to constructive criticism, own your
failures and learn from them. Also, share your successes with others in similar
situations in order to prevent failure. Develop two-way communications with your
supervisor and ask for frequent feedback. Lastly, correct up and down the chain when
the standards are violated--rank does not exempt anyone from being corrected.

For supervisors:
If your personnel do not measure up, hold them accountable. Failure to enforce any
standard reflects poorly on your leadership and accountability--your EPR has a block on
how well you enforce standards, it is your duty. Do not compromise for obesity by
saying, “they are just thick,” or “big-boned,” or “large and in charge.” The same goes for
those who meet body composition but fail to wear the uniform properly or are weak and
lazy due to lack of motivation. Instead of justifying their shortcomings, have the moral
courage to look them in the eye, address the issue, and correct the problem. An Airman
can be a great technician, but that does not earn them a pass to be exempt from all the
other Air Force requirements. An Airman can be great at PT and look great in uniform,
but that would not earn them a pass to not perform their assigned mission. In life,
nothing of worth comes easy; it requires hard work from individuals and help and
guidance from those who lead them. Be good to them, tell them the truth, and help
them overcome their weaknesses while sharpening their strengths.

For senior leaders:
Be a filter for excellence, pushing up only the most deserving for rewards to include
decorations, endorsements, and stellar reports. Properly advise your commander and
maintain the integrity of the system by verifying the data. Hold personnel accountable
at all levels, including those in your staff. Not doing so indicates a tolerance for
substandard behavior and individuals that could--and most likely--diminish the credibility
of your organization. The tone gets set at the top and, in the end, you deserve what you
tolerate. Also, get in the habit of 'rating the rater' on their ability to enforce the
standards, they have the first-hand look and have a responsibility to do so. This is
about more than just a PT test: It is about the readiness, image, and health of our force.
Let your expectations be known, all while leading from the front and setting the pace.

Bottom line, clear the fogged lens: Let’s not turn the blind eye to the issue of
disregarding a proper military image and fitness. Some people need a wake up
call, and I know of no better alarm clock than the honest truth. Whether it comes
from others or from within, the desired result is clear: Excellence in All We Do.
Our mission is to “Fly, Fight, and Win”, not to “Sit, Get Beat, and Lose.” When
mediocrity gets in your cross-hairs, eliminate it at first sight. Care for what you
own: the mission and the people.

akruse
08-23-2013, 06:48 AM
HOLY SHIT

CJSmith
08-23-2013, 06:50 AM
TL;DR version: Crease your uniform and look like a marathoner.

BOSS302
08-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Style over substance. Got it. Disregarding and moving on.

loggie94
08-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Sorry, What's this "Overview" thing about? Surely this chief has seen Blutarsky's writing (mis)guide and should know better -- it's a BLUF, dammit!!! And only one bottom line??? Disgraceful. Heck, he wrote enough for at least a bottom line, rock-bottom line, and a final bottom-rock-bottom line.

And when did everyone get a scope? What happened to good old iron sights? And if we're giving everyone scopes to be this precise and perfect, why not red-dot shooting lazer scopes?

voyager56
08-23-2013, 09:40 AM
This looks like it might have come out of the Pacific. Kadena, perhaps? If so, that Command Chief is anything but style over substance.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 09:55 AM
This looks like it might have come out of the Pacific. Kadena, perhaps? If so, that Command Chief is anything but style over substance.

Appears to be Kadena. Maybe someone from Kadena can verify for us. Anyway, regardless of where it originated, I think the message is appropriate. Yes, hard for most to swallow, but it speaks lots of truths.

Also, I think this is just part of the messages being sent to the base...there might be more vectoring that I am unaware of from this Chief.

voyager56
08-23-2013, 10:43 AM
A few of his messages have hit a bit close to home for me and I had to reevaluate how I do some things. If you're able to take an objective and critical look at yourself and your leadership style, they're good messages. I need to touch base with him again and see if he's got anything new.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-23-2013, 11:03 AM
I liked it! Much of what he said mirrors my little rant from yesterday.

