PDA

View Full Version : New AF Times Cartoon...offensive?

sharkhunter
08-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Did anyone else find the newest AF Times Cartoon in the back of the newspaper a little offensive? I personally did mostly because I know that the situation like that in the cartonn actually happens in many offices/work centers in the AF.

I don't have a copy of it but here's the basics of it (it might not be the exact wording, but it's close. Maybe others can clear it up or find it)

Square one
Sgt: Airman, is that a Bible on your desk
Airman: Yes sir, it is, I read it during lunch breaks

Square two
Airman: Its taught me to treat others with respect and treat others as you wanted to be treated

Square three
Sgt: You're one reason why moral cohesion has decreased.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't understand the punch line.

What the heck are you doing reading cartoons in the first place?

technomage1
08-15-2013, 09:59 PM
It made me angry. Way to twist everything around so its the mean atheist vs. the poor Christian. Sheesh.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 10:13 PM
The Family Circus usually pisses me off. Of all the newspaper comics that one has to be the worst of all time. How that guy makes a living off that comic baffles me.

I also never understood who reads comics like Mary Worth! WTF?

Slyoldawg
08-15-2013, 10:26 PM
The Family Circus usually pisses me off. Of all the newspaper comics that one has to be the worst of all time. How that guy makes a living off that comic baffles me.

I also never understood who reads comics like Mary Worth! WTF?

I taught myself how to read using the comic strips of the local newspapers in New Orleans. My sisters helped me with words that I could not guess the meaning of. I was reading newspapers and books prior to starting Kindergarten. Reading comics started for me in 1944 and continues to this day. I read Dick Tracy, Smiling Jack, The Phantom, Mandrake The Magician, Gasoline Alley, Jim Thorpe and many others. My favorite of all comics was one named "Rick O'Shay, drawn by a real cowboy from Montana, who passed away just last week. I encouraged my kids and now my grandkids to read comic strips. Some they like and some they don't, but it is a great way to get kids into reading! I now read online editions of electronic newspapers and I still read most comic strips on a daily basis. With the news of the world around us, reading comics helps maintain our sense of humor and our sanity.

retiredAFcivvy
08-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what the punch line means either. Probably what the cartoonist intended. I'm wondering if it might be in reference to the inspections for objectionable materials in the workplace. I thought I saw where some folks had to remove some religious items. I'll just say that I don't see a problem with someone having a Bible on their desk.

Slyoldawg
08-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Personally, I don't think religion of any kind should be in the work place, civilian, or military. Seems with so many different gods and religious beliefs in this world it all should be kept private. If everyone in an office was of a different religion and brought their religious objects for display I don't think it would be a comfortable work place. Religion should be kept private and not put on display. Just look at what's going on around the world because of religion.

RobotChicken
08-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Personally, I don't think religion of any kind should be in the work place, civilian, or military. Seems with so many different gods and religious beliefs in this world it all should be kept private. If everyone in an office was of a different religion and brought their religious objects for display I don't think it would be a comfortable work place. Religion should be kept private and not put on display. Just look at what's going on around the world because of religion.

"As experienced in 'MTF' recently is a great example of it." :clock

SomeRandomGuy
08-16-2013, 03:08 AM

As someone who grew up in church I agree with you. If everyone brought their religious symbol things would get a bit awkward. Its like with the rules on how to fly the US flag. According to law US should be highest but what if a Mexican wants to fly his above? That would start a problem. Then imagine a Cuban also thought his flag should be on top. That would just create problems. I have no problem with anyone worshipping the god of their choice. I just don't think there is a place for them to advocate their god above all the others. As far as Im concerned do what you want but keep it at home

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 12:55 PM
It made me angry. Way to twist everything around so its the mean atheist vs. the poor Christian. Sheesh.

Sarcasm?

I've been looking for the cartoon he is talking about and can't find it.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea. Don't get me wrong, I do agree to some extent but have you any idea how many things COULD be construed as religious? IMNSHO, this is one of those things that the AF would take WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to far (shocker I know). I know there is a line and that a LOT of people cross it but where it is exactly? I think it is far short of a complete ban because that would go sideways FAST. A quick example would be when Mikey sued the AF over a poster that featured eagles that said "on eagles wings I soar" because that is from a bible verse.... This poster was at a PME location in a room with dozens of other eagle posters an paraphernalia... the Af would make it a "zero tolerence" policy and kick out anyone that dared ever type/write/display a lower case "t" The AF symbol would also have to go because the five pointed star is known in the Christian religion as the star of bethleham...don't even think about a six pointed star...or a four/eight/nine/twelve either-they are all taken... The Navy would have to remove all anchors since that is also a Christian symbol... Can't have anything red....Buddhists have claimed that entire color...

20+Years
08-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't get it. Although I think the Airman was on track to two very important life lessons.

TJMAC77SP
08-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Not sure that a bible lying on a desk is 'displaying' religious symbols. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with anyone working for me having a religious text at work.

Would a copy of Rolling Stone offend anyone (well the cover of the Boston Marathon bomber aside)?

