PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Manning Wants YOUR TAX DOLLARS to Pay for Hormone Therapy

Class5Kayaker
08-22-2013, 03:17 PM
YHGTBFKM!!!!

(CNN) -- Bradley Manning wants to be a woman.

The U.S. Army soldier sentenced this week to 35 years in prison for leaking 750,000 pages of classified documents to the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks said Thursday in a statement read on NBC's "Today" show that will seek hormone therapy and live as a female named Chelsea.

"As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me," Manning said in the statement. "I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition."

Manning's lawyer, David Coombs, told "Today" that he hopes officials at Fort Leavenworth military prison will provide his client the hormone therapy.

"I'm hoping Fort Leavenworth would do the right thing and provide that," Coombs said. "If Fort Leavenworth does not, then I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that they are forced to do so."

The issue of Manning's gender identity repeatedly surfaced in his court martial on espionage charges. A widely circulated picture released by the military shows Manning in a blonde wig.

Speaking in the sentencing phase of his court martial last week, Manning said that at the time he decided to leak the documents, he was "dealing with a lot of issues" -- a reference to his gender identity crisis.

Manning's lawyer: He should not 'rot in jail'

In an e-mail to his sergeant titled, "My Problem," Manning included the picture of himself in the wig.

"It's not going away, it's haunting me more and more as I get older," Manning wrote in the e-mail. "Now, the consequences of it are dire, at a time when it's causing me great pain in itself. As a result, I'm not sure what to do about it."

An Army psychologist called by the defense said Manning appeared to be isolated and under intense pressure as a male soldier struggling with gender identity issues.

Manning's announcement comes a day after a military judge sentenced him to 35 years in prison for leaking hundreds of thousands of U.S. military and diplomatic documents.

Manning, 25, was convicted in July of stealing the documents and videos and disseminating them to WikiLeaks, the online anti-secrecy group.

The military judge also reduced Manning's rank from private first class to private, ordered him to forfeit pay and benefits and be dishonorably discharged.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/22/us/bradley-manning/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Stalwart
08-22-2013, 03:26 PM
He would not be the first federal prisoner to receive hormone therapy while in jail.

If it cannot be provided at Fort Leavenworth, I wonder if his lawyer would try to get the treatment done there or try to move him to a different facility.

Class5Kayaker
08-22-2013, 03:30 PM
I think it's a ploy to get him in to a female wing and keep him safer than if he was in a male wing. I know the whole gender identity issue was brought up a long time ago, but it's awfully convenient for shim now.

Stalwart
08-22-2013, 03:33 PM
I read he is not trying to get introduced into the female population, but that may very well be the intent.

'shim' ... I see what you did there

Absinthe Anecdote
08-22-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm going to go out to some affluent liberal neighborhood this weekend with signs and a big donation can to collect money for his hormone replacement therapy.

Then I'm going to take the money and buy something nice for myself like a new iPad.

Stalwart
08-22-2013, 04:05 PM
I guess the Army released a statement saying that Tricare does not cover hormone therapy.

Lawsuit to follow.

Pullinteeth
08-22-2013, 05:59 PM
He would not be the first federal prisoner to receive hormone therapy while in jail.

If it cannot be provided at Fort Leonardwood, I wonder if his lawyer would try to get the treatment done there or try to move him to a different facility.

I think you are a bit confused. Fort Leonard Wood is a training post in Missouri and Fort Leavenworth houses a military prison in Kansas... Bradley Manning is going to prison not to Basic Training.:congratulatory:

Stalwart
08-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I think you are a bit confused. Fort Leonard Wood is a training post in Missouri and Fort Leavenworth houses a military prison in Kansas... Bradley Manning is going to prison not to Basic Training.

You are right ...

garhkal
08-22-2013, 08:01 PM

If it cannot be provided at Fort Leavenworth, I wonder if his lawyer would try to get the treatment done there or try to move him to a different facility.

IMO he should foot the bill for it himself. NOT have the tax payers do so. Someone on HLN likened it to why prisons have to pay for diabetics to get their meds etc... Well Diabetes is a verified PHYSICAL ailment that can kill. GID is as yet unproven (IMO) and does not cause you to die if you miss a shot.

I guess the Army released a statement saying that Tricare does not cover hormone therapy.

Lawsuit to follow.

And to my POV, tricare should NOT pay for it. Just like they should not pay for cosmetic surgery to make you feel better about yourself (Boob jobs etc). So from what i see, those lawsuits should be damned and tossed on their asses.

Stalwart
08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
IMO he should foot the bill for it himself. NOT have the tax payers do so. Someone on HLN likened it to why prisons have to pay for diabetics to get their meds etc... Well Diabetes is a verified PHYSICAL ailment that can kill. GID is as yet unproven (IMO) and does not cause you to die if you miss a shot.

