PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Local Restaurants by Bases You've Been Stationed At

imported_Renazance
08-09-2013, 12:32 PM
One of the great things about life in the military is the chance to be stationed at a variety of different locales and experience eating at restaurants unique to the local area (city, state, country). What are some of your favorite restaurants where you have been stationed?

In Japan, it would have to be Coco's. Love their chicken cutlet curry, level 3 spice.

In ROK, my fave place to go was this small Filipino restaurant in Songtan. Always ordered the chicken adobo with rice after waking up from a long night of drinking ;-)

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
08-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Vegas had a ton of awesome places. I really enjoyed the Prime Steakhouse in the Bellagio and Emeril's place in the MGM.

Chief_KO
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Colorado Springs: Bird Dog BBQ, Lajes: Buzios, Pescador (I can't remember the other's names); Ellsworth: Colonial House, Philly Ted's, Dakotah Steakhouse, Guadalajara's (Spearfish); Osan: Any Korean Kalbi-house (BBQ) outside the ville; Keesler: McElroys, Orleans Cafe (D'Iberville); Guam: Marty's Mexican, & any food stand in the farmers market; Vegas: Rio Buffet, Bono's (Chicago Italian Beef & Hot dogs).

Gonzo
08-09-2013, 01:54 PM
There was a place outside the Truman gate at Kirtland that had the best burritos and this place called Dos Hermanos that had giant awesome burritos. When I went back after my PCS for NCOA there it was gone... :aargh4:

Also at Nellis there was that BBQ joint outside the main gate that had the best apple tea and reuben sandwiches in the world. I can't remember the name though...

Airborne
08-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Vegas had a ton of awesome places. I really enjoyed the Prime Steakhouse in the Bellagio and Emeril's place in the MGM.

More "local" favorites would be Memphis BBQ, Robertos Taco Shop, Thai Cuisine, Cappriottis, Sushi Tachi.

UK: Nandos, Wagamamas, Judes Ferry, that curry restaruant in Mildenhall village.

Gonzo
08-09-2013, 02:11 PM
That was it! Memphis BBQ.

imported_WILDJOKER5
08-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Hooters where ever I go. The one that I will always remember are the two in Spangdahlem, Mom's and the chinese place right outside the gate. Awesome fried Duck.

imported_WILDJOKER5
08-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Oh, and Cherry Boy in A town near Kunsan.

Smeghead
08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Oh, and Cherry Boy in A town near Kunsan.

Cherry Boy definitely, although everyone I hung out with preferred Big Boy across the street.

Moody--little asian food trailer across the street from the south gate.

efmbman
08-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I was stationed in Grafenwohr Germany for 5+ years. North of there (I can't remember the name of the town) there was a steak place called Santana's. It was very good. I spent a total of 8 years in Germany and this was the only place I went that did a steak the American way. You could get Jagrschnitzel and the usual German entrees, but they had a great T-Bone, too!

euripedes
08-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Thai Orchidee's on the B-50 outside of Spangdahlem.

Only thing I like more than German food is Thai food so having a good spot around the corner was hell on my wallet but heaven in my stomach.

meatbringer
08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Cherry Boy, Roberto's Taco shop, The Yardhouse, BeFeds, and Osaka's.

imported_Renazance
08-09-2013, 02:23 PM
More "local" favorites would be Memphis BBQ, Robertos Taco Shop, Thai Cuisine, Cappriottis, Sushi Tachi.

UK: Nandos, Wagamamas, Judes Ferry, that curry restaruant in Mildenhall village.

Nando's and Wagamama are the shiite. Love that peri peri chicken skewer at Nando's.

euripedes
08-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Forgot about nando's. My wife brought back a box of that sauce when we left Lakenheath.

BENDER56
08-09-2013, 02:27 PM
There wasn't much in Wichita Falls back in the early '90s, But I have fond memories of beer and football at the Parkway Grill & Pub out on Southwest Parkway and Kemp. Looks like it's still there according to Google maps.

Edit: Uncle Lynn's catfish restaurant was pretty good, but I heard it burned down years ago.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Cherry Boy, Roberto's Taco shop, The Yardhouse, BeFeds, and Osaka's.

