PDA

View Full Version : MTI cleared of all charges

Shaken1976
08-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech. Sgt. Marc Gayden is on trial this week on allegations that he raped a recruit at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland. (File)
By Kristin Davis
Staff writer
Filed Under
News
Crime
Related Links
MTI accused of rape cleared of all charges

A military training instructor acquitted Friday of all charges in the rape case against him has returned to duty at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.

Tech. Sgt. Marc Gayden worked as an instructor MTI when a former basic trainee told investigators he had sexually assaulted her in his office two years earlier. As with all instructors accused of sexual misconduct, Gayden was removed from the job pending the outcome of the case.

The 11-year Air Force veteran had worked as an MTI since June 2009 and was part of an elite cadre of MTIs known as “blue ropes” before the allegation emerged.

A military jury of officers and noncommissioned officers found Gayden not guilty of rape, forcible sodomy and having an unprofessional relationship with the recruit late Friday at the conclusion of a four-day trial.

On Wednesday, Gayden returned to his regular job training MTIs, said Air Force spokeswoman Collen McGee. “He has been reinstated. His campaign hat was returned, along with his blue rope.”

Gayden was the 25th MTI court-martialed in the basic training sexual misconduct scandal. He is the only one to be acquitted of all charges. Some of the former instructors were found guilty of lesser charges, however.

“The MTI hat is removed temporarily until the conclusion is reached,” McGee said. “He was acquitted. Just like any MTI who is [cleared of misconduct], he is reinstated. The rule isn’t any different just because it was elevated to court-martial.”

His accuser, called Airman 1 in charging documents, said Gayden forced himself on her in his office on Christmas Eve 2010 while the rest of her flight was at physical training. Like most of the alleged victims in the MTI cases, she did not report her story until investigators sought her out.

Gayden’s defense said Airman 1 made up the charges to help save her ailing marriage.

Do you think she will face any charges?

akruse
08-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Tech. Sgt. Marc Gayden is on trial this week on allegations that he raped a recruit at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland. (File)
By Kristin Davis
Staff writer
Filed Under
News
Crime
Related Links
MTI accused of rape cleared of all charges

A military training instructor acquitted Friday of all charges in the rape case against him has returned to duty at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.

Tech. Sgt. Marc Gayden worked as an instructor MTI when a former basic trainee told investigators he had sexually assaulted her in his office two years earlier. As with all instructors accused of sexual misconduct, Gayden was removed from the job pending the outcome of the case.

The 11-year Air Force veteran had worked as an MTI since June 2009 and was part of an elite cadre of MTIs known as “blue ropes” before the allegation emerged.

A military jury of officers and noncommissioned officers found Gayden not guilty of rape, forcible sodomy and having an unprofessional relationship with the recruit late Friday at the conclusion of a four-day trial.

On Wednesday, Gayden returned to his regular job training MTIs, said Air Force spokeswoman Collen McGee. “He has been reinstated. His campaign hat was returned, along with his blue rope.”

Gayden was the 25th MTI court-martialed in the basic training sexual misconduct scandal. He is the only one to be acquitted of all charges. Some of the former instructors were found guilty of lesser charges, however.

“The MTI hat is removed temporarily until the conclusion is reached,” McGee said. “He was acquitted. Just like any MTI who is [cleared of misconduct], he is reinstated. The rule isn’t any different just because it was elevated to court-martial.”

His accuser, called Airman 1 in charging documents, said Gayden forced himself on her in his office on Christmas Eve 2010 while the rest of her flight was at physical training. Like most of the alleged victims in the MTI cases, she did not report her story until investigators sought her out.

Gayden’s defense said Airman 1 made up the charges to help save her ailing marriage.

Do you think she will face any charges?

And just what would you charge her with?

Shaken1976
08-01-2013, 03:11 PM
And just what would you charge her with?

Filing a false report. Perjury. From what I hear around base here is that her story was full of holes and several of her fellow flight members testified to that.

akruse
08-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Filing a false report. Perjury. From what I hear around base here is that her story was full of holes and several of her fellow flight members testified to that.

If there is hard evidence of it, then yes. But if there isn't, it would be no different than what happened to him.

Shaken1976
08-01-2013, 03:15 PM
If there is hard evidence of it, then yes. But if there isn't, it would be no different than what happened to him.

I would think they should at least look into it. See what there is to the story. Was she in trouble or a troubled airman? It said her marriage was failing.