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Not sure that a bible lying on a desk is 'displaying' religious symbols. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with anyone working for me having a religious text at work.

Would a copy of Rolling Stone offend anyone (well the cover of the Boston Marathon bomber aside)?

If the SAPR briefing taught me nothing else...it is that Maxim leads to rape....

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 01:27 PM
If the SAPR briefing taught me nothing else...it is that Maxim leads to rape....

Maxim is a dangerous magazine! I merely mentioned an edition of it that featured Jessica Alba and it sparked two fist fights and an inter-office feud that lasted for months.

20+Years
08-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Damn, I missed that issue!

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Damn, I missed that issue!

You must be a rapist....:frusty

20+Years
08-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Doh! :puppy_dog_eyes:

TJMAC77SP
08-16-2013, 02:51 PM

Is Cosmo considered ok? (Serious question)

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 03:05 PM

Yep! In fact it is a great magazine! I use it all the time to line the bottom of my parakeet's cage.

She just can't get enough of that magazine and loves all the relationship advice and is particularly fond of the horoscope section.

technomage1
08-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Sarcasm?

I've been looking for the cartoon he is talking about and can't find it.

No. I thought the cartoon was inappropriate and was suprised and disappointed it made it into print.

www.blogs.militarytimes.com/flightlines/2013/07/29/air-force-times-aug-5-issue-comic/

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Of course....Cosmo is a WOMEN'S magazine...only MEN'S magazines lead to rape....silly question...

Rainmaker
08-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Did anyone else find the newest AF Times Cartoon in the back of the newspaper a little offensive? I personally did mostly because I know that the situation like that in the cartonn actually happens in many offices/work centers in the AF.

I don't have a copy of it but here's the basics of it (it might not be the exact wording, but it's close. Maybe others can clear it up or find it)

Square one

Square two
Airman: Its taught me to treat others with respect and treat others as you wanted to be treated

Square three

Rainmaker don't get it either. So are you offended because you're a Sergeant?

Rainmaker
08-16-2013, 03:53 PM

Yes it's written by Lesbian feminists. so it's good to go.

TJMAC77SP
08-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Of course....Cosmo is a WOMEN'S magazine...only MEN'S magazines lead to rape....silly question...

Lord knows I have been known to ask silly questions. Particularly ones where the answer is a bit "inconvenient"

WCS
08-16-2013, 04:04 PM
This cartoon was pointed out to me last weekend and I don't have a problem with it and I understand the point they are trying to make.

Let me explain it this way my last trip to the AOR I worked in as section chief, already there was an SSgt aka jerk this guy was a nightmare to deal with. I found a Torque wrench in one of the tool boxes overdue well he was in charge of the program and the stupid way things where setup only SSgt/AKA jerk was the only one that could turn it in, which he did not want to do. I tell you what I never prayed so hard in my life.
When the next rotation of young troops came in I had a sit down talk with them and one of the things I talked about was the Golden rule "do unto others as you would have others do unto you"

It’s a Biblical concept you don't want people stealing from you hey don't steal, rape you don't want anyone raping you don't go around raping people.

so the cartons point was poking fun at the concept of the big bad evil Christians by saying you mean those bad old do unto others, non-hating, non-stealing Christians--yeah the ones that teach love your enemies do good to those that hate you, thooose Christians

WCS

It’s pretty funny if you think about

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 04:22 PM
When the next rotation of young troops came in I had a sit down talk with them and one of the things I talked about was the Golden rule "do unto others as you would have others do unto you"

It’s a Biblical concept you don't want people stealing from you hey don't steal, rape you don't want anyone raping you don't go around raping people.
so the cartons point was poking fun at the concept of the big bad evil Christians by saying you mean those bad old do unto others, non-hating, non-stealing Christians--yeah the ones that teach love your enemies do good to those that hate you, thooose Christians

If that is what you said, not only were you prostelitizing, you were WRONG. The ethic of reciprocity has been around MUCH longer than the Bible. Not only that, you have the Golden Rule confused with the Silver Rule. The Torah was the first written version of what is now known as the Golden Rule (Leviticus 19:18) but your statement of the concept is actually the Silver Rule...The TERM Golden Rule didn't actually come into our nomenclature until the 1670s.... Nice try though.

Class5Kayaker
08-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Square one

Square two

Square three

Ugh……I am so sick of everyone being offended/angry over little things like this. The cartoon was a poor attempt at some political satire/humor over a current issue in the military (what is/isn’t allowed when it comes to religion).

Me personally, I’m an atheist. But I don’t whine/cry about a prayer being held at the beginning of events. I just sit there and look around at everyone (which can be fun at times…actually). It kills me that atheists in the military don’t realize the hypocrisy of them demanding no prayers during events, etc., because they’re basically saying, “Hey we’re in the minority, but we’re demanding everyone throw their beliefs out the window and comply with our belief (which is a lack of belief).” And it’s not just the religion issue……I am SO OVER how offended everyone is over the smallest of things. I’m sick of feeling like I have to choose every word carefully and walk around on eggshells in fear of offending the wrong person. Get some thick skin grow a pair of balls!

