PDA

View Full Version : Syria Strategy

Assaultdog0351
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Instead of/In addition to providing weapons and training for Syria, why shouldn't we also focus on getting a foothold back in Iraq to control the airspace? If I recall it was a goal in the past but we failed to come to an agreement. From what I've been reading on the news they might just be willing to allow such assets if they are available for their use as well.

Greg
07-23-2013, 02:34 PM
There should be a "moat" of radiation around the whole of the Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq from the dropping of nuclear munitions. Let them kill each other, and the survivors forge for themselves. Fuck 'em.

Greg
07-23-2013, 03:05 PM
This is a good read, and, I think, spot on:

Pentagon Lays Out Options for U.S. Military Effort in Syria
By MARK LANDLER and THOM SHANKER
Published: July 22, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon has provided Congress with its first detailed list of military options to stem the bloody civil war in Syria, suggesting that a campaign to tilt the balance from President Bashar al-Assad to the opposition would be a vast undertaking, costing billions of dollars, and could backfire on the United States."

"Training, advising and assisting opposition troops could require anywhere from several hundred to several thousand troops, and cost about $500 million a year. An offensive of limited long-range strikes against Syrian military targets would require hundreds of aircraft and warships and could cost billions of dollars over time. Imposing a no-fly zone would require shooting down government warplanes and destroying airfields and hangars. It would also require hundreds of aircraft. The cost could reach $1 billion a month.

An order to establish buffer zones to protect parts of Turkey or Jordan to provide safe havens for Syrian rebels and a base for delivering humanitarian assistance would require imposing a limited no-fly zone and deploying thousands of American ground forces."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/world/middleeast/pentagon-outlining-options-to-congress-suggests-syria-campaign-would-be-costly.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

CYBERFX1024
07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Instead of/In addition to providing weapons and training for Syria, why shouldn't we also focus on getting a foothold back in Iraq to control the airspace? If I recall it was a goal in the past but we failed to come to an agreement. From what I've been reading on the news they might just be willing to allow such assets if they are available for their use as well.

We already have a foot hold in the North of Jordan right now. So we can use those bases up there for a No Fly Zone.

imported_WILDJOKER5
09-11-2013, 07:04 PM

The agreement was that we pull out when we did. Bush got us out of Iraq, and the "peace loving" warhawk Obama tried to keep us there.