PDA

View Full Version : Another Wing Bites The Dust

BOSS302
08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/13/air-force-nuclear-missile-unit-fails-key-security-test/

An Air Force unit responsible for dozens of nuclear missiles failed a recent safety and security inspection -- a setback that comes just months after the Air Force temporarily sidelined 17 officers in connection with a prior inspection flop.

The latest failure was recorded by the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont. According to Air Force Global Strike Command, the unit received an "unsatisfactory" rating during the inspection in early August after personnel made "tactical-level errors" during an exercise.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/13/air-force-nuclear-missile-unit-fails-key-security-test/#ixzz2bskFhePb

fufu
08-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Never seemed to be a problem until we starting focusing on:

PT
Bake Sales
Volunteerism
Square Filling

But, what do I know. I was stationed in Minot (99-05), we performed our mission flawlessly during OEF/OIF.

Kicker47
08-13-2013, 08:39 PM
And here we go again...

:numbness:

Silverback
08-13-2013, 08:47 PM
And here we go again...

:numbness:

I am sure we are going to have more nuclear related CBTs now. Who knows, they might start teaching this at basic.

Kicker47
08-13-2013, 08:51 PM
I'll be honest...when I read the headline, I thought for sure it was the ol' Minot gang again...

Kinda disappointed that it was Malmstrom, as they had a reputation for being the "quiet" Missile Wing...usually stayed out of trouble...heard only good things from friends stationed there.

efmbman
08-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Being a 22-year Army guy I'm not sure what would be comparable. Seriously, from a practical no-spin point of view... how big a deal is this?

imported_chipotleboy
08-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Being a 22-year Army guy I'm not sure what would be comparable. Seriously, from a practical no-spin point of view... how big a deal is this?

In the old SAC days, the IG would have brought Rock Hudson along as the Wing Commander in waiting. He would have taken over for the guy who failed, who would take the return flight with the IG to explain to the SAC Commander why he let down the free world.

But then McPeak came along and now when nuclear wings fail, it's another justification for why we need more F-22s and leather jackets for the 'manly men'.

Rear view mirror
08-13-2013, 09:59 PM
I failed an IG as a commander. It was one policy. Everything else was squared away. I suspect it was more political than functional. So, to me, a failed inspection is not in and of itself a big deal.

Gonzo432
08-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Can we get Weird Al Yankovic to do this like Queen's Another One Bites the Dust!

OtisRNeedleman
08-13-2013, 10:32 PM
I failed an IG as a commander. It was one policy. Everything else was squared away. I suspect it was more political than functional. So, to me, a failed inspection is not in and of itself a big deal.

Indeed. When I was at Goodfellow saw us fail an ATC inspection, an MEI, if I remember correctly. Goodfellow had, a few years prior, been transferred to ATC from Security Service, and there was a good deal of anti-ATC sentiment still around. Believe that was a "political" failure, too. We passed the re-inspection. Guess Randolph figured we "got our minds right".

As a side note, there was one particular lieutenant colonel on the ATC IG team who had all the clearances and accesses for the secure training facilities, and he was a holy terror. I remember him giving me a bit of a whack. A few years later I'm doing a meet-and-greet at Randolph before my PCS there. Met the new boss...yup, you guessed it. It was HIM. He had to sit me down and detraumatize me. Actually, he was a pretty good guy, just doing his duty at the time.

technomage1
08-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Never seemed to be a problem until we starting focusing on:

PT
Bake Sales
Volunteerism
Square Filling

But, what do I know. I was stationed in Minot (99-05), we performed our mission flawlessly during OEF/OIF.

I agree. Our problem isn't the lack of manning or the war. It's the lack of focus on our core missions and competencies.

UH1FE
08-14-2013, 12:32 AM
The wing commanders will still get promoted. It means absolutely nothing.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
08-14-2013, 01:51 AM
I agree. Our problem isn't the lack of manning or the war. It's the lack of focus on our core missions and competencies.

Our wha and huh?

grimreaper
08-14-2013, 03:54 AM
The wing commanders will still get promoted. It means absolutely nothing.

Unless he fails his PT test.

(You knew that was coming)

Drackore
08-14-2013, 06:52 AM
This, this, this, AND THIS!

PT is out of control. CBTs are out of control. Box filling, "well rounded person", education emphasis, volunteerism, bake sales, "mentorship" seminars - all out of FUCKING CONTROL!

The current crop of idiots running the show is out of god damn fucking control. Bottom line, and it is offical: The lunatics are now running the asylum. I had extremely high hopes that our new CSAF and our now SecDef would start bringing sanity back to the ranks...but they are just brought way more of the same.

