PDA

View Full Version : George Zimmerman Hero?

Pullinteeth
07-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Looks like he had a hand in rescuing a family of four....yet his parents can't even go to their own home because of people pissed at their SON...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/22/george-zimmerman-rescued-man-from-truck-crash-last-week-police-say/

Greg
07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
What caused the Ford Explorer to leave the road, and roll-over?

If I was George Zimmerman I would pick up the book, "Backpacking in Europe for a dollar a day."

raustin0017
07-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Funny....you don't see this event flooding the media during Prime Time. Good on him!

efmbman
07-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Funny....you don't see this event flooding the media during Prime Time. Good on him!

Of course not... it does nothing to further any right wing or left wing agenda. Therefore, it is only news-worthy in that it gets his name out there to remind people to be upset.

Greg
07-23-2013, 12:43 AM
"UPDATE: The audio posted is of two select 9-11 calls of the eight the emergency dispatcher received about the traffic accident.

The police incident report has been released to the media. The two adults Zimmerman assisted are Mark and Dana Gerstle. Zimmerman also reportedly helped two children, who are not named. No photos of the incident have been released. The family’s characteristics that can be released to the public is that the two adults are both white.

The couple were traveling in a 2004 Ford Explorer 4WD. The apparent cause of the crash is that the driver lost control while traveling northbound on the off-ramp of S.R. 417 and S.R. 400 in Seminole County, Florida the evening of July 17th. Today’s date is July 22nd – five days later."

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/07/67266-zimmerman-emerges-from-hiding-for-heroic-rescue/

wildman
07-23-2013, 03:41 AM
He ain't no hero in my book. Had he not stopped and rendered aid when he was able to do so I would have had him arrested and charged for failure to do so.

Always,
Wildman

garhkal
07-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Actually it was on both cnn and fox at lunch. Then on Fox again at around 6pm ish.

He ain't no hero in my book. Had he not stopped and rendered aid when he was able to do so I would have had him arrested and charged for failure to do so.

Always,
Wildman

So would you call for everyone else who failed to stop and render aid when they can to be arrested? What of all those who stand around and Watch people getting beat up? Or like in these stories, where they just stand around while someone's getting raped?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/28/california.gang.rape.bystander/index.html

http://www.kget.com/mostpopular/story/Police-Bystanders-watched-as-assault-and-rape/-5ix6HrDLUyUTDeGkc4nCw.cspx

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/steubenville-rape-bystanders-fire-18794423

Should not all of those people by your logic get charged?

Juggs
07-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Always,
Wildman

On what grounds? The only people that can be arrested for abandonment are EMS, Firefighters and Cops.

I think you being sarcastic but I'm not sure so I figured I'd I ask.

TJMAC77SP
07-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Always,
Wildman

Is that a hook in the water?

Pullinteeth
07-23-2013, 02:45 PM
[I]The police incident report has been released to the media. The two adults Zimmerman assisted are Mark and Dana Gerstle. Zimmerman also reportedly helped two children, who are not named. No photos of the incident have been released. The family’s characteristics that can be released to the public is that the two adults are both white.

Curious as to why that would be relevant....

sandsjames
07-23-2013, 03:22 PM
My question is why did he stop at all? It's none of his business? Why would he assume that the family needed help? Was he profiling a wrecked vehicle? He should have just phoned 911 and kept his distance. It's not his "job" to get involved in these situations.

sandsjames
07-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Curious as to why that would be relevant....

Exactly. Shows how ridiculous this all is.

Greg
07-23-2013, 03:47 PM
My question is why did he stop at all? It's none of his business? Why would he assume that the family needed help? Was he profiling a wrecked vehicle? He should have just phoned 911 and kept his distance. It's not his "job" to get involved in these situations.

I have it on good authority that George Zimmerman stands in front of his television while the nation anthem is being played while watching ball games.

71Fish
07-23-2013, 04:42 PM

He was probably told to stay in his car and not get involved.

wildman
07-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Actually it was on both cnn and fox at lunch. Then on Fox again at around 6pm ish.