Oh….this guy called and he wants you to turn your man card back in to him.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081118030614/tesfanon/images/thumb/5/5c/Chuck_Norris.jpg/480px-Chuck_Norris.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_W638ntGwp10/TBlldnMVlYI/AAAAAAAAAKE/_0veyRM69oc/s320/man-card.jpg

technomage1
08-16-2013, 04:28 PM
If that is what you said, not only were you prostelitizing, you were WRONG. The ethic of reciprocity has been around MUCH longer than the Bible. Not only that, you have the Golden Rule confused with the Silver Rule. The Torah was the first written version of what is now known as the Golden Rule (Leviticus 19:18) but your statement of the concept is actually the Silver Rule...The TERM Golden Rule didn't actually come into our nomenclature until the 1670s.... Nice try though.

If he only said the first paragraph it wouldn't be a problem. Adding the bible to it is uneccessary. And, as you point out, rules like this have been around prior to the Code of Hammurabi - which itself predates the bible by approximately 2,000 years.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
If you really read it, it is kind of funny. The Sgt is apparently implying that treating everyone with respect is what is wrong with the military..... It really has nothing to do with religion...

Note to the Mods-please don't ban me for mentioning the "R" word....

Class5Kayaker
08-16-2013, 04:33 PM
If you really read it, it is kind of funny. The Sgt is apparently implying that treating everyone with respect is what is wrong with the military..... It really has nothing to do with religion...

Note to the Mods-please don't ban me for mentioning the "R" word....

LOL.....the mods are probably wondering what to do with this thread right now bcause they have no forum to move it to (they've been doing that a lot lately) since the Re!igion forum was done away with.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 04:37 PM
LOL.....the mods are probably wondering what to do with this thread right now bcause they have no forum to move it to (they've been doing that a lot lately) since the Re!igion forum was done away with.

They will do what they always do....delete it. As the cartoon says...treating others (and their opinons) with respect just cannot be tolerated.

Cerberus
08-16-2013, 04:55 PM
There is no reason to move this thread, it is AF related. There is also no reason to delete this thread, though I can if you want me to.

sandsjames
08-16-2013, 05:23 PM
There is no reason to move this thread, it is AF related. There is also no reason to delete this thread, though I can if you want me to.

Give it a couple days and we won't have to ask.

Mjölnir
08-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Give it a couple days and we won't have to ask.

Makes me think of the 20 minute version of 2112.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Makes me think of the 20 minute version of 2112.

You sure you are allowed to converse with us puny humans? Cerberus doesn't seem to be a fan of ya'll mixing with the rest of us...

BENDER56
08-16-2013, 06:21 PM

Well, then ... you might like to know there are some funny Family Circus parodies on line. I was going to embed a link to one, "The Other Family", but the content is really, really offensive so I'll let anyone interested find it on their own. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And while we're trying to thread-jack about worthless, irritatingly vapid cartoons, let's not forget "Marmaduke." It's very existence proves there is little hope for the future of humanity.

technomage1
08-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Well, then ... you might like to know there are some funny Family Circus parodies on line. I was going to embed a link to one, "The Other Family", but the content is really, really offensive so I'll let anyone interested find it on their own. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And while we're trying to thread-jack about worthless, irritatingly vapid cartoons, let's not forget "Marmaduke." It's very existence proves there is little hope for the future of humanity.

I can't stand "The Dinette Set". It makes no sense whatsoever and I usually just wind up skipping it in the Sunday paper because of this reason.

TJMAC77SP
08-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Which inspired an equally bad movie.....

BENDER56
08-16-2013, 07:36 PM
I can't stand "The Dinette Set". It makes no sense whatsoever and I usually just wind up skipping it in the Sunday paper because of this reason.

I skip right over "Rose is Rose." It's the same few themes rehashed over and over.

And the Browne family (Beetle Bailey, Hi and Lois, et al) has been phoning it in for years, now.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:00 PM
I skip right over "Rose is Rose." It's the same few themes rehashed over and over.

And the Browne family (Beetle Bailey, Hi and Lois, et al) has been phoning it in for years, now.

The only thing good about Beetle Bailey is the General's secretary but they don't use her enough.

I always thought Blondie was super hot and would look at it even though I thought it was dumb. Dennis the Menace's mom also would get a second glance from me.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Now these are funny!http://disinfo.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DysfunctionalFamilyCircus.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2065/DysfunctionalFamilyCircus1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gkmBC2Khtxw/TrsOGcAbmSI/AAAAAAABtkk/ID3GmCNQC18/s200/Family_Circus-2-1.jpg

TREYSLEDGE
08-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Nothing beats "Calvin and Hobbes". "Get Fuzzy" is pretty good.

I only see the comics in the Stars and Stripes right now and "Fort Knox" has got to be the stupidest strip I've ever read. I actually feel dumber after reading it, so I try avoid it. My Army buddies cringe when I mention this trite strip.