PDA

View Full Version : Cross Fit and Safety

Absinthe Anecdote
08-03-2013, 03:11 PM
While Cross Fit is an excellent workout it seems like a big safety hazard to me when done in large groups.

At my gym this morning the cross fit group was running around the building carrying 45 lb plates. Some of them were in very close proximity to each other and they were grasping the plates by the edges with one or both hands and constantly shift and adjusting their grip. It is only a matter of time before some drops one of those plates on their foot or the person next to them.

I’ve also seen them working out with the kettle balls and it is nerve wracking to watch them swinging those things around each other.

I go to a civilian gym now but I used to see some crazy things in Air Force gyms. I’ve never seen anyone get hit by a 45 lb plate but did know a guy who had one dropped on his foot. It was a very serious injury and he required surgery and about a year to fully recover.

Has anyone seen this before and are the Cross Fit/P90X/Insanity work out people still clogging up the military gyms?

Stalwart
08-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't see too many people at the gyms I use (Pentagon, House & Senate Gym & Fort Meade) doing it any more. It was really, REALLY popular at deployment sites (probably influenced by people having fewer 'personal life' distractions.)

I have done both P90X and Insanity, I like Insanity better since it doesn't require any extra equipment.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Lots of people into these fad workouts where I'm at.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-03-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't see too many people at the gyms I use (Pentagon, House & Senate Gym & Fort Meade) doing it any more. It was really, REALLY popular at deployment sites (probably influenced by people having fewer 'personal life' distractions.)

I have done both P90X and Insanity, I like Insanity better since it doesn't require any extra equipment.

I used a modified version of P90X and I think it is a great work out. All that crazy stuff with flinging weights around while other people are in close proximity is just asking for trouble.

I hate the gym I'm currently using not only because of that but because there are too many cute females. While it is always nice to see a cute girl in spandex it is also very distracting! Plus, it causes a chain reaction of posturing and posing amongst the males that invariably pisses me off.

However, the cross fit squad is the worst because I always feel like I’m on the verge of witnessing a horrible accident.

I wish I could find an old fashioned gritty grimy gym like the one Rocky Balboa used in the first movie.

Rainmaker
08-03-2013, 05:35 PM
I used a modified version of P90X and I think it is a great work out. All that crazy stuff with flinging weights around while other people are in close proximity is just asking for trouble.

I hate the gym I'm currently using not only because of that but because there are too many cute females. While it is always nice to see a cute girl in spandex it is also very distracting! Plus, it causes a chain reaction of posturing and posing amongst the males that invariably pisses me off.

However, the cross fit squad is the worst because I always feel like I’m on the verge of witnessing a horrible accident.

I wish I could find an old fashioned gritty grimy gym like the one Rocky Balboa used in the first movie.

Rainmaker gets sick of seeing these cross-fit assholes using up half the equipment in the gym at one time to get their workout on. Give me a fucking break. There's a difference between exercise and athletic conditioning. Half these idiots end up in the clinic. and Sleeveless under armor shirt guys looks like pussies lifting weights with gloves on. these the same jerks that shave their pubes. Rainmaker agree. Women don't belong in gyms with men. Women Weaken Legs.

jshiver15
08-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Crossfit works if there's a gym that can support it. However, from what I've seen, there are a lot of gyms in the military that dedicate a small area to Crossfit (or TotalFit for legal purposes) and it usually ends up being way too close to other equipment or workout areas. In fact, we had someone doing kettlebell swings and it slipped and put a hole in our basketball court because the Crossfit area is way too close to the basketball court.

In Kuwait, we actually had two large tents dedicated to Crossfit and I never saw or heard of any injuries there.

CYBERFX1024
08-03-2013, 06:00 PM
I have done Crossfit while I was in the Marine Corps. I was trying to get down to a certain waist measurement and it helped a lot. Of course I did it on top of regular PT. But I agree some of the exercises look weird, but they do work the other areas that regular exercise doesn't workout. But now in my civilian life I can't find a good gym that has both. There is a crossfit gym right up the street from me but they are wanting some crazy prices.

garhkal
08-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Personally i would like to see mil gyms start offering parcour training/work out areas..

