PDA

View Full Version : We don't want your stinkin kids..

garhkal
08-11-2013, 07:48 AM
What's everyones thoughts on the current drive to make restaurants 'kid free'?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/restaurant-la-fisheria-bans-children-dinner-hours-19902556

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/08/texas-restaurant-bans-kids-after-7-p-m/

http://eater.com/archives/2013/08/06/houston-restaurant-bans-young-kids-after-700-pm.php

http://money.msn.com/now/blog--business-is-booming-at-no-kids-restaurant

technomage1
08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
What's everyones thoughts on the current drive to make restaurants 'kid free'?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/restaurant-la-fisheria-bans-children-dinner-hours-19902556

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/08/texas-restaurant-bans-kids-after-7-p-m/

http://eater.com/archives/2013/08/06/houston-restaurant-bans-young-kids-after-700-pm.php

http://money.msn.com/now/blog--business-is-booming-at-no-kids-restaurant

Well, I didn't think 3 restaurants qualifies as a "drive". That's not even a trend, its more like a blip. Anyway, I like it. Not every place can or should be child friendly. I don't mind eating next to quiet, well mannered children but there are a distressingly few amount of those due to poor parenting skills. Nothing ruins a meal like a child screaming their head off or running around.

One of these places bans them after 7 pm for kids 8 and under. At that age, they should be winding down for bed at that time anyway.

I'm not sure why parents think every place is appropriate for children. It's never been that way nor should it be. Next thing you know they'll be demanding bars to allow children and install a play area....

Gonzo432
08-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Let the market decide if this is good or bad. One of the links (ok, the one I looked at, money.msn) stated it was a restaurant named "The Sushi bar". That ain't Chuck e Cheese or even Chilis/Applebees.

As for the people who compared the policy to apartheid, they may want to pick up a clue sometime.

Chief_KO
08-11-2013, 02:21 PM
It is sad that restaurants are having to do this, but as stated if parenting was good then the child will be well mannered or the parents have enough common sense to realize that their child is not ready to go out to eat at a restaurant like this.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I've rarely had bad dining experiences around kids. Babies is a different story. Seems my wife and I are always subjected to the screaming, screeching babies while trying to enjoy our meals.

garhkal
08-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Well, I didn't think 3 restaurants qualifies as a "drive". That's not even a trend, its more like a blip. Anyway, I like it. Not every place can or should be child friendly. I don't mind eating next to quiet, well mannered children but there are a distressingly few amount of those due to poor parenting skills. Nothing ruins a meal like a child screaming their head off or running around.

One of these places bans them after 7 pm for kids 8 and under. At that age, they should be winding down for bed at that time anyway.

I'm not sure why parents think every place is appropriate for children. It's never been that way nor should it be. Next thing you know they'll be demanding bars to allow children and install a play area....

You'd be surprised at the number of times in Gulfport, when we went out to Hooters for UFC sat night (till midnight) the number of parents who would be bringing in their 2-7 yr olds.. And up here in cbus (buffalo wild wings) its much of the same.

wildman
08-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I love children and I love to eat out. There is a time and place for both. A screaming screeching child at a restaurant is not the child's fault it's the parents and they should be asked to take the child out of that environment.

Always,
Wildman

RobotChicken
08-11-2013, 08:04 PM
" Dining out with brats running amok is like 'Snakes on a Plane'; nowhere to go...."

imported_WINTHORP1
08-11-2013, 09:42 PM
You can't always blame the parents for children and to try to is a cop-out. As a parent, my wife and I take our child out to restaurants with us and normally everything is fine, but once in a while, he will get fussy. We try our best to calm him down, but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Kind of like a baby on a plane. So do I have bad parenting skills because of that once in awhile situation?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-11-2013, 10:02 PM
We try our best to calm him down, but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Kind of like a baby on a plane.

Except unlike a plane, you can remove your disruptive baby from the establishment. Thanks in advance!

Absinthe Anecdote
08-11-2013, 10:19 PM
You can't always blame the parents for children and to try to is a cop-out. As a parent, my wife and I take our child out to restaurants with us and normally everything is fine, but once in a while, he will get fussy. We try our best to calm him down, but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Kind of like a baby on a plane. So do I have bad parenting skills because of that once in awhile situation?

