PDA

View Full Version : To our new ForumModerators

Bourne
08-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Hello MTF,

I'd like to formally announce the presence of new forum moderators. Forum moderators are diligently working behind the scenes to make sure this forum remains fun, interesting, and most importantly, inclusive of all its members Active, Retired, Loved Ones, young, old, and everyone in between.

They were asked to take this on by ForumAdmin as a volunteer and they gladly agreed. Most of these individuals have chosen to remain anonymous and so they will never get a personal thank you for their efforts. Together they have served several decades in the armed forces, and each one of them genuinely cares about our community and with making sure this forum is the best place to gather and engage like-minded folks.

We owe them a debt of gratitude. Let's give them a round of applause.

I would like to thank, personally and on behalf of the staff at Military Times, each of the Moderators for their efforts.

Thank you.

efmbman
08-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks for stepping up! Here's to hoping that the efforts are understood and appreciated by all users. Speaking from experience, it is a thankless job for sure.

wildman
08-02-2013, 06:35 PM
I add my thanks as well. Now I know what some individuals think of me and that is okay cause I think they know what I think of them. I also know that moderating a forum can be a bigger job than a lot of people realize so again thanks to those who have taken on this responsibility. I look forward to this forum being a place where all interested in military related matters feel welcome and safe.

Always,
Wildman

RobotChicken
08-02-2013, 06:37 PM
"Great! Now I can be a 'Good Robot Chicken' stress free on here!" (insults I will leave up to you to handle)

CrustySMSgt
08-02-2013, 06:39 PM
"Great! Now I can be a 'Good Robot Chicken' stress free on here!" (insults I will leave up to you to handle)

AN RC post with no smilies?!?

http://cdn.techipedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/ban_him_sm1.jpg

RobotChicken
08-02-2013, 06:45 PM
AN RC post with no smilies?!?

http://cdn.techipedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/ban_him_sm1.jpg

"I'll save them for a REAL Rainy day just for you 'Crusty' to liven up Your day!" 'RC'.....:wink1:

DocBones
08-03-2013, 12:17 AM
FA (original), thanks for all that you have done! I think that you showed some real guts!

New FAs, welcome to here and now, in the MTF!

Yep, I know that some of the posters will say something about my stance, but the rules are the rules, and without the rules being enforced, this place was becoming an anarchy.

RobotChicken
08-03-2013, 04:54 AM
'Nite all MTF folks...."

TJMAC77SP
08-05-2013, 03:34 PM
FA (original), thanks for all that you have done! I think that you showed some real guts!

New FAs, welcome to here and now, in the MTF!

Yep, I know that some of the posters will say something about my stance, but the rules are the rules, and without the rules being enforced, this place was becoming an anarchy.

I disagree on that point. Considering the MTF narrowly things got pretty heated with a small number of posters contributing to the chaos but I think now we are potentially swinging to the other end of the spectrum.

I consider it a vast difference to have a very spirited discourse (which gets a tinge nasty) and to just throw personal insults and homoerotic taunts. It seems we will now be doing away with both (potentially).

EDIT: perhaps I will be proven wrong. I for one miss JoeB.

AlexCross
08-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Spirited discourse can happen without personal insults. It can also happen without baiting people in order to get a rise. We don't all have to agree on all points but we can all act like adults and not hide behind the anonymity of the internet to say things we would never say in person.

TJMAC77SP
08-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Spirited discourse can happen without personal insults. It can also happen without baiting people in order to get a rise. We don't all have to agree on all points but we can all act like adults and not hide behind the anonymity of the internet to say things we would never say in person.

Not sure that was a point of contention in this discussion.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I disagree on that point. Considering the MTF narrowly things got pretty heated with a small number of posters contributing to the chaos but I think now we are potentially swinging to the other end of the spectrum.

I consider it a vast difference to have a very spirited discourse (which gets a tinge nasty) and to just throw personal insults and homoerotic taunts. It seems we will now be doing away with both (potentially).

