PDA

View Full Version : Purge the generals

efmbman
08-09-2013, 12:07 AM
A great article on Armed Force Journal:

Link: http://armedforcesjournal.com/article/2013/08/14067080

The intro:

The U.S. Army’s generals, as a group, have lost the ability to effectively function at the high level required of those upon whom we place the responsibility for safeguarding our nation. Over the past 20 years, our senior leaders have amassed a record of failure in major organizational, acquisition and strategic efforts. These failures have been accompanied by the hallmarks of an organization unable and unwilling to fix itself: aggressive resistance to the reporting of problems, suppression of failed test results, public declarations of success where none was justified, and the absence of accountability.

If you can't read it, just create a free account. All you need is an email address.

UH1FE
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Pretty much sounds like every general I have ever met.

Measure Man
08-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Becasue the military can not hire outside talent at the general level.

We are all grown in an incestuous environment.

Dickie
08-09-2013, 03:03 PM
That and we have to "think outside the box" on a lot of things, not just do what we have done in the past to continue to thrive and survive. We have folks that spent the last 40 years or so conforming to a way of thinking in the instutuion that is the military. I don't know how we can fix this. Also, what MM said.

Dis_Grunt_Led
08-10-2013, 12:35 AM
I would make one correction and restate it as, "The U.S. generals" rather than just those in the Army. The worst part is that even when they royally screw-up, they're just forced to retire. Granted, sometimes they lose a star or bump back to colonel or lieutenant colonel, but they still end up making bank and getting sweet jobs as consultants for some "think tank" or become the dean of some premier university. Those of lesser rank, regardless of how many years they put in, simply get canned.

MRMIXITUP
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Just hire contractors!! That always works every other time!

Gonzo432
08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Just hire contractors!! That always works every other time!

Where do I send my resume?? I'll do it for 75% of the pay and 50% of the entourage.

ImpliedConsent
08-15-2013, 08:15 PM
(Warning - Army Experience Here): I think we've all met some pretty fantastic flag officers - the kind who make things happen. In my 22yr military experience (not counting being an Army brat of an E9 - RIP Dad) I've learned that many (most?) are in "STAFF GO'' 'react' mode to a good idea fairy a notch or two above them. Those notches above them are usually reacting to some situation that happened and they want to either emulate or mitigate the same thing. It's usually either through some IO assignment or through public scrutiny that hits the media.

There are very rare exceptions today. Those exceptions are usually GOs in theater who pick fantastic and tested staff and are making decisions based off their excellent staff's work. I don't place these 'decision' GOs in the mainstream and they are usually found spending much of their career in theater, FBNC or Tampa. Politically, they might not go above a star or 2 because they are seen as the John Wayne's of the military and 'staff' GOs are intimidated or find them threatening to their ambitions.

Should we cull the GOs? Probably, but maybe look more at the officer rate overall. 21% of Active Duty are officers (Warrants included). Of that number, 36% of them are field grade officers. In my 6 (long) combat tours (2003-present), I can count on my 9 fingers (yea, lost one) how many of those field grades went on missions pushing over mud walls of Afghanistan or cleared a slum in Iraq, slipping on the guts of some 4yr old. They'll lead from a TOC/JOC or worse, their Mahogany desk staring at NIPR/SIPR/'next-flavor-of-international-system'.
It's the Aviation WO1-WO4s (sorry support Warrants - E6+ could do your job), O1-O3s who are eating the shit sandwiches. Its no wonder they do not worry about MRDs - they get shit by the field grades who, in turn, are being shit on by the flag officers - and say screw it - I'm out (oh and then get shit on by VA-Congress). 15-6's all around!

Yep, my papers are in - I made it to where I want to be - after this year, no more wars to fight, so whats the point of being in the military? - so it's time to learn how to make that perfect fly and think like my prey. Maybe I'll make a fly so perfect that they'll name it after me. (Hey, a guy can dream can't he?)

/slipped-off-soapbox-add-20%-VA

Dis_Grunt_Led
08-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Good run-down ImpliedConsent. I'm teetering on dropping my own papers, but just can't seem to pull the trigger despite some of what you mentioned and various other BS. Just have to find a hobby I like first then I should be good. We'll see!