PDA

View Full Version : Combat Dining In Stories

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't have any good stories about Combat Dining Ins.

I only went to two of them in my entire career; the last one was a couple of months before I retired and was fun.

The best story I've heard was from a C-141 loadmaster who said that he went to one at Shaw AFB and saw a Brigadier General punch a TSgt in the mouth because the TSgt threw water on him.

BRUWIN
08-15-2013, 07:58 PM
The best story I've heard was from a C-141 loadmaster who said that he went to one at Shaw AFB and saw a Brigadier General punch a TSgt in the mouth because the TSgt threw water on him.

This is exactly why I felt tense during some of these. I was always worried one of my troops would take things too far and an officer would end up butt hurt.

Is it me or have Combat Dining-Ins have fallen by the way side these last 5 or so years?

OtisRNeedleman
08-15-2013, 08:10 PM
We had a Combat Dining-In at DLI, maybe 1997. Place: lawn of the CC's house. We were a small element and the lawn was pretty good-sized. We had a great time. Plenty of water around. Only had one officer in the element who was despised and I don't think anyone watered her. But everyone else got wet. I certainly got wet, and I wetted people.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 08:15 PM
All things considered, I'd have to say they are dumb events.

If you happen to be in one of those rare units that have camaraderie they can be fun but there is always a chance of things going to far.

Juggs
08-15-2013, 08:20 PM
This is exactly why I felt tense during some of these. I was always worried one of my troops would take things too far and an officer would end up butt hurt.

Is it me or have Combat Dining-Ins have fallen by the way side these last 5 or so years?

They have fallen victim to the AF getting overly but hurt by all things fun. Unless of course it's mandatory fun.

OtisRNeedleman
08-15-2013, 08:21 PM
All things considered, I'd have to say they are dumb events.

If you happen to be in one of those rare units that have camaraderie they can be fun but there is always a chance of things going to far.

Yeah, we were lucky in that respect. Our little element's level of camaraderie was pretty high. Our CC for most of my time there did a lot to foster it, too. One of my favorite pictures is the one of the Element, in dress blues, taken at the Sloat Monument on the Presidio of Monterey for the AF's 50th birthday in 1997. There was only one person in the Element I didn't like, and she was basically despised by all. Otherwise, it was always a pleasure to see fellow Element members, and you knew if you needed something an Element member would help.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I heard a story of two LTs at McGuire who got an ART 15s for running through the mess with blow up dolls in flight suits.

jpeters
08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
I went to one in 09 and both the MC’s got smashed before the thing even started. They were slurring, swaying, and could barely read the script. It got so bad that the Col just told them to go away and we just winged it the rest of the time.
Same dining in, our “guest” speaker was another Col from across the base. He was saying how great our unit was and all that stuff, but the day prior he did a brief for all the newcomers and totally forgot to mention us as part of the base…so I guess we were only important and special if he got invited to our events. Some SrA tried to call him out and make him do the grog bowl, everyone in attendance agreed, but of course the Col said no and kind of ruined the moment and everyone just started doing their own thing and blocked him out for the rest of his speech since he didn’t want to follow the rules.

Shaken1976
08-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I have only been to a Dining Out. It was fairly crazy. One spouse went nuts on her hubbys supervisor. She seemed to hold a grudge.

Kicker47
08-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Went to a good one on Guam back in 00-01 timeframe. Someone's wife had to pee and kept messing up the routine, so she kept having to go back up to the grog bowl and get soaked on the way up and back. I think she finally just said "screw it" and wet herself. Went and changed during the next break. That was the one with the godawful quest speaker...some history professor from the University of Guam, who babbled on and on for about 45 minutes. Eventually, the Colonel cut him off, saying everybody was going to piss themselves if he did stop soon.

AFcynic
08-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Call me crazy, but I have given the AF a lot of time in the past 14.5 years. When I have some off-duty time, I prefer to spend that with my family and close personal friends. The very last thing I want to do is go hangout with co-workers when I don't actually have to. Unless I've been mandated to attend said event.

I like my co-workers and all, but I want to keep my time to myself. If I'm going to get smashed, and act like an idiot, I'm going to do it with people who won't judge me for it. People who won't come to work the next week, and try to get me in trouble for calling someone a name to their face.

I have been mandated to attend a dining in, and I also had to pay for the ticket. It would have been a good time if the CC wasn't counting the amount of drinks people were having. He wasn't a drinker, and he sat there judging. Looked like a real jerk doing it. Naturally, the CCF and Chief weren't drinking because they didn't want to get on the boss' bad boy list.

