PDA

View Full Version : IG Inspection Rules of Engagement

Mcjohn1118
08-13-2013, 06:29 PM
***RANT ON***OK, so we are going through an IG inspection. A few weeks ago it was the Readiness Inspection and for the next two weeks it's the Compliance Inspection. We all know inspections are a big pain and we all get the rules when inspectors come to your section. For example, ensure you greet them, don't argue with them, etc. However, unless the Air Force Inspection Agency (AFIA) is around to inspect the inspectors, there seems to be no rules for the IG members. This has got to be the worst team I've ever dealt with. I have some experiance in this since I was a certified DoD Inspector a few years back. Anyway, for the in-brief, the IG did not have any slides for the Wing CC with a schedule of events. In fact, this is day 2 of the inspection and still no schedule on what units or sections are going to be inspected. For the one section I know was inspected, the IG inspector was late; both days. Oh, and since this is AFMC HQ, it's not like the inspector is TDY and got lost. It just appears that these inspectors are going out of their way to be disrespectful. ***Rant Off***
Feel free to blast me because I don't have interaction with all inspectors so if may just be one bad apple. That's OK, I can take it.

BRUWIN
08-13-2013, 06:55 PM
That's pretty sad really...considering they know people's careers depend on this. Stay cool and maintain your inspection posture. They sound like a "do as I say not as I do" inspection team that could possibly lull you into a false sense of complacency.

Gonzo432
08-13-2013, 07:00 PM
***RANT ON***OK, so we are going through an IG inspection. A few weeks ago it was the Readiness Inspection and for the next two weeks it's the Compliance Inspection. We all know inspections are a big pain and we all get the rules when inspectors come to your section. For example, ensure you greet them, don't argue with them, etc. However, unless the Air Force Inspection Agency (AFIA) is around to inspect the inspectors, there seems to be no rules for the IG members. This has got to be the worst team I've ever dealt with. I have some experiance in this since I was a certified DoD Inspector a few years back. Anyway, for the in-brief, the IG did not have any slides for the Wing CC with a schedule of events. In fact, this is day 2 of the inspection and still no schedule on what units or sections are going to be inspected. For the one section I know was inspected, the IG inspector was late; both days. Oh, and since this is AFMC HQ, it's not like the inspector is TDY and got lost. It just appears that these inspectors are going out of their way to be disrespectful. ***Rant Off***
Feel free to blast me because I don't have interaction with all inspectors so if may just be one bad apple. That's OK, I can take it.

Not only do you have a good reason to rant, but you ranted a good rant. Rant on McJohn, rant on!!

A few more rants could spawn a "Worst IG Inspection/Inspector EVER" thread. Let me tell you, back in 1996 this IDIOT... I'll save for later.

Calmo70
08-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Being a bit of an old fart - I'm not having a lot of emphathy for you. After going through too many to count SAC no-notice IG inspections - both readiness and compliance (although in SAC really everything was compliance) - what you're experiencing doesn't really sound all that bad.

Mcjohn1118
08-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Being a bit of an old fart - I'm not having a lot of emphathy for you. After going through too many to count SAC no-notice IG inspections - both readiness and compliance (although in SAC really everything was compliance) - what you're experiencing doesn't really sound all that bad.

Calmo70, I've been in for 20+. It's not that I'm looking for empathy. I've been through many inspections; DNSIs, NSIs, LNSIs, ORIs, etc. I've also been a part of DoD inspection teams. Our inspection has been scheduled for months now. To not even have slides prepared for the Wing CC inbrief is disrepectful. As for No-Notice inspections...yes the Wings don't have notice, but the inspection teams do and they should be prepared. There has always been a schedule fo events once they hit the ground so the units know. It's just a courtesy. Now, I've never been through a SAC inspection so I can't comment on if inspectors were plain old a-holes or not, but this group here...

Calmo70
08-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Calmo70, I've been in for 20+. It's not that I'm looking for empathy. I've been through many inspections; DNSIs, NSIs, LNSIs, ORIs, etc. I've also been a part of DoD inspection teams. Our inspection has been scheduled for months now. To not even have slides prepared for the Wing CC inbrief is disrepectful. As for No-Notice inspections...yes the Wings don't have notice, but the inspection teams do and they should be prepared. There has always been a schedule fo events once they hit the ground so the units know. It's just a courtesy. Now, I've never been through a SAC inspection so I can't comment on if inspectors were plain old a-holes or not, but this group here...

Just saying - I was in 28 years (retired in 1998) - and I was also on the USAFE/IG in the late 80's. Don't recall ever providing a wing with a schedule of events - certainly I didn't at the unit level I was inspecting. And, in SAC - the whole purpose of the IG was to be a-holes - that was the SAC mentality - and it worked. Until you've experienced a SAC IG that ended with the Wing/CC, DCM, and DO all fired and leaving on the same plane as the IG - then you will know what a true a-hole inspection can be like.

Calmo70
08-13-2013, 08:20 PM
And this is why you didn't hear too much of this happening in SAC days.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/13/air-force-nuclear-missile-unit-fails-key-security-test/

And if it did - refer to my previous email about Wing/CC, DCM, DO firings.

Giant Voice
08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
And this is why you didn't hear too much of this happening in SAC days.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/13/air-force-nuclear-missile-unit-fails-key-security-test/

And if it did - refer to my previous email about Wing/CC, DCM, DO firings.

Those leaders won't get fired. They'll get promoted to the pentagon to enforce the policies they didn't.

tiredretiredE7
08-13-2013, 08:29 PM
***RANT ON*** It just appears that these inspectors are going out of their way to be disrespectful. ***Rant Off***

This is an indicator of how the AF has become full of careerists at HQ. Just another reason I retired.

efmbman
08-13-2013, 09:11 PM
...for the in-brief, the IG did not have any slides for the Wing CC with a schedule of events...

This stuck out for me. I was on the command inspection team for the XVIII Airborne Corps and this was not negotiable. The in brief serves to make the command and key leadership aware of what is going to happen, where it is going to happen and when it is going to happen. As you stated in a follow-up post, this not happening is disrepectful.