PDA

View Full Version : Moderation Nation.

Bourne
08-21-2013, 01:15 AM
Hi all,

I've had to take a few days away from (the frontend of) the forum, but came back to lots of dissenting views. :(

I took a look through what's been going and I have to say, some things could've been handled better, some were handled better than I would've, and still others are behind the scenes that you guys are unaware of.

Biggest thing I want to say is:
Most of this is my fault. Our moderators have a lot to do, I've been in and out. While I have been sending PMs at random times in response to the moderator questions, often times my responses came LONG after they've been forced to take corrective actions on uncertain cases.

The mods have had to make snap decisions, going on either no input from me, or very partial information which was relayed hastily. Unfortunately, not all of those decisions have been met with the highest satisfaction publicly, and sometimes were not the exact decision I would necessarily make given the goals and hopes I have in mind for the forum.

This is not the moderators' faults, it's mine, for not prepping them properly for what we truly wish for the forum.
Mods make their own choices, yes, but they are working not just to please you, but to also meet my expectations. It is a tough spot, and I have not done my part.

I apologize to you all for that. I stand behind the moderators, but I can admit I have not guided them well in all situations.

So I want to get a couple things on the table.
I don't really want this entire place to digress into a talk about how to moderate with these massive posts and threads about the Mod Squad. I really DO want you all engaging and having fun. So, perhaps this can be our thread about moderation. I am hoping to keep things contained here.

---------------
1. Censorship.
---------------
My thoughts:
Trust me, it is a PITA to censor this place! I swear, every soldier, airman/woman, marine, has "sailor's mouth." I mean, Rusty Jones has about 127 different ways to type the letter "U."
Secondly, the truth of the matter is, we really don't mind this language, on a personal level. We use those words ourselves. However, some uses are reported for their comments, some are laughed about, some are ignored.

How we'll deal with this:
We MUST respond when there are reports, and if the complaint is genuine and contains swearing, it will get moderated.
We all know the difference between general cussing about the "f*ckin politicians in Washington" and "You f*ckin sh*twad idiot, [Insert Member Name]."
I will disable the auto-censor on curse words. But I'd like a gentleman's agreement to be judicious when using curse words directed at other members.
If you direct foul language at a person in an offensive way, expect that comment to be subject to moderation. You've been warned, so there really is no need to cry foul.

---------------
2. Editing Posts
---------------
My thoughts:
Per some comments made previously, I thought the moderators should give the post editing a try. I see now, that is worse than just straight deleting the comment.

OK. No more editing of posts. However, if you do have a violating statement in your post. Your post will be "Soft Deleted" indicating that the post was deleted by a mod, and a reason will be given. If your post is spam (this is for the bots), or otherwise completely egregious, it will be flat out deleted. No more of this 1984 editing the truth stuff, but be aware that this means your posts are subject to deletion. We will loosen our criteria for what gets moderated, but we cannot allow an "anything goes" environment here.

--------------------------------------
3. Problems with the way we moderate and other things.
My thoughts:
We welcome your input. We try to incorporate it where we can. Some of you have mentioned ideas for threads and their parent locations, topic names, etc, and we have listened.
Even now, amid all the arguments against us, we are still here, listening, responding, and trying to incorporate suggestions.
Be vocal, but in the end, we want you guys to have fun. Making this place dull is the opposite of what we want.

How we'll handle this:
You guys are always welcome to voice your opinions. However, these views should not bleed into other areas of the site, as we saw with the religion forum. We DO want to have those conversations, but they should be in this forum, and only this forum.
We will not engage threads like the Tak thread. If you have a legitimate concern, something you want an answer to, please post it in this forum, or PM one of us.
What has happened when we engage those comments in the original thread is people have started arguing with US, instead of one another. The net-net result of which, is everybody is still arguing!

Last words:

I will reinstate the "I'm surprised" thread about Tak, as that was genuinely a valuable and worthy thread. Moving forward, a thread like that may get a moderator statement about redirecting actual requests/questions to PM or this forum, and depending on how far it has strayed, could be moved here.