Cherry Boy! Get the Kimchi Fried Rice with two over easy eggs on top!

imported_Renazance
08-09-2013, 02:29 PM
There's one in DC if you're ever craving it and find yourself in that part of the US.

LFAWes
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Rudys BBQ in San Antonio over by Seaworld.

imported_WILDJOKER5
08-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Cherry Boy! Get the Kimchi Fried Rice with two over easy eggs on top!

Squid bagogi

Port Dawg
08-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm in Spangdahlem too, and I don't eat at that Chinese restaurant anymore, my wife's friend ate there, and she said they served "Second food" ....guess they were trying to save money, but my wife and I avoid that place like the PLAGUE. But MOM's is AWESOME! LOVE the half chicken, apple strudel, beer, schnapps, LOVE IT!

Port Dawg
08-09-2013, 02:36 PM
THAI ORCHIDEE!!! Favorite of my wife's. LOVE the Thai ice tee! And also the Crispy green curry duck is amazing!

71Fish
08-09-2013, 02:37 PM
For you guys who have been to Korea, I hope you went out beyond Songtan and A-town. If you were at Osan, there was a place in the woods a few miles from Songtan, we called it the Mushroom, but I don't know what the real name was. First time I ate there I had massive runs the next day, but damn the food was good. After that my system adjusted.
At Ellsworth I liked the Firehouse on Main St. Best Long Island Ice-teas I've ever had. Good food too. There are a few good local steak houses there too.

71Fish
08-09-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm in Spangdahlem too, and I don't eat at that Chinese restaurant anymore, my wife's friend ate there, and she said they served "Second food" ....guess they were trying to save money, but my wife and I avoid that place like the PLAGUE. But MOM's is AWESOME! LOVE the half chicken, apple strudel, beer, schnapps, LOVE IT!

I always liked the spices and flavoring the Germans use on their chicken, but for some reason chicken always tasted a little odd at Chinese and Mexican restaurants.

imported_chipotleboy
Wright-Patt: Dominic's (now closed), Dewey's Pizza
McClellan: Del Taco, Round Table Pizza -- did mostly fast food stuff, but loved the spicy chicken burritos and chili cheese fries at Del Taco. Round Table Pizza had this garlic crust that would melt in your mouth like butter.
Boulder, Wyoming: Only one joint in this small town with a 1 room post office, but they served a great roast beef sandwich
Eglin: As someone else said, Hooters. Florida girls stay in shape all year.

Frequent TDY locations:
Kirtland: Sadies is definitely my top choice. The Owl Cafe off I-40 is good too
DC: Red, Hot and Blues in Rosslyn
New Hampshire: The Common Man in Merrimac. Their prime rib is really good and they serve crumbled white chocolate for dessert
Utica, NY: Ted's serves a local delicacy called "Riggies". It's a spicy chicken rigatoni dish that the locals swear by. We had it catered in for our meeting, and I can't wait for my next trip back.

js7799
Robins: haven't found one that stands out yet, but I haven't been here long enough.
England: I loved Nandos, and most British pub grub was good. And you can't beat a good Indian place.
Germany: Bit Stube in Bitburg on the corner of the main street where it meets the pedestrian zone. Their onion soup with cheese baked over the top was awesome
Kunsan: Big Boys Bulgogi in A-town, Valentine's Italian in K.C.
Nellis: Too many to count, although In N' Out was a fave. There was a good Japanese place off the strip as well, although I can't remember the name of it.
Osan: Was too drunk to remember, although I know there were some good ones. They opened a McDonald's right before I left in Songtan and it was the best McD's I'd ever eaten at.
Hill: There was a fastfood place there called the Sconecutter, where they did scones with cinnamon and butter, or any kind of sandwich filling you could ask for. I don't think it's open anymore. They were open 24 hours which was nice and a rarity around the base at the time.

BENDER56
08-09-2013, 02:41 PM
In Goldsboro, NC there was McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell, Western Sizzlin', Golden Corrall ... you get the idea.

