PDA

View Full Version : Walk Test Change Rumors

Drackore
07-30-2013, 02:47 PM
So I have heard some rumors that the walk test is going:

A) Not considered as an exemption, so if you test all components with the walk test and get 90+ you are good for a year, and...

B) Heart rate is gone and it goes to being timed, like the run.

Anyone hear similar or know where I can find out the validity of this?

akruse
07-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Its social media/forums/email that make it seem that way Tak. Everyone wants it now now now.

technomage1
07-30-2013, 03:13 PM
I'd love to see the heart rate gone. It's qualitative. I prefer quantitative tests, those I can control. Heart rate - not so much

Absinthe Anecdote
07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
I'd love to see the heart rate gone. It's qualitative. I prefer quantitative tests, those I can control. Heart rate - not so much

The heart rate is a better indicator to track if you are concerned about your health.

Shaken1976
07-30-2013, 03:59 PM
The heart rate is a better indicator to track if you are concerned about your health.

I don't know.. There are a lot of factors here. I can finish the walk in 13 minutes flat. But as soon as I put on the heart rate monitor my heart rate shoots up before I even start. Last time it was 156 before I ever started walking. Same thing used to happen with the bike test. I have a friend who does the walk test and is bright red, sweating, and out of breath after the walk test and does it in 14 minutes...but can pass because her heart rate doesn't shoot up like mine.

Shaken1976
07-30-2013, 04:03 PM
What does heart rate have to do with it? Is this new or when did that start?

It is all in the formula...age, weight, time, and heart rate. The older you are the quicker you have to be and the lower your heart rate has to be.

Silverback
07-30-2013, 04:06 PM
This may be true, but it is not done for the run test. So long as you cross the finish line your good. I for one feel that they should get rid of the heart rate monitor for the walk test. People are already nervous as it is about failing.

Shaken1976
07-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Wtf? What happened to the simple 3 mile walk?

That went away ahile ago. Now it is a 1 mile walk. There is a crazy formula to figure out your score. I have the app on my phone.

Absinthe Anecdote
07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't know.. There are a lot of factors here. I can finish the walk in 13 minutes flat. But as soon as I put on the heart rate monitor my heart rate shoots up before I even start. Last time it was 156 before I ever started walking. Same thing used to happen with the bike test. I have a friend who does the walk test and is bright red, sweating, and out of breath after the walk test and does it in 14 minutes...but can pass because her heart rate doesn't shoot up like mine.

Forget about passing the test for a moment... Understanding what your normal resting heart rate is and how it responds to a workload is a very good indicator of cardio vascular health.

I know this sounds a little preachy but you should be concerned with the health of your heart regardless of the Air Force and any PT test.

Buy a heart monitor or sign one out from the HAWC and try wearing it for a couple of weeks when you are doing your PT routine. Also take your resting heart over the course of a couple of weeks to get an idea what the average is.

That should give you a better idea what is going on.

PS

156 before you started walking is way too high!

Assaultdog0351
07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
You all seriously have a walking "physical fitness test"?

Shaken1976
07-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Forget about passing the test for a moment... Understanding what your normal resting heart rate is and the how it responds to a workload is a very good indicator of cardio vascular health.

I know this sounds a little preachy but you should be concerned with the health of your heart regardless of the Air Force and any PT test.

Buy a heart monitor or sign one out from the HAWC and try wearing it for a couple of weeks when you are doing your PT routine. Also take your resting heart over the course of a couple of weeks to get an idea what the average is.

I did. I wear a simple heart monitor when I PT and especially when prepping for a test. My heart rate is normally very good and doesn't go up super high when doing normal PT. It is just test anxiety.

technomage1
07-30-2013, 04:23 PM

Not for me. I used to eke out the bike test every year. This was back when I rode my bike 45 minutes back and forth to work every day because I had no car. Then some fat jerk with a cigarette and Mountain Dew would get in the 90s....

Absinthe Anecdote
07-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Not for me. I used to eke out the bike test every year. This was back when I rode my bike 45 minutes back and forth to work every day because I had no car. Then some fat jerk with a cigarette and Mountain Dew would get in the 90s....

That fat guy with the Marlboro and the Mountain Dew was probably born with a big healthy elephant heart. Not everyone has the genetic good fortune to be born with an efficient heart.

If you trained hard and scored marginally you should be more concerned with your cardio vascular health as you get older.