I will also reinstate a Religion forum somewhere, in some form.
I also plan to update the user title with the help of the mods.

You DO have input here. You DO have freedom to speak here. We will do a better job of letting you have that freedom, while keeping out the 'riff-raff' and ACs as we so affectionately call them.

I hope you all can continue to enjoy the forums. I hope you have not lost all faith and trust in me or the mods.

If you feel a specific thread was deleted yet still had value - it is entirely possible this was not intentional, so please let us know - as you know the system upgrade had the inverse effect of making this place a bucket of hot shit on a cold day.

CJSmith
08-21-2013, 05:19 AM
My 2 cents and suggestions...

User titles: Scrap what you have and start something new. It's a military forum so go with military ranks starting at E-1, E-2 all the way up to O-9. Set the post count to reach O-9 to the current highest post count (which is Shrike with 11,070 right now). Then take the remaining ranks and divide 11,070 by that number. Then you'll have the post count increment to obtain those ranks.

This idea will most certainly piss some people off so if that idea is a bust go with generic ones like: Newbie, Junior member, Average Member, Senior Member, Master in Training, and Master of the Forum. Google theadminzone for ideas on user titles. They have a ton of them.

If none of that works, get rid of user titles all together and go with bar ranks like this: http://mods.mybb.com/uploads/previews/5857-1211272367-screeny.jpg

Whatever is done, I'd sticky a thread in this section of the forum so everyone knows about them.

Moderation: It needs done and nobody will ever be fully happy with it. Every board handles it differently and this board is finally allowing them. If I'm not mistaken, the discussion that was agreed on (or implied) was the moderators would be trusted regular members but would have an alt account so other members wouldn't know who they were. If this is the case, then they shouldn't be taking on a second identity with clever handle names, avatars, and signature quotes. They should strictly be using that account to close, move, sticky threads. Take the character out of them and you might find less trouble down the line.

Moderators are needed to help keep your sanity. Just make sure they don't crush the conversation, instead just moderate it.

Finally, please fix the like, dislike thanks buttons to allow us to undo an accident. It can be done in the admin settings of the mod. I believe it's DBT's mod that you are using.

Bourne
08-23-2013, 01:02 AM
As promised:
http://forums.militarytimes.com/forumdisplay.php?326-Religion

Bourne
08-23-2013, 01:25 AM
User title breakdowns are a slippery slope.

We want users who engage a lot to have a sense that they earn something for this engagement. We also don't want a situation where titles and ranks become yet one more thing to fight over.
The biggest vote was simply to remove all ranks.

I personally do not like this, so I've done a hybrid. A hybrid method reduces the number of ranks a user can climb, while increasing the difficulty of attaining the higher ranks. The higher ranks are still attainable by the elite few who contribute to genuine conversation - currently there are 8 active "Brass" members.

Recruit 0
Junior Member 50
Member 500
Senior Member 1000
Brass 5000

It's a tall order for a troll to get to Brass, but when a user does attain Brass, s/he has contributed to MTF in a way that is beyond measure.

This is one more secret level, which you'll have to find for yourselves.

Pullinteeth
08-23-2013, 05:28 PM
---------------
2. Editing Posts
---------------
My thoughts:
Per some comments made previously, I thought the moderators should give the post editing a try. I see now, that is worse than just straight deleting the comment.

OK. No more editing of posts. However, if you do have a violating statement in your post. Your post will be "Soft Deleted" indicating that the post was deleted by a mod, and a reason will be given. If your post is spam (this is for the bots), or otherwise completely egregious, it will be flat out deleted. No more of this 1984 editing the truth stuff, but be aware that this means your posts are subject to deletion. We will loosen our criteria for what gets moderated, but we cannot allow an "anything goes" environment here.

Well...that sure didn't last long... The title of a year old thread was editied to change "Wook" to "Female."

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1594927-Females-to-be-kicked-out-of-the-USMC

IMO, you changed the thread title from what amounts to dirtbag females will be kicked out to now read that all females are dirtbags that will be kicked out.. WAY to go!!! Calling all female Marines "Wooks" is much more offensive that just the hairy fat ones....:bi_polo:

Mjölnir
08-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Well...that sure didn't last long...