Especially this part:

Do not compromise for obesity by saying, “they are just thick,” or “big-boned,” or “large and in charge.”

I think the Chief makes some valid points and this is very different than the Blutaurski email.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-23-2013, 11:05 AM
TL;DR version: Crease your uniform and look like a marathoner.

What is wrong with that?

CJSmith
08-23-2013, 11:34 AM
What is wrong with that?

Didn't say there was anything wrong, just summarized a book into one sentence.

imnohero
08-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Ah, the old "if you LOOK right, you must BE right" attitude. While he makes some good points, he ruins them by conflating appearance standards and moral judgements.

pjluckyman
08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
100 POINTS FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER. If the rest of the CCM's are doing the same thing, you will see a smaller amount of SRE across the CAF. All interactions with this man have been a good experience and so far I think he should have been the CMSAF. I think his next stop is a MAJCOM probably SOCOM then maybe CMSAF. He was to young (TAFMS) to be the CMSAF this time around.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
The Chief made some great points, so my only criticism is this:

1. I predict only about 10% of the email recipients read past the first paragraph before deleting the message. WAY too long! Keep your emails brief!

2. Regarding his statement, "Do not accept ratings and rewards you have not earned," yeah riiiight. I get the message on integrity, but the fact is, EPR ratings equate to promotions. That's more money in the bank...possibly for the rest of your life. These days, that rating can even mean the difference between being "rolled back," or a victim of any other Force Shaping initiative. Bottom line, give me a 5 when I deserve a 4 and I'm keeping my mouth shut. Sorry, just has to be that way!

imported_DannyJ
08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Diatribe much? Holy hell. Messages at this level shouldn't be via email. I get it when the CSAF or CMSAF do it, but this guy is base level. Have a f*cking enlisted call and say it in person. Stop jamming up my email with your book length lecture.

The Cooler
08-23-2013, 01:25 PM
way too long for an email.. but he probably intended to get his message out to a wider audience and knows he has the credibility that people who know who he is will read it. fitness and image is one of those things though that for his vision to become tangible more people in positions like he is will have to lead from the front. when Airmen see tech's and master's popping buttons and always skating out of PT, the "we've got more important things to do" line just doesn't cut it. almost every issue in standards and discipline comes from the top down IMO. i fully understand the type of people he's looking for but i don't know if you can mass produce that type of intrinsic motivation. the culture of the AF as of late from my perspective is one of survival as opposed to willfully buying into the organization. i say that because all i seem to hear about lately is "red lines" "zero tolerance" and "1st and last mistakes". for people on a large scale to really start trying to mold themselves into part of something better than themselves we've really got to start being more positive. budget cuts, crisis's, and force shaping really dent morale.

AFcynic
08-23-2013, 01:27 PM
The word "image" is used 12 times. The word "fitness" is used 10 times. The word "mission" is used 6 times.

It appears as if we have another E-9 gunning for CMSAF. Nothing wrong with a career goal, but if you honestly have to send out an email like this, then you're fishing for attention. It's the Air Force enlisted equivalent to a teenager cutting themselves. This person is promoting themselves, their agenda, and their hyped up reputation. Real talk - if this person achieved CMSAF, he/she would be just another parrot to chirp the bosses views. Impact would be minimal at best, and this person would have betrayed the position of CMSAF with their dedication to themselves, and not to the enlisted corps. A previous post said it best, "Style over substance. Got it."

Kind of like that Littlefinger character in "Game of Thrones". He'd burn down the kingdom if he could be the king of the ashes...

20+Years
08-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Didn't we learn somewhere along the line to keep our messages brief? I'd swear we were trained on that. Maybe his next thesis should be upon effective communication... irony. Anyways, all I got from that was "look sharp, hold yourself and others accountable". Good summary there Chief?

I think I know who mentored this guy. On the bright side, we may finally have a topic to match the legendary Blutarsky thread.

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Holy Shit Batman that was TOO LONG!!! The only people who probably bothered reading past the first half were the people who were nodding their heads in agreement the whole way through. Those who really needed to be receiving the message probably didn't get past when he started citing AFIs.