EDIT: perhaps I will be proven wrong. I for one miss JoeB.

I also miss Joe B a little bit but I'm entirely comfortable with the pendulum swinging to the other end of the spectrum.

In this new environment of mutual respect and formality, I have taken to donning a crested blazer and tie while browsing the forums. Instead of chugging Yohoo Chocolate Drink (my preferred MTF refreshment) straight from the bottle, I pour it into a chalice. Now, if I could only start wearing pants while posting.

Mjölnir
08-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Now, if I could only start wearing pants while posting.

Minerva
08-06-2013, 07:51 AM

EDIT: perhaps I will be proven wrong.

In a perfect world, forum interactions would mirror real life; unfortunately, some people tend to hide behind a keyboard and either "get in character" to provoke reactions, talk to others in a way they'd never do in the real world, or forget that while they're a stranger, the person they're discussing things with deserves respect.

Gonzo432
08-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Without personal interaction it is hard to tell how something is intended. Maybe along with Times New Roman and Arial we need "Just Kidding 12" and "I am actually agreeing with you, just in a strange way 10" fonts.

TJMAC77SP
08-06-2013, 10:37 AM
In a perfect world, forum interactions would mirror real life; unfortunately, some people tend to hide behind a keyboard and either "get in character" to provoke reactions, talk to others in a way they'd never do in the real world, or forget that while they're a stranger, the person they're discussing things with deserves respect.

Ok

imnohero
08-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Without personal interaction it is hard to tell how something is intended. Maybe along with Times New Roman and Arial we need "Just Kidding 12" and "I am actually agreeing with you, just in a strange way 10" fonts.

Isn't that what the emoticons are for?:playful:

Absinthe Anecdote
08-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Ok

Excellent post, Sir!

Succinct, direct and an obvious acknowledgement; however, there is a hint of cryptic defiance in that little two letter word that reveals an underlying simmering context of total disagreement and contempt.

These guys who want emoticons and a special font type to indicate when they are teasing need to take a lesson from you!

UncaRastus
08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
To all reading this thread,

The moderators are here to stay. We are not leaving. No amount of griping about the group of moderators is going to change the job of moderators keeping an eye out for transgressors of the Forum Guideline.

Anyone in the MTF can state their personal views, however wasting time moaning about posters lost to the MTF and the amount of moderation could be better spent engaging in other threads about things other than the group of moderators now in place.

Have fun! Be serious! Argue if you don't agree with a poster!

All of that was done, is done, and can be done in MTF by the moderator board is not going to be changed by the postings of the few that feel that we are unnecessary.

Read the MTF Guidelines!

If any of the posters go against the MTF Guidelines, they will be reviewed (if not reviewed already), and action will be taken against any posters that ignore the rules.

It can't get any simpler to understand than to read and to acknowledge that all of you have read the MTF Guidelines by not stepping over the line in the postings in the MTF.

Now, all of you posters that feel that you have a belly ache against the standards of the MTF...

Stick around and have fun! Not at the expense of others, breaking the rules. Have fun while checking your ways of being cyberbullies.

Know that the moderators are here to keep the MTF running as smoothly as possible.

Know that there no axes to grind within the moderators, to fling out those that break the MTF Guidelines rules. What has been done and will be done is our job.

We are human, and we try to keep our activities down to a minimum, although it might appear that we rush to judgement, by some of you.

The Rules are the Rules.

If anyone feels offended, it may be wise to review your own actions within the MTF.

If any of you feel that we have been mean, and those persons have not done anything that is censurable, know that there are no feelings of revenge amongst the moderators.

Our job is our job. As plain and simple as that.

Bourne
08-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Also, feel free to PM us over any issues mentioned in the previous post.

Gonzo432
08-15-2013, 06:53 PM

The moderators are here to stay. We are not leaving. No amount of griping about the group of moderators is going to change the job of moderators keeping an eye out for transgressors of the Forum Guideline.

Anyone in the MTF can state their personal views, however wasting time moaning about posters lost to the MTF and the amount of moderation could be better spent engaging in other threads about things other than the group of moderators now in place.