So, have I let one event ruin this for me? Yes. I'll freely admit that I will now pre-judge every single one of these things on that single incident. There's always someone watching, and if you're the a-hole that comes up to me on Monday morning talking about the SrA I supervise getting hammered at the event, I will tell you to go f yourself. Free booze + a free ride home + the assumption that you're in a "relaxed environment" = a recipe for disaster. These things may have been fun 20+ years ago, but the leadership attitude and the AF culture of today has made these events a sh1tstorm for everyone involved. Just stay home, get tanked, and pass out on the kitchen floor with your pants off like normal people do.

20+Years
08-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I hear of people who have attended recent ones and they seem to be popular. At least they are trying to have fun. Not for me though. I haven't attended a dining in/out yet... and I will see how long I can maintain that record.

oldgrndr@
08-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Call me crazy, but I have given the AF a lot of time in the past 14.5 years. When I have some off-duty time, I prefer to spend that with my family and close personal friends. The very last thing I want to do is go hangout with co-workers when I don't actually have to. Unless I've been mandated to attend said event.

I like my co-workers and all, but I want to keep my time to myself. If I'm going to get smashed, and act like an idiot, I'm going to do it with people who won't judge me for it. People who won't come to work the next week, and try to get me in trouble for calling someone a name to their face.

I have been mandated to attend a dining in, and I also had to pay for the ticket. It would have been a good time if the CC wasn't counting the amount of drinks people were having. He wasn't a drinker, and he sat there judging. Looked like a real jerk doing it. Naturally, the CCF and Chief weren't drinking because they didn't want to get on the boss' bad boy list.

So, have I let one event ruin this for me? Yes. I'll freely admit that I will now pre-judge every single one of these things on that single incident. There's always someone watching, and if you're the a-hole that comes up to me on Monday morning talking about the SrA I supervise getting hammered at the event, I will tell you to go f yourself. Free booze + a free ride home + the assumption that you're in a "relaxed environment" = a recipe for disaster. These things may have been fun 20+ years ago, but the leadership attitude and the AF culture of today has made these events a sh1tstorm for everyone involved. Just stay home, get tanked, and pass out on the kitchen floor with your pants off like normal people do.

If you're crazy then I'm wearing the same straight jacket. Well enough said that I'll just say ditto all.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Why anyone would think it is a good idea to get drunk in front of your boss and coworkers is beyond me!

It is possible to go to parties and not get drunk.

Chief_KO
08-15-2013, 09:56 PM
I've been to 3 or 4, not a real big fan...seems like more of an officer thing...
Korea circa 1995. Small tactical unit on Osan, GP medium tents, etc. pulled the dueces and 5-tons in a semi circle with the headlights on for lighting. Got ready for the National Anthem, out came the guy with the CD, walked up to the boombox (which only had a cassette deck). Well, after the awkward minute our CC said "lets sing". lots of humming in the middle...rockets red glare....

Silverback
08-15-2013, 11:29 PM
There was a formal Dining In that I did not attend back in 2004/2005 time frame. I did however see the pictures that they emailed to the squadron. This Dining In looked like everyone had a blast. To finish off the evening , there was a grand piano and a sledge hammer. The pictures told the story. Everyone got a turn at smashing this piano and then they lit it on fire out back. Again, I did not attend this event, but everyone who did said it was amazing.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 11:41 PM
There was a formal Dining In that I did not attend back in 2004/2005 time frame. I did however see the pictures that they emailed to the squadron. This Dining In looked like everyone had a blast. To finish off the evening , there was a grand piano and a sledge hammer. The pictures told the story. Everyone got a turn at smashing this piano and then they lit it on fire out back. Again, I did not attend this event, but everyone who did said it was amazing.

Hitting a piano with a sledge hammer does sound fun!

RobotChicken
08-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Hitting a piano with a sledge hammer does sound fun!

"Did they burn books too and cook marshmallows over the fire?"

imported_chipotleboy
08-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Went to one Combat Dining-In back in 1997 at McClellan AFB. After we were done with the "bang-bang" games, we had a guest speaker who was an Army infantryman who received the Medal of Honor in Vietnam. He put our childish games back in perspective by talking about how war sucked, there was no fun in what he did, and that how he got his medal was that he was so outraged over the suffering of his men at the hands of the enemies, he was willing to brave machine gun fire to put a stop to it. It got quiet after that. And after the festivities, the SPs were waiting down the road to catch folks DUI.

