PDA

View Full Version : SMA advocates changes to TA

ImpliedConsent
08-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Changes coming for Tuition Assistance (http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130813/EDU02/308130017/Changes-coming-Tuition-Assistance) - I had high hopes for this SMA, but he has tenaciously dwindled down to being a complete moron:

"“Is it feasible to establish a policy that does not allow soldiers to enroll in tuition assistance until they have completed one year of service at their first duty station?” “I think that is reasonable,” Chandler said.

'Scuse me? So, I got a bunch of motivated Warriors who have had a deployment (-or 2-unlike our coveted SMA), on their first duty station and they cannot get TA?

Chandler said shortly after TA was temporarily suspended in March, he received an email from a soldier who was upset with the fact that after five years in the Army, he was only two classes away from finishing his master’s degree, and that the Army had interrupted his plan. “It’s commendable that he has been able to do this, but is this really something we should expect from our soldiers? What has this soldier been doing for the Army?” “We’ll be supportive in helping soldiers meet their educational goals, but it’s tough for me to rationalize that a person who has been in the Army for five years has been able to attain not only a bachelor’s degree, but is only two classes away from a master’s degree.” “I think we may want to look at tying tuition assistance to certain benchmarks for rank,” Chandler said.

As one of my Soldiers used to say: "You mad Brah"? Would he rather see some non-deploying CSM obtain a Masters in Divinity? I get what he's saying here - they're trying to save TA money - but asking the question - What has this Soldier been doing for the Army? - Probably deploying - going to school after missions - improving himself. This dude is the most hypocritical SEA that I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. "As long as I got mine..." should be his mantra.

Pullinteeth
08-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Chandler said shortly after TA was temporarily suspended in March, he received an email from a soldier who was upset with the fact that after five years in the Army, he was only two classes away from finishing his master’s degree, and that the Army had interrupted his plan. “It’s commendable that he has been able to do this, but is this really something we should expect from our soldiers? What has this soldier been doing for the Army?” “We’ll be supportive in helping soldiers meet their educational goals, but it’s tough for me to rationalize that a person who has been in the Army for five years has been able to attain not only a bachelor’s degree, but is only two classes away from a master’s degree.” “I think we may want to look at tying tuition assistance to certain benchmarks for rank,” Chandler said.

I'm not saying it IS the case but how does he know that this soldier didn't come in with a bachelor's degree or just a few credits shy of one? It IS possible to aggressivly pursue one's education AND do a good job too....

With that said, I am now seeing how making people wait one measely year to get TA would be the end of the world...

20+Years
08-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Waiting a year would not be unreasonable. You have to consider, they go to Basic, then Tech School, then get settled in at a new duty station and start CDCs... I bet the percentage that start in thier first year is realatively small anyhow.

MisterBen
08-16-2013, 12:48 AM
In the name of saving money in TA, his arguments and proposed solutions are ineffective. He should praise that troop for seeking higher education and the presumption that he is not competent in his MOS due to his focus on studies is callous. All my degrees have been paid by the GI Bill and TA and higher education has made me a better Soldier and worker in my specialty.

Creaminess
08-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Chandler's a douche. I've been saying it since he took over as SMA. Glad he's proving me right.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 04:41 PM
In the name of saving money in TA, his arguments and proposed solutions are ineffective. He should praise that troop for seeking higher education and the presumption that he is not competent in his MOS due to his focus on studies is callous. All my degrees have been paid by the GI Bill and TA and higher education has made me a better Soldier and worker in my specialty.

HEY!! Don't muddy the waters with your pesky logic and reason!

CON50582
08-18-2013, 04:38 PM
They made this mess by making degrees mandatory for promotion, now sleep in your bed Army or remove the degree requirement. There is no need to have a degree to lead Soldiers at any level Officer or enlisted and if YOU are going to make it a requirement Army then YOU need to pay for all of it Army.

Stop trying to make us like the Officer Corps.