All of that was done, is done, and can be done in MTF by the moderator board is not going to be changed by the postings of the few that feel that we are unnecessary.

Read the MTF Guidelines!

If any of the posters go against the MTF Guidelines, they will be reviewed (if not reviewed already), and action will be taken against any posters that ignore the rules.

It can't get any simpler to understand than to read and to acknowledge that all of you have read the MTF Guidelines by not stepping over the line in the postings in the MTF.

Now, all of you posters that feel that you have a belly ache against the standards of the MTF...

Stick around and have fun! Not at the expense of others, breaking the rules. Have fun while checking your ways of being cyberbullies.

Know that the moderators are here to keep the MTF running as smoothly as possible.

Know that there no axes to grind within the moderators, to fling out those that break the MTF Guidelines rules. What has been done and will be done is our job.

We are human, and we try to keep our activities down to a minimum, although it might appear that we rush to judgement, by some of you.

The Rules are the Rules.

If anyone feels offended, it may be wise to review your own actions within the MTF.

If any of you feel that we have been mean, and those persons have not done anything that is censurable, know that there are no feelings of revenge amongst the moderators.

It's when GIs ain't gripin is when you need to worry.

TJMAC77SP
08-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Read the MTF Guidelines!

The Rules are the Rules.

This is one of several posts which I view as warnings over posting anything regarding the MTF moderators. I am curious if you see the paradox in extoling us to “Have fun! Be serious! Argue if you don't agree with a poster” and yet telling us that “moaning about posters lost to the MTF and the amount of moderation” is not going to pass muster.

This thread has been dormant for over a week and other moderators have already posted nearly identical messages (minus the thinly veiled threats). I am wondering what prompted your post. I haven’t really seen any ‘griping’, moaning. I haven’t seen one post that suggests that anyone has a ‘bellyache against’ the MTF Community Guidelines. Haven’t seen one post that would suggest anyone is offended. Well, in truth I found this post mildly offending but I’ll live.

I also find amusing your selection of an avatar and explanation referring to a ‘hanging judge’. How is anyone to logically assume your moderation will be fair and even handed?

Absinthe Anecdote
08-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm not belly aching but I am rolling my eyes at the hanging judge.

DocBones
08-16-2013, 12:03 AM
AbsintheAnecdote,

I have heard that the Hanging Judge has hanged men for less, back in the day...

RobotChicken
08-16-2013, 12:13 AM
AbsintheAnecdote,

I have heard that the Hanging Judge has hanged men for less, back in the day...

"Right on 'Doc'; forgetting to bring the 'Waragi' to their sentencing."

DocBones
08-16-2013, 12:19 AM
RC,

Looking good today! Did you just have your feathers done?

RobotChicken
08-16-2013, 12:34 AM
RC,

Looking good today! Did you just have your feathers done?

"Thank you; thank you very much 'Doc' for noticing, more then 'MOST' people do around here besides 'picking' my post apart down to the 2 spaces."

DocBones
08-16-2013, 01:13 AM
As they say, "What ya gonna do?", RC. Or was that "Fuggedabouddit..."?

RobotChicken
08-16-2013, 01:28 AM

"Go with the flow 'Doc'; then make 'Chicken Soup'!!" (YUM! Va style, heck with the Yankee type)

Gonzo432
08-16-2013, 01:28 AM

Donnie Brasco? Is that you?

sandsjames
08-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Let this be a lesson to all. Be careful what you ask for! We went from having no moderation to a Big Brotheresque forum.

My opinion, for what it's worth...mods shouldn't get involved unless someone reports something. Proactively getting involved seems a little excessive.

RobotChicken
08-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Let this be a lesson to all. Be careful what you ask for! We went from having no moderation to a Big Brotheresque forum.

My opinion, for what it's worth...mods shouldn't get involved unless someone reports something. Proactively getting involved seems a little excessive.

"Say it aint soooo 'SJ'; heaven forbid!"