I can understand what you are talking about. I can also understand taking a baby to a Bob Evans or a Red Lobster or any other family style restaurant. What I can't understand is taking a baby to an upscale French restaurant or an upscale steakhouse.
I also think taking a baby to a movie theater is a bad choice.

imported_WINTHORP1
08-12-2013, 01:28 AM
I will agree that taking a child to an upscale restaurant or to the movies is a bad choice. In those cases, you should get someone to watch your child and have a date night.

UH1FE
08-12-2013, 03:39 AM
Plain and simple if parent were to act more like parents with their kids instead of trying to be their friend they would be well behaved.

garhkal
08-12-2013, 04:39 AM
True, but a lot also imo has to do with the laws these days, seeming to favor NOT allowing a parent to discipline (or schools etc) the kids.

imported_WINTHORP1
08-12-2013, 06:00 AM
You bring up a good point. it's not like it was back in our day (depending on how old you are) when you could spank your kid in public. Now the police will be called and you'll be charged with child abuse.

RobotChicken
08-12-2013, 01:07 PM
You bring up a good point. it's not like it was back in our day (depending on how old you are) when you could spank your kid in public. Now the police will be called and you'll be charged with child abuse.

"Now-a-days they get a different type of spanking after their 18th + birthday on the way to the 'big house' for a rude awaking to life!"

wildman
08-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Has common sense been expunged from our society? If your child is being a brat deal with it instead of having your head up your ass. Ya don't need to beat the kid but ya sure as hell can get through to them that there are going to be consequences for the unruly behavior and they are not going to like it. A young baby ya take out of the establishment. On a plane ya shove the binkie in it's yell hole. Act like a parent. Oops forgot some parents are still kids themselves.

Always,
Wildman

Shaken1976
08-12-2013, 07:09 PM
It is sad that restaurants are having to do this, but as stated if parenting was good then the child will be well mannered or the parents have enough common sense to realize that their child is not ready to go out to eat at a restaurant like this.

Parents don't want to be parents. Took my daughter (10) and my nephew (4) to a childrens museum this weekend. It should be a place where kids can play and explore. Several children were hogging toys, fighting, throwing things and much more and parents sat back and watched. One little boy who was probably about 7 pushed my nephew away from a dump truck he was playing with and tried to take it from my nephew. Even when I said something to the kid the parents didn't show up. Most of the parents were sitting on benches with their heads over their phones. You may not need to be down your kids neck while at the museum...but you should be paying close enough attention to stop them from misbaving.

Parents want to make excuses for their kids instead of making them behave. My daughters age has never been an excuse for misbahavior. I have taken her to many restaurants since a very young age and expected her to behave. If she didn't, I removed her and there were consequences. She learned quick. She isn't always perfect....but you can bet she sits in her seat, is polite, and keeps it down in a restaurant. If we are somewhere that is kid friendly like Chuck E Cheese or something like that...you can bet she treats others with respect.

Juggs
08-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Bam, what he said. I've got two well behaved kids. However, between 7-8 is bed time anyhow.

With that said, at 5 in the evening when I'm sitting at ruby Tuesdays with my family, I don't need some arrogant punk cursing up a storm within ear shot of my kids, then trying to talk smack when I stare at him, trying to let him know kids were near by and try be show a little respect to my family. I curse, I know I shouldn't, but I'm a able to shut it off when I'm near my kids or somebody else's

Juggs
08-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Has common sense been expunged from our society? If your child is being a brat deal with it instead of having your head up your ass. Ya don't need to beat the kid but ya sure as hell can get through to them that there are going to be consequences for the unruly behavior and they are not going to like it. A young baby ya take out of the establishment. On a plane ya shove the binkie in it's yell hole. Act like a parent. Oops forgot some parents are still kids themselves.

Always,
Wildman
Do you even have kids? Shoving a binki in the kids mouth won't solve every problem on a plane.

garhkal
08-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Along with get all sorts of evil looks from other parents.

Juggs
08-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Along with get all sorts of evil looks from other parents.

I received looks from parents, but nobody has called the cops.

Maybe it's because I yell at the other folks, "you're next if you call the cops". Snitches get stitches. That wort of stuff. Or it could I've mastered the art of hiding it in public.

technomage1
08-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Do you even have kids? Shoving a binki in the kids mouth won't solve every problem on a plane.

That's right. One time I was on a flight that was descending and some poor baby's ears wouldn't pop. It screamed its head off in pain - and even this SINK could tell that - I felt terrible for it. That hurts!