Okay, to be fair, Bonfire's Tortilla Bar didn't suck. There was an Italian place on N. Williams that changed owners a few times but wasn't bad. There was an upscale place downtown called Billie's, but it folded due to lack of patronage. Good food to a Goldsboron means lots of it for little money. Quality doesn't seem to enter into the equation. (See first paragraph above.)

And you can have that vinegar-laced crap they call barbecue there.

imported_WILDJOKER5

Well, I left there in 2005. They may have changed. But the duck was great.

js7799
THAI ORCHIDEE!!! Favorite of my wife's. LOVE the Thai ice tee! And also the Crispy green curry duck is amazing!

I went there once, if you're talking about the place on the B-50 between Bit and Spang. Never went again. Food was greasy and tasteless, and the place was filthy. Maybe it's changed.

imported_WILDJOKER5
08-09-2013, 02:43 PM
For you guys who have been to Korea, I hope you went out beyond Songtan and A-town. If you were at Osan, there was a place in the woods a few miles from Songtan, we called it the Mushroom, but I don't know what the real name was. First time I ate there I had massive runs the next day, but damn the food was good. After that my system adjusted.
At Ellsworth I liked the Firehouse on Main St. Best Long Island Ice-teas I've ever had. Good food too. There are a few good local steak houses there too.

I went to a world cup game in Korea in 2002 in some town, and just ate at a local restaurant. It was good, but I will never remember the name nor the food.

Juggs
08-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Maui taco near wheeler aaf

Haufbrau haus in Vegas

Any seafood place on the FL pan handle

Any place near pikes place fish market in Seattle.

imported_WILDJOKER5
08-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Robins: haven't found one that stands out yet, but I haven't been here long enough.

Try the veitnamese across 247. Or Mellow Mushroom. There are pleanty of mexican foods in WR.

BENDER56
08-09-2013, 02:57 PM
For a small town, Pensacola has a plethora of great restaurants. Lots of restaurants are right on the water -- The Fish House, the Oar House, Paradise Bar & Grill, Hemmingway's, Grand Marlin, Jaco's Place, the Sunset Grill in Perdido Key to name just a few. Downtown were Hopjacks, Dharma Blue, Global Grill, and of course, the best burgers and Irish food at McGuires (with nearly one million one-dollar bills stapled to the walls and ceilings.) For pizza the was Tre Fratelli (sadly, closed), Tuscan Oven and The Mellow Mushroom. I still miss that town.

crwchf16
08-09-2013, 02:59 PM
San Antonio - Jailhouse Cafe, they had great food and offered these huge cinnamon rolls as dessert
Wichita Falls - Fat McBride's Steakhouse - I'll give Texas this much; they know how to cut a steak
It's not a restaurant but while at Holloman I'd frequently go up to Cloudcroft to the Mountaintop Mercantile general store. The bakery was incredible! Also up the road in Tularosa was a fantastic classic mexican retaurant and BBQ
Eielson - Pagoda in North Pole was the best oriental food I've had anywhere, including in Korea. There was an italian place (can't remember the name now) near UAF in Fairbanks that was simply awesome, along with the Airport Way Diner for a good midnight chow down.
Shaw has the legendary Chicken Shack in Dalzell. It looks like hell inside and outside but they give one person enough great food to feed a family of four
Aviano, Italy has a couple pasta places right in town that once again, I can't remember the names, but they had everything you could ask for in classic italian cuisine

js7799
08-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Try the veitnamese across 247. Or Mellow Mushroom. There are pleanty of mexican foods in WR.

Thanks for the tips, I've seen the places you're talking about but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I hear the Korean place up Watson is pretty good as well.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm emailing a link for this thread to CSAF and telling him not to change a thing on the waist measurement!

Measure Man
08-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Clark--Didi's Pizza, Shanghai Restaurant

McGuire--Kelly's...man, if you were there in 95-97 or so and ever had a "Kelly's Special" I think it was called, Cheesesteak, you would never be satisfied by another sandwich again. They sold the place and the new owner's changed it around '97 or '98

Edwards--Domingo's of course.

Ramstein--Alt Landstuhl, Schnitzelhaus, ...forget the name of the Italian place in Landstuhl run by a hungarian lady who also made the best gulash you ever had.

imported_DannyJ
08-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Chucktown - Can't remember the name (starts with a B across from the sofa superstore) had ridiculous portion sizes and quarter beer tuesdays.