And to my POV, tricare should NOT pay for it. Just like they should not pay for cosmetic surgery to make you feel better about yourself (Boob jobs etc). So from what i see, those lawsuits should be damned and tossed on their asses.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. I am just saying there is a precedent for federal prisoners (I don't know of any that were in a military prison) to receive hormone therapy for gender disorders. This morning the Army put out a simple statement that said hormone therapy is not part of Tricare for military members but that psychiatric and psychological help is available to all inmates. I was told by an Army colleague that his request to be called by a female name is pretty much a non-issue for them -- as far as the Army is concerned he is a male.

One organization has already said they will sue the government on his behalf if he is not afforded treatment for his gender identity disorder

If he could pay the bill himself (or get it paid for via donations), would he even be allowed to undergo this therapy in prison?

Could this be part of a series of maneuvers to get him moved to a more comfortable prison?

Could this be part of an effort to keep his case in the news with a new series of issues (his lawyers have said that he will request a pardon & IF it was to be granted I don't think you would see that until DEC 2016 or JAN 2017)?

Stalwart
08-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Just like they should not pay for cosmetic surgery to make you feel better about yourself (Boob jobs etc).

I have known a few females that had breast reductions due to the issues their breast size was causing on their backs. That is different than a breast enhancement for self esteem, correct?

garhkal
08-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Reductions i know of were done for skin reasons (the bigger they are, the more skin issues you can get, including streaching of your back skin from them bouncing up and down).. So i can see that.

And yes i know others in fed prisons have received GID treatments. BUT those are civilian fed prisons.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-22-2013, 11:39 PM

I could not disagree with you more! Boob jobs are a wonderful thing! They not only make the recipient feel good about themselves they also spread joy and happiness to many others!

I know I am always in a great mood every time I encounter a pair of surgically enhanced breasts. This truly is one of modern medicines greatest gifts to humanity.

I have long been a strong advocate of breast enhancements and I wish more people would speak favorably of them.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-23-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm not a fan of fake boobs...nor any kind of face plastic surgery...huge turn off for me.

I'm okay with a tummy tuck, maybe, that's about it.

I strongly suggest that you reevaluate your opinion on this; trust me, they are truly a wonderful thing.

RobotChicken
08-23-2013, 12:46 AM
:spy WAIT!! What all this typing about a 'sex' change for a convicted Army PFC??? What happened to hanging from the tallest oak tree/firing squad; then being buried face down in an unmarked grave?? Talk about 'change' in the new PC military, what's next? Build a mosque there next for you know who?? Sheesh!!

kool-aid
08-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I'm not a fan of fake boobs...nor any kind of face plastic surgery...huge turn off for me.

I'm okay with a tummy tuck, maybe, that's about it.

I am not a fan of fake boobs either, but have nothing against them, unless they are on a dude who wants to look like a lady.

imnohero
08-23-2013, 12:54 AM
What happened to hanging from the tallest oak tree/firing squad; then being buried face down in an unmarked grave??

It was rhetorical excess from people that specialize in :fish2 and :bsflag:

garhkal
08-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I could not disagree with you more! Boob jobs are a wonderful thing! They not only make the recipient feel good about themselves they also spread joy and happiness to many others!

I know I am always in a great mood every time I encounter a pair of surgically enhanced breasts. This truly is one of modern medicines greatest gifts to humanity.

I have long been a strong advocate of breast enhancements and I wish more people would speak favorably of them.

Would you be equally happy with a guy getting a dick job?

Also, we don't pay for active duty people to get their sex change, especially when deployed. SO why should we be required to pay for manning's treatment now he has been DISHONORABLY discharged?

Absinthe Anecdote
08-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Let’s review!

You said:

I said:

Now to your question:

Would you be equally happy with a guy getting a dick job?
Also, we don't pay for active duty people to get their sex change, especially when deployed. SO why should we be required to pay for manning's treatment now he has been DISHONORABLY discharged?

I’m not sure what a “dick job” is but I’m certain that I would not be filled with the same joy and happiness as I am upon encountering a breast enhancement recipient.

As for young Bradley, why do you seem so convinced that the government is going to foot the bill for his treatments?

I’m not for it and I’m not even sure it is likely to happen.

As for breast enhancements for females, I think you should be less uptight on that issue. They really are one of modern medicines greatest gifts to humanity.

garhkal
08-24-2013, 03:31 AM
As for young Bradley, why do you seem so convinced that the government is going to foot the bill for his treatments?

A) its elective (not required) so imo like me wanting lipo, I have to foot the bill, not big daddy govt.
B) The AF already said that gender reassignment/hormone treatment is NOT something covered
C) his ass has been dishonorably discharged. So why should he get a damn thing from uncle sam?

As for breast enhancements for females, I think you should be less uptight on that issue. They really are one of modern medicines greatest gifts to humanity.