I had edited the title of the thread on 09 Aug, 11 days before the update on moderation.

Thank you for pointing out that it needed to be deleted.

USMC0341
08-23-2013, 06:48 PM
User title breakdowns are a slippery slope.

We want users who engage a lot to have a sense that they earn something for this engagement. We also don't want a situation where titles and ranks become yet one more thing to fight over.
The biggest vote was simply to remove all ranks.

I personally do not like this, so I've done a hybrid. A hybrid method reduces the number of ranks a user can climb, while increasing the difficulty of attaining the higher ranks. The higher ranks are still attainable by the elite few who contribute to genuine conversation - currently there are 8 active "Brass" members.

Recruit 0
Junior Member 50
Member 500
Senior Member 1000
Brass 5000

It's a tall order for a troll to get to Brass, but when a user does attain Brass, s/he has contributed to MTF in a way that is beyond measure.

This is one more secret level, which you'll have to find for yourselves.

I bet Tak could find your super secret awesome rank within a week...just sayin

TJMAC77SP
08-23-2013, 10:33 PM
I had edited the title of the thread on 09 Aug, 11 days before the update on moderation.

Thank you for pointing out that it needed to be deleted.

UncaRastus.......this is what I was referring to btw

Pullinteeth
09-06-2013, 04:55 PM
So riddle me this Batman, ya'll DECIMATED the Forums by deleting whole sections and are now starting some of them over. WTH? We had about 30 pages of recipes-DELETED...now a new thread for what? recipies. There was an entertainment section-books/movies/sports-DELETED...now a thread for what? Movies.

oldgrndr@
09-06-2013, 05:04 PM
So riddle me this Batman, ya'll DECIMATED the Forums by deleting whole sections and are now starting some of them over. WTH? We had about 30 pages of recipes-DELETED...now a new thread for what? recipies. There was an entertainment section-books/movies/sports-DELETED...now a thread for what? Movies.

Wait for it... Games/gamers thread(s) will probably make a comeback too.

BISSBOSS
04-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Hi all,

I've had to take a few days away from (the frontend of) the forum, but came back to lots of dissenting views. :(

I took a look through what's been going and I have to say, some things could've been handled better, some were handled better than I would've, and still others are behind the scenes that you guys are unaware of.

Biggest thing I want to say is:
Most of this is my fault. Our moderators have a lot to do, I've been in and out. While I have been sending PMs at random times in response to the moderator questions, often times my responses came LONG after they've been forced to take corrective actions on uncertain cases.

The mods have had to make snap decisions, going on either no input from me, or very partial information which was relayed hastily. Unfortunately, not all of those decisions have been met with the highest satisfaction publicly, and sometimes were not the exact decision I would necessarily make given the goals and hopes I have in mind for the forum.

This is not the moderators' faults, it's mine, for not prepping them properly for what we truly wish for the forum.
Mods make their own choices, yes, but they are working not just to please you, but to also meet my expectations. It is a tough spot, and I have not done my part.

I apologize to you all for that. I stand behind the moderators, but I can admit I have not guided them well in all situations.

So I want to get a couple things on the table.
I don't really want this entire place to digress into a talk about how to moderate with these massive posts and threads about the Mod Squad. I really DO want you all engaging and having fun. So, perhaps this can be our thread about moderation. I am hoping to keep things contained here.

---------------
1. Censorship.
---------------
My thoughts:
Trust me, it is a PITA to censor this place! I swear, every soldier, airman/woman, marine, has "sailor's mouth." I mean, Rusty Jones has about 127 different ways to type the letter "U."
Secondly, the truth of the matter is, we really don't mind this language, on a personal level. We use those words ourselves. However, some uses are reported for their comments, some are laughed about, some are ignored.

