PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Manning Verdict

imnohero
07-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Just FYI, the Bradley Manning trail verdict is supposed to be tomorrow. The news is saying 1pm eastern for the reading of the verdict.

I haven't followed the trial closely, but it doesn't seem likely to me the "traitor" charge will stick. But I guess we'll find out.

CYBERFX1024
07-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Just FYI, the Bradley Manning trail verdict is supposed to be tomorrow. The news is saying 1pm eastern for the reading of the verdict.
I haven't followed the trial closely, but it doesn't seem likely to me the "traitor" charge will stick. But I guess we'll find out.

Yeah, since the whole Snowden incident came out the mainstream media and Liberals have been trying to label him as only doing what he thought was right and not being a traitor. But the evidence points to the exact opposite.

imnohero
07-30-2013, 02:43 AM
The article 104 charge (Aiding the enemy) is what I meant by the "traitor charge"

Article 104 reads:

Any person who—
(1) aids, or attempts to aid, the enemy with arms, ammunition, supplies, money, or other things; or
(2) without proper authority, knowingly harbors or protects or gives intelligence to, or communicates or corresponds with or holds any intercourse with the enemy, either directly or indirectly;

Depending on how exactly the trial arguments went, whether he is found guilty on 104 depends on the interpretation of the 2nd clause. Will the judge find he knowingly had correspondence with the enemy? Not a legal expert but the line between the release to WikiLeaks and the documents found in the BinLaden compound seems a little sketchy.

I was just stating that my opinion is that the judge probably won't find him guilty on that particular charge. I also don't think that the embezzlement charge will stick, the government sustaining the argument that the records themselves were of "value" (in the monetary sense), not so sure.

Obviously, this is all conjecture, the records of the trial are not available to the public, and other than the verdict, neither will be the judges reasoning. We'll find out tomorrow.

technomage1
07-30-2013, 03:12 PM
IMO, he's guilty. If you work with classified, you know the drill. You keep your mouth shut about it unless you're told otherwise. You can't make the call the info is old, or it won't hurt the US, or any of the other tripe he's been spouting. You don't do it as a E7 and you sure as heck don't do it as a PFC.

The only exception to this is if you have knowledge of a war crime. Then you let someone know, if not the chain then the chaplain or IG.

Pullinteeth
07-30-2013, 04:09 PM

Unlikely? It is IMPOSSIBLE since he wasn't even charged with treason..... The most serious charge he faces is his charge under article 104-aiding the enemy. He has ZERO charged under Article 106 (espionage and treason).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/lifestyle/magazine/2011/manning/manning_charges.pdf

BTW, here are 20 pages on the subject;

http://forums.militarytimes.com/showthread.php?1588585-PFC-Manning-Hero&p=637493#post637493

Assaultdog0351
07-30-2013, 04:28 PM
I hope they hang that mother fucker for the fuck it then follow it up with a "Merica"

Pullinteeth
07-30-2013, 05:39 PM
I hope they hang that mother fucker for the fuck it then follow it up with a "Merica"

Max sentence is life in prison...

RobotChicken
07-30-2013, 05:45 PM

"The 'proper' way is; Hanging, Then being buried face down, in an unmarked grave."

106PADDOCK
07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
"The 'proper' way is; Hanging, Then being buried face down, in an unmarked grave."

How could we find it to piss on it then? If you are in uniform and you release classified data, you need to be burned at the stake............

Pullinteeth
07-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Guilty on the lesser charges. Not guilty to aiding the enemy... Sentencing phase begins tomorrow.

imnohero
07-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Thank you for posting the link to the story.

CORNELIUSSEON
07-31-2013, 02:12 PM
The article 104 charge (Aiding the enemy) is what I meant by the "traitor charge"

Article 104 reads:

Depending on how exactly the trial arguments went, whether he is found guilty on 104 depends on the interpretation of the 2nd clause. Will the judge find he knowingly had correspondence with the enemy? Not a legal expert but the line between the release to WikiLeaks and the documents found in the BinLaden compound seems a little sketchy.

I was just stating that my opinion is that the judge probably won't find him guilty on that particular charge. I also don't think that the embezzlement charge will stick, the government sustaining the argument that the records themselves were of "value" (in the monetary sense), not so sure.

Obviously, this is all conjecture, the records of the trial are not available to the public, and other than the verdict, neither will be the judges reasoning. We'll find out tomorrow.

This trial shows that most people don’t understand the nature of Military Trials. In Military Trials, MOTIVE is rarely pertinent in terms of CONVICTION; only in terms of MITIGATION.

The charge of “Aiding The Enemy” the Army already knew was a stretch, but it was thrown in in order to give the Defense a bone and send Assange and Snowden a loud message.

The fact that Manning wasn’t convicted of “Aiding The Enemy” pretty much guarantees that none of the other charges will fail on appeal.

The fact that there was no Treason charge reflects the fact that the Prosecution actually read Article 1, Section 3, Clause 2, of the US Constitution when filling out the Charge Sheet.

Congress has yet to define, in terms of the Internet, exactly HOW clause 2 can be judged as satisfied for the purpose of convicting a perpetrator.

garhkal
08-02-2013, 07:45 PM
So now he has been found guilty on a lot of lesser stuff, what's the betting he gets a short prison stay..

wildman
08-02-2013, 07:52 PM
How the hell did a low rank individual like him have access to such sensitive information in the first place? Who the hell signed off on his security clearance? This should have never happened but I doubt anyone at higher levels will be held accountable. Now this individual should be residing in my sate soon and for a very long time (Fort Leavenworth).

Always,
Wildman