For regular issues in the air or on the ground - well, to me, a bit of effort on the part of a parent to try and soothe and/or discipline the child goes a long way. It's still annoying but if the parents try their best that's all you can ask anyone to do.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-12-2013, 10:25 PM

I had a lady shove a bikini in my mouth once but it wasn't on a plane, it was at....

Oh! You said binki, never mind!

Juggs
08-12-2013, 10:29 PM
I had to look back and make sure I didn't fat finger the word!!

FuelShopTech
08-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Bam, what he said. I've got two well behaved kids. However, between 7-8 is bed time anyhow.

With that said, at 5 in the evening when I'm sitting at ruby Tuesdays with my family, I don't need some arrogant punk cursing up a storm within ear shot of my kids, then trying to talk smack when I stare at him, trying to let him know kids were near by and try be show a little respect to my family. I curse, I know I shouldn't, but I'm a able to shut it off when I'm near my kids or somebody else's

......which is a good argument for why adult-only spaces are a good idea.

I generally don't deal with children. I don't even particularly like children. In fact, I prefer to just not deal with anyone under the age of 25.

When I go out, I like having the option of going somewhere where I don't have to worry about corrupting innocence.

Juggs
08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
I don't understand how people can't like kids. You were a child once. In order for a species to succeed it needs children. Just don't get it.

Rusty Jones
08-13-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm on my second marriage; I'm a non-smoker, and so were both wives.

Back in the day when they had smoking sections, I was willing to sit there in order be away from the kids. My ex-wife wasn't willing to do it, and neither is my current one.

Of course...I learned over the years that if you want to be away from children, you need to find different restaurants that are less "kid friendly." If there's a Hell's Kitchen in your area, that's a good choice. If you want Italian and you normally go to Olive Garden, see if there's a Bravo in your area and go there instead. If you're going out for lunch, consider deli restaurants - Panera is the most popular, and is most likely to have children, but look into others - like Schlotzky's and Au Bon Pain.

Juggs, I can only speak for myself - I have kids, so it's not like I don't like them. But when the wife and I go out - without the kids - being around other children defeats the purpose.

Juggs
08-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm on my second marriage; I'm a non-smoker, and so were both wives.

Back in the day when they had smoking sections, I was willing to sit there in order be away from the kids. My ex-wife wasn't willing to do it, and neither is my current one.

Of course...I learned over the years that if you want to be away from children, you need to find different restaurants that are less "kid friendly." If there's a Hell's Kitchen in your area, that's a good choice. If you want Italian and you normally go to Olive Garden, see if there's a Bravo in your area and go there instead. If you're going out for lunch, consider deli restaurants - Panera is the most popular, and is most likely to have children, but look into others - like Schlotzky's and Au Bon Pain.

Juggs, I can only speak for myself - I have kids, so it's not like I don't like them. But when the wife and I go out - without the kids - being around other children defeats the purpose.

Rusty I get that 100%. My wife and I enjoy our date night away from the kids as well. It's the folks that blatantly say I don't really like kids that I don't get.

Juggs
08-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Great idea to have kid-free restaurants. Kids don't need to be everywhere.

Nope that's why we have 18 and over place and 21 and over places.

wildman
08-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Yes I have a grown daughter and three grandchildren, one of witch has passed away. The binki was said with a wee bit of sarcasm in mind. Could do like I saw a lady on a bus in Germany do, give the baby a bottle and the bottle contain a wee bit of bier/beer. Sure was one happy baby.

Always,
Wildman

garhkal
08-14-2013, 01:13 AM
One of the guys i worked with mentioned he occasionally put a thimble full of whisky in his kid's bottle when he was teething. Never heard it cry.

FuelShopTech
08-14-2013, 06:22 AM
Rusty I get that 100%. My wife and I enjoy our date night away from the kids as well. It's the folks that blatantly say I don't really like kids that I don't get.

If it makes it any clearer, I don't like most people in general.

And I really don't give a darn if the human race continues or not.

USN - Retired
08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
This thread reminded me of a movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsK-Ck43LU

ttribe
08-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I have three boys that my wife and I have taken our to dinners their whole lives. We were probably the most critical of kids behaving badly in public. One pet peeve of mine that you see alot of these days is when you are waiting for a table in the restaurant bar and there is some kid sitting there taking up what I see as space for adults. A table in the bar, I have less of a problem with that, but a kid at the bar just goes against my idea of good parenting. Speaking of good parenting> you be the judge here. I was with my boys at a kids fun spot where they were in a ball pit with other kids. There was one boy who was taking a little too much pleasure in throwing balls at other smaller kids heads. There were a few parents around, and some didn't like what they were seeing also. He finally started in on one of my boys. I sort of lost it and yelled loudly at my son "If that kid hits you with one more ball, I want you to go over and bust him in his F----ing mouth!" Problem solved, the kid kind of slinked down and resumed playing nicely. No other parent confronted me over my outburst. I was a little ashamed at my language, but I think it also might have been the right punctuation to the issue.