Absinthe Anecdote
08-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Personally i would like to see mil gyms start offering parcour training/work out areas..

What is that?

Do you mean this stuff?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m68zfdqATk

garhkal
08-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Nope. Parkor is also called freerunning. Its what you see lots of guys getting into these days, and is big in the American Ninja competition!

Absinthe Anecdote
08-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Nope. Parkor is also called freerunning. Its what you see lots of guys getting into these days, and is big in the American Ninja competition!

Yeah, I was just screwing with you about that Body Fuzion video.

Parkour does sound interesting and that type of obstacle course training probably gives you some very useful skills should you ever have to scale a wall or pull yourself up from dangling off a bridge.

I'm more concerned with that kind of physical fitness anyway. The kind that might save your life if you are ever dropped into a glacial crevice, well that and looking good naked.

Silverback
08-04-2013, 04:40 PM

That would be different.

garhkal
08-04-2013, 07:38 PM
And i have seen many 'fat bodies' who are weight lifters/players of most of the sports.. But i have not yet seen a single 'fat body' parkour / freerunner. So if the mil IS hyping up the fitness mantra, this imo is a good way to help out.

Juggs
08-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Nellis has a crossfit/kettle bell area. It's pretty awesome. Those work outs can be great, but whoever said. That can be dangerous is correct. Done in the appropriate areas they can truly male somebody better. However, like everything else, the AF will ruin it.

BOSS302
08-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I almost hit a CrossFitter while riding my bicycle last year at Osan. The CrossFitters have different class periods and one of their periods was during our squadron morning PT. I'm riding normally towards the gym down from that road that runs between the BX and Bldg. 949. As I'm coming into the gym parking lot, a CrossFitter comes sprinting from that little alley carrying two kettle bells. I had to lock-up and almost ate the road in order to avoid hitting him.

And this asshole has the nerve to turn around while still running and yell, "You better watch it!".

A revenge of sorts was had many months later when a group of evening CrossFitters had taken over half of the weight room benches and all of the power racks/squat racks in order to do some screwy circuit exercises. Mind you, Osan has its own dedicated CrossFit room AND the exercises they were doing made absolutely zero use of what the bench press benches and racks are designed for. After a few of us had asked them to stop and got no where, we did the next best thing.

We tattled on them to the gym staff.

They gave the little hottie A1C who was working the front desk a bunch of lip and then just ignored her. When she left and came back with a black MSgt who looked like he could bench press everyone in that room at the same time, they quietly packed their shit and went back to their CrossFit room.

I like CrossFit. I do not like CrossFitters.

Juggs
08-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I almost hit a CrossFitter while riding my bicycle last year at Osan. The CrossFitters have different class periods and one of their periods was during our squadron morning PT. I'm riding normally towards the gym down from that road that runs between the BX and Bldg. 949. As I'm coming into the gym parking lot, a CrossFitter comes sprinting from that little alley carrying two kettle bells. I had to lock-up and almost ate the road in order to avoid hitting him.

And this asshole has the nerve to turn around while still running and yell, "You better watch it!".

A revenge of sorts was had many months later when a group of evening CrossFitters had taken over half of the weight room benches and all of the power racks/squat racks in order to do some screwy circuit exercises. Mind you, Osan has its own dedicated CrossFit room AND the exercises they were doing made absolutely zero use of what the bench press benches and racks are designed for. After a few of us had asked them to stop and got no where, we did the next best thing.

They gave the little hottie A1C who was working the front desk a bunch of lip and then just ignored her. When she left and came back with a black MSgt who looked like he could bench press everyone in that room at the same time, they quietly packed their shit and went back to their CrossFit room.

I love it.

