PDA

View Full Version : So about that inappropriate material inspection ...

Smeghead
08-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Guess af.mil is off limits now.

http://www.af.mil/News/Photos.aspx?igphoto=2000698864

technomage1
08-03-2013, 01:03 AM

What's a woman running - in a tshirt no less - have to do with inappropriate material?

Oh..I see it now.

BRUWIN
08-03-2013, 01:09 AM

As an MTI...it has to be different for you to see female airmen with their shirts on and not being able to order that they take them off..

Rainmaker
08-03-2013, 03:46 PM

nice one! a Girl without freckles is like a night without stars..

Rainmaker
08-03-2013, 03:49 PM
What's a woman running - in a tshirt no less - have to do with inappropriate material?

Oh..I see it now.

Circuit breakers trippin.

jshiver15
08-03-2013, 04:26 PM
When deployed, we had a poster of a silhouette of a woman running at sunrise and it said "Just remember that someone is out there running harder than you" and they pulled it out of our gym because they said it was consistent with a culture of sexual abuse. Still haven't figured out how the silhouette of a person can be that offensive.

efmbman
08-03-2013, 04:56 PM
When deployed, we had a poster of a silhouette of a woman running at sunrise and it said "Just remember that someone is out there running harder than you" and they pulled it out of our gym because they said it was consistent with a culture of sexual abuse. Still haven't figured out how the silhouette of a person can be that offensive.

This is a good example of how this can never be "fixed". You have a poster showing a woman running, which should be good as it promotes equality since women are perfectly capable of running and running well. But... it seems having a picture of a woman running somehow promotes sexual abuse. I don't see how either, but as long as someone does I guess it is true. So let's hang up posters showing a man running. But wait! That could be viewed as sexist with the implication that only a man can run like that. Women are equals dammit so show a woman running! We can't, as we have already seen.

Can we show a man and a woman running? They would have to be side by side because if the woman is in front, it may be viewed as a man chasing a woman to sexually assault her. If the man is in front, it may be viewed as the man is athletically superior to the woman. Must portray women as equals.

Can anyone find any possible fault with a poster of a man and a woman running together side by side?

technomage1
08-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Ther is nothing wrong with the picture shown in the OP nor was there anything wrong with the gym. The only thing wrong with the offensive material policy is there are idiots "enforcing" it.

Smeghead
08-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Ther is nothing wrong with the picture shown in the OP nor was there anything wrong with the gym. The only thing wrong with the offensive material policy is there are idiots "enforcing" it.

You mean like people who pulled the magnetic letters because they had the potential to create offensive messages? That was actually in the report, don't remember what MAJCOM.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-03-2013, 06:13 PM
You mean like people who pulled the magnetic letters because they had the potential to create offensive messages? That was actually in the report, don't remember what MAJCOM.

When I was a young troop I used to live to get a hold of magnetic letters to re-arrange and I really caused a lot of mischief once dry erase boards became popular.

Yep, that sort of thing was right up my alley but in all fairness to magnetic letters and dry erase boards, it wasn’t their fault, I was to blame.

I was clever enough not to get caught or spell out anything bad enough to launch an investigation. Well, except for the time I made up a phony person and put him on the inbound personnel board and a SSgt Phil McCracken got put into the CCs briefing slides. They looked into that one.

garhkal
08-03-2013, 06:22 PM
This is a good example of how this can never be "fixed". You have a poster showing a woman running, which should be good as it promotes equality since women are perfectly capable of running and running well. But... it seems having a picture of a woman running somehow promotes sexual abuse. I don't see how either, but as long as someone does I guess it is true. So let's hang up posters showing a man running. But wait! That could be viewed as sexist with the implication that only a man can run like that. Women are equals dammit so show a woman running! We can't, as we have already seen.

Can we show a man and a woman running? They would have to be side by side because if the woman is in front, it may be viewed as a man chasing a woman to sexually assault her. If the man is in front, it may be viewed as the man is athletically superior to the woman. Must portray women as equals.

Can anyone find any possible fault with a poster of a man and a woman running together side by side?

nope, but its like some places i have been where someone had a fireman's calender (buff men in firemans outfits many times with bare chests), but if a swimsuit calendar was out, it was considered harassment.

Gonzo432
08-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Hopefully someone stopped them before they confiscated all the keyboards.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Hopefully someone stopped them before they confiscated all the keyboards.

Hee Hee... Too funny!

I really wish the had those inspections when I was still in. I would have been suggesting crap like that right and left with the most serious look on my face as possible.

The only way to combat stuff like that is to go overboard with it until someone high enough up the chain comes to their senses and puts a stop to it.

loggie94
08-05-2013, 05:27 AM
Hee Hee... Too funny!

I really wish the had those inspections when I was still in. I would have been suggesting crap like that right and left with the most serious look on my face as possible.

The only way to combat stuff like that is to go overboard with it until someone high enough up the chain comes to their senses and puts a stop to it.

Except that this one started at the top...with common sense put into the plan. The common sense got filtered out as the plan spread and got implemented by a broad range of folks -- some of which understood the CSAF's intent, and many of which who missed the point and went overboard collecting every exercise magazine, innocent running poster, and magnetic word board they could find.

BOSS302
08-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Except that this one started at the top...with common sense put into the plan. The common sense got filtered out as the plan spread and got implemented by a broad range of folks -- some of which understood the CSAF's intent, and many of which who missed the point and went overboard collecting every exercise magazine, innocent running poster, and magnetic word board they could find.

All while keeping a mental note of how many items they confiscated so that they could write an awesome EPR/OPR bullet back at their office.

garhkal
08-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Exactly.. Sometimes i feel that is all the reasoning they need for doing this stuff.

106PADDOCK
08-05-2013, 10:27 PM
nice one! a Girl without freckles is like a night without stars..

You are so very correct! I love freckles on the ladies and I am not above telling them how great they make her look!!!

imported_AFKILO7
08-06-2013, 12:37 AM
I've got an awesome picture for this thread...how do I post it?

Class5Kayaker
08-06-2013, 08:40 PM
I've got an awesome picture for this thread...how do I post it?

I posted instructions about a month ago HERE (http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1596287-AF-leaders-stand-behind-civilians-during-tough-furlough-times/page2). Hope it helps!