Class5Kayaker
08-01-2013, 03:51 PM
There's no ay in hell the AF will investigate/charge her. No CC wants to touch that issue with a 10...no make that a 1,000 ft pole! All the focus on sex assaults these days has been about victims being afraid to come forward in fear of retribution. Charging her (even assuming she really did lie about it) would only add gas to the firestorm currently going on up on Capitol Hill. They would say things like "He was only found 'Not Guilty' not 'Innocent'."

I'm actually really surprised the AF returned him to duty as an MTI and didn't send him back to his core AFSC. Kudos to the CC who had the balls (using the term generically......whether the CC is male or female) to let him go back to his MTI job. But I still feel bad for the guy. Once charged with something like this, no matter innocent you are and even when you're found not guilty the stigma sticks with you forever (people talking about it behind closed doors, others still believing you did it, etc.)

akruse
08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
There's no ay in hell the AF will investigate/charge her. No CC wants to touch that issue with a 10...no make that a 1,000 ft pole! All the focus on sex assaults these days has been about victims being afraid to come forward in fear of retribution. Charging her (even assuming she really did lie about it) would only add gas to the firestorm currently going on up on Capitol Hill. They would say things like "He was only found 'Not Guilty' not 'Innocent'."

I'm actually really surprised the AF returned him to duty as an MTI and didn't send him back to his core AFSC. Kudos to the CC who had the balls (using the term generically......whether the CC is male or female) to let him go back to his MTI job. But I still feel bad for the guy. Once charged with something like this, no matter innocent you are and even when you're found not guilty the stigma sticks with you forever (people talking about it behind closed doors, others still believing you did it, etc.)

Its one hell of an EPR bullet :)

Silverback
08-01-2013, 04:02 PM

You made some good points. I did think about think about the fear of retribution. I feel that if someone makes a false claim that they should be punished. But you are right. The AF is trying to encourage victims to testify. Sexual Assault is a problem, hopefully this problem will calm down a lot now with all the female NCOs that the AF is forcing to become MTIs.

Shaken1976
08-01-2013, 05:34 PM
You made some good points. I did think about think about the fear of retribution. I feel that if someone makes a false claim that they should be punished. But you are right. The AF is trying to encourage victims to testify. Sexual Assault is a problem, hopefully this problem will calm down a lot now with all the female NCOs that the AF is forcing to become MTIs.

I hate that people make false allegations on this kind of stuff. I wonder if this guy was married and if his wife stood by him. It would be awfully hard.

imported_DannyJ
08-01-2013, 05:36 PM
I hate that people make false allegations on this kind of stuff. I wonder if this guy was married and if his wife stood by him. It would be awfully hard.

Just another reason I'm scared shitless about being non-voll'd for MTI duty.

Measure Man
08-01-2013, 05:41 PM
If this accuser did just make up the allegations to save her marriage or something...then she is a truly evil person.

Shaken1976
08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
If this accuser did just make up the allegations to save her marriage or something...then she is a truly evil person.

I completely agree. From what I hear she was with her flight at the time she stated he forced himself on her. The training logs state that she was physical training and so did her fellow flight members. Lots of other stuff that sounds fishy.

Measure Man
08-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I completely agree. From what I hear she was with her flight at the time she stated he forced himself on her. The training logs state that she was physical training and so did her fellow flight members. Lots of other stuff that sounds fishy.

Wow...I mean, okay, I get that it's bad to make a false charge in like a case of date rape, where the two people had sex, but she was drunk or something...but, it's like, "Okay, somethig happened, she's pissed about it...whatever" still not cool, but maybe the guy was ungentlemanly at least, so while not condoning a false allegation it that scenario, it's easier to reconcile.

BUT...to blatantly and completely make something up...potentially ruining this guy's life for your completely selfish motivations...is beyond comprehension. That is a complete lack of regard for your fellow man that I can not begin to understand.

Bunch
08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Wow...I mean, okay, I get that it's bad to make a false charge in like a case of date rape, where the two people had sex, but she was drunk or something...but, it's like, "Okay, somethig happened, she's pissed about it...whatever" still not cool, but maybe the guy was ungentlemanly at least, so while not condoning a false allegation it that scenario, it's easier to reconcile.

BUT...to blatantly and completely make something up...potentially ruining this guy's life for your completely selfish motivations...is beyond comprehension. That is a complete lack of regard for your fellow man that I can not begin to understand.

I feel for any coworkers of her.