WeaponsTSGT
07-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Forget about passing the test for a moment... Understanding what your normal resting heart rate is and how it responds to a workload is a very good indicator of cardio vascular health.

PS

156 before you started walking is way too high!

I think this is understood by everyone, if not they should have chosen another career path(Army). That being said, everyone also knows that the PT test is not and has never been about fitness. And if the walk test is given to those that can not preform the run due to injury, and if you don't factor heart rate on the run, then don't factor heart rate on the walk. Again the problem lies in the formula. Average maximum heart rate is an average based on age, the older you get the lower your max heart rate can be when it comes to this test. So if I at age 39 walk the test in 12:45 with a heart rate of 165 fail, the same time and heart rate could possibly give a 20 year old maximum points.

imported_StandardsAMust
07-30-2013, 04:54 PM
I think they are taking the HR out because of it not being reliable. They added a clause in the last revision to tell females not to wear bras with metal wiring. The one mile walk test is the most complicated formula anyone can devise and many fat people find ways of passing it.

The three mile walk maybe coming back with a faster time to complete it.

Shaken1976
07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Well there's a change I can support, no bras.

Hahaha....support...no bras... no support without a bra...LOL

technomage1
07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
That fat guy with the Marlboro and the Mountain Dew was probably born with a big healthy elephant heart. Not everyone has the genetic good fortune to be born with an efficient heart.

If you trained hard and scored marginally you should be more concerned with your cardio vascular health as you get older.

Maybe...but also consider no history of heart problems in my family and my greatgrandparents and grandparents lived into their 80s. That's not saying I won't be the first to conk off at 50 due to a heart attack, mind.

SgtS
07-30-2013, 05:30 PM

A) Not considered as an exemption, so if you test all components with the walk test and get 90+ you are good for a year, and...

A.) The walk has been that way for at least since the Dec 2012 update to the AFI. Check out page 2:

"1. The changes outlined below are approved for an implementation of 21 Dec 2012.

2. RegAF, AFR, and ANG (Title 10) Airmen who test in all four components (1.5 mile run or 1.0 mile walk, abdominal circumference (AC) measurement, push-ups, and sit-ups) and score an Excellent (90 or above) are only required to test once a year."

B.) I would like the HR to go away and just do a timed walked too.

I speak with bias on this one. I have arthritis in my left knee and it has gotten progressively worse the past two years. I am fine day to day, but I just can't run much anymore without seriously paying for it. I can use an elliptical machine just fine and do it a few times a week, but bikes, treadmills, etc just kill me anymore. When I get back to the States from this current assignment, me and my new PCM are going to have a heart to heart about putting me on the walk test.

CrustySMSgt
07-31-2013, 06:38 AM

Another reason why retired folk should stick to retired folk stuff... as often as shit changes there is no way you can keep up... lol

Giant Voice
07-31-2013, 02:30 PM
All I know is my normal resting rate is 50-60 when I'm in shape and 65-75 when I'm in so-so shape. I had to walk one year due to knee surgery. I was exempt from everything but the waist(never a problem) and walk. Sitting in the car, my rate was about 70ish(i have one of those monitors). As soon as I get measured and put on the their stupid thing, it shot up to above 85. I actually started the walk at 95, and finished below 150. This was when you could slow down and get your heart rate down prior to crossing the line. I passed that one. Heres hoping to never have to walk again for the test. Glad I can run again.

I'm one of those guys who gets pumped up for a sporting event regardless of what it is.

imported_StandardsAMust
07-31-2013, 02:39 PM
All I know is my normal resting rate is 50-60 when I'm in shape and 65-75 when I'm in so-so shape. I had to walk one year due to knee surgery. I was exempt from everything but the waist(never a problem) and walk. Sitting in the car, my rate was about 70ish(i have one of those monitors). As soon as I get measured and put on the their stupid thing, it shot up to above 85. I actually started the walk at 95, and finished below 150. This was when you could slow down and get your heart rate down prior to crossing the line. I passed that one. Heres hoping to never have to walk again for the test. Glad I can run again.

I'm one of those guys who gets pumped up for a sporting event regardless of what it is.

The walk test needs to go...either you can run or you can't. Period. Retest 42 days after your profile expires. Don't run for more than a year. MEB. This is the military...not a jobs program.

Desk Pilot
07-31-2013, 02:43 PM

A) It hasn't been an exemption. If you do the run or the walk test, it is considered that you have tested for all components. I can validate that as I scored 90+ on my last test taking the walk test and do not have to test again for a year.