So would you call for everyone else who failed to stop and render aid when they can to be arrested? What of all those who stand around and Watch people getting beat up? Or like in these stories, where they just stand around while someone's getting raped?

http://www.kget.com/mostpopular/story/Police-Bystanders-watched-as-assault-and-rape/-5ix6HrDLUyUTDeGkc4nCw.cspx

Got to use a wee bit of common sense in these situations. I do not know the laws of every state but in some if one comes upon an accident they must render what ever aid that is considered reasonably capable for a person to do. George in the position he held most likely has some first aid training and he should be expected to use it if the situation warrants. In some sates the good Samaritan act covers one from any liability issues that could occur.

Always,
Wildman

wildman
07-23-2013, 06:47 PM
On what grounds? The only people that can be arrested for abandonment are EMS, Firefighters and Cops.

I think you being sarcastic but I'm not sure so I figured I'd I ask.

Don't know about all states but in some one must render aid considered reasonably capable for an individual to do. The good Samaritan act protects the individual from any liability issues. George most likely has some first aid training and thus should be expected to utilize that witch he is capable of doing in the situation.

Always,
Wildman

Juggs
07-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Don't know about all states but in some one must render aid considered reasonably capable for an individual to do. The good Samaritan act protects the individual from any liability issues. George most likely has some first aid training and thus should be expected to utilize that witch he is capable of doing in the situation.

Always,
Wildman

You're wrong. By that argument every military member could be arrested for passing an accident. It's wrong, look up the law. Only actually law enforcement, Fire and EMS personnel could have charges brought on them, and even then, they have prove the individuals saw it.

Pullinteeth
07-23-2013, 08:06 PM
You're wrong. By that argument every military member could be arrested for passing an accident. It's wrong, look up the law. Only actually law enforcement, Fire and EMS personnel could have charges brought on them, and even then, they have prove the individuals saw it.

Can you imagine if he were actually correct? Everyone would have to stop for every accident. It would be total and complete chaos. There would be no way for the actual rescue workers to get anywhere near any scene because there would be a huge crowd not to mention all their vehicles parked around the scene.

I looked it up. It is actually called a "duty to rescue" and is VERY seldom a legal obligation. The exception is if you CAUSE the dangerous situation that results in injury. THEN you may be legally responsible for abandoning those injured by your actions. In some countries, you can be held liable if you don't call for help...

Juggs
07-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Can you imagine if he were actually correct? Everyone would have to stop for every accident. It would be total and complete chaos. There would be no way for the actual rescue workers to get anywhere near any scene because there would be a huge crowd not to mention all their vehicles parked around the scene.

I looked it up. It is actually called a "duty to rescue" and is VERY seldom a legal obligation. The exception is if you CAUSE the dangerous situation that results in injury. THEN you may be legally responsible for abandoning those injured by your actions. In some countries, you can be held liable if you don't call for help...

Exactly. I graduated the fire academy a few months ago and they taught us about this stuff. It's not state by state,it's national as far as that goes.

wildman
07-23-2013, 09:51 PM

Thank you. It has been a long time and I am aware laws are deleted from the books and they are changed. With the use of cell phones etc. in this day and age I can see where this is now the norm.

Always,
Wildman

garhkal
07-23-2013, 11:03 PM
In some cases i DO feel more needs to be done to push people out of their bubble of apathy, but i also agree it might cause more chaos than needed.

Pullinteeth
07-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Thank you. It has been a long time and I am aware laws are deleted from the books and they are changed. With the use of cell phones etc. in this day and age I can see where this is now the norm.

Always,
Wildman

Not sure where you got that from...duty to rescue has NEVER been a law in the United States. There ARE like 9 states that require you to call 911 (or other applicable emergency #) but even those are seldom (if ever) enforced.

wildman
07-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Not sure where you got that from...duty to rescue has NEVER been a law in the United States. There ARE like 9 states that require you to call 911 (or other applicable emergency #) but even those are seldom (if ever) enforced.

This gets confusing and all I can do is direct one to Wikipedia for the definition. In any event we are getting away from the topic. I used to read the statute book for the state of California when I was a security officer at a major mall in southern Calif. I may have come across something on this but has been so long ago I am not sure. I know we were expected to render aid if necessary and had taken Red Cross first aid courses.