Mjölnir
08-16-2013, 05:01 AM

That is in general the rule of the thumb. I was actually surprised at how many people do report posts for the moderators to review, it was more than I would have thought.

TJMAC77SP
08-16-2013, 10:49 AM
That is in general the rule of the thumb. I was actually surprised at how many people do report posts for the moderators to review, it was more than I would have thought.

So what post on this thread got reported? What post warranted a 'reminder' of the MTF rules more than a week later?

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Why the hell are there so many though? It seems like every day there is a new moderator....

20+Years
08-16-2013, 12:52 PM
As I was reading this thread, I began thinking there might be more active moderators than users.

Mjölnir
08-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Just now: There are currently 507 users online. 15 members and 492 guests 0856 EST on August 16th (by the way, it is the anniversary of Elvis' death).

There are a total of 6 moderators and one administrator.

The moderators are not paid and do this in their off time (the most of us I have seen online at once was 3.) Some don't log on every day, that may be why you had not seen all of us so far.

Moderators:
Interceptor
Mjolnir
Minerva
AlexCross
Cerberus
UncaRastus

The administrator (as far as I know) is a paid employee of Gannett, but the regular scope of his job is not administrating MTF.

Administrator:
Bourne

Bourne
08-16-2013, 01:08 PM
We are in a transition period. Naturally, our involvement is higher while we transition this place from, if you'll forgive me of a bad analogy, "Hang 'em High" to "Dr. Quinn."

After this period, our involvement will be less visible. Posts like these are only necessary now, while some members are still testing boundaries. What MTF looks like today, is vastly improved from earlier this year, and is not what it will look like moving forward.

"Move along. Nothing to see here."

20+Years
08-16-2013, 01:27 PM
I'll take that as a reasonable and rational explination. No one can disagree some users were out of hand, but I am feeling we are now over-moderated and was questioning how long I would stick around. We will see what "forward" looks like.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Someone reported me yesterday for improper use of the Packers name.... Mods didn't ban me or anything, just told me to stop being such an @$$... :hippie

On the plus side, while posts overall are down, it does seem like some life is coming to secions other than the AF section... wish the "R#$@n" section would come back but...:tape

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Someone reported me yesterday for improper use of the Packers name.... Mods didn't ban me or anything, just told me to stop being such an @$$... :hippie

I saw you use the term "Packers fan" and thought it was a little disturbing. I didn't report you though.

In the future I wish you would use the term "Steelers fan" to refer to homosexuals.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 02:10 PM
They deleted the banned camp thread? WTH? It was in off topic, not :crucified:.... :wtf2:

sandsjames
08-16-2013, 03:48 PM
They deleted the banned camp thread? WTH? It was in off topic, not :crucified:.... :wtf2:

Getting more and more ridiculous

Bourne
08-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Sigh...

That thread was part of a purge of threads - not unlike this one - that centered entirely on moderation issues. Roughly 20 threads were pulled down in a batch over three weeks ago now. The fact that you didn't really notice until now is an indicator of how much that thread is actually missed.

Regardless of how sincere all the lamentation actually is, that thread was pulled for a legitimate reason: Largely, people could not help themselves from making jabs and insults at those who were banned. It only makes sense to remove needless negativity around past events. You cannot move forward, if you are always looking back.

The utter reluctance to simply, move on, is baffling.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Sigh...

That thread was part of a purge of threads - not unlike this one - that centered entirely on moderation issues. Roughly 20 threads were pulled down in a batch over three weeks ago now. The fact that you didn't really notice until now is an indicator of how much that thread is actually missed.

Regardless of how sincere all the lamentation actually is, that thread was pulled for a legitimate reason: Largely, people could not help themselves from making jabs and insults at those who were banned. It only makes sense to remove needless negativity around past events. You cannot move forward, if you are always looking back.

The utter reluctance to simply, move on, is baffling.