"Crossfit? I play real sports. I'm not trying to be the best at working!!!" Eastbound and down.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I love it.

"Crossfit? I play real sports. I'm not trying to be the best at working!!!" Eastbound and down.

What is Eastbound and Down? Is it that sport where one tries to smuggle cases of Coors beer from Texarkana to Atlanta whilst being pursued by State Troopers and one very tenacious but comical County Mountie?

The concept sounds intriguing but I don't know if I could handle all that constant jabbering on the CB radio.

It certainly sounds like a whacky romp through Southern culture but that type of workout isn't for me.

PS

Those sequel workouts that involve smuggling elephants with Dom Deluise and the multiple Jackie Gleasons are just tremendously dumb!

jshiver15
08-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I love it.

"Crossfit? I play real sports. I'm not trying to be the best at exercising!!!" Eastbound and down.

Fixed it for you. And by the way, "You're fucking out!"

:usa'Merica:usa

Juggs
08-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Damn. Thanks for the pick up.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-08-2013, 08:23 PM

Is eastbound and down softball lingo? I'm asking a serious question this time!

jshiver15
08-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Is eastbound and down softball lingo? I'm asking a serious question this time!

It was a show on HBO about a relief MLB pitcher played by Danny McBride. Pretty raunchy but pretty awesome.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-08-2013, 08:40 PM
It was a show on HBO about a relief MLB pitcher played by Danny McBride. Pretty raunchy but pretty awesome.

Thanks! I really thought Juggs was talking about Smokey and the Bandit.

garhkal
08-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Same here. The sound track song for that film had those lyrics.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-08-2013, 09:11 PM
It is perhaps one of the more sinister earwig songs of all time.

Speaking of cross fit and circuit training, wouldn’t it be a laugh riot to put in some really chaotic banjo music while they cross fitters are doing their routine?

BigBaze
08-08-2013, 09:56 PM

I have always said it this way, Crossfitters are the hipsters of the workout world. They are incredibly snarky, spend a lot on clothing that says Crossfit on it, and walk around in their 5 finger shoes, talking about Crossfit to anyone who will listen. To them, everyone who does not do Crossfit is inferior. That comment about them taking up an entire gym is perfectly correct. While last deployed there was this one SF female that would work out in neon headband, high socks and workout gear, and would set up at least 7 stations just for her, and if you got anywhere near them she would flip out. It got to the point where we would do it just to rile her up. Their douchebaggery is almost on the level of the bros that just pose by the mirrors for an hour, drinking their pre workout drinks. That being said, I have some good friends that do both and don't think that much less of them:)

BOSS302
08-08-2013, 10:22 PM
I have always said it this way, Crossfitters are the hipsters of the workout world. They are incredibly snarky, spend a lot on clothing that says Crossfit on it, and walk around in their 5 finger shoes, talking about Crossfit to anyone who will listen. To them, everyone who does not do Crossfit is inferior. That comment about them taking up an entire gym is perfectly correct. While last deployed there was this one SF female that would work out in neon headband, high socks and workout gear, and would set up at least 7 stations just for her, and if you got anywhere near them she would flip out. It got to the point where we would do it just to rile her up. Their douchebaggery is almost on the level of the bros that just pose by the mirrors for an hour, drinking their pre workout drinks. That being said, I have some good friends that do both and don't think that much less of them:)

I can put on a pair of old shorts and a white t-shirt with my regular workout shoes, go in the backyard or to the field at the track, and do my own CrossFit style workouts FOR FREE. I never understood why people will spend hundreds of dollars on workout gear, memberships, and supplements.

$90.00 at GNC for some ON Hydro Whey or $15 for a week's worth of tuna packets, eggs you can hard-boil, veggies, and water from the tap?

Juggs
08-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Jealousy isn't a good scent on you.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-09-2013, 02:42 PM
I wonder how long this cross-fit fad thingy will last.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-09-2013, 02:59 PM

It is actually a damn good work out even though I've been ragging on it. It just gets so damn disruptive and isn't very safe when done in large groups in a small space.

