PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Study Finds a Gun Makes a Man Appear Taller

71Fish
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Saw this on the news this morning. What this article doesn't show is that the study cost $600,000. Seems more like a study for some other govt agency.

What makes this study interesting to me is how witnesses to crime never have the same story about the assailant, ie, height/weight, number of shots fired, etc.

http://www.stripes.com/news/americas/a-gun-makes-a-man-look-taller-study-says-1.174304?localLinksEnabled=false

TJMAC77SP
08-21-2013, 03:59 PM
It makes his balls seem bigger, too.

It does make his balls bigger....no seem to it.

What a silly study. Of course it wasn't the main focus of the study and true focus seems relevant so who knows?

BENDER56
08-21-2013, 07:36 PM
What makes this study interesting to me is how witnesses to crime never have the same story about the assailant, ie, height/weight, number of shots fired, etc.

Multiple studies have shown that human memory is unreliable. Actually, it's awful. People will steadfastly tell you they're certain about things that it turns out they're wrong about. 75% of people exonerated due to DNA evidence proving they are innocent were convicted on the basis of eyewitness testimony. One of the most famous is the case of Jennifer Thompson, who kept her composure during a rape and made it her mission to remember everything about the man who was assaulting her. She testified with certainty against the man authorities said did it and he went to prison for 11 years. Then DNA evidence proved he didn't do it. People suck at memory.

LogDog
08-21-2013, 07:58 PM
I found this paragraph from the link interesting.

“Chickens and lizards and lots of other vertebrates have to face the problem: ‘When I encounter another chicken or lizard, do I advance against the opponent, do I retreat or do I try to appease them?’” Fessler said. “All things being equal, the bigger, stronger individual wins the conflict.”
If someone is bigger and stronger then how can that be included in "All things being equal...?"

LogDog
08-21-2013, 08:05 PM
do the chickens have large talons?
No, it's the one with the larger pecker.

RobotChicken
08-21-2013, 11:50 PM
I found this paragraph from the link interesting.

“Chickens and lizards and lots of other vertebrates have to face the problem: ‘When I encounter another chicken or lizard, do I advance against the opponent, do I retreat or do I try to appease them?’” Fessler said. “All things being equal, the bigger, stronger individual wins the conflict.”
If someone is bigger and stronger then how can that be included in "All things being equal...?"

:swordfight: "Ever been to a 'Cock Fight'?"

BRUWIN
08-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Money spent wisely. I wonder if it came from the GS furlough savings???

loggie94
08-22-2013, 05:17 AM

Yet the media/public 'convicts' on the first version of the story and any changes to the story once facts are determined is considered a conspiracy... :frusty