B) Have not heard this, but I would tend to think this is just someone's dream. I don't mind the HR if they actually measured something that mattered. Your HR once you finished is not an indicator that leads toward how fit one is as much as how quickly one recovers. They would have to really rethink the whole formula, etc., and I don't believe they will do that. I could be wrong. I'm just giving my opinion.

Desk Pilot
07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
You all seriously have a walking "physical fitness test"?

People can't just choose whether they are going to run or walk. There has to be a valid reason and a profile given.

I've been taking the walk test because the docs jacked up the diagnosis on my knees and I've been on a very long recovery ever since. But before you laugh about it, in many ways and because of the stupid formula, the walk test is more challenging than the run. Well, let me clarify -- if you want a decent score, it is more challenging. I did my mile walking at 11 minutes flat last time. I would challenge you to do that with bad knees.

Desk Pilot
07-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Did they have heart rate and formula for
Three mile test?

No. The old three mile test was strictly a timed walk.

Desk Pilot
07-31-2013, 02:56 PM
The walk test needs to go...either you can run or you can't. Period. Retest 42 days after your profile expires. Don't run for more than a year. MEB. This is the military...not a jobs program.

Not quite that simple. There are people like me who can run but not run 1.5 miles without crippling pain. I'm still deployable, have been to CAST with this condition, have deployed, etc. If I could not fulfill my combat duties, you are absolutely right. But tell me the last time a person had to run 1.5 miles in combat?

imported_DannyJ
07-31-2013, 03:28 PM

It's a mile now. What's really funny is, heart rate is ENTIRELY dependent on the size of your heart, circulatory system, etc. I agree strongly with Techno, it should be quantitative only.

BRUWIN
08-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I heard the walk test is being changed to an electric scooter timed test.

Absinthe Anecdote
08-01-2013, 01:55 AM

True, but they haven't decided if the big 12 volt scooters will be allowed or if it will be the little 7 volt ones.

I say you should get less points for the 12 volt scooter because you can be a reall fat ass and the 12 volt scooter will still make it around the track.

Chief_KO
08-01-2013, 01:59 AM

My Jazzy will beat yours!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuZHyW-iGI

BRUWIN
08-01-2013, 03:34 AM
I say you should get less points for the 12 volt scooter because you can be a reall fat ass and the 12 volt scooter will still make it around the track.

Yeah...people will bitch. And it will be people that never had a clue about electrics before but once it becomes part of the PT Test they become electrical engineers.

Viper482
08-23-2013, 01:57 PM

Your comments pissed me off so much I made an account just to reply to them.

I would first ask you this sir....if you suddenly developed arthristis in your knees and were unable to run but were able swim, elliptical machine, bicycle, etc...and stay in good cardio shape...would YOU voluntarily separate based on the fact you could not run? Let's see if you are full of crap or not here.

We have plenty of great airmen who do jobs that do not require them to run, whether they be medical, intelligence, or maintenance. You are telling me that because these people have to find ways other than running to stay in shape they should be kicked out? Regardless on how well they can still perform their jobs? Are you listening to yourself?

People like you make me sick, and people like you in a position to make policy are the reason our Air Force is weaker than it could be. You would lose great people that keep this branch on top all because you feel they are beneath you because they cannot "run", pathetically and utterly stupid and ignorant.

In my opinion we would be better off losing people like you. When your ability to run brings a pilot home alive you come talk to me, until then you are just full of crap.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Your comments pissed me off so much I made an account just to reply to them.

I would first ask you this sir....if you suddenly developed arthristis in your knees and were unable to run but were able swim, elliptical machine, bicycle, etc...and stay in good cardio shape...would YOU voluntarily separate based on the fact you could not run? Let's see if you are full of crap or not here.

We have plenty of great airmen who do jobs that do not require them to run, whether they be medical, intelligence, or maintenance. You are telling me that because these people have to find ways other than running to stay in shape they should be kicked out? Regardless on how well they can still perform their jobs? Are you listening to yourself?

People like you make me sick, and people like you in a position to make policy are the reason our Air Force is weaker than it could be. You would lose great people that keep this branch on top all because you feel they are beneath you because they cannot "run", pathetically and utterly stupid and ignorant.

In my opinion we would be better off losing people like you. When your ability to run brings a pilot home alive you come talk to me, until then you are just full of crap.

Welcome...and thanks for joining.