Civilian gyms are even worse when you add the aspect of guys and girls trying to impress each other.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-09-2013, 03:31 PM
It is actually a damn good work out even though I've been ragging on it. It just gets so damn disruptive and isn't very safe when done in large groups in a small space.

Civilian gyms are even worse when you add the aspect of guys and girls trying to impress each other.

I've heard great things about crossfit. Fact remains, the ONLY exercises that have ever survived the test of time are your basic weight training, cardio machines, running, walking, biking, swimming, and maybe even spinning. Everything else, including Cross-fit, Insanity, PX90, that Zumba silliness, etc will fade away and be replaced by something else...all in due time.

BigBaze
08-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Jealousy isn't a good scent on you.

Honestly I don't care.. I do my normal workouts and don't make a big deal or scene about it. All I would like is to come into the gym and use a machine without one person hogging 6 of them at once or freaking out if I happen to be using the one they wanted at the time. No yeah..no jealous, not in the least.

BigBaze
08-09-2013, 05:47 PM

I have nothing against it, like I said before I have mixed some workouts into my routine because I like variety, and a lot of the guys/gals I fly with do it. But overall it's no fun when a lot of them are there, you constantly have to deal with "you're not doing it right" or them constantly getting annoyed with you using a certain spot or spots. I guess I can just get mad jacked in the regular gym or turn the ladies heads when I'm doing laps..j/k :)

garhkal
08-09-2013, 07:11 PM

Saw that when we were deployed in Fallujah. That is one reason i usually stick to the elypiticals or run outside..

Juggs
08-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Honestly I don't care.. I do my normal workouts and don't make a big deal or scene about it. All I would like is to come into the gym and use a machine without one person hogging 6 of them at once or freaking out if I happen to be using the one they wanted at the time. No yeah..no jealous, not in the least.

So you do care. You just aren't jealous. Besides I was joking.

js7799
08-12-2013, 04:41 PM
The part about Crossfit I find dangerous are the overzealous PTLs that are hardcore into it and expect everyone during PT to feel the same. Doing a Crossfit-style workout one day a week is asking for injury. We would get beat to death on a Wednesday doing burpees, lunges and squats, and not be able to walk without pain again until the following Monday.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
The part about Crossfit I find dangerous are the overzealous PTLs that are hardcore into it and expect everyone during PT to feel the same. Doing a Crossfit-style workout one day a week is asking for injury. We would get beat to death on a Wednesday doing burpees, lunges and squats, and not be able to walk without pain again until the following Monday .

You should be thanking that PTL for a good workout! That pain is a good thing, embrace it, just don't start walking around the gym like a peacock wearing flashy Under Armor and fingerless gloves.

js7799
08-12-2013, 05:01 PM
You should be thanking that PTL for a good workout! That pain is a good thing, embrace it, just don't start walking around the gym like a peacock wearing flashy Under Armor and fingerless gloves.

Which is fine if I planned on continuing to do Crossfit, but I don't.

Juggs
08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
The part about Crossfit I find dangerous are the overzealous PTLs that are hardcore into it and expect everyone during PT to feel the same. Doing a Crossfit-style workout one day a week is asking for injury. We would get beat to death on a Wednesday doing burpees, lunges and squats, and not be able to walk without pain again until the following Monday.

I 100% agree with you. Not everybody is at the same level of fitness. I was a PTL, we just did some push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, flutter kicks, leg extensions, and squats. Not many reps and if you couldn't hang I didn't give you crap. At the end of the exercises, I cut folks lose to do cardio on their own. Our CC like how we ran it.

BigBaze
08-12-2013, 08:19 PM
So you do care. You just aren't jealous. Besides I was joking.

Great joke, the only thing I care about is going in and doing my workout without being bothered or harassed by people that think they own the gym..oh yeah I also love turning the desert queens' heads at the chow hall with my big guns as I walk by with my tray of eggs 'n bacon, oh yeahhh.