UK - Olde Bull by the five ways. Ham egg and chips were awesome. Hand pulled beer was always great too. Still miss the supermarkets.

Scott - Good Old Days in New Baden.

Port Dawg
08-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Yokota AFB Japan,

Out the east side gate, take a left, then follow that road then take the right hand turn then a left, just before the train tracks, best RAMEN place in Japan I swear.

-"Screaming Sushi" restaurant just past Seiyu.....yeah, my wife and I were GOLD card members there! BEST sushi ever! OMG the ONION SALMON was to DIE FOR!

-"Sushiro" restaurant out the main fussa gate, then left....cheapest/best sushi ever

-Kappa Zushi CHEAP sushi, but man was it awesome!!

-YAKINIKU!!! OMG all you can eat and cook it yourself! + sushi Happy times

-COCO's curry! Had a guy in my shop dare me to eat a level 10....he said he'd give me 20 bucks, easiest beer money I ever made in my life. Guy watched me sweat through the whole thing....I was laughing all the way to the bank. He went to 3 different Coco's restaurants and tried to convince the Japanese to make a level 15 or 20....like super HOT but they would only do a 10..haha.

-24 Hour Seven Eleven RIGHT OUT THE FRONT GATE!!! OMG best ever. Sapporo beer, and the best rice cakes filled with creamy salmon!

GERMANY:

-Thai Orchidee off the B-50

-My local delivery in Wittlich (awesome pizza and schnitzel/salads and the WINGS OMG the WINGS!)

-"MOM'S PLACE" in Spangdahlem town, awesome strudel...half chicken, Alt beer, schnitzel with mushrooms and cheese. YESSIR!

- Zum Domstein in Trier. Amazing Trier wine and the food is amazing!

- Thaj Mahal in Bernkastel Keus! Best indian food i've ever had!!

-

DWWSWWD
08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
At Keesler years ago, there was a place called The Pit. It was literally in the living room of someone's house. The owners were in their 100s so I'm sure it's long gone. They cooked steak on an open hearth and the salads came from their garden. The meal came with a little side of cheetos. Weird. I asked for steak sauce once and the lady just said no. At Ellsworth, there was a chinese buffet, I think it was called Shanghai. It cost around $3 for lunch. My wife wouldn't eat there but the shop would roll there about twice a week.

imported_WILDJOKER5
08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the tips, I've seen the places you're talking about but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I hear the Korean place up Watson is pretty good as well.

Boarding house, been there yet?

ttribe
08-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Mastori's Diner in Bordentown NJ. With an on site bakery, and over 200 items on the menu, and full bar, if you couldn't find something on the menu that you wanted, you just aren't hungry. I've never finished a full meal in that place. You always take home left overs. I always dug Wilburs BBQ outside Seymour J. Alot of other guys didn't dig the Carolina style BBQ but I did. At March I tried to steer the crew to a place local to SOCAL called El POLO LOCO. That was some good stuff.

Measure Man
08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
At Keesler years ago, there was a place called The Pit. It was literally in the living room of someone's house.

I seem to remember a soul food place from SNCOA Gunter like that...out of some ladies house. Mama's or something like that? It was like a 2 hour wait for lunch, so we couldn't go during the week, but hit it on a weekend or holiday or something...

Calmo70
08-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Incirlik - Moonlight Cafe - directly across from the Main Gate
Ramstein - Schnizschel House in Vogelweh

Capt Alfredo
08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Rudys BBQ in San Antonio over by Seaworld.

Waaaay over-rated in my opinion.

Capt Alfredo
08-09-2013, 04:17 PM

The Boarding House for down-home Southern cooking. It's right across the street from the base, just over the railroad tracks and to the right. People in your section have been there. Also, the BBQ joint right outside the gate is pretty good.

js7799
08-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Boarding house, been there yet?

Negative.........

Giant Voice
08-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I like Popeyes, Taco Bell, Anythonys, and Burger King!