If I were in charge, people who can't complete the PT test for more than one year would be shown the door, corporate America is waiting for you. But I don't make policy. So I guess you would disagree with the CMSAF and CSAF with this policy?

SPECIAL DUTY PROCESS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

Nomination Eligibility Criteria

Must have scored 80 or above on last two fitness tests, or 90 or above on most recent fitness test, no failure on any portion within the last 12 months or exemptions from any component.

Rant to them.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 02:24 PM
By the way...I guess this thread needs updating to include this from the CSAF:

"...and third, we’re changing and simplifying the walk test."

imported_UncommonSense
08-23-2013, 02:28 PM

If I were in charge, people who can't complete the PT test for more than one year would be shown the door, corporate America is waiting for you. But I don't make policy. So I guess you would disagree with the CMSAF and CSAF with this policy?

Must have scored 80 or above on last two fitness tests, or 90 or above on most recent fitness test, no failure on any portion within the last 12 months or exemptions from any component.

Rant to them.

The walk test is not considered an exemption. Per AFI 36-2905 Guidance Memorandum 6 "RegAF, AFR, and ANG (Title 10) Airmen who test in all four components (1.5 mile run or 1.0 mile walk, abdominal circumference (AC) measurement, push-ups, and sit-ups) and score an Excellent (90 or above) are only required to test once a year." Your point about CSAF and CMSAF is moot.

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 03:02 PM
The walk test is not considered an exemption. Per AFI 36-2905 Guidance Memorandum 6 "RegAF, AFR, and ANG (Title 10) Airmen who test in all four components (1.5 mile run or 1.0 mile walk, abdominal circumference (AC) measurement, push-ups, and sit-ups) and score an Excellent (90 or above) are only required to test once a year." Your point about CSAF and CMSAF is moot.

Thank you for using the proper word. It drives me crazy hat people use "mute" and then think I'm crazy when I tell them they're two completely different words with different meaning.

Now.....:focus

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 03:07 PM

I never said the walk test was an exemption. My point was to show that if you can't do pushups or situps or run or walk, you can't be considered for Special Duty. That's policy from the top that negates Viper482's rant on my post.

Pullinteeth
08-23-2013, 03:25 PM
I never said the walk test was an exemption. My point was to show that if you can't do pushups or situps or run or walk, you can't be considered for Special Duty. That's policy from the top that negates Viper482's rant on my post.

No you didn't but you sure as hell implied it.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I'll play along...while I concur that some can "gut" out the 1.5 mile run, most have to train to max it, work out a bit to pass it. What does the walk test prove?

Viper482
08-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Rant to them.

First of all sir the walk test is considered an alternative test, so you are completing the test. My reply to you is because you state you would MEB someone for not being able to run, no walk test if you made the rules. The fact is you do not make the rules, the very same CMSAF and CSAF make them so it is YOU who disagrees with their policy, not I.

You did not answer my question....if YOU could still perform your duties and you developed arthritis in your knees and were not able to run, would you voluntarily separate? You can still stay in shape through other means, just cannot run. You do not beleive yourself worthy of serving? I call BS.

Viper482
08-23-2013, 04:39 PM

I directly "ranted" to the fact you stated you would get rid of the walk and MEB anyone who could not run. It is right there in black and white, are you back peddling now?

20+Years
08-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Rant to them.

I'm just going to point out that you are taking Special Duty Qualifications (theoretically the best of the best) and applying them to every Airman; therefore making them "duty qualifications", which is wrong.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-23-2013, 05:04 PM
I directly "ranted" to the fact you stated you would get rid of the walk and MEB anyone who could not run. It is right there in black and white, are you back peddling now?

I'm not back peddling. I would eliminate the walk test. It serves no purpose. Either run or get out if your medical condition takes more than a year to resolve. After all, this is the military we are in, not corporate America.

Pullinteeth
08-23-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm not back peddling. I would eliminate the walk test. It serves no purpose. Either run or get out if your medical condition takes more than a year to resolve. After all, this is the military we are in, not corporate America.

Yet your proposal would have people not test at all for 2 years or more....:confused1:

Viper482
08-23-2013, 05:23 PM

And again you skirt around the subject....so you are saying if you cannot RUN (talking sustained long distance, not a 50 yd sprint), no matter how great cardio shape you are in, you are not fit to serve in ANY capacity in the United States Air Force? So a guy who works in a Avionics shop that is in great health, good cardio shape because he bikes or swims on a daily basis should be separated because he cannot run for sustained amounts of time?