Pullinteeth
08-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Yes I have a grown daughter and three grandchildren, one of witch has passed away. The binki was said with a wee bit of sarcasm in mind. Could do like I saw a lady on a bus in Germany do, give the baby a bottle and the bottle contain a wee bit of bier/beer. Sure was one happy baby.

Always,
Wildman

Yeah, good idea...get your kids drunk in public...surely no one will call CPS on you....:frusty

Absinthe Anecdote
08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
I have three boys that my wife and I have taken our to dinners their whole lives. We were probably the most critical of kids behaving badly in public. One pet peeve of mine that you see alot of these days is when you are waiting for a table in the restaurant bar and there is some kid sitting there taking up what I see as space for adults. A table in the bar, I have less of a problem with that, but a kid at the bar just goes against my idea of good parenting. Speaking of good parenting> you be the judge here. I was with my boys at a kids fun spot where they were in a ball pit with other kids. There was one boy who was taking a little too much pleasure in throwing balls at other smaller kids heads. There were a few parents around, and some didn't like what they were seeing also. He finally started in on one of my boys. I sort of lost it and yelled loudly at my son "If that kid hits you with one more ball, I want you to go over and bust him in his F----ing mouth!" Problem solved, the kid kind of slinked down and resumed playing nicely. No other parent confronted me over my outburst. I was a little ashamed at my language, but I think it also might have been the right punctuation to the issue.

I understand why you yelled that and I probably would have given you a thumbs up if I witnessed it. However, it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do.

You should have called your oldest boy over and just whispered to him, "sweep the leg!"

BENDER56
08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't hate kids, but I'm not very interested in them and don't much care for interacting with them. I'm in the old "... should be seen and not heard" camp. But this thread got me thinking; my wife and I go out to eat every Friday and I can't remember the last time we were disturbed by some kid acting up. Seriously, it must be, like, decades since it happened. And we don't usually go to exclusive, upscale, fine-dining restaurants, either.

However, we seldom, if ever, go to chain restaurants. Perhaps it's in those restaurants where you're more likely to encounter the slacker parents who bring the whole brood with them and let them act up. I honestly don't know. But it's weird it hasn't happened to us in a long time because I know those little terrors must still be out there.

When our kids were too young to understand how to behave in a restaurant, we hired a babysitter. When they became old enough to behave, we would sometimes bring them with us but we would more often still hire a sitter so we could have a date night. Not to mention, the kids eventually got to an age where going out with mom and dad just wasn't their idea of a great time.

I think a restaurant owner should be able to decide if kids are allowed or not.

wildman
08-16-2013, 03:47 AM
Yeah, good idea...get your kids drunk in public...surely no one will call CPS on you....:frusty

Who said anything about getting them drunk? Once again your inability to comprehend what has been written comes to the forefront.

Always,
Wildman

garhkal
08-19-2013, 10:21 PM
I think a restaurant owner should be able to decide if kids are allowed or not.

Many felt the same should apply to smoking, and whether that store/restaurant owner wanted it or not.. Not gone down well. Heck look at the # of cities that tell hotels "even if you WANT to allow smoking rooms, you can't". I can see them doing the same here..

USN - Retired
08-20-2013, 05:32 AM
As long as the kids are well behaved, then I don't care. Misbehaving adults are just as annoying to me as misbehaving kids. If a kid is misbehaving, then the parent needs to take action immediately.

BENDER56
08-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Many felt the same should apply to smoking, and whether that store/restaurant owner wanted it or not.. Not gone down well. Heck look at the # of cities that tell hotels "even if you WANT to allow smoking rooms, you can't". I can see them doing the same here..

I do feel a business owner should be the one to decide if his establishment allows smoking or not. Then his potential patrons can decide if they want to patronize his business and he can adjust his decision based upon his profits or lack thereof. It should be a free-market decision -- the State shouldn't have anything to do with it. (I've never smoked, by the way.)