We MUST respond when there are reports, and if the complaint is genuine and contains swearing, it will get moderated.
We all know the difference between general cussing about the "f*ckin politicians in Washington" and "You f*ckin sh*twad idiot, [Insert Member Name]."
I will disable the auto-censor on curse words. But I'd like a gentleman's agreement to be judicious when using curse words directed at other members.
If you direct foul language at a person in an offensive way, expect that comment to be subject to moderation. You've been warned, so there really is no need to cry foul.

---------------
2. Editing Posts
---------------
My thoughts:

3. Problems with the way we moderate and other things.
My thoughts:
We welcome your input. We try to incorporate it where we can. Some of you have mentioned ideas for threads and their parent locations, topic names, etc, and we have listened.
Even now, amid all the arguments against us, we are still here, listening, responding, and trying to incorporate suggestions.
Be vocal, but in the end, we want you guys to have fun. Making this place dull is the opposite of what we want.

How we'll handle this:
You guys are always welcome to voice your opinions. However, these views should not bleed into other areas of the site, as we saw with the religion forum. We DO want to have those conversations, but they should be in this forum, and only this forum.
We will not engage threads like the Tak thread. If you have a legitimate concern, something you want an answer to, please post it in this forum, or PM one of us.
What has happened when we engage those comments in the original thread is people have started arguing with US, instead of one another. The net-net result of which, is everybody is still arguing!

Last words:

I will reinstate the "I'm surprised" thread about Tak, as that was genuinely a valuable and worthy thread. Moving forward, a thread like that may get a moderator statement about redirecting actual requests/questions to PM or this forum, and depending on how far it has strayed, could be moved here.

I will also reinstate a Religion forum somewhere, in some form.
I also plan to update the user title with the help of the mods.

You DO have input here. You DO have freedom to speak here. We will do a better job of letting you have that freedom, while keeping out the 'riff-raff' and ACs as we so affectionately call them.

I hope you all can continue to enjoy the forums. I hope you have not lost all faith and trust in me or the mods.

If you feel a specific thread was deleted yet still had value - it is entirely possible this was not intentional, so please let us know - as you know the system upgrade had the inverse effect of making this place a bucket of hot shit on a cold day.

I have been attempting to get an answer on the following question:

Why are selected posts in the "More Nuc Enterprise Shenanigans" thread being deleted for the reason "tak referencing is not allowed"?

I have found no references to the mere mentioning of his name being grounds for a post being deleted. Additionally, if that is the policy, I would ask that it be clearly stated to all members, explained and applied evenly as there is at least one other post in the thread that would appear to have violated that policy yet was not deleted.

Thanks in advance for the clarification...

-BB-

Max Power
04-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Why are selected posts in the "More Nuc Enterprise Shenanigans" thread being deleted for the reason "tak referencing is not allowed"?

I have found no references to the mere mentioning of his name being grounds for a post being deleted. Additionally, if that is the policy, I would ask that it be clearly stated to all members, explained and applied evenly as there is at least one other post in the thread that would appear to have violated that policy yet was not deleted.

-BB-

Sounds like the user turned moderator has a personal vendetta against mentioning "He who shall not be named."

Mjölnir
04-03-2014, 08:38 PM

-BB-

I don't have specifics on the issue, can you send me a PM.

Thanks

Vrake
04-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Sounds like the user turned moderator has a personal vendetta against mentioning "He who shall not be named."

Voldemort is a member here? There goes the neighborhood. :)

Mjölnir
04-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Voldemort is a member here? There goes the neighborhood. :)

If he was I would patronus his ass.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-03-2014, 08:56 PM
If he was I would patronus his ass.

Does that involve slathering your fist with butter?

Measure Man
04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
thread being deleted for the reason "tak referencing is not allowed"?

LMAO...he he he he...been giggling for 30 mins on that one...lol

BISSBOSS
04-04-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't have specifics on the issue, can you send me a PM.

Thanks

Done.

Thanks!

-BB-

Mjölnir
04-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Done.

Thanks!

-BB-

Did not get it, try one more time. I get the gist of what you are saying and am working on an answer.

RS6405
04-07-2014, 10:54 AM
What is going on with Echo's Education?

