PDA

View Full Version : Waist measurement.....all in the eye of the beholder?

Port Dawg
08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Had just recently read a story about a guy who was measured 1 week before his PT test at a 40" waist.....he said it rocked his world a little bit, and then when he took the actual test, he was measured at 37.5" !!! This is what kills me,

Had a guy in my unit do the exact same thing!!! He measured with our PTL a week before his test at a 41" waist! Then everyone thinking he was gonna fail, measured at a 37.5" waist!! I was like OMG guy measured bigger than me, how is this possible to go down this much?

I have always felt that the waist measurement was B.S. but now I know and it pisses me off royally!!! I measured at around a 37.5 last time I tested, darn near a 38. Now granted the last 6-7 months I worked my butt off to get back in shape b/c I was slacking!

Anybody got thoughts on this?? What gives? Is it personal bias, or where they measure you? Is there a trick I don't know about.....such a shame.

Silverback
08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
The waist measurement is a little tricky. Fortunately for your coworkers, it worked out in theirfavor. The both did better than what theywere expecting to do. Now flip it around and imagine that they measured 37.5 inches before and then taped at 40 inches for the real test. I don't agree with the tape measure system but the best way to prevent failing is staying in shape all year long. It is definitely easier to put on the weight than to take it off.

jpeters
08-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Same situation happened to me. I have been a 34 at every test for the past three years. I usually stay the same all year round so I have never worried about it. Just to try and see what my score was going to be I went in to get a tape the day before, 34 just like I thought. They day of the test, different person taping, he taped me at a 39! I almost shit myself when he said that. I have never been that close to failing a PT test. So I don’t like the measurement unless it’s the same person taping everyone that way you know they are going to do it the same every time.

Capt Alfredo
08-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Had just recently read a story about a guy who was measured 1 week before his PT test at a 40" waist.....he said it rocked his world a little bit, and then when he took the actual test, he was measured at 37.5" !!! This is what kills me,

Had a guy in my unit do the exact same thing!!! He measured with our PTL a week before his test at a 41" waist! Then everyone thinking he was gonna fail, measured at a 37.5" waist!! I was like OMG guy measured bigger than me, how is this possible to go down this much?

I have always felt that the waist measurement was B.S. but now I know and it pisses me off royally!!! I measured at around a 37.5 last time I tested, darn near a 38. Now granted the last 6-7 months I worked my butt off to get back in shape b/c I was slacking!

Anybody got thoughts on this?? What gives? Is it personal bias, or where they measure you? Is there a trick I don't know about.....such a shame.

My most recent tape, the PTL puts the tape on, I look down and say, "uh, dude, you're not in the right place. You should be here." Points at proper spot *above* hip bone, not *over* the bone. PTL: "Oh, you're right." Me: "You're damn right I'm right."

If I hadn't spoken up, I very well may have auto-failed. As it was, I ended up with a mid-80s score and no worries. If you speak up after the fact or are unsure of the AFI, you could easily be burned by an incompetent FAC or PTL.

imnohero
08-14-2013, 12:43 AM
you could easily be burned by an incompetent FAC or PTL.

Not meant to be argumentative, isn't that why big blue decided that fit testers would be "professionals" at the HAWC (or wherever)? So that this exact thing wouldn't happen?

Capt Alfredo
08-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Not meant to be argumentative, isn't that why big blue decided that fit testers would be "professionals" at the HAWC (or wherever)? So that this exact thing wouldn't happen?

No, they did that because unit PTLs were "hooking people up" and cheating. I had good and horrible experiences with the "professional" FACs over the years: at one base I always taped an inch or two less than I "should" have, and at another base they completely screwed it up and wouldn't even discuss it like reasonable human beings. I failed a test due to their incompetence and vowed "never again" and memorized the AFI backwards and forwards and even brought a .pdf copy with me on my iPhone just in case they screwed up again. The stakes are too high.

imnohero
08-14-2013, 12:57 AM
I see, so instead of "cheating", you have to deal with incompetence. Wonderful (sarcasm)

I know people hate it when retired guys say, "I'm so f'ing glad I'm retired" but in this case I really am very happy to not have to deal with the whole fitness cluster-f***. I mean, I've been out since 2009, and if anything it's gotten worse.

Silverback
08-14-2013, 02:32 AM
I see, so instead of "cheating", you have to deal with incompetence. Wonderful (sarcasm)

I know people hate it when retired guys say, "I'm so f'ing glad I'm retired" but in this case I really am very happy to not have to deal with the whole fitness cluster-f***. I mean, I've been out since 2009, and if anything it's gotten worse.

Yes, it got a whole worse starting July 2010. That is when the new PT requirements came into effect. You definitely got out before all of the craziness.

sandsjames
08-14-2013, 02:59 AM

I'm so f'ing glad I'm retired!.

71Fish
08-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Sounds more like the measurement is in the eye of the beer holder.

20+Years
08-14-2013, 01:10 PM
I have always taped around 34. In my last three tests (6 months apart), it was 34.5, 36.5, 34. When the dude said 36.5 I was thinking WTF? I hadn't changed anything about me, weight the same as ever... plain and simple, it was the taper. We are toying with peoples careers on this issue and its utter BS.

I am torn on civilians in the FAC role. I have seen some that were great, call it like it is, period. But I have seen a few that were "power hungry". The worst I saw was one overweight civvie that was super critical on push-ups. People were doing like 35... score, 22. If you could do just over your minimum you were screwed unless you had perfect form. In my unit we were going by, "decide the number you want to complete, then add 6 or 7 to be safe".