Brought back some PTSD from when I'd receive emails from our favorite Rock-Bottom Chief (I was deployed supoprting SOF, but was under ADCON of the wing he was at).

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/kellyivory/jj.jpg

DWWSWWD
08-23-2013, 02:31 PM
For what it's worth, I worked in the same unit as this guy for 9 years. We were SSgts together and made every rank together after that. He's been sending me these for a while and I figured they'd end up here eventually...... but not from someone that knows him personally. If you know him, you get it. He's solid.

SeeBee
08-23-2013, 02:42 PM
It's the Air Force enlisted equivalent to a teenager cutting themselves. <--Best line of the day!

That said, I see the point the Chief is making. With all the pending budget cuts, RIFs, roll-backs (call these what you will), his advice is good/timely. But I see a problem with the execution: everyone is not singing from the same hymnal as the Chief. In fact, from what I hear, supervisors face uphill battles with leadership for reports other than 5. The Chiefs email should have been directed up the chain, not down.

SomeRandomGuy
08-23-2013, 02:46 PM
way too long for an email.. but he probably intended to get his message out to a wider audience and knows he has the credibility that people who know who he is will read it. fitness and image is one of those things though that for his vision to become tangible more people in positions like he is will have to lead from the front. when Airmen see tech's and master's popping buttons and always skating out of PT, the "we've got more important things to do" line just doesn't cut it. almost every issue in standards and discipline comes from the top down IMO. i fully understand the type of people he's looking for but i don't know if you can mass produce that type of intrinsic motivation. the culture of the AF as of late from my perspective is one of survival as opposed to willfully buying into the organization. i say that because all i seem to hear about lately is "red lines" "zero tolerance" and "1st and last mistakes". for people on a large scale to really start trying to mold themselves into part of something better than themselves we've really got to start being more positive. budget cuts, crisis's, and force shaping really dent morale.

The part I bolded is very true. When I arrived at my first base in 2006 we were in the middle of the "PT is important" push. It was to the point that we had "mandatory" unit PT but the only people that showed up were E5 and below. The message I got out of it was that PT is mandatory for you guys but I am too busy. It definitly sent the wrong message. Ironically, many of those NCOs and SNCOs who were skipping out are the people now who are fighting for their careers at 15-18 years who are saying the PT program is not fair. Newsflash guys if you want to hold your Airmen to a standard you also have to meet it yourself. I understand the point of the original email in this post but it is something we all already know. In my opinion there was no need to send out an email like this. If you do not already know the things mentioned you just don't get it and you never will.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 02:53 PM
For what it's worth, I worked in the same unit as this guy for 9 years. We were SSgts together and made every rank together after that. He's been sending me these for a while and I figured they'd end up here eventually...... but not from someone that knows him personally. If you know him, you get it. He's solid.

I agree. He's on target with this one. We need more leaders like him promoting this because it is the right thing to do.

fufu
08-23-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm so ready for retirement....

So, pass with a 90 but look "fat" in uniform = mark down
Pass with an 83, but look "skinny" in uniform = gtg, promote now! He's amazing!

This reminds me of the Cheif at Barksdale a few years ago that said, "If the Airman looks alittle big, I need to see him/her run" - Something to that effect.

I taped in at 37" this year and run high 10s/low 11s in the test.

Now we must all be poster perfect Airman? Nice. No, 32" waist? markdown. What if PTGOD was my rater, I'd be screwed.

This CCM sounds like a tool.

wxjumper
08-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Not one word about the importance of mission performance in that whole diatribe, unless you count those times that he said you need to look like a Kenyan marathoner in order to do good at your job.

imnohero
08-23-2013, 03:05 PM
look "fat" in uniform = mark down
look "skinny" in uniform = gtg, promote now! He's amazing!

This.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 03:17 PM
This is just one of many messages he has been sending to people all over the base. I am trying to find out if I can get my hands on others from the source that sent me this one. Apparently this is #5 in a series titled:

CARNIVORE
LEADERSHIP
PROFESSIONAL
DEVELOPMENT

Bunch
08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Another attention seeking E- 9. I don't see a difference between this and Blutarsky... I'm pretty sure if you dig deep into this guy you will find a nonsensical email about the Air Force Creed being the backbone of the Air Force mission.