The fact that you are apparently so thin skinned that you apparently can't handle such a thread is quite telling. As I am sure you are not aware, several years ago, there was a thread with a similar title that the Admin actually participated in. It was all in good fun-it was rumored that Alice had a shed in which she held those sent to banned camp and the whole thing was taken in good humor.. It wasn't until the whole "Off Duty" section was deleted that the thread died...

So you theory of administration is that if people can't control themselves, delete the whole thing? Dumb...da....dumb...dumb...dumb....

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1596381-Tell-us-Is-collective-punishment-the-right-way-to-handle-liberty-problems

Creaminess
08-16-2013, 04:10 PM
I think the title of this thread should be something to the effect of "To our new Forum Overlords" or "To our new Fuhrers" (I'm missing the umlaut, but you get the point).

Absinthe Anecdote
08-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm logging off and going to lunch! I think I'll have a big plate of French Cries and a Waah Burger.

Pullinteeth
08-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Are you friggin kidding me? A conversation was occuring which had more than one mod actively participating, one of them got butthurt (about what I don't know) banned one member (probably deservedly) and locked the thread.....

Let me hoist it YET AGAIN....:bsflag:

Cerberus
08-16-2013, 05:12 PM
A necessary action, I'm afraid. As I posted in the other threads, I have appealed to the forum admin, who has the ultimate decision on what actions to take.

As to being "butt-hurt"...no, as you pointed out there was no reason to be. However, neither can we allow a single user to disrupt the forums in such a manner, when his intent was clearly bad.

Bourne
08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Let's break down what happens:

1. Warnings are given to members who disrupt the forum.
2. Warnings are either heeded or not by the member.
3. The member is reprimanded if s/he continues to disrupt the forum.
4. The member then starts threads to complain and curse out the mods, further disrupting the forum.
5. The member is banned. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until a permanent ban is necessary.
6. The distruptive posts and threads then get removed.

Examples:
PickYourBattles
JoeBonham
Godfather/Tak
RobotChicken
Creaminess/Marktrepanier

It's not a complicated process. Perhaps, not one you like, but not complicated, nor biased.

You either follow the rules and stay on MTF or you don't and you leave either on your own accord or because you are banned.
That's the bottom line.
We like you here, but there is no point in arguing that somehow the rules should not be enforced.

sandsjames
08-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Let's break down what happens:

1. Warnings are given to members who disrupt the forum.
2. Warnings are either heeded or not by the member.
3. The member is reprimanded if s/he continues to disrupt the forum.
4. The member then starts threads to complain and curse out the mods, further disrupting the forum.
5. The member is banned. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until a permanent ban is necessary.
6. The distruptive posts and threads then get removed.

Examples:
PickYourBattles
JoeBonham
Godfather/Tak
RobotChicken
Creaminess/Marktrepanier

It's not a complicated process. Perhaps, not one you like, but not complicated, nor biased.

You either follow the rules and stay on MTF or you don't and you leave either on your own accord or because you are banned.
That's the bottom line.
We like you here, but there is no point in arguing that somehow the rules should not be enforced.

I'm guessing you're a SNCO? Sounds like you're trying to run a preschool. This is a freakin online forum for people to vent. It's like with TV. If people don't like what's on a certain channel, they can change it. Oh, wait, that's right. In this day and age it's easier to just cancel the program if someone complains about it.

sandsjames
08-16-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm done here. You guys just go ahead and keep banning everyone. Pretty soon, you'll have a forum with people who do nothing but agree coddle each other. That's not something I want to be part of.

Bourne
08-16-2013, 09:37 PM
It's just unfortunate so many members cannot seem to separate their opinions from the behaviors that violate rules.

Vrake
08-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Dude get used to renewing your IP address.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-17-2013, 12:47 AM
I would bet a 27 cents that is Tak.

Vrake
08-17-2013, 01:03 AM
I would bet a 27 cents that is Tak.