Absinthe Anecdote
08-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Yokota AFB Japan,

-COCO's curry! Had a guy in my shop dare me to eat a level 10....he said he'd give me 20 bucks, easiest beer money I ever made in my life. Guy watched me sweat through the whole thing....I was laughing all the way to the bank. He went to 3 different Coco's restaurants and tried to convince the Japanese to make a level 15 or 20....like super HOT but they would only do a 10..haha.

-24 Hour Seven Eleven RIGHT OUT THE FRONT GATE!!! OMG best ever. Sapporo beer, and the best rice cakes

-

Coco's Curry House is also my favorite chain restaurant in Japan! I used to order the 10 level cutlet with dried garlic, hard boiled egg, and sour pickles!

Don't know if you ever learned to read Japanese but they had a bunch of funny warnings on the menu about levels 8 through 10. The warning for level 10 said that a doctor will come visit you.

Mos Burger was another one of my favorite chain restaurants! Spicy Mos Burger with jalapeños!

I was also amazed at the great food you can get at Seven-Elevens and Lawson's in Japan.

Oden Soup (fish cake and hot broth) was always a favorite.

In Tokyo the street food is amazing! I love those little mom & pop yakitori places and anytime I saw a tako-yaki (fried octopus) stand I had a hard time passing it by.

Also in Tokyo the is a chain of Donner Kabob stands ran by a Turkish-Japanese company. The biggest concentration of them is in the Ueno Ward. If you ever find yourself in the Ueno Train Station walk across the street into that maze of shops and stalls (night market) and follow your nose.

I can't remember if these kabob stands even have a name but they have orange and white signs. Kind of standard Turkish Donner kabob but the Japanese style chilli sauce makes them AMAZING!

Bumble78
08-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Ramstein--Doner Haus III in Weilerbach

Travis AFB--Black Bear Dinner in Suisun, Adalberto's in Fairfield,

McChord--Souther Kitchen in Tacoma

Hickam--Stake Out in the parking lot of the BX

Cannon--None, Maybe that is what is wrong with that base.

imported_chipotleboy
08-10-2013, 02:44 AM
For a small town, Pensacola has a plethora of great restaurants. Lots of restaurants are right on the water -- The Fish House, the Oar House, Paradise Bar & Grill, Hemmingway's, Grand Marlin, Jaco's Place, the Sunset Grill in Perdido Key to name just a few. Downtown were Hopjacks, Dharma Blue, Global Grill, and of course, the best burgers and Irish food at McGuires (with nearly one million one-dollar bills stapled to the walls and ceilings.) For pizza the was Tre Fratelli (sadly, closed), Tuscan Oven and The Mellow Mushroom. I still miss that town.

Forgot about McGuire's Irish Pub. They also have a place in Destin. Prime Rib is excellent. So is the Navy Bean soup. And the McGuire's in Pensacola is walking distance from Sammy's

Measure Man
08-10-2013, 03:07 AM
Forgot about McGuire's Irish Pub. They also have a place in Destin. Prime Rib is excellent. So is the Navy Bean soup. And the McGuire's in Pensacola is walking distance from Sammy's

I been to McGuire's in Destin...Corn Beef an Cabbage as big as your head!

dan5522
08-10-2013, 03:36 AM
The Boarding House for down-home Southern cooking. It's right across the street from the base, just over the railroad tracks and to the right. People in your section have been there. Also, the BBQ joint right outside the gate is pretty good.

Martins is the place across from the base. 2 guys and a pie on 247 going toward Bonaire is good too. I am here now and for the most part when we want something "different" we go out to Macon and the Riverside mall thing, some good places.

Airborne
08-10-2013, 04:53 AM
I love this thread. At Hurlburt/Eglin Slick Micks. Great subs, phillies, homemade chips, etc. Kinfolks. You can smell the smoke from 2 miles away. Old bay steamer. At Nellis....¡Viva Zapátas! Tons of great places at Keesler before that bitch Katrina. There was actually a decent mexican place at Cannon though I cant recall the name. Anyone transitioning from USAFE to CONUS on milair might stop at St Johns, Newfoundland and eat at The Keg. Delish. I think Memphis BBQ near Nellis is one of the better places right outside of a gate, at least CONUS.