The points he makes are nothing but the wash, rinse, repeat kool aid that big blue has been offering for years now, if anything he is late to the kool aid party.

wxjumper
08-23-2013, 03:26 PM
This is just one of many messages he has been sending to people all over the base. I am trying to find out if I can get my hands on others from the source that sent me this one. Apparently this is #5 in a series titled:

CARNIVORE
LEADERSHIP
PROFESSIONAL
DEVELOPMENT

Wake me up when he gets to job performance.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 03:28 PM
It's the Air Force enlisted equivalent to a teenager cutting themselves. <--Best line of the day!

That said, I see the point the Chief is making. With all the pending budget cuts, RIFs, roll-backs (call these what you will), his advice is good/timely. But I see a problem with the execution: everyone is not singing from the same hymnal as the Chief. In fact, from what I hear, supervisors face uphill battles with leadership for reports other than 5. The Chiefs email should have been directed up the chain, not down.

You are correct. Maybe this will get to the top somehow. It would be better if CMSAF and CSAF sent this to all of us and made this the AF standard so all bases are on the same page.

imported_DannyJ
08-23-2013, 03:32 PM

CARNIVORE
LEADERSHIP
PROFESSIONAL
DEVELOPMENT

I'm still trying to work out if you're a troll or not...

fufu
08-23-2013, 03:33 PM
The problem with professional military image, its completely subjective.

I think we all know it when we see it, but defining it is difficult. Ask 17 different people, you'll get 17 different answers.

Interceptor
08-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Wake me up when he gets to job performance.

Or really taking care of airmen...

sandsjames
08-23-2013, 03:38 PM
So a pass on the PT test isn't good enough, EVEN THOUGH there is only a pass/fail/exempt spot on the EPR AND the score cannot be placed on the EPR? Seems kind of contradictory to me. Thank God I'm retired!!!!!!

Interceptor
08-23-2013, 03:38 PM
The problem with professional military image, its completely subjective.

I think we all know it when we see it, but defining it is difficult. Ask 17 different people, you'll get 17 different answers.

So subjective that back in the day we had fat NCO's and officers and we still manage to win wars!!! Now we are thin and skinny but cant put a plane in the air or keep our nukes in storage.

Forget image and concentrate on whats important!!

imported_DannyJ
08-23-2013, 03:41 PM

That's the problem, we don't know him. Email really isn't the correct medium for this type of thing. You don't get what you do in person; intonation, facial expression, etc. When I get this kind of thing in my email box, it usually results in a shrug and a delete. In person I, among many, will actually listen and take it to heart. Email should be reserved for informational topics (new AFI, changes to policy, etc).

Absinthe Anecdote
08-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Those claiming the Chief is advocating that you have to look like marathon runners are blowing this way out of proportion.

If you need to get your house in order, get it in order.

The concept is simple, diet and exercise, but it takes hard work.

Most Americans eat way too many calories every day. You can easily waste your time at the gym by eating too much.

Educate yourself on nutrition and you won't be reacting to the Chief's message this way.

sandsjames
08-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Of course he's solid. If he's still that way after 4 hours, he should call a doctor.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 03:50 PM

LOL...good luck with that. Let me know what you find out.

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 05:52 PM

CARNIVORE
LEADERSHIP
PROFESSIONAL
DEVELOPMENT

When SAM first joined I totally thought he was an alt/troll (he came about shortly after PT GOD). Over time, I've changed my mind and I don't think he is a troll, just a PME brainwashed Airmen or some type of Air Force Captain America experiment where they injected blue kool aid directly into his carotid artery. Not that I think all his points are bad, but he comes across as the type of guy who would pull over someone for going 1 mph over and write them a $250 ticket if he was a cop and would state, "The law is the law sir."

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Not saying it was a bad mesage, just terrible delivery/execution.

Pullinteeth
08-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Not saying it was a bad mesage, just terrible delivery/execution.

