PDA

View Full Version : Career Path Change

BOSS302
08-08-2013, 09:33 PM
It's time. I'm at that phase in my career where, if I'm going to be doing 20+, I need to step outside my AFSC for a tour and do something.

I've talked a lot of "talk" about airmen and NCOs and standards. It's time I do some walking where the river has its source. The job I want is full of challenges: a climate of guilt before innocence, a soft-touch approach that I hate, and a relaxing of standards in the face of political correctness. I like a challenge and will conduct myself in this job in a manner befitting how the job "should" be.

I can't be an MTL because they are the NCO-equivalent of golden retrievers; nice bark and pretty to look at but abso-fucking-useless unless you want to fetch something (not that I've seen MTLs fetch anything other than 341s).

I can't be a recruiter because I am bad at selling things.

I don't want to be a PME instructor.

Tomorrow, I'll start my process towards becoming an MTI. Look for me in the Air Force Times sometime in 2014...

"Air Force MTI Court-Martialed for Denying Trainees Request to Update Facebook Status During Pass & Review

Measure Man
08-08-2013, 09:44 PM
It's time. I'm at that phase in my career where, if I'm going to be doing 20+, I need to step outside my AFSC for a tour and do something.

I've talked a lot of "talk" about airmen and NCOs and standards. It's time I do some walking where the river has its source. The job I want is full of challenges: a climate of guilt before innocence, a soft-touch approach that I hate, and a relaxing of standards in the face of political correctness. I like a challenge and will conduct myself in this job in a manner befitting how the job "should" be.

I can't be an MTL because they are the NCO-equivalent of golden retrievers; nice bark and pretty to look at but abso-fucking-useless unless you want to fetch something (not that I've seen MTLs fetch anything other than 341s).

I can't be a recruiter because I am bad at selling things.

I don't want to be a PME instructor.

Tomorrow, I'll start my process towards becoming an MTI. Look for me in the Air Force Times sometime in 2014...

"Air Force MTI Court-Martialed for Denying Trainees Request to Update Facebook Status During Pass & Review

Good luck and thank you for your service.

raustin0017
08-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Good choice....
How many yrs do you have in?
Not for sure...but I bet your a TSgt?

Class5Kayaker
08-08-2013, 09:52 PM
"Air Force MTI Court-Martialed for Denying Trainees Request to Update Facebook Status During Pass & Review"

LMFAO!!!:lmao:

BOSS302
08-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Good choice....
How many yrs do you have in?
Not for sure...but I bet your a TSgt?

10.5 years in, TSgt. I like my job but, as everyone already knows, the Air Force wants more from their people than just what they do in their job. It definitely is not a snap decision; I've been looking at extra duties for about two years now.

imported_AFKILO7
08-08-2013, 10:16 PM
BOSS302 I wish you the best of luck. Who knows we may cross paths one day if you end up here at Lackland.

UH1FE
08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Dont be afraid to retrain if you want to do something different. I am about to for the second time. This time for medical reason though.

BadBender
08-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Sir I applaud your interest in shaping tomorrows Airmen. One of my NCOs just completed a TDY down there assisting the cadre. I would highly advise you to talk to the people down there right now and find out what has been going on since the sexual scandals. The things my NCO told me he saw and the policies in place now would make me steer clear of that base and that mission for the time being.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
MTI is the only special duty you can find? You might want to talk to Smeghead for some straight dope about it; because it doesn't sound like a very good place to be right now.

Regardless, good luck!

UncaRastus
08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Good luck with your choice of fields. Back in the day, and I suspect that hasn't changed, the USMC gave two choices for extra duty fields Corps wide. One either had to be a Recruiter, or a Drill Instructor. If anyone wanted to be promoted beyond a certain point, there were the aforegoing choices.

Chief_KO
08-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Congratulations and I wish you the best of success!
One good thing about joining an organization when it is on the bottom, there is no where to go but up. BMT will rebound and be better than ever and you will be one of those to make it so.
The rewards (personal & professional) of educating, motivating, training, and inspiring hundreds of Airmen a year are awesome. I was a tech school instructor for 4 years and that was one of the best times in my career.