The last Dining-Out I went to was in 2000 in an ACC unit. Fairly childish.

Best military formal event I went to was an Army military ball. Those guys have fun.

Last time I wore my mess dress was when I got married in 2002. I didn't retire until 2009.

I sold my mess dress to a young Captain who just had his first child. Also sold my Lt Col rank to the newest Lt Col in the building. Price for each was a CFC donation to a charity of their choice.

Vrake
08-16-2013, 12:43 AM
I sold my mess dress to a young Captain who just had his first child. Also sold my Lt Col rank to the newest Lt Col in the building. Price for each was a CFC donation to a charity of their choice.

I was going to give you grief about selling till I read the last sentence... That's pretty cool.

On the Navy side I quit going when they worried more about offending then having fun.

BENDER56
08-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Went to a few in my time. I remember one with LRS at SJAFB where TRANS won the water fight. A few days before the event they told CE that one of their vehicles was due for PE. It was a fire truck. They drove it up and hosed everyone down (with the hose set to the fan-spray setting -- and not directly at us.)

The best ever was an SF squadron that had three separate numbered flights. Each flight barricaded their Area of Operations in the E-club before the event. I, as 1st Sgt for one of the flights, contacted the other two beforehand and said I needed their guidons for the flag set-up. They actually just handed them over to me. So our flight waited until everyone else was in the club when we marched in en masse carrying their guidons. I am not s#!tting you when I say that there was an immediate brawl as the members of the other flights tried to retrieve their flags. We somehow managed to get them into our enclosure (we had razor wire and a chain-link gate) and the unofficial theme of the night became capture-the-flag as we continually had to repel attacks on our AO. Oh, and former CMSAF Gaylor was our guest speaker.

TJMAC77SP
08-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I have only been to a Dining Out. It was fairly crazy. One spouse went nuts on her hubbys supervisor. She seemed to hold a grudge.

Somewhere around 1999-2000 Hascom held a 'combat dining out'. What a frapping joke. It was halloween celebrated during the summer. Bunch of wannabe 'warriors' dressed up like they came straight from the set of Expendables 3.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:08 PM
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/100421-F-0027W-004.jpg

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:09 PM
http://www.wiredawg.net/photos/5162.jpg

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:11 PM
http://www.514amw.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/2013%5C04%5C130417-F-SL495-099.jpg

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:14 PM
http://www.travis.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/070427-F-5294O-7634.jpg

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:16 PM
http://www.usafawebguy.com/files/P20130503-1147.jpg?1367698543

Sergeant eNYgma
08-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Never been to one, but based on some of these comments I'm no sure if I want to go lol...

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Never been to one, but based on some of these comments I'm no sure if I want to go lol...

Unless you have a close knit duty section, don't bother!

Hell, I've been on deployments that were made bearable by good people, so a dining-in can be a lot of fun if you go with a bunch of people that you enjoy being around.

imported_chipotleboy
08-16-2013, 10:24 PM

I guess on the positive side, even if you're only served MREs, it's still better than the crap served by the base club at a regular Dining Out.

TREYSLEDGE
08-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Haven't been to a dining-out/in for a while. But, we had fun one at Little Rock back in 2000. It was combat dining-out and everyone was warned far in advance of the type of activities to expect. There was a obstacle course made that you had to complete before hitting the grog bowl. The president of the mess and the guest speaker instigated alot of food throwing and water gun barrages. We didn't get halfway through the script and most people didn't eat, using their food as grenades instead. Some spouses spent most of the night in the restroom to avoid the flying ordnance of mashed potatoes and water soaked rolls. The best part was we had it inside the C-130 wash rack hangar so afterward we just had the fire department hose down the floors to clean up.

I agree with many that todays overly sensative Air Force culture would make hard, but not impossible, to hold a fun dining-in/out.

IYAAYAS
08-18-2013, 10:50 PM
We had a Dining Out last year that was a great success. It was only our Sq and it was a ton of fun. The Wing just did a Dining In. The tradition in not dead.

LogDog
08-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Our base had a Combat Dining-Out and I was with our medical group. Our nurses came prepared knowing there would be food flying through the air. When the food started flying they calmly and in unison opened their umbrellas and shielded themselves from most of the food.

js7799
08-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Never been to one. Plan on keeping it that way.