As someone that has recieved the Balutski emails, I can tell you that while this one is a bit wordy, when I get an email like this, I take into consideration who sent it. If it comes from MY leadership, I would probably read it. If it came from like AF leadership or someone I hadn't ever heard of...I would probably skim and delete.

BigBaze
08-23-2013, 08:22 PM
The reason I have no use for Command Chiefs for the most part, except for the new one we have at McGuire, he is a former flight engineer coming from the AFSOC community, and is very easy to approach and talk to, he is always coming through to see how things are.

Drackore
08-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Like someone said...too many mentions of the word fitness and image, not enough of image, probably none on performance. It was too long, I didn't read, nor do I care too. If he's so "solid" - why is he wasting time on stuff like this when the PT Test *IS* a Pass/Fail system? 75? Pass. Done. Why do we have E9s making the system harder? If they guy is pudgy but runs and exceeds the time, exceeds the pushup and situps and passes that tape measure...that same system all these (cough) "leaders" defend up and down the cherry tree as being a legit system...then come out with "Well they might have passed...but they need to be marked down in standards cuz they don't look professional in their uniform because they aren't as anorexic as I am".

Hogwash.

I thought of Blutarski when I read this.

I don't know they guy and I am not going to call him a fucking tool like I do Blutarski...but this message just reeks of "E9" to me.

I have half a unit deployed. I have another 25% getting ready to roll for an exercise at the same time as our base gets slammed with a major inspection that we aren't exempted from. I am wearing three hats. Busted back, MEB, still doing PT...I tell people I can keep my waist down and do my job and maintain the standards - they can too. I feedback, mentor, and counsel them. And then guess what - that is how I rate them. I don't need yet another blowhard telling me he's "adding another interpretation of the standard" to the stack.

Get it in an AFI and get it detailed. Otherwise you are wasting my mother loving time.

And one thing in my unit that I am very lucky about - writing a four is freaking easy. No PIF or paperwork involved.

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 08:58 PM
He may very well be a "solid guy" and all that...I just don't know, is fitness and appearance really the #1 problem the AF has??

Yet, nearly every one of these articles, emails, NOTAMS, 5MTs that you see from senior enlisted leaders covers this same frickin topic, over and over and over....okay, everybody knows about fitness, yeah, some don't care that much or don't do it...not sure an 8 paragraph email is going to change anyone's lifestyle. MOVE ON.

Something really refreshing would be enlisted people caring about OJT, the value of staying in your AFSC, being competent, how as a TSgt you should be THE technical answer man in your shop/office...stuff like that. Everyone wants to always talk about the fitness this and that...it's old, tired, is not in any way shape or form bold leadership.

Yeah..."Super Troop" got a 100 on his PT Test but can't even identify the types of aircraft on the ramp. I'm not saying I want the finance troop to know the difference beetween the F-35 A, B, & C varients just by looking at them, or even a C-5 versus C-17, but Jesus Christ we're the ef'ing Air Force and there are TONS of folks who couldn't tell the difference between a C-130 and an F-16. My 8 year-old knows the difference! She actually kind of embarrased a couple of Airmen at my last base recently when our Wingman Day activities included families and we were out on a tour of the flightline on a bus and all the little kids yelled out "Airplane!" and my daughter (7 at the time) said, "That's an F-35, right Dad?" and a couple of the Airmen were shocked and admitted they didn't even know that's what it was....Again....we had the AF's "premire" fighter at our base and they were totally unaware. While you might not be turning the wrench or flying that plane, know the big picture of what you're supporting and how you fit into that. I dunno...maybe their supervisors are partly to blame on that one.

imported_KnuckleDragger
08-23-2013, 10:01 PM
How many firewall 5s has this Chief allowed to pass under him?

BOSS302
08-23-2013, 10:04 PM
How many firewall 5s has this Chief allowed to pass under him?

More importantly, how many firewall 5 EPRs did this Chief benefit from throughout his career? I find it hilarious that these E-9s preach about changing "the system" when it is the same system they benefited from.

Mr. Happy
08-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Holy hell. I thought about how they say not to lead from behind a key board when I saw that.