AFcynic
08-09-2013, 12:34 AM
I am a former MTI, and I can honestly tell you that I would never recommend this job to anyone. The best part of the job is watching the trainees develop into the finished product. That's the result of your effort, and it is rewarding. It's the trainees that flat out suck at life that will ruin you. If you hold them accountable, and they don't like what or how you said it, they know they can critique you, and you're gone. Don't think for a single second that leadership (officer or senior enlisted) has your back. The SNCO MTI corps has their hands tied behind their back, and they spend their days making sure they stay out of trouble. The lack of backbone from these people is shocking. They may know you are innocent, but in order to make sure they don't get in trouble, they won't say a word.

The right thing be damned, I'm looking out for my next stripe. There are piss poor attitudes all around BMT, and I firmly believe attitude reflects leadership.

Gonzo432
08-09-2013, 12:47 AM
MTI is a job people should have their hand up for, not being dragged to Lackland kicking and screaming (or "selected" as those doing the selecting say). Somebody's bright idea was to make them TSgts. Find out what your getting into, if you still want to do it? I say go for it!

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-09-2013, 12:47 AM
10.5 years in, TSgt. I like my job but, as everyone already knows, the Air Force wants more from their people than just what they do in their job. It definitely is not a snap decision; I've been looking at extra duties for about two years now.

Congrats T.Q. Just don't turn back into Forsaken Wombat around your BMTS Campus CC. ;)

Airborne
08-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Dont fall into the trap that you "must" do something to make chief or whatever though it does look good. If youre doing it just to check the promotion box thats the wrong reason and symptomatic of what the air force has become and may cause you to hold disdain for the job. All that withstanding, there are more things out there than the "big 4". Also think about being an instructor for your AFSC, and many of the lesser known special duties that "count". Also dont count yourself out of being a good salesman or golden retriever. You never know what you will be good at or what you will love.

Silverback
08-09-2013, 03:13 AM

I wish you all the best of luck. I am sure that you are going to be a positive influence.

euripedes
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Good on you man. Make sure you talk to your Chief first. MTI is one of the special duties on the new "nominative" process list. And all the jobs qualifications for each of them have been upgraded in some way or another. I don't know if you can straight apply anymore or if you'll have to be nominated by you commander when your Group CC is given the request for nominations.

Gonzo432
08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Good on you man. Make sure you talk to your Chief first. MTI is one of the special duties on the new "nominative" process list. And all the jobs qualifications for each of them have been upgraded in some way or another. I don't know if you can straight apply anymore or if you'll have to be nominated by you commander when your Group CC is given the request for nominations.

Nominative? Is that what the young folks are calling non-volunteer these days? You can put a dress on a pig, but in the end you've got a pig and you wasted a lot of time.

Gonzo
08-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Not sure what MTLs you've been in contact with but if that's all they appeared to do then they were sorry MTLs to begin with. I was an MTL and it was the most demanding and rewarding job I have done in 20+ years. This is coming from someone that greatly enjoyed my primary AFSC too.

euripedes
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Nominative? Is that what the young folks are calling non-volunteer these days? You can put a dress on a pig, but in the end you've got a pig and you wasted a lot of time.

I guess you could say that. They just released this entire process so it's new. Biggest difference is now it's not AFPC picking the names, unit commanders will have to nominate their people when the request comes down to the wing. I think it's a 5 rating on the last 3 EPR's. Must have your CCAF or be within one year of attaining it. 80 or above on your last two PT test or 90 or above on the most recent PT test. There's more but that's some of the criteria. And of course your commander saying you're the man/woman for the job. Good on him for volunteering but honestly if you're doing a good job in any AFSC, you're probably going to be headed to a special duty in the next 5-7 years.

Smeghead
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
You poor bastard. j/k

Hit me up if you want some recent info. I'm still here on Lackland and stay in touch with a lot of the guys.

BENDER56
08-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you've already decided, but did you consider being a tech training instructor?

DWWSWWD
08-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Congratulations. MTL is the ultimate Developmental Special Duty. If not you, then who? Good on you.

loadsmith
08-09-2013, 05:57 PM
It's time. I'm at that phase in my career where, if I'm going to be doing 20+, I need to step outside my AFSC for a tour and do something. [/I]

Not too sure about your family situation but what about Defense Attache or a Defense Courier? Attache may be a good gig depending on your location and language learning abilities. Courier requires a TS and the ability to fly from point A to B and maybe see a little of the world.

Best of luck in your choice