Why? Boobs are boobs. But that does not mean i should be ok with having someones tit job get it on my dime (Taxes) while on the same token disallowing a guy to get a dick job.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-24-2013, 05:51 AM
garhkal,

Are you even reading my entire posts?

Because you are certainly omitting significant portions of them when you quote me.

I said that I don't want the government to pay for young Bradley's treatment and I don't think they will.

Why are you so convinced that the government is going to pay for young Bradley's treatments? I don't think it will happen, so what are you upset about?

As for breast implants for females, I am 100 percent for them! I love shapely buxom women and I feel happy every time I see a beautiful or even a mediocre woman with nice breasts. So I think the government should pay for that.

I don't think the government should pay for removing your belly fat or for your "dick job". You should have to take care of that on your own because it won't make the world a nicer place.

You need to calm down and start thinking of other people before yourself.

That's what I think!

technomage1
08-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Why should the govt pay for this when they won't pay for it for honorably serving members? Even if Manning can pay for it, again, honorably serving members cannot do the same. That's the heartburn I have with it. Prisoners should not be subject to less stringent rules or be allowed special actions honorably serving members don't get.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-24-2013, 01:26 PM
You guys that are getting that are acting like this is going to happen truly baffle me.

Try reading more than one little headline before you get yourself all worked up and angry over nothing.

Just because that little dipstick's lawyer asked for it doesn't mean he gets it. Ft Leavenworth officials have made it clear that they don't provide hormone therapy to inmates.

Save your outrage for an issue that matters, please.

Ft. Leavenworth spokeswoman Kimberly Lewis told Courthouse News that treatment for transgender inmates does not extend beyond psychiatric care.

"All inmates are considered soldiers and are treated as such with access to mental health professionals, including a psychiatrist, psychologist, social workers and behavioral science noncommissioned officers with experience in addressing the needs of military personnel in pre- and post-trial confinement," Lewis said in an email. "The Army does not provide hormone therapy or sex-reassignment surgery for gender identity disorder."

A growing number of federal judges have ruled that rejecting such treatment for transgender prisoners constitutes cruel and unusual punishment.

Indeed, the jurisdiction of the Maryland courtroom where the WikiLeaks source has been tried is subject to a 4th Circuit decision from Jan. 28 this year guaranteeing the possibility of sex-reassignment surgery for all federal inmates in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and North and South Carolina.

The Chicago-based 7th Circuit ruled similarly in 2011, striking down a Wisconsin law banning such medical care. A Boston federal judge granted surgery to a convicted wife-killer last year, and the 1st Circuit is currently mulling that decision on appeal.

Manning, however, is being held in a military prison in Ft. Leavenworth, out of reach for all of these jurisdictions.

garhkal
08-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Are you even reading my entire posts?

Yes i am, but i cut n paste what i wish to reply to.

As for breast implants for females, I am 100 percent for them! I love shapely buxom women and I feel happy every time I see a beautiful or even a mediocre woman with nice breasts. So I think the government should pay for that.

I don't think the government should pay for removing your belly fat or for your "dick job". You should have to take care of that on your own because it won't make the world a nicer place.

You need to calm down and start thinking of other people before yourself.

That's what I think!

That's the sort of attitude i see from those who feel it's ok to discriminate against guys cause guys don't have boobies, but women do.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes i am, but i cut n paste what i wish to reply to.

That's the sort of attitude i see from those who feel it's ok to discriminate against guys cause guys don't have boobies, but women do.

Yes, you are correct in assuming that I would discriminate against you over a woman. I’d have no problem with government subsidized breast implants for women.

I feel zero sympathy for your efforts to obtain a “dick job” on the government’s dime, what makes you think you are so special asking for us to pay for your “dick job”?

Why you are no different than young Bradley!

Dis_Grunt_Led
08-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Please let this be the last reply EVER regarding this piece of garbage. Since execution is out of the question, let's just hope he/she/it gets sad and left alone for a few minutes to do what he/she/it should have done a long time ago.

garhkal
08-25-2013, 04:42 AM
Yes, you are correct in assuming that I would discriminate against you over a woman. I’d have no problem with government subsidized breast implants for women.

I feel zero sympathy for your efforts to obtain a “dick job” on the government’s dime, what makes you think you are so special asking for us to pay for your “dick job”?

Why you are no different than young Bradley!

And why is that? Are women somehow more special in needing/wanting something to boost their exteme (Bigger boobs) while guys who want the same (Bigger dicks) can go suck hind tit?

Absinthe Anecdote
08-25-2013, 05:31 AM
And why is that? Are women somehow more special in needing/wanting something to boost their exteme (Bigger boobs) while guys who want the same (Bigger dicks) can go suck hind tit?

Yes!

Women with surgical enhanced breasts make me happy.

However, you and your Franken-Dick don't so you should just deal with your problem quietly and leave me and my buxom honeys alone.

You may go now.

PS

You might want to borrow a pair of pliers.