I would see that and raise you 3 cents. Almost 4 years is a long time to sit on an alt... If that account is an alt there is a level of diabolical/obsessed planning I don't want to think about. :blindfold:

Absinthe Anecdote
08-17-2013, 01:07 AM
I would see that and raise you 3 cents. Almost 4 years is a long time to sit on an alt... If that account is an alt there is a level of diabolical/obsessed and planning I don't want to think about. :blindfold:

I'm probably the wrong guy to speculate on such things since as I had a never ending dust up with the guy.

Vrake
08-17-2013, 02:07 AM
I never did either. We had a couple differences of opinion but it was amiable at least.

Rarely did he really lose it and dog cuss people. I don't know what lead to him signing off then after his name showing banned later on. I have no idea why and it is none of my business.

MODS... From this guys view IMHO you are doing a good job by taming the board and holding people to the rules.

However comma you are playing it weird. NOT knowing what's going on behind the scenes I don't really know but here is my perception why you are coming off heavy handed.

You do a good job of jumping in and editing or removing posts if they are rule breakers. Please don't delete them anymore.

Leave the posts and in the "reason for editing" it will show why you might have needed to change a word or two or even delete the whole thing. IE Edited by FA do not use the word s%*#

If it was BAN worthy remove the content and state what they did where the main message was.

We read a lot of posts before you can and often wonder where things went for what feels like no reason. Whole posts or threads people follow have gone away and then a ban is given and no one knows why unless we ask. If you are away a couple days you see posts deleted and a ban issued and really get confused.

I get you owe us no explanations on what was done. But if you leave threads intact and edit/ban and explain it there. The thread still rolls on and we all learn each others boundaries together. Of course if a thread is that bad/derailed please kill/delete it.

You have posted the rules of the forum and I think most of us want to abide by them. Help us help you.

Sorry and not for the length but I feel better :)

Mjölnir
08-17-2013, 02:30 AM
I never did either. We had a couple differences of opinion but it was amiable at least.

Rarely did he really lose it and dog cuss people. I don't know what lead to him signing off then after his name showing banned later on. I have no idea why and it is none of my business.

MODS... From this guys view IMHO you are doing a good job by taming the board and holding people to the rules.

However comma you are playing it weird. NOT knowing what's going on behind the scenes I don't really know but here is my perception why you are coming off heavy handed.

You do a good job of jumping in and editing or removing posts if they are rule breakers. Please don't delete them anymore.

Leave the posts and in the "reason for editing" it will show why you might have needed to change a word or two or even delete the whole thing. IE Edited by FA do not use the word s%*#

If it was BAN worthy remove the content and state what they did where the main message was.

We read a lot of posts before you can and often wonder where things went for what feels like no reason. Whole posts or threads people follow have gone away and then a ban is given and no one knows why unless we ask. If you are away a couple days you see posts deleted and a ban issued and really get confused.

I get you owe us no explanations on what was done. But if you leave threads intact and edit/ban and explain it there. The thread still rolls on and we all learn each others boundaries together. Of course if a thread is that bad/derailed please kill/delete it.

You have posted the rules of the forum and I think most of us want to abide by them. Help us help you.

Sorry and not for the length but I feel better :)

Thanks for the comments & you make some good points & yes, the mods are still figuring out how to mod.

Part of why it may seem there is a lot "behind the scenes" stuff that doesn't make it to the boards is that we try to resolve most of the issues via private messages to members first, and don't reveal the content of private messages.

As has been said: post, comment, foster debate & disagree; but adhere to the guidelines. Just because you disagree, you don't have to be disagreeable. I have spent a lot of time in the military and do have a thick skin. For me as a mod, you are much more likely to have fallen afoul of the guidelines as they are now enforced long before you will offend me.

Vrake
08-17-2013, 02:38 AM
^^^

Thank you and my "NOT knowing what's going on behind the scenes" was meant to be lower along with the it's none of our business. Y'all have made it clear you try and resolve things via private messages long before it gets to a ban. I should have phrased that better but my fingers are not in sync with my brain my bad.

Bourne
08-17-2013, 03:26 AM
This thread is being closed because it is off-topic and disruptive.