Always,
Wildman

garhkal
07-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Maybe that was cause you were security at a mall.

js7799
07-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm having Mallrats flashbacks.

USMC0341
07-25-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm having Mallrats flashbacks.

You want some chocolate covered pretzels? They're real tasty.

wildman
07-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Maybe that was cause you were security at a mall.

Could very well be plus all of us had some sort of law enforcement background. I had been a SP in Vietnam, our boss was a retired police academy instructor and our assistant director had been a guard at a female sate prison on the east coast. No wanna Be's like ole George.

Always,
Wildman

Pullinteeth
07-25-2013, 01:44 PM
This gets confusing and all I can do is direct one to Wikipedia for the definition. In any event we are getting away from the topic. I used to read the statute book for the state of California when I was a security officer at a major mall in southern Calif. I may have come across something on this but has been so long ago I am not sure. I know we were expected to render aid if necessary and had taken Red Cross first aid courses.

Always,
Wildman

It isn't confusing at all...let me direct you right back to Wikipedia. Read the article on "Duty to rescue." That should clear up your misconceptions.

wildman
07-25-2013, 07:59 PM
It isn't confusing at all...let me direct you right back to Wikipedia. Read the article on "Duty to rescue." That should clear up your misconceptions.

Okay six of one and half a dozen of the other! Still don't make George no hero in my book. Nothing more than a pathetic wanna be as far as I'm concerned.

Always,
Wildman

Pullinteeth
07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Okay six of one and half a dozen of the other! Still don't make George no hero in my book. Nothing more than a pathetic wanna be as far as I'm concerned.

Always,
Wildman

Make up your mind... First you say he is a hero in your book then call him names... Do you happen to have voices in your head?

wildman
07-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Make up your mind... First you say he is a hero in your book then call him names... Do you happen to have voices in your head?

UM would you please show the post where I said George was a hero! Do you want to start a fight with me because it sure sound like it! Now simply put up or shut the F up! The only sound in my head are those made by the few idiots who consistently wish to provoke arguments and fights on each and every post made on this forum no matter what the subject.

Always,
Wildman

Mcjohn1118
07-26-2013, 12:32 AM
UM would you please show the post where I said George was a hero! Do you want to start a fight with me because it sure sound like it! Now simply put up or shut the F up! The only sound in my head are those made by the few idiots who consistently wish to provoke arguments and fights on each and every post made on this forum no matter what the subject.

Always,
Wildman

Wildman, he highlighted your comments "...don't make no..." This is called a double negative in English. As such, it is actually a positive. Let me break it down for you when I actual write out your contraction: ...he do not make no hero. Therefore what you typed was in fact that since Zimmerman does not make no hero, he actually is a hero. These are your words, most likely written poorly. Do you use the word irregardless? Just curious.

Juggs
07-26-2013, 12:44 AM

Always,
Wildman

Pathetic wanna be that helped rescue some folks in a car wreck. Sure. I guess you would drive by to make sure you're not confused with a wanna be.

wildman
07-26-2013, 02:18 AM
Wildman, he highlighted your comments "...don't make no..." This is called a double negative in English. As such, it is actually a positive. Let me break it down for you when I actual write out your contraction: ...he do not make no hero. Therefore what you typed was in fact that since Zimmerman does not make no hero, he actually is a hero. These are your words, most likely written poorly. Do you use the word irregardless? Just curious.

Okay ya got me cause I haven't a clue as to what the hell you are talking about. What the hell are you talking about? I believe in the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid). Ole George just happened to see an opportunity to perhaps make himself look good, Lord knows he could use that sort of thing right about now, still don't make him a hero in my opinion. Oops maybe you don't recognize sarcasm when one writes as I do.

