PDA

View Full Version : Maternity Leave

TooReal
08-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Was talking about this in the office and guys wanted to know why men only get 10 days vs women 42 days? If the couple is mil to mil, the vote is they should both get the sametime off what do you think?

Absinthe Anecdote
08-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Men would get Paternity Leave not Maternity Leave...

Shaken1976
08-01-2013, 03:20 PM
When a man pushes an 8 lb baby out of his penis he can have 42 days off.

TooReal
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM
The go to move..........

Silverback
08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Was talking about this in the office and guys wanted to know why men only get 10 days vs women 42 days? If the couple is mil to mil, the vote is they should both get the sametime off what do you think?

Men should be happy with the 10 free days non-chargeable leave. It is women who are having the baby. Us as men are there for support. There was a time when men did not get any paternity leave.

RetC141BFCC
08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I remember that it was take leave time. Never got a free 10 day vacation

Class5Kayaker
08-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I remember that it was take leave time. Never got a free 10 day vacation

Yeah....do I get 10 days of leave back for each time I took leave chargeable after the birth of one of my kids (paternity leave didn't exist then)?

WAAAAAAhhhhhhh the AF isn't fair! I want my leave back!! [/sarcasm]

Class5Kayaker
08-01-2013, 04:05 PM

I think a$$ would have been a better comparison...lol

RetC141BFCC
08-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah....do I get 10 days of leave back for each time I took leave chargeable after the birth of one of my kids (paternity leave didn't exist then)?

WAAAAAAhhhhhhh the AF isn't fair! I want my leave back!! [/sarcasm]

Remember that old Movie with Billy Crystil rabbit test

poindexter
08-01-2013, 04:50 PM

This is so true!! LOL!!

Shaken1976
08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
This is so true!! LOL!!

Let's not forget carrying a baby for 40 weeks, hemmorhoids, morning sickness, stretch marks, heart burn, almost peeing your pants when you sneeze or cough, inability to sleep, and having an alien life form tearing apart your innards.

BENDER56
08-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Let's not forget carrying a baby for 40 weeks, hemmorhoids, morning sickness, stretch marks, heart burn, almost peeing your pants when you sneeze or cough, inability to sleep, and having an alien life form tearing apart your innards.

I know, right? I, for one, gladly accept my defective Y-chromosome.

omertalifestyle
08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't bitch too much about it. You could have a heartless flight chief that could say no leave at all and you have to be in 8 hours after the kid pops out and pull a 12 hour shift (before paternity leave, I saw it done)

garhkal
08-02-2013, 06:49 PM
The go to move..........

Or go to phrase...

Though one would think in this era of equality for all, the maternity/paternity laws would be catching up.

TWilliams
08-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I think women getting more leave than men is not unequal treatment at all. The way I see it, it is convelescent time to recover from a medical procedure. It is just a condition that a man will never go through. Is it fair that men get more convelescent leave for testicular cancer than women? (You see what I did there? It is funny because women don't have testicles.) If we were concerned with more than just the minimum time it takes to recover and return to duty, then women would have even longer leave which would be beneficial to early child development.

garhkal
08-02-2013, 09:58 PM
But mat leave is not just for recouperating, it is also cause of bringing the kid up (baby feedings etc).. and the dads DO help in that.. so why only 10 days?

BRUWIN
08-03-2013, 01:01 AM

I think women exaggerate these things. Men don't have it easy during labor either. For example, the magazine selection at Luke AFB hospital was atrocious, the Nurse bitched about me having ESPN too loud, and Pizza delivery's were not allowed on the maternity ward. Expectant fathers are an afterthought during labor and afterwards. We should get 42 days like the females do.

jshiver15
08-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I think women exaggerate these things. Men don't have it easy during labor either. For example, the magazine selection at Luke AFB hospital was atrocious, the Nurse bitched about me having ESPN too loud, and Pizza delivery's were not allowed on the maternity ward. Expectant fathers are an afterthought during labor and afterwards. We should get 42 days like the females do.

My wife had really intense back contractions when she was in labor, so it was my job to push my palms as (literally) hard as I could into her lower back to alleviate them as much as possible. My arms and wrists were jacked up for weeks. I think I deserve more leave for that alone. *sarcasm*

garhkal
08-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Combine that with the crap married men have to put up with by their pregger's wife especially near labor, such as the mental and verbal abuse....