As much as I am dismayed at the State increasingly sticking its nose in places where it doesn't belong, I seriously doubt it will dictate child-free restaurants. However, I could easily see it saying business owners can't turn away patrons with children.

garhkal
08-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Which is what i fear might come down. Owners after polling their patrons/staff feel making child free areas/days instigate those, but the state says "You can't discriminate based on having kids, get rid of it".

Rusty Jones
08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Maybe restaurant owners can start showing Rated R movies on big screens. That'll keep parents from bringing in the kids!

Pullinteeth
08-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Here is some info on kid-free sections on airlines...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/08/21/scoot-airlines-introduces-child-free-zone/

garhkal
08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I heard of those airlines before, and thought it was a very good decision.

Class5Kayaker
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM
The Patriot Express flights (aka Freedom Bird, Rotator, etc.) usually puts all the families (usually they're Space-A) in one section so they don't disturb all the deployers. Great idea, but it never fails though, they can't fill an entire section and I end up in that section....usually next to a dependopotomus with three kids who are out of control. I am a parent myself, and I totally understand that infants cry because of pressure changes during flight and I'm fine with that.....it's their inability to control their kids otherwise that gets to me. My kids would never act the way some of those kids act....if they did they'd get "the look" and immediately shut up, sit down, and face forward. Hell, even my German Shepherd knows what "the look" means and she complies.

technomage1
08-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Maybe restaurant owners can start showing Rated R movies on big screens. That'll keep parents from bringing in the kids!

Sadly, no it wouldn't.

Greg
08-22-2013, 01:09 AM
The state of Ohio mandated no smoking in bars, restaurants, and work places in order to qualify for money from the Feds due to the lawsuits against big tobacco.

"State Smoke-Free Laws for Worksites, Restaurants, and Bars --- United States, 2000--2010"

"The number of states with comprehensive smoke-free laws in effect increased from zero on December 31, 2000, to 26 states on December 31, 2010 (Table 1). In 2002, Delaware became the first state to implement a comprehensive smoke-free law, followed by New York in 2003, Massachusetts in 2004, and Rhode Island and Washington in 2005. In 2006, comprehensive smoke-free laws went into effect in Colorado, Hawaii, New Jersey, and Ohio, followed by Arizona, DC, Minnesota, and New Mexico in 2007; Illinois, Iowa, and Maryland in 2008; Maine, Montana, Nebraska, Oregon, Utah, and Vermont in 2009; and Kansas, Michigan, South Dakota, and Wisconsin in 2010. The years listed are the years in which the laws took effect; in some cases the laws were enacted in a preceding year. Some state laws were expanded gradually or phased in; in these cases, the year provided is the year when the law first applied to all three of the settings considered in this study. Additionally, while most of these laws were enacted through the state legislative process, Arizona, Ohio, South Dakota, and Washington enacted their laws through ballot measures."

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6015a2.htm

garhkal
08-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Sadly, no it wouldn't.

Yea.. you would prob get MORE kids pestering their parents to take them.

technomage1
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Yea.. you would prob get MORE kids pestering their parents to take them.

If you haven't been to a late night R movie lately, go. You'll be shocked at the number of small children present - at least I was. 5 year olds should not be seeing an R movie, let alone a 9 pm showing on a school night.

BENDER56
08-22-2013, 10:43 PM
If you haven't been to a late night R movie lately, go. You'll be shocked at the number of small children present ...

... and for the same reason there are often rambunctious kids in restaurants; parents who are too cheap/inconsiderate/irresponsible to hire a sitter.

garhkal
08-22-2013, 11:24 PM
If you haven't been to a late night R movie lately, go. You'll be shocked at the number of small children present - at least I was. 5 year olds should not be seeing an R movie, let alone a 9 pm showing on a school night.

Heck i have seen some kids that young out at 10pm on a week night EATING with their parents. IMO they should have been in BED.

But that is precicely my point. R should be no kids without parents being there. But rarely do i see theaters checking that.

technomage1
08-23-2013, 01:31 AM
R should be no kids without parents being there. But rarely do i see theaters checking that.

I have any times. And every time the parent has OKd it. Same with video games and the M rating. Kids should not be seeing/playing things meant for an adult audience.

garhkal
08-23-2013, 07:52 PM
But how is the theater tech to know the parent has ok;ed it?? Get a letter from mom?

technomage1
08-24-2013, 11:41 AM
But how is the theater tech to know the parent has ok;ed it?? Get a letter from mom?

Every time I've seen it the child had been with the parent.

garhkal
08-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Ah.. Sounded like you were saying the kids were there on their own.