Always,
Wildman

Measure Man
07-26-2013, 03:09 AM
Dang!... Royal baby named after George...I bet $50 it would be Prince Trayvon. :-(

netdragon
07-26-2013, 04:03 AM

That's known as the bystander effect in sociology, and was made famous by the rape of Kitty Genovese. The most common reaction for people is to stand around, thinking someone else will help. That's why if you go onto a scene and respond, you need to address people if you need help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Quote:

The case of Kitty Genovese is often cited as an example of the "bystander effect". It is also the case that originally stimulated social psychological research in this area. On March 13, 1964 Genovese, 28 years old, was on her way back to her Queens, New York, apartment from work at 3am when she was stabbed to death by a serial rapist and murderer. According to newspaper accounts, the attack lasted for at least a half an hour during which time Genovese screamed and pleaded for help. The murderer attacked Genovese and stabbed her, then fled the scene after attracting the attention of a neighbor. The killer then returned ten minutes later and finished the assault. Newspaper reports after Genovese's death claimed that 38 witnesses watched the stabbings and failed to intervene or even contact the police until after the attacker fled and Genovese had died. This led to widespread public attention, and many editorials.

netdragon
07-26-2013, 04:09 AM

..snip..

That's known as the "bystander effect" and was studied in sociology after the death of Kitty Genovese. It's also why when responding to an emergency, if you need help from an individual bystander, point to them directly when asking for help and direct them to do something specific.

From Wikipedia on the "bystander effect" (can't post link):

The case of Kitty Genovese is often cited as an example of the "bystander effect". It is also the case that originally stimulated social psychological research in this area. On March 13, 1964 Genovese, 28 years old, was on her way back to her Queens, New York, apartment from work at 3am when she was stabbed to death by a serial rapist and murderer. According to newspaper accounts, the attack lasted for at least a half an hour during which time Genovese screamed and pleaded for help. The murderer attacked Genovese and stabbed her, then fled the scene after attracting the attention of a neighbor. The killer then returned ten minutes later and finished the assault. Newspaper reports after Genovese's death claimed that 38 witnesses watched the stabbings and failed to intervene or even contact the police until after the attacker fled and Genovese had died. This led to widespread public attention, and many editorials.

Pullinteeth
07-26-2013, 03:51 PM

Always,
Wildman

I did...have you ever taken an English class? Now I guess you will shut the fuck up since you said exactly that...? The only sound in your head is a bunch of idiots? Shocker since the voices in your head are yours....

Okay ya got me cause I haven't a clue as to what the hell you are talking about. What the hell are you talking about? I believe in the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid). Ole George just happened to see an opportunity to perhaps make himself look good, Lord knows he could use that sort of thing right about now, still don't make him a hero in my opinion. Oops maybe you don't recognize sarcasm when one writes as I do.

Always,
Wildman

Ok, since you apparently are unaware of what a double negative is let me try to explain it to you...

Say you have an apple. You could legitimately say you doN'T have NO apples because you DO have an apple. If you don't have NONE of something, you have some of it... Say you said you had NEVER committed NO crimes...that would mean that you constantly committed crimes because you said that there was no time in which you were not committing a crime....

So now you are going from saying that he HAD to stop and render aid because it was the law (proven wrong) and now are saying he only helped to take advantage of a situation?

wildman
07-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I did...have you ever taken an English class? Now I guess you will shut the fuck up since you said exactly that...? The only sound in your head is a bunch of idiots? Shocker since the voices in your head are yours....

Ok, since you apparently are unaware of what a double negative is let me try to explain it to you...

Say you have an apple. You could legitimately say you doN'T have NO apples because you DO have an apple. If you don't have NONE of something, you have some of it... Say you said you had NEVER committed NO crimes...that would mean that you constantly committed crimes because you said that there was no time in which you were not committing a crime....

So now you are going from saying that he HAD to stop and render aid because it was the law (proven wrong) and now are saying he only helped to take advantage of a situation?

I could continue arguing with you but it would be an exercise in futility as you are so far out there it would never reach what little brain cells you may have. Now let me make it as clear and as plain as I can. In my opinion George is no damn hero. You go figure out why that is a double or triple negative. I love so called educated individuals who make absolutely no sense what so ever and you seem to be the poster child in that arena. Oh yea if your in this universe you must not be in this universe therefore you just must not be.