I just want to make sure I got this straight so I can end this debate right here and now because you will never get it.

Viper482
08-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Don't see an edit function here, I also wanted you to answer my question. If you get arthritic where you cannot run long distances (not a "curable" thing typically) you will separate yourself voluntarily? I have asked 3 times now, when will you answer?

technomage1
08-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Considering we are the USAF, wouldn't it make more sense that everyone take the walk test and get rid of the run test? When is the last time whether it be home station or deployment that you had to run? When is the last time you had to walk?

Walking burns more fat than running, this is not debatable, its fact. The USAF wants skinny people. Getting rid of the run and going walk test only will take care of that problem. It will have people WALKING long distances to prepare thus losing weight. You're welcome AF.

What? Running burns way more calories than walking. If I run 10 minutes at 12 mph I burn 355 calories. If I walk 10 minutes at 4 mph I burn 85. That's the slowest running and fastest walking speed the calculator shows.

That's according to http://healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc and every calorie burning calculator I've ever seen.

Walking is good for you, there is no doubt about it. But it doesn't burn more calories than running.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-24-2013, 05:21 AM
Yet your proposal would have people not test at all for 2 years or more....:confused1:

2 years or more? Where did you get that?

imported_StandardsAMust
08-24-2013, 05:25 AM
And again you skirt around the subject....so you are saying if you cannot RUN (talking sustained long distance, not a 50 yd sprint), no matter how great cardio shape you are in, you are not fit to serve in ANY capacity in the United States Air Force? So a guy who works in a Avionics shop that is in great health, good cardio shape because he bikes or swims on a daily basis should be separated because he cannot run for sustained amounts of time?

I just want to make sure I got this straight so I can end this debate right here and now because you will never get it.

Yes. That is my viewpoint under the current system. If they were ever to make this part of WAPS, then I wouldn't care If you couldn't run. You just wouldn't get promoted. See my thread under PT section for more details.

Don't see an edit function here, I also wanted you to answer my question. If you get arthritic where you cannot run long distances (not a "curable" thing typically) you will separate yourself voluntarily? I have asked 3 times now, when will you answer?

No. There is a process for that. It's the DAWG and/or MEB. Let them determine your handicapped condition and separate you accordingly.

Viper482
08-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Yes. That is my viewpoint under the current system. If they were ever to make this part of WAPS, then I wouldn't care If you couldn't run. You just wouldn't get promoted. See my thread under PT section for more details.

No. There is a process for that. It's the DAWG and/or MEB. Let them determine your handicapped condition and separate you accordingly.

You seriously need a class on critical thinking if you believe this whole "running" thing is so vital to being an airman.

So let me bring this home for you and tell why I am so passionate about this. I am prior Army where running actually f'ing mattered. In my "old" age my knees have not let me run on a regular basis so I must keep my cardio up by other means. I am in better shape than half of the people I see dying to pass the run huffing and puffing from their smoking habit with their beer bellies flopping around. Oh but they do pass so I guess in your eyes they already have me beat as an airman. Meanwhile I take the alternate walk test, max pushups/situps and score close to 100 on my pft every year.

You know what, I could run if I wanted to "man up." And your system would force me to do that. You know what it would also do? After my knees go out to the point I cannot even complete the walk test bring me that $$$$$disability$$$$$ baby. That is what you want right? To force me to run to the point I can't even walk? Because that is what your pathetically moronic and short sighted system would do. Chew on that buddy. When the DoD has to pay tons of broken airman disability because people like you thought running was the end all be all of an airman maybe the next force reduction targets YOU. Or maybe when you get older your joints start giving you problems and you are in my shoes.

Be careful what you wish for there buddy....because karma sure is a b*****. Got no more to say to you except you are an elitist and a **** wingman. Good luck with your career....nah, not really.

Okay there run guy

imported_StandardsAMust
08-24-2013, 01:47 PM
You seriously need a class on critical thinking if you believe this whole "running" thing is so vital to being an airman.

So let me bring this home for you and tell why I am so passionate about this. I am prior Army where running actually f'ing mattered. In my "old" age my knees have not let me run on a regular basis so I must keep my cardio up by other means. I am in better shape than half of the people I see dying to pass the run huffing and puffing from their smoking habit with their beer bellies flopping around. Oh but they do pass so I guess in your eyes they already have me beat as an airman. Meanwhile I take the alternate walk test, max pushups/situps and score close to 100 on my pft every year.