TomTom093
08-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Honestly, for something like this I think an email is better than an Airman's call. We don't need to pull people from their shops just so he can stand on a stage and feel special.

Capt Alfredo
08-24-2013, 01:50 AM
First, what a douche.

Second, how can he send this message with a straight face when not even the CSAF presents a "lean and fit" appearance and even makes jokes about it in public?

It's people like this who make me happy to be an O so I can just ignore overzealous tools.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-24-2013, 05:06 AM
First, what a douche.

Second, how can he send this message with a straight face when not even the CSAF presents a "lean and fit" appearance and even makes jokes about it in public?

It's people like this who make me happy to be an O so I can just ignore overzealous tools.

That's what's nice about rank. The higher you go, the larger number of D-bags you can put on disregard. Now that I'm a civilian, my disregard list is larger than I ever would have imagined. It's truly amazing what having no rank will do for you!

Bunch
08-24-2013, 05:21 AM
What gets to me is the tone.

Its like he has all the answers but has not listen to any questions. Straight up of Blutarsky "I want to look good for me" guide. I'm pretty sure when he sent that email he felt pretty good about himself and I'm also pretty sure that 99.5% of people when they saw the email sender and/or subject automatically hit delete. A lot of gasbagging with zero impact to show for.

Z1911
08-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Son (daughter?) of Blutarsky arises!!!!

UH1FE
08-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Any time I get an email from a E-9 or general officer like this they automatically are placed on my auto delete list. They obviously have nothing important to say so why should I waste my time reading their hot air. If anything really important comes down from them someone who likes reading their email garbage will mention it in conversation.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-24-2013, 08:13 PM
First, what a douche.

Holy Cow!

I wish I had known that there were no overzealous tools in the officer corps! I would have tried for a commission. During my time at the Pentagon I did encounter a few officers that I suspected of being tools but they must have not been of the overzealous variety, huh?

sharkhunter
08-24-2013, 10:29 PM
"If your supervisor lacks the guts to identify that you are falling short of the mark, ask them
why they are not holding you accountable."

While these are great words, it's just that...words. Not every supervisor will follow that.
When I asked my supervisor why no he or anyone else tell me I was not meeting standards, his response was "why do I have to tell you? why should anyone tell you?"

Capt Alfredo
08-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Holy Cow!

I wish I had known that there were no overzealous tools in the officer corps! I would have tried for a commission. During my time at the Pentagon I did encounter a few officers that I suspected of being tools but they must have not been of the overzealous variety, huh?

Of course there are overzealous tools in the officer corps. However, as a major, for example, there are very few tools *I* have to listen to on a regular basis. They exist, but compared to when I was a SrA, their number is tiny.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-25-2013, 04:20 AM
Of course there are overzealous tools in the officer corps. However, as a major, for example, there are very few tools *I* have to listen to on a regular basis. They exist, but compared to when I was a SrA, their number is tiny.

Just busting your chops, Major. ;-)

Just wait until you get back out here in the civilian world, tools galore!

SgtS
08-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Dear Chief XXX

Brevity is your friend. Go look it up, you obviously have never encountered this word.

Also, please allow me to introduce my friend George Orwell and his 5 basic rules for grammar. You would do well to pay attention to them (and particular attention to rule 3):

1.Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2.Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3.If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

4.Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5.Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-25-2013, 11:32 AM
That's what's nice about rank. The higher you go, the larger number of D-bags you can put on disregard. Now that I'm a civilian, my disregard list is larger than I ever would have imagined. It's truly amazing what having no rank will do for you!

You think?

It's been my experience that it is more of a sink or swim environment out here in the private sector.

You don't have people sending you emails about the importance of your appearance.

However, if you let yourself get all fat and sloppy you are just not taken seriously and you sure as hell will not have any program dedicated to helping you develop and maintain your fitness and personal appearance.

If you want to be gruff and ignore your peers, company policy or a boss in another section, then I can guarantee that there will be consequences.

People seem much more willing to put a knife in your back or even in your chest if you don't play ball.