Soon we'll have pre-WW2 manning levels as far as blue suiters go, but way too many civilians and general officers. Make sense out of that! All these failed inspections and failed missions..but PT is still the end all-be all??? And these idiot E9 fuck tards are going to write aritcles for their base e-pages about filling boxes and being well-rounded and feeling they are real leaders? Maybe I should just let the MEB boot me. I am getting more and more disgusted of this Air Force every day.

You know...the only two reasons I want to say in are:

1) My kid. I want his next four years of high school to be stable and safe, and
2) The kids I supervise. I want to do as much as I can to keep their lives as stable and sensible. Not many people around where I am at will look out for their best interests if I leave. They were fed to the wolves and thrown under the bus before I arrived. Now they are pretty much left alone to do their job and their morale is up. Mine is down, but at least I feel good knowing that they are happy with what they are doing.

My first base was Malmstrom. We were the shit. Minot, FE Warren...they couldn't hold a candle to Malmstrom. I even took pride these past few years knowing that all these problems were happening and Malmstrom wasn't one of them. Now I come to realize that that the Air Force is just one huge cluster fuck and the problem isn't us lowly little worker bees...the problem is ever god damn General, Colonel, CMSgt, and civilian that works for the Air Force. Fire them all, across the board. Burn every AFI and start the fuck over. Extreme? Yes. But I'll bet you a shiny penny it fucking works.

CJSmith
08-14-2013, 07:47 AM
My first base was Malmstrom. We were the shit. Minot, FE Warren...they couldn't hold a candle to Malmstrom. I even took pride these past few years knowing that all these problems were happening and Malmstrom wasn't one of them.

Cause they all PCS'd to Malstrom from Minot.

imported_chipotleboy
08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
In the old SAC days, the IG would have brought Rock Hudson along as the Wing Commander in waiting. He would have taken over for the guy who failed, who would take the return flight with the IG to explain to the SAC Commander why he let down the free world.

But then McPeak came along and now when nuclear wings fail, it's another justification for why we need more F-22s and leather jackets for the 'manly men'.

I was sent TDY to a geographically isolated unit to be a detachment commander until AFPC could generate a replacement for my predecessor who had to retire on short notice. I knew there was an MSET inspection coming up, and I made sure we could do what we could to get ready, but I was already cleaning up other issues like legacy military justice cases, unpaid bills, bookkeeping not done, etc... My predecessor had de-emphasized compliance to pursue his pet programs, but I knew my replacement would have problems. Sure enough, when the inspectors came on her watch, she failed. She blamed it on me. I was only there for four months and had cleaned up everything else, but she had been the wing commander's exec and was being put on the fast track. I think it had a part to play in me not getting my own detachment as promised by the Wing CC when I came up for PCS. Because of that, I turned down several offers to return to that unit as an FGO and a GS.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Malmstrom was also my first base back during the Cold War. One Easter Sunday I was on the main gate during a No Nuke protest and I can remember one of those scruffy looking hippies yelling, "We don't need all these missiles!"

Back in 1984 I think that old hippie's statement was flat out wrong but in 2013 he is a lot closer to being right.

We've got way too many of the damn things. We might need to keep an ace or two in the hole but I think we can eliminate most of the silo based ICBM fleet right now.

The Air Force is having hard time keeping up with all the changes the world is going through.

20+Years
08-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Malmstrom was also my first base back during the Cold War. One Easter Sunday I was on the main gate during a No Nuke protest and I can remember one of those scruffy looking hippies yelling, "We don't need all these missiles!"

Back in 1984 I think that old hippie's statement was flat out wrong but in 2013 he is a lot closer to being right.

We've got way too many of the damn things. We might need to keep an ace or two in the hole but I think we can eliminate most of the silo based ICBM fleet right now.

The Air Force is having hard time keeping up with all the changes the world is going through.

Maybe, maybe not. The number of missles we stocked is easily enough to wipe most life off this planet. If you remember though, "Star Wars" and other programs were about how many missles can you shoot down as they are travelling.

The number we need to maintain directly relates to how many we can get through. If we have only one or two, and they are shot down in route, we lose.

Although I personally haven't seen it, I am sure people smarter than me have developed (or are working on) a stealth ICBM. Once we have that technology in the field, I would agree, we could maintain much less.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-14-2013, 01:41 PM
. Maybe, maybe not. The number of missles we stocked is easily enough to wipe most life off this planet. If you remember though, "Star Wars" and other programs were about how many missles can you shoot down as they are travelling.