You know what, I could run if I wanted to "man up." And your system would force me to do that. You know what it would also do? After my knees go out to the point I cannot even complete the walk test bring me that $$$$$disability$$$$$ baby. That is what you want right? To force me to run to the point I can't even walk? Because that is what your pathetically moronic and short sighted system would do. Chew on that buddy. When the DoD has to pay tons of broken airman disability because people like you thought running was the end all be all of an airman maybe the next force reduction targets YOU. Or maybe when you get older your joints start giving you problems and you are in my shoes.

Be careful what you wish for there buddy....because karma sure is a b*****. Got no more to say to you except you are an elitist and a **** wingman. Good luck with your career....nah, not really.

Okay there run guy

I applaud your passion. Thank you for your service both Army and Air Force. I wish you the best.

So, are you saying Basic Training needs modification to eliminate the run? While I can't determine if you are in good or great shape or not, I seriously doubt a walk test could either. I'm sure there are many studies that would argue swimming, jumping, climbing stairs could be better, but I'm no expert in that. What I do know is that the Air Force has determined that running 1.5 miles is the best way to determine your cardio health. Do I agree that the times listed on the chart are best? Nope. Should female minimums be 16:22 for 18 year olds while male minimums at 39 years are 14:00? That could be argued.

Look, all I am saying is that people need to comply with the standards they are dealt. That is all. Yes, I hate the walk test, I still haven't heard one person tell me what the benefit is, either run or don't or if the walk test is valid, then make that the only standard measuring our cardio abilities.

As others have noted on my previous posts, I have always claimed the profile system is messed up. I'm on one now and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, wrong with me. I could go and take a waist measurement only test right now and score a 100, but I am not doing that. There has to be a way to hold me accountable for this, and while the DAWG and MEB process appear to be ramping up to catch most of them, the standard is not Air Force wide. Maybe an inspection should be done on units to see if they are submitting the required names. That would be a good interest item to see.

So back to my question for you, are you saying Basic Training needs modification to eliminate the run?

imported_CLSE
08-26-2013, 08:50 PM
I'll play along...while I concur that some can "gut" out the 1.5 mile run, most have to train to max it, work out a bit to pass it. What does the walk test prove?

According to the Cooper Institute and the American College of Sports Medicine, the 1-mile Submaximal Aerobic Test proves, just as reliably as the 1.5-mile Maximal Aerobic Test what your aerobic capacity is.

This is coming from real doctors who have been doing this stuff for a really long time.

Oh, and the Air Force determined that 1.5 miles is the best way to determine your cardio health? Please. This is the service that took one component (the bike) from a multiple-component test and continued to use that for years to determine cardio health even after it was well known that the test was very flawed.

And as far as your issue with people doing the walk, I was in for 17 years, which included 3 years in Korea, supporting combat operation in Kosove, deploying to ONW, OSW, OIF and OEF, including both Iraq and Afghanistan, before my leg problem was diagnosed.

Guess why my leg problem wasn't diagnosed for 17 years? Because it didn't affect my ability to perform my duties, at home or deployed.

The only thing it affects now is my ability to do the 1.5 mile run at the pace that I would need to do to get over the bias that the Air Force deliberately designed into the scoring and the excessive weight that the Air Force puts on the that one component.

Had the Air Force not come up with this joke of a test, I would have gone my entire career, however long it ends up being, without my leg problem ever being diagnosed.

imported_StandardsAMust
08-27-2013, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this is our next walk test:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1496&page=2

technomage1
08-27-2013, 07:27 AM
OH, young grasshopper. It is not about burning calories, it is about burning pre existing fat.

Fitness Zone (walking) --- 60 - 70% of maximum heart rate: This zone provides the same benefits as the healthy heart zone, but is more intense and burns more total calories. The percent of fat calories is still 85%.

Aerobic Zone (running) --- 70 - 80% of maximum heart rate: The aerobic zone will improve your cardiovascular and respiratory system AND increase the size and strength of your heart. This is the preferred zone if you are training for an endurance event. More calories are burned with 50% from fat.

Using this then, if I walk 10 minutes I burn 85 calories, 85% of which are fat. That's 72 fat calories. If I run 10 minutes that 355 calories, 50% from fat. That's 177 fat calories.

I'd have to walk for over twice as long to burn the same fat as a 10 minutes run.

Any way you slice it running burns more calories or fat than walking does per a unit of time. If you have x minutes to work out per week, running will burn more fat than walking will.