You can always go work for the government because if you are a GS worker and make it past your first year probation, then you can get all fat and grumpy. You won't be fired but you will just be ignored and pushed into a do nothing job.

Sad thing is that there are so many GS workers that intentionally seek out a situation like that.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Dear Chief XXX

Brevity is your friend. Go look it up, you obviously have never encountered this word.

Also, please allow me to introduce my friend George Orwell and his 5 basic rules for grammar. You would do well to pay attention to them (and particular attention to rule 3):

1.Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2.Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3.If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

4.Never use the passive where you can use the active.

5.Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

Well, at least we know he figured out how to achieve the rank of CMSgt.

imported_CLSE
09-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Those claiming the Chief is advocating that you have to look like marathon runners are blowing this way out of proportion.

If you need to get your house in order, get it in order.

The concept is simple, diet and exercise, but it takes hard work.

Most Americans eat way too many calories every day. You can easily waste your time at the gym by eating too much.

Educate yourself on nutrition and you won't be reacting to the Chief's message this way.

This Chief may be a good guy and actually focused on the right things, but if he is, he didn't communicate it in this e-mail.

He lost me when he asked why we have size 46 pants and size 50 blouses outside of maternity. I wear size 44 pants and a size 50 blouse and it's not because my waist is 44 inches or even close to it.

Any regular adult publicly demonstrating that they have such a severely limited view of the world should be embarassed...

Somebody in a leadership position demonstrating the same severely limited view of the world should concern anybody who is in their chain of command.

Seems that the Chief forgot that his scope has a very narrow field of view...

A good leader knows that he needs to get his head out of his scope up once in a while and get some SA in regards to the rest of the world or risk getting surprised by something he didn't see coming.

Absinthe Anecdote
09-05-2013, 07:32 PM
This Chief may be a good guy and actually focused on the right things, but if he is, he didn't communicate it in this e-mail.

He lost me when he asked why we have size 46 pants and size 50 blouses outside of maternity. I wear size 44 pants and a size 50 blouse and it's not because my waist is 44 inches or even close to it.

Any regular adult publicly demonstrating that they have such a severely limited view of the world should be embarassed...

Somebody in a leadership position demonstrating the same severely limited view of the world should concern anybody who is in their chain of command.

Seems that the Chief forgot that his scope has a very narrow field of view...

A good leader knows that he needs to get his head out of his scope up once in a while and get some SA in regards to the rest of the world or risk getting surprised by something he didn't see coming.

I don't understand what you are wearing size 44 inch pants if your waist is no where near that size. Can you explain?

wxjumper
09-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I don't understand what you are wearing size 44 inch pants if your waist is no where near that size. Can you explain?Probably has a FUPA

Absinthe Anecdote
09-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Probably has a FUPA

I don't know what that is but it doesn't sound good.

imported_AFKILO7
09-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't know what that is but it doesn't sound good.

Fat
Upper
Putang
Area

oldgrndr@
09-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Just now digging into this thread... wow... just... smh. I encountered Blutarski up close before the infamous SWA events. The guy was amiable and at least made a good show of looking like he really cared. The key word there... WAS. This guy needs decaff stat. And he needs the link to this thread so that he can...
Be open to constructive criticism, own your failures and learn from them.

Looking forward to a blue ID...

Capt Alfredo
09-05-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm really surprised this thread didn't take off more, but I guess in this new world of the forum, less is less.

imported_CLSE
09-06-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't understand what you are wearing size 44 inch pants if your waist is no where near that size. Can you explain?

Kind of what WXJumper said...

Big butt and big thighs - my waist where my belt rides is 36 plus or minus a bit, depending the time of year, I'm 43+ inches around at the hips.

I can't get a size 36 pants on past my knee.

Anything smaller than 44 longs result in moose knuckle and g-string...not nice, for me or the people around me.

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 06:44 PM
The reason I have no use for Command Chiefs for the most part, except for the new one we have at McGuire, he is a former flight engineer coming from the AFSOC community, and is very easy to approach and talk to, he is always coming through to see how things are.

Kinda like with Congressmen huh? They all suck except mine....