I was looking for information, but all the threads have gone. I PM'd a mod a week ago asking about that section, yet, no response.

I just tried to post my question about it there; of course it did not show up. So now I am asking here. What gives?

Mjölnir
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
What is going on with Echo's Education?

I was looking for information, but all the threads have gone. I PM'd a mod a week ago asking about that section, yet, no response.

I just tried to post my question about it there; of course it did not show up. So now I am asking here. What gives?

I am not sure what is wrong with the PM system right now; I would not assume if you send a PM it actually went through. Does the outgoing message show up in your SENT ITEMS?

EDIT: there are some still ongoing issues with the forums. I don't know if Echo Education was deleted purposely or not. I will try to find out.

Mjölnir
04-07-2014, 01:51 PM

-BB-

Referencing banned members is not necessarily prohibited. Current users posting messages from, links from or using their account as a vis a vis sounding board for a banned member is not allowed, as that in essence is using a user account as a intermediary for a banned member to still post. Such posts may be edited or deleted.

Think of it like this: You are talking to your wife and the name of a girlfriend/boyfriend from High School comes up, it is okay to mention that "Christy P" was your date to the prom" but sharing messages from her with your family would get you into you very own banned camp.

Questions or concerns should be addressed in the Questions Forum or via PM to a Moderator or the System Administrator, however it doesn't look like the PM system is working too well right now.

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Referencing banned members not necessarily prohibited, but current users posting messages from, links from or using their account as a vis a vis sounding board for a banned member is not allowed, as that in essence is using a user account as a intermediary for a banned member to still post. Such posts may be edited or deleted.

Think of it like this: You are talking to your wife and the name of a girlfriend/boyfriend from High School comes up, it is okay to mention that "Christy P" was your date to the prom" but sharing messages from her with your family would get you into you very own banned camp.

Questions or concerns should be addressed in the Questions Forum or via PM to a Moderator or the System Administrator, however it doesn't look like the PM system is working too well right now.

Don't quite understand your prom date reference but oh well...

So, to clarify, I can use quotes from criminals, terrorist organizations, leaders of oppressed nations, etc, but I can't reference a post made by someone who was banned?

How is it different to say "I was talking to Tak and he said this..." than to say "My wife, who is not registered on the site and has not been approved to post, said this..."?

Is it ok if I don't use quotes, or don't say "Tak said..." and just post as if it was my thought? If I do post something, can you infer that it was relating a Tak thought?

Please clarify as I no longer want to suffer the harsh and humiliating wrath of banned camp. I also wouldn't want to undermine a Mod as I have a deep and newfound respect for who you are and what you do. I'm all about the rules...all about law and order.

Mjölnir
04-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Don't quite understand your prom date reference but oh well...

So, to clarify, I can use quotes from criminals, terrorist organizations, leaders of oppressed nations, etc, but I can't reference a post made by someone who was banned?

Would depend, it is hate speech, then no. That is a violation of the Community Guidelines.

How is it different to say "I was talking to Tak and he said this..." than to say "My wife, who is not registered on the site and has not been approved to post, said this..."?

Your wife hasn't been banned from this site.

Is it ok if I don't use quotes, or don't say "Tak said..." and just post as if it was my thought? If I do post something, can you infer that it was relating a Tak thought?

If you presented it as your own thought or link, the mods would never know.

Please clarify as I no longer want to suffer the harsh and humiliating wrath of banned camp. I also wouldn't want to undermine a Mod as I have a deep and newfound respect for who you are and what you do. I'm all about the rules...all about law and order.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and support. Since you are a retired TSgt, I would guess you are not as naive as you are acting so I will just say follow the guidelines.

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Would depend, it is hate speech, then no. That is a violation of the Community Guidelines.

Your wife hasn't been banned from this site.

If you presented it as your own thought or link, the mods would never know.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and support. Since you are a retired TSgt, I would guess you are not as naive as you are acting so I will just say follow the guidelines.

Not sure what rank you were/are, but you should know to never assume. I may be just as naive as I'm acting. Then you'd feel silly.