OtisRNeedleman
08-10-2013, 05:56 AM
When I was at Randolph 87-92 Tom's Ribs was the place. The chicken-fried steak with BBQ sauce, NOT gravy, fries, and a loaf of fried onion rings was to die for. Sadly, no longer around.

In San Angelo, Western Skies steakhouse.

At DLI, Rosine's for me. Killer cakes!

Gonzo432
08-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I love this thread. At Hurlburt/Eglin Slick Micks. Great subs, phillies, homemade chips, etc. Kinfolks. You can smell the smoke from 2 miles away. Old bay steamer. At Nellis....¡Viva Zapátas! Tons of great places at Keesler before that bitch Katrina. There was actually a decent mexican place at Cannon though I cant recall the name. Anyone transitioning from USAFE to CONUS on milair might stop at St Johns, Newfoundland and eat at The Keg. Delish. I think Memphis BBQ near Nellis is one of the better places right outside of a gate, at least CONUS.

Kinfolks, on 98 with a tree growing out of the deck? Awesome!

Capt Alfredo
08-10-2013, 02:13 PM
When I was at Randolph 87-92 Tom's Ribs was the place. The chicken-fried steak with BBQ sauce, NOT gravy, fries, and a loaf of fried onion rings was to die for. Sadly, no longer around.

In San Angelo, Western Skies steakhouse.

At DLI, Rosine's for me. Killer cakes!

In Monterey, the place to go was Compagnos. In San Angelo, well, there wasn't much, but I suppose Peasant Village was a nice change of pace.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Frank's Franks. A little bit of yellow mustard, and maybe some relish. You haven't had a Frank until you've had this one.

Some bases got 'em, some don't.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-10-2013, 08:12 PM
In Goldsboro, NC there was McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell, Western Sizzlin', Golden Corrall ... you get the idea.

Ah, you jest! However, did you know that the Goldsboro McDonalds pioneered the sunlamp warming tray method for enhancing the taste of the Big Mac?

It's true! Allowing the Big Macs to age in the warming tray enables the secret sauce to saturate the inner bun and amplifies the flavor of the Big Mac by 50 percent.

Plus, wilted brown lettuce contains a higher concentration of anti-oxidants than crispy green lettuce.

A Bic Mac made and aged to perfection by the artisans of the Goldsboro, NC McDonalds is more flavorful and nutritious than a Big Mac from Cleveland, OH.

Measure Man
08-10-2013, 08:22 PM
White Castle was the first fast-food restaurant in 1921.

In and Out was the first to use the Drive-thru concept in 1948.

Gonzo432
08-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Frank's Franks. A little bit of yellow mustard, and maybe some relish. You haven't had a Frank until you've had this one.

Some bases got 'em, some don't.

You're the guy who ate Frank's Franks??!! I always wondered who that was!

dan5522
08-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Ok at McGuire AFB, you have three brothers. A decent cheesesteak and hoagie place if you don't want to drive to Philly. If you do want the drive don't do the tourist traps of Genos and Pats, go to Tony Luke's or Nicks, take it from this Philly kid. Also the Garden State off McGuire is a good place for a nice hangover cure!

At Ellsworth my family and I really enjoyed the Millstone diner and Philly Ted's.

Mildenhall you have En-thai-sing for thai food in Mildenhall village. For the best Indian go to V.C. in Bury.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-10-2013, 11:44 PM
dan5522

Wasn't one of the owners of Three Brothers involved in that foiled terrorist plot at Fort Dix a few years back?

One of my favorite old haunts in Mount Holly, NJ was Dadz Bar and Grill on RT 38, insanely hot wings at that place!

dan5522
08-10-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm not too sure but I think one of them was. Yea I have heard of that bar, I am partial to Chickies and Petes though....Crab fries, wings aint too bad either!

sharkhunter
08-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Spangdahlem: Roma's...spaghetti pizza (exactly what it sounds like) was amazing!
Incirlik: I loved the Red Onion, but it's gone now. I usually avoided the alley and went to Downtown Adana for some really good kebab meals and amazing desserts
UK: Nando's and Pinkerton's on Lakenheath.

p5150
08-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Milfords in Spokane WA is great

Absinthe Anecdote
08-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I forgot to mention my favorite place outside Misawa, Cow Beer!