20+Years
08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
You all make a great case for why I avoid PT in general.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Which is fine if I planned on continuing to do Crossfit, but I don't.

What about smoking your PT test with no problem and being in good shape?

js7799
08-12-2013, 09:49 PM
I score in the 90s and am in decent shape. I don't need a cult to help me pass my test.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Well ok then! I'm not sure how you got me defending cross fit anyway?

I started this thread complaining about them.

71Fish
08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I don't know that I would call it a cult as some have, but just one of the latest fitness trends. I did some crossfit while I was at Kunsan. It was either that or fight for weights and equipment in the crowded gym. That was a couple of years ago, I haven't done it since but I still do some of the movements for core strength. Helps my jiu jitsu.

js7799
08-13-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't know that I would call it a cult as some have, but just one of the latest fitness trends. I did some crossfit while I was at Kunsan. It was either that or fight for weights and equipment in the crowded gym. That was a couple of years ago, I haven't done it since but I still do some of the movements for core strength. Helps my jiu jitsu.

How are your bo staff skillz?

71Fish
08-13-2013, 06:27 PM
How are your bowstaff skillz?

Second to none. Some of the local gangs wanted me to join just because of my bostaff skills.

AFbiatch
08-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Crossfit is going to be around for a long time. Every year it is getting bigger and bigger, they have a crossfit games annually, something you do not get with insanity or P90X. Can you imagine a P90X games?? that would be amusing. Anyway, the Spec ops guys use crossfit and most swear by it. It is cheap to do at home and more USAF are opening up more Crossfit related areas on base. On Langley we have a crossfit related room with all the equipment needed. It is a great workout that is growing.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
08-14-2013, 02:27 AM
Crossfit is going to be around for a long time. Every year it is getting bigger and bigger, they have a crossfit games annually, something you do not get with insanity or P90X. Can you imagine a P90X games?? that would be amusing. Anyway, the Spec ops guys use crossfit and most swear by it. It is cheap to do at home and more USAF are opening up more Crossfit related areas on base. On Langley we have a crossfit related room with all the equipment needed. It is a great workout that is growing.

You mean, the Warrior Room in the ACC gym? It's a nice place for an activity that I personally believe won't last indefinitely. Sorry, just my opinion.

AFbiatch
08-14-2013, 12:49 PM
You mean, the Warrior Room in the ACC gym? It's a nice place for an activity that I personally believe won't last indefinitely. Sorry, just my opinion.

I believe it will last, only because the spent all that money to turn the swimming pool into a crossfit/alternative fitness room. Also we have a few coaches, qualified to teach crossfit, and the classes just keep getting bigger. Every week we have at least 1 new person in class. So long as we have people coming, there is no reason why ACC will close that room.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I believe it will last, only because the spent all that money to turn the swimming pool into a crossfit/alternative fitness room. Also we have a few coaches, qualified to teach crossfit, and the classes just keep getting bigger. Every week we have at least 1 new person in class. So long as we have people coming, there is no reason why ACC will close that room.

Damn! You talked me into it! I don't want to sound like an old fuddy-duddy calling it a fad that won't last.

I'm jumping on the band wagon today and I might as well treat myself to some new work out gear.

Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a Flash Gordon Yellow and Electric Blue spandex body suit?

garhkal
08-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Crossfit is going to be around for a long time. Every year it is getting bigger and bigger, they have a crossfit games annually, something you do not get with insanity or P90X. .

I have watched the Crossfit games and some of those competitions look tough as heck.

technomage1
01-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I saw this article which reminded me of it.

technomage1
01-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Post above wouldn't let me edit or delete it, here's another try to post the story link.

technomage1
01-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Thread is jacked up... add http and www to the below.

.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/17/the-horrifying-moment-a-man-snaps-his-spine-while-lifting-weights/