I also indicated that I could possibly be wrong about the render assistance laws, sorry if you did not or could not fathom that, and you did not prove me right or wrong as you claim anyone with a bit of common sense can see this law is very vague.

Always,
Wildman

garhkal
07-26-2013, 07:10 PM
That's known as the "bystander effect" and was studied in sociology after the death of Kitty Genovese. It's also why when responding to an emergency, if you need help from an individual bystander, point to them directly when asking for help and direct them to do something specific.

From Wikipedia on the "bystander effect" (can't post link):

I know what it is based on, but i was wondering does Wildman (and others) feel those who DON'T help when they should deserve any punishment, legal or otherwise?

wildman
07-26-2013, 08:41 PM
I know what it is based on, but i was wondering does Wildman (and others) feel those who DON'T help when they should deserve any punishment, legal or otherwise?

If an individual is able and qualified then I say yes they deserve to be punished if their inaction can be shown as having added to the unnecessary suffering or injury to the individual(s) involved. Now I know this could be very hard to prove and how one would do that I really don't know but the threat of legal recourse for non action should be available. All I can think of is a known medically trained individual who refuses to render aid, or a known off duty policeman or fireman. I add George to this category because chances are he received some sort of first aid training in conjunction with being a neighborhood watch person. This is one of the reasons I don't consider him a hero but rather having an obligation to render aid. I also think he got so called good press from this event.

Always,
Wildman

Pullinteeth
07-26-2013, 11:16 PM

He absolutely does and in his deluded mind, they are legally obligated to render assistance. IF this were the case (and I have proven it is not), it would certainly make the task of any pedophile or serial killer a LOT easier wouldn't it?

Pullinteeth
07-26-2013, 11:18 PM
I could continue arguing with you but it would be an exercise in futility as you are so far out there it would never reach what little brain cells you may have. Now let me make it as clear and as plain as I can. In my opinion George is no damn hero. You go figure out why that is a double or triple negative. I love so called educated individuals who make absolutely no sense what so ever and you seem to be the poster child in that arena. Oh yea if your in this universe you must not be in this universe therefore you just must not be.

I also indicated that I could possibly be wrong about the render assistance laws, sorry if you did not or could not fathom that, and you did not prove me right or wrong as you claim anyone with a bit of common sense can see this law is very vague.

Always,
Wildman

I get it, you are milady (at LEAST) retarded....it took you over a month to figure out that AND has a "d" in it and you don't know what a single, double or triple negative is...I get it.... I won't pick on you for bing ignorant, just don't expect me to let your ignorant ravings to go uncontested...

wildman
07-27-2013, 02:35 AM
I get it, you are milady (at LEAST) retarded....it took you over a month to figure out that AND has a "d" in it and you don't know what a single, double or triple negative is...I get it.... I won't pick on you for bing ignorant, just don't expect me to let your ignorant ravings to go uncontested...

Blah blah blah! What crap you do produce! I have forgot more than you will ever hope to know and continually demonstrate that simple fact. All you can come up with is a double or triple negative? I put forth opinions and state that is what they are, I say when I may not be accurate. All you come up with is some off the wall BS about apples. I also wonder if you have a comprehension problem because I don't think my writing is difficult yours on the other hand.

Still does not change my opinion on ole Georg. Care to get back on subject and substantiate your position?

Always,
Wildman

USMC0341
07-27-2013, 03:30 AM
Blah blah blah! What crap you do produce! I have forgot more than you will ever hope to know and continually demonstrate that simple fact. All you can come up with is a double or triple negative? I put forth opinions and state that is what they are, I say when I may not be accurate. All you come up with is some off the wall BS about apples. I also wonder if you have a comprehension problem because I don't think my writing is difficult yours on the other hand.

Still does not change my opinion on ole Georg. Care to get back on subject and substantiate your position?

Always,
Wildman

I like apples. Soon it will be fall and some good apple cider will be brewing.

wildman
07-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I like apples. Soon it will be fall and some good apple cider will be brewing.

Perhaps. But according to pullinteeth that could be a double negative and you really don't like apples cause you like apple cider.

Always.
Wildman