The food really wasn’t anything special but I was always a big fan of the sign with its cute little cow and misspelling of the word steak, not to mention the adorable waitress who worked there.
Sadly, Cow Beer was closed when I paid a visit to Misawa last summer. A friend told me the owner’s wife ran off and left him; heartbroken, he closed the restaurant and moved to Guam.

The sign was still there though!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uuOo8x3WXWE/S27qkIFVazI/AAAAAAAAlWQ/E_1ja6hblzc/s400/cow+beer.jpg

BENDER56
08-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Ah, you jest! However, did you know that the Goldsboro McDonalds pioneered the sunlamp warming tray method for enhancing the taste of the Big Mac?

It's true! Allowing the Big Macs to age in the warming tray enables the secret sauce to saturate the inner bun and amplifies the flavor of the Big Mac by 50 percent.

Plus, wilted brown lettuce contains a higher concentration of anti-oxidants than crispy green lettuce.

A Bic Mac made and aged to perfection by the artisans of the Goldsboro, NC McDonalds is more flavorful and nutritious than a Big Mac from Cleveland, OH.

Hmm. Artisans and Goldsboro; two words I never thought I'd hear together in the same sentence.

Monkey
08-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Spangdahlem - The tiny little airport in Föhren had every form of schnitzel you could imagine.

Edwards - Domingos for Mexican and Zuma's for Italian and to see all the old photographs of Zuma wrestling legends like Andre the Giant.

Elmendorf - Anywhere except Hooters--they really managed to mess that place up.

Lakenheath/Mildenhall - "The Swan" in Fincham has the best Thai food I've ever had.

LovedtoFly
08-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Ramstien - Downtown in Landstuhl is the New York Deli - The best Donner Kabobs!!

Port Dawg
08-13-2013, 05:02 PM
What year did you go to that place? 1955? It's MUCH nicer now, VERY clean and not a dump at all.

(In response to the guy who said the place on the B50 and Bitburg in Spang was a dump...it's really nice now! And the waitresses are much hotter)

Ace Airspeed
08-13-2013, 05:35 PM
dan5522

Wasn't one of the owners of Three Brothers involved in that foiled terrorist plot at Fort Dix a few years back?

That wasn't Three Brothers. It was Super Mario's across the street and right next to the Credit Union. It was the owner's son, if memory serves me. Super Mario's had some good food and did a busy lunch service with the base. It closed down soon after the Fort Dix 6 mess.

Kicker47
08-13-2013, 06:20 PM
At Minot, it's not so much "favorite restaurants" as "restaurants that usually aren't horrible". I was stationed up there for 12 years, and I really can't pick one place that I would say was a "favorite". I remember driving 2 hours to Bismark just to eat Sbarro, if that gives you any indication of the local food.

At Andersen: Jamaican Grill was very good, but it tore me up something fierce. it was usually worth it, though. There was an Italian place in Tumon, Vitale's, that was very good.

Here at Tinker: Loved me some Van's Pig Stand. Sadly, my local Van's was literally blown away by the tornado...nothing but an empty concrete pad now. Sandro's Pizza is awesome. Falcone's Pizza was also good, but they closed their location across the street from the base. Pop's on Route 66 has exceptional breakfast.

js7799
08-13-2013, 06:25 PM
What year did you go to that place? 1955? It's MUCH nicer now, VERY clean and not a dump at all.

(In response to the guy who said the place on the B50 and Bitburg in Spang was a dump...it's really nice now! And the waitresses are much hotter)

I went there in either 07 or 08. Maybe I hit it on a bad day, but it was bad enough to keep me from going back.

ThaBufe
08-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Langley: Andrea's Pizza, Tokyo Japanese steakhouse, Palm Tree (excellent Caribbean Food), County Grill, and when you're in a hurry Smitty's Better Burger is pretty great.

Tyndall: Pineapple Willy's, Kiku Sushi Bar & Grill (looks like crap, but the Sushi is incredible), and pretty much any seafood place.

Maxwell-Gunter: Green Papaya (Thai), Mings Garden (Chinese, damn expensive but it's the best Chinese I've ever had), Tomatinos Pizza.