PDA

View Full Version : The Office Fridge

Chief_KO
08-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Everyone knows the rules: If it's yours, put your name on it and no one will take it. If it has no name, then it is available for anyone/everyone (typically condiments).

Night shift: Airman bought a large combo pizza from Pizza Hut, ate a slice then put in the crew fridge (with his name prominently written on the box).
Next day over half the pizza was eaten by day shift. Airmen asked the day shift who ate his pizza...no one fessed up.

Next week, Airman bought another large combo pizza from Pizza Hut, let it "ferment" in the trunk of his car for a few days. After telling us on nights what he's done, he again placed it in the crew fridge (again with his name written on name on the box). Next day a few slices were missing (day crew)...later he found out who when they had "a tummy ache."

Anyone have any fridge (or other food/work stories)??

Silverback
08-13-2013, 12:17 AM
I don't have any stories like this. The biggest thing that happens to the community refrigerator is that people leave their lunch in there and then forget about it. I have had to clear out the refrigerator on more than occasion and some of the food has been in there so long that it is like a school science project gone bad.

ConfusedAirman
08-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Good for him but if I was on dayshift I would have thrown the first pizza out if it was taking up too much room in the frig to begin with. End of shift - remove your stuff. You don't get to leave a week's worth of meals in the frig 24/7.

OtisRNeedleman
08-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Second tour in Korea we were doing joint operations with the Koreans. One ironclad rule...NO KIMCHI ON THE OPERATIONS FLOOR AND ESPECIALLY NO KIMCHI IN THE FLIGHT FRIDGE! Far as I know that rule was never broken. I'd have thrown it out myself if I'd found any kimchi in the flight fridge.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Second tour in Korea we were doing joint operations with the Koreans. One ironclad rule...NO KIMCHI ON THE OPERATIONS FLOOR AND ESPECIALLY NO KIMCHI IN THE FLIGHT FRIDGE! Far as I know that rule was never broken. I'd have thrown it out myself if I'd found any kimchi in the flight fridge.

Was this in the KCOIC? I can't imagine anyone trying to tell those Korean Warrant Officers that sat behind the S&W to get rid of their kimchi.

I made buddies with those guys by giving them a bottle of Johnny Walker on Christmas Eve. Best move I ever made because they understood exactly what was going on every time something happened up on the DMZ.

Besides, the KCOIC reeked to begin with and was the dirtiest watch floor I've ever been on. I have no idea where all the dirt and grime came from. No air filters in the HVAC system?

There was no sink in the break room and they had those filthy buckets to dump leftover ramen broth and coffee into.

I had a buddy who did manage to make it smell worse in there; on his last day at work he went to the break room and dumped a can of sardines into a plate and put them into the microwave on high and then walked out of the building forever.

The place smelled like sardines for the rest of my tour, probably still does!

OtisRNeedleman
08-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Was this in the KCOIC? I can't imagine anyone trying to tell those Korean Warrant Officers that sat behind the S&W to get rid of their kimchi.

I made buddies with those guys by giving them a bottle of Johnny Walker on Christmas Eve. Best move I ever made because they understood exactly what was going on every time something happened up on the DMZ.

Besides, the KCOIC reeked to begin with and was the dirtiest watch floor I've ever been on. I have no idea where all the dirt and grime came from. No air filters in the HVAC system?

There was no sink in the break room and they had those filthy buckets to dump leftover ramen broth and coffee into.

I had a buddy who did manage to make it smell worse in there; on his last day at work he went to the break room and dumped a can of sardines into a plate and put them into the microwave on high and then walked out of the building forever.

The place smelled like sardines for the rest of my tour, probably still does!

Nope, 82-83 in the HTACC. No ROK warrant officers on flights, just ROK lieutenants and captains as ROK flight commanders.

ttribe
08-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Good for him but if I was on dayshift I would have thrown the first pizza out if it was taking up too much room in the frig to begin with. End of shift - remove your stuff. You don't get to leave a week's worth of meals in the frig 24/7.

Had to get mean with a crew chief who put a whole case of pepsi, a couple of frozen meals and a big bag of chips in the airplane fridge. Damn near took up the whole box. A sixer and the frozens was plenty for the 8 hour ride. Ultimately we wound up having room for the case of soda. While he was sleeping in the bunk during the entire flight the crew and passengers put a large dent in his sodas. Told the passengers to help themselves. It was worth it to hear him bitch and cuss about who took his stuff. He probably didn't learn a thing from that except flight crew can be pr1cks when we want to be.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Had to get mean with a crew chief who put a whole case of pepsi, a couple of frozen meals and a big bag of chips in the airplane fridge. Damn near took up the whole box. A sixer and the frozens was plenty for the 8 hour ride. Ultimately we wound up having room for the case of soda. While he was sleeping in the bunk during the entire flight the crew and passengers put a large dent in his sodas. Told the passengers to help themselves. It was worth it to hear him bitch and cuss about who took his stuff. He probably didn't learn a thing from that except flight crew can be pr1cks when we want to be.

You mean to say you guys have a choice in the matter?

I beg to differ! :-)

garhkal
08-14-2013, 12:15 AM
I don't have any stories like this. The biggest thing that happens to the community refrigerator is that people leave their lunch in there and then forget about it. I have had to clear out the refrigerator on more than occasion and some of the food has been in there so long that it is like a school science project gone bad.

Had that several times myself. Mostly with people who brought in mayo, tuna salad, or occasionally cooked food that was just left there..

SomeRandomGuy
08-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Chief_KO
08-15-2013, 03:49 AM
Leaving your hat on the shop table or workbenches meant your hat ended up in the freezer...sometimes after it was soaked. Same with coffee cups.
One Friday I took one of the biggest prankster's coffee cup home with me. I proceeded to freeze it, suspended in a block of ice (used a gallon milk carton). Went to work early on Monday, placed the ice block (you could just barely see the coffee cup through the ice) in the freezer. Then I sat at the crew table reading the newspaper and drinking my morning coffee awaiting his entrance.
Bazinga! Classic office prank

garhkal
08-19-2013, 09:18 PM
One guy got wrote up for 'destruction of govt property' doing stuff like that.

Chief_KO
08-20-2013, 03:21 AM
One guy got wrote up for 'destruction of govt property' doing stuff like that.

Wow, that was harsh and not legal since there was no destruction and it was personal property. Guess the following story would have resulted in paperwork too...

Small radar site, circa 1984. Day shift was leaving and had made a big pitcher of Kool Aid for the next day. Amn came on duty for CQ/firewatch duty. Next morning we relieved the CQ and discovered the pitcher was half empty. End of the day same Amn came on for CQ. We asked if he had drank some of our Kool Aid (he denied doing so). Really dude? You were the only one there!!! Next morning, same thing: half empty. Day three, Kool Aid was made...topped off with a little whiz (not the cheese kind). Came in the next morning, only a small amount...one glass was gone. Fridge thief stopped!!!

garhkal
08-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Wow, that was harsh and not legal since there was no destruction and it was personal property. Guess the following story would have resulted in paperwork too...

I don't know if the charges went anywhere, or if the 'putting him down on paper' was more for 'scaring others out of doing it anymore'.. but if it was for the latter, it did seem to work.