PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Fun

sharkhunter
08-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Okay, so I just read about the Drag Queen event that went on at LA AFB this past Friday. One of the comments from a reader was "No one is forcing you to watch it." I really wish I can tell this person in real live how many events are actually consider Mandatory Fun and we have to attend. Of course I would have a personal issue about this, but can the AF really make you attend something that against what you believe in? Has anyone really gotten in trouble for not attending a mandatory fun event?

imported_AFKILO7
08-10-2013, 09:37 PM
I went online and looked up the "event" I'm curious though, what exactly is considered "ethnic" food at an event such as this?

Wieners?

RobotChicken
08-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Okay, so I just read about the Drag Queen event that went on at LA AFB this past Friday. One of the comments from a reader was "No one is forcing you to watch it." I really wish I can tell this person in real live how many events are actually consider Mandatory Fun and we have to attend. Of course I would have a personal issue about this, but can the AF really make you attend something that against what you believe in? Has anyone really gotten in trouble for not attending a mandatory fun event?

"I'm sure 'AFI-catch-22' covers that as well."

Absinthe Anecdote
08-10-2013, 09:42 PM
I went online and looked up the "event" I'm curious though, what exactly is considered "ethnic" food at an event such as this?

Wieners?
“Well, you can’t go wrong with cocktail weenies! They taste as good as they look, and they come in this delicious red sauce. It looks like ketchup, it tastes like ketchup, but brother, it ain’t ketchup!”

Airborne
08-10-2013, 10:18 PM
While the Christmas party or squadron softball extravaganza might be mandatory fun, anything ethnic or religious has never been foisted upon me.

tiredretiredE7
08-11-2013, 01:45 PM

The "little brown book" requires NCOs/SNCOs to goto this events to support their troops.

tiredretiredE7
08-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Wieners?

and tacos.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
You can't have that USO Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader photo from your last 6-mth deployment at your desk, but Drag Queen shows on base are ok, and for some, like commanders, attendance is expected.

Un-Fucking-Believable.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-11-2013, 03:34 PM
You can't have that USO Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader photo from your last 6-mth deployment at your desk, but Drag Queen shows on base are ok, and for some, like commanders, attendance is expected.

Un-Fucking-Believable.

Makes perfect sense to me. Relax, have some cocktail weenies and enjoy the show.

tiredretiredE7
08-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Un-Fucking-Believable.

I wish I was still on AD just so I could put up some calendars of a bunch of dudes in drag on my desk to see if anyone would complain.

technomage1
08-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I have never once attended a specialty event (Hispanic heritage, black history, etc). There are plenty of other opportunities for community involvement that I am interested in.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I wish I was still on AD just so I could put up some calendars of a bunch of dudes in drag on my desk to see if anyone would complain.

Here is a photo of the group that performed, seems about a salacious as having a photo of the Washington Redskins Hoggettes on your desk.

http://www.longbeachpride.com/AAA%20Images/Parade/BrunchettesEdited.jpg

Frankly, I’d rather see the contestants of that TG beauty pageant they have every year in Thailand.

Other than it being an incredibly dumb spectacle, I don't see the big deal. The hypocrisy aspect of banning photos of cheerleaders at USO shows does stink to high heaven though.

Here is a news article on it:

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/air-force-says-drag-acts-symbolize-gay-pride.html

4CECMC
08-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Sickening and deviant behavior. Base commander trying to get his/her name in the paper!

efmbman
08-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Sickening and deviant behavior. Base commander trying to get his/her name in the paper!

Ummmm.... partial credit.

technomage1
08-11-2013, 06:28 PM

Yep, you're absolutely right. That's the sole reason for this happening. The commander is the one with the red hair....

RobotChicken
08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Yep, you're absolutely right. That's the sole reason for this happening. The commander is the one with the red hair....

" 'Under Siege' moment no doubt!":faint

OtisRNeedleman
08-11-2013, 07:07 PM

Hell, I wish I was back on AD so I could be seen NOT going to such an event. What could the AF do, not promote me to LC? They already did that, twice.

Chief_KO
08-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Well, looking at the photos it appears that many attended while dressed as empty folding chairs. And if we were wondering when the envelope would start being pushed, circle this date on the calendar. Will this make the next PDG???

Gonzo432
08-11-2013, 11:19 PM
" 'Under Siege' moment no doubt!":faint

That was Steven Segal's peak and Gary Busey's, well, I think he'd lost it at that point. The XO in drag scene was probably Gary being Gary, they just had the cameras rolling and used it.

tiredretiredE7
08-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Well, looking at the photos it appears that many attended while dressed as empty folding chairs. And if we were wondering when the envelope would start being pushed, circle this date on the calendar. Will this make the next PDG???

Well it is already in the "little brown book" that NCO/SNCO duties require participation in events so it looks like a lot of people failed. I would have been there to take pictures and put the pictures in 8x12 inch frames on the wall in my office and I would refuse to take them down.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-12-2013, 11:23 PM
I urge people on a active duty to invite drag queen groups to perform at unit functions.

You can have a blast putting people in awkward situations all in the name of diversity.

TRE7 is right about the photos too. Have the drag queens pose with the senior person at the event and then send the photos far and wide.

To me that is taking the mandatory out of mandatory fun and just having fun.

Run wild with it!

Gonzo432
08-12-2013, 11:34 PM
I urge people on a active duty to invite drag queen groups to perform at unit functions.

You can have a blast putting people in awkward situations all in the name of diversity.

TRE7 is right about the photos too. Have the drag queens pose with the senior person at the event and then send the photos far and wide.

To me that is taking the mandatory out of mandatory fun and just having fun.

Run wild with it!

You could get Gary Busey for $50 these days. Just tell him they're making a new Under Siege on an AFB.

That's sad but true, the dude was incredible as Buddy Holly.

ConfusedAirman
08-13-2013, 12:56 AM
I guarantee if straight people were to perform in drag it would be considered offensive by the LBGT community. Kinda like if white people wore blackface and performed an Amos 'n' Andy skit.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
08-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Promoting diversity is great, but this looks like someone had no idea on how to do that, and went overboard. I'm pretty sure it's not mandatory or even the norm for most homosexual men to dress like scary, beast women.