So it be inappropriate for me to say something like "I have XX (banned member) on my Facebook and he/she posted several links to the site of members like Corroded Johnson and Anise Flavored Spirit Short Story repeatedly violating the terms of the forum and not being banned" but ok for me to just say "Why do members like Corroded Johnson and Anise Flavored Spirit Short Story repeatedly violate the terms of the forum and get away with it"?

Please clarify that hypothetical example 1 is wrong but hypothetical example 2 is ok.

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Just sent a PM in response to one I recieved. With the system as messed up as it's been, just wanted to let the person know in case you didn't recieve it.

Absinthe Anecdote
04-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Not sure what rank you were/are, but you should know to never assume. I may be just as naive as I'm acting. Then you'd feel silly.

So it be inappropriate for me to say something like "I have XX (banned member) on my Facebook and he/she posted several links to the site of members like Corroded Johnson and Anise Flavored Spirit Short Story repeatedly violating the terms of the forum and not being banned" but ok for me to just say "Why do members like Corroded Johnson and Anise Flavored Spirit Short Story repeatedly violate the terms of the forum and get away with it"?

Please clarify that hypothetical example 1 is wrong but hypothetical example 2 is ok.

Corroded Johnson and Anise Flavored Spirit Short Story sound like very lovable and interesting posters to me.

I am so inspired at this very moment, I feel like bursting into song, cue the music!

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when you are sour and complain
Cold and dark like the falling rain
Why must you question every single rule
Ignoring common sense like a rusty old tool
What do you think will become of you
I don't like the look of it

Oompa loompa doompety da
If you're not whiny, you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa Doompety do

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Corroded Johnson and Anise Flavored Spirit Short Story sound like very lovable and interesting posters to me.

I am so inspired at this very moment, I feel like bursting into song, cue the music!

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when you are sour and complain
Cold and dark like the falling rain
Why must you question every single rule
Ignoring common sense like a rusty old tool
What do you think will become of you
I don't like the look of it

Oompa loompa doompety da
If you're not whiny, you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa Doompety doThis seems disruptive.

RS6405
04-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Referencing banned members is not necessarily prohibited. Current users posting messages from, links from or using their account as a vis a vis sounding board for a banned member is not allowed, as that in essence is using a user account as a intermediary for a banned member to still post. Such posts may be edited or deleted.

The PM did not show in the sent folder.
I have posted a Merry Christmas message from Tak before. I don't believe that is disruptive. I do think it is empowering a banned member, but only because the Mods make it so. If the Mods did not make it an issue, then it would be none.

Also what is the voodoo that Tak invokes that makes his name such a taboo subject? Is RC's name going to be treated the the same way since he died while banned???

Mjölnir
04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
The PM did not show in the sent folder.
I have posted a Merry Christmas message from Tak before. I don't believe that is disruptive. I do think it is empowering a banned member, but only because the Mods make it so. If the Mods did not make it an issue, then it would be none.

Also what is the voodoo that Tak invokes that makes his name such a taboo subject? Is RC's name going to be treated the the same way since he died while banned???

If the PM is not in the sent folder, it was not sent. I suggest keeping messages short and not using punctuation

Messages etc from any banned member are not allowed, not just Tak in particular.

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Messages etc from any banned member are not allowed, not just Tak in particular. Exactly...because we wouldn't want to quote RC from the grave by sharing some of his former rants. That would do nothing but empower him. Rules is rules.

Mjölnir
04-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Exactly...because we wouldn't want to quote RC from the grave by sharing some of his former rants. That would do nothing but empower him. Rules is rules.

He also wasn't permanently banned. His ban expired before he passed, but I would imagine MTF was not a priority at that point.

All bickering / back and forth and nonsense aside, I think the question was answered.

sandsjames
04-07-2014, 05:12 PM
He also wasn't permanently banned. His ban expired before he passed, but I would imagine MTF was not a priority at that point.

All bickering / back and forth and nonsense aside, I think the question was answered.

Actually, it was pretty much the only thing he had going at the time. Either way, that's history. The question was answered, as you said. /endthread