The number we need to maintain directly relates to how many we can get through. If we have only one or two, and they are shot down in route, we lose.

Although I personally haven't seen it, I am sure people smarter than me have developed (or are working on) a stealth ICBM. Once we have that technology in the field, I would agree, we could maintain much less.

That kind of scenario doesn't exist in the real world. Remember, that "Star Wars" was our strategy to lure the Soviets into an arms race that would collapse their already weak economy. Plus, during the Cold War the Soviet Union had the world's only Anti-Ballistic Missile net (a very nascent one) protecting Moscow. They planed on detonating nukes in front of our warheads that were re-entering the atmosphere.

President Reagan pushed for Star Wars and it scared the hell out of the Soviets. However, we are only now beginning to field systems that can take out ICBMs in the boost phase and interceptors that kill re-entering warheads without nuking them.

I think we could safely make substantial reductions to our nuclear missile wings right now.

Kicker47
08-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Very, very rare. I don't think I've ever seen someone do that, at least on the Maintenance side of things.

20+Years
08-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Hey, my information comes straight from a documentary named Wargames. I know what I am talking about. I watched it twice.

This dude hacked into a computer named Joshua and played a game named Global Thermonuclear War. Whole world almost got destroyed. You should watch the documentary and get educated.

Pullinteeth
08-14-2013, 02:36 PM

No, no, no....they were "deliberately developed" from Minot to Malstrom...

Kicker47
08-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey, my information comes straight from a documentary named Wargames. I know what I am talking about. I watched it twice.

This dude hacked into a computer named Joshua and played a game named Global Thermonuclear War. Whole world almost got destroyed. You should watch the documentary and get educated.

No...The W.O.P.R. up there is Red-X'd for overdue inspections...

tiredretiredE7
08-14-2013, 03:07 PM
My first base was Malmstrom. We were the shit. Minot, FE Warren...they couldn't hold a candle to Malmstrom. I even took pride these past few years knowing that all these problems were happening and Malmstrom wasn't one of them. Now I come to realize that that the Air Force is just one huge cluster fuck and the problem isn't us lowly little worker bees...the problem is ever god damn General, Colonel, CMSgt, and civilian that works for the Air Force. Fire them all, across the board. Burn every AFI and start the fuck over. Extreme? Yes. But I'll bet you a shiny penny it fucking works.

It seems they have failed every NSI since 2008:
http://news.yahoo.com/another-nuclear-stumble-air-force-raises-doubts-072217052.html

"Kowalski said his command's inspector general has conducted 14 such inspections since early 2010 with just two failures — both involving the 341st wing. The first was in February 2010. The second was this week.

The 341st also failed a safety and security inspection in 2008."

CJSmith
08-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Very, very rare. I don't think I've ever seen someone do that, at least on the Maintenance side of things.

It was a joke.

Kicker47
08-14-2013, 03:18 PM
It was a joke.

Sorry, jokes are prohibited in the Nuclear Enterprise.

:joke:

Absinthe Anecdote
08-14-2013, 03:39 PM
We used to live in fear of NSI teams! At guard mount our Flight Chief would tell us how advanced elements of the NSI teams would secretly arrive at the base to observe us with high powered zoom lenses and sophisticated electronics.

I of course was only delighted to help spread this fear and would start rumors about seeing scarecrows with big cameras in wheat fields.

I even jotted down a convincing list of "observations" on a legal pad and then crumpled it slightly and left it laying on the floor of the ECP bathroom. It had fake dates and times of patrols napping or hanging around the same spot too long smoking cigarettes.

Big mistake because our Flight Chief swallowed it hook line and sinker. He started checking our mileage and had the area supervisor up our ass even further than before.

My only victory was scarring the hell out of the NCOs.

I don't know how the hell I made it 23 years because until I made TSgt, I was a nothing but a prankster.

NERVA
08-24-2013, 04:41 AM
It seems they have failed every NSI since 2008:
http://news.yahoo.com/another-nuclear-stumble-air-force-raises-doubts-072217052.html

"Kowalski said his command's inspector general has conducted 14 such inspections since early 2010 with just two failures — both involving the 341st wing. The first was in February 2010. The second was this week.

The 341st also failed a safety and security inspection in 2008."

The 341st passed a NSI in 2011.

Drackore
08-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Another thing I am wondering. Are they failing to get high vis on the low manning/high requirement problems? Manning cuts to the bone but nothing else was ever cut? Job requirements, mission requirements, duty requirements - nothing every cut but manning and dollars? Either intentional or cause/effect?