PDA

View Full Version : More Furloughs Coming Your Way

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-21-2013, 04:38 PM
SECDEF now predicts more furloughs and probable RIFs in FY14. Regardless of how you feel about the DoD budget, good people will be the ones impacted. My advice to DOD employees is to jump ship at the first opportunity and find work with private companies that don't do business with the DoD.

efmbman
07-21-2013, 04:44 PM
When I retired last Summer, I figured all this was going to happen eventually. I saw the drawdown that followed Desert Storm and it was not pretty either. After 12 years of getting blank checks, the DOD is having a tough time realizing that their business model is not sustainable. I went with another agency for my GS career choice.

The furloughs that we will see to start FY13 will be to weed out those that are willing to leave on their own terms. Those that remain will experience the RIF. The more people that quit as result of furloughs, the fewer that have to be processed through a RIF.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-21-2013, 05:08 PM
When I retired last Summer, I figured all this was going to happen eventually. I saw the drawdown that followed Desert Storm and it was not pretty either. After 12 years of getting blank checks, the DOD is having a tough time realizing that their business model is not sustainable. I went with another agency for my GS career choice.

The furloughs that we will see to start FY13 will be to weed out those that are willing to leave on their own terms. Those that remain will experience the RIF. The more people that quit as result of furloughs, the fewer that have to be processed through a RIF.

What's interesting is that you can cut the DoD budget by 100% and we'll still run up $500 billion annual deficits. God forbid if we touch entitlements (60%+ of all Fed revenue).

efmbman
07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
What's interesting is that you can cut the DoD budget by 100% and we'll still run up $500 billion annual deficits. God forbid if we touch entitlements (60%+ of all Fed revenue).

Agreed - entitlements are grossly out of control, and I would throw in foreign aid as well. There are plenty of problems within our own borders that need to be addressed before money is shipped overseas. But certainly you agree that DOD is bloated and there is no possible way (or valid reason) for the DOD to continue to operate at current expenditure and manning levels, right?

ConfusedAirman
07-21-2013, 07:10 PM
I just hope they do the RIFs and quit this furlough nonsense. But the idea should be not to just cut positions/people and then try to conduct business as usual with less people. Cut expectations, cut programs, and then cut the excess people determined no longer needed.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
I just hope they do the RIFs and quit this furlough nonsense. But the idea should be not to just cut positions/people and then try to conduct business as usual with less people. Cut expectations, cut programs, and then cut the excess people determined no longer needed.

Hagel said himself that the remaining workforce after any cuts will be asked to do more with less. Business as usual, less manpower, fewer bennies/pay for those still willing to hang on.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Agreed - entitlements are grossly out of control, and I would throw in foreign aid as well. There are plenty of problems within our own borders that need to be addressed before money is shipped overseas. But certainly you agree that DOD is bloated and there is no possible way (or valid reason) for the DOD to continue to operate at current expenditure and manning levels, right?

They need to close bases too, but congress doesn't want to hear it. Doesn't matter if there's only one airplane on a base, just don't ask to close it. Congress is about as self-serving as it can get!

Ripcord
07-21-2013, 07:38 PM
SECDEF now predicts more furloughs and probable RIFs in FY14. Regardless of how you feel about the DoD budget, good people will be the ones impacted. My advice to DOD employees is to jump ship at the first opportunity and find work with private companies that don't do business with the DoD.

Where did you read this?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Where did you read this?

airforcetimes.com

He made these remarks while visiting Charleston AFB

efmbman
07-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Where did you read this?

I've seen it in a few places, but here is a start:

http://www.stripes.com/news/sequestration/pentagon-chief-can-t-offer-hope-in-budget-cuts-1.231498

Ripcord
07-21-2013, 07:47 PM
thanks

efmbman
07-21-2013, 07:53 PM
thanks

No problem. I like to vary my sources since it seems very few outlets report news without a "spin" on it. Another site that is a good starting point is:

http://www.govexec.com/

From there you can search other sources. But initially, it is a great source to get a pulse on what's the latest hot issue.

I hope ForumAdmin does not object to links like that...

L_X
07-21-2013, 08:29 PM

I agree, it's an easy concept...wanna cut stuff, start with capabilities and work backwards to money/people.

Airborne
07-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Hagel said himself that the remaining workforce after any cuts will be asked to do more with less. Business as usual, less manpower, fewer bennies/pay for those still willing to hang on.

It would be nice if we could do less with less. Then things wouldnt seem so bad.

Drackore
07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Air Force hasn't had anyone intelligent enough to cut programs/expectations first and work to people in the over 15 yrs I've been in. In that time, the same unintelligent morons that started us down this path have trained and "mentored" the current and future morons that will carry it forward for years, if not decades, to come.

4CECMC
07-22-2013, 12:39 PM
When we start furloughing those serving in government office then perhaps we'll get this problem fixed. But of course, we'll never make stride on this until we can get a leader in the White House that can actually lead vice buying votes with welfare phones and soon to come welfare internet. Have seen many Obama/Biden stickers scraped from bumpers - sometimes you just have to be careful what you ask for.......

Playfair
07-22-2013, 02:01 PM
4CECMC - You said this like President Obama is the first politician to buy votes? They all did it. Every one of them. It's how they stay in office.

RetC141BFCC
07-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I was in for the last draw down what a joke. I just wish that they would go back and let people retire at 15 years again. I remember only have two electricians for an entire AMU.

Pullinteeth
07-22-2013, 02:42 PM
I was in for the last draw down what a joke. I just wish that they would go back and let people retire at 15 years again. I remember only have two electricians for an entire AMU.

That would mean that you are still in because the "last" drawdown started in like 2004 and is still going....

CYBERFX1024
07-22-2013, 02:47 PM
I am so glad I did not go with a DOD Civil Service job now. I am with the Dept. of Interior (US Geological Survey) we have not had furloughs and won't be having them. We got the notice about 10 days furlough, then it went to 5, and now it's 0 days. But our budget looks like crap right now. I am a field technician and travel extensively all over SoCal. But right now I am primarily stuck behind the desk because we have no money.

RetC141BFCC
07-22-2013, 03:16 PM
That would mean that you are still in because the "last" drawdown started in like 2004 and is still going....

Nope sorry missed that one. Was thinking of the one right after the first gulf war.

imported_DannyJ
07-22-2013, 04:41 PM
So what's really gonna be interesting is the 2k from AD they're cutting (a lot will come from 2S again) on top of the furloughs. Anybody that knows squat about AFMC or procurement in general is gonna have a good laugh when MXG/CCs start losing their minds when shit doesn't happen like it does today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTnNKhF-EU

imported_Sgt HULK
07-22-2013, 05:01 PM
SO I was one of the morons that sent in ideas to save on money, remember every idea counts. I got an enormous reply via email explaining basically how my ideas where shit and non concur. AF bands are necessary for morale, The thunderbirds are needed for war and allows them 20,000 plus contacts for recruiting., tops and blues is a morale event that is needed. They had no comment on staff vehicles

so lets keep the fluff bullshit and hit our civilians hard

LFAWes
07-22-2013, 07:36 PM
SO I was one of the morons that sent in ideas to save on money, remember every idea counts. I got an enormous reply via email explaining basically how my ideas where shit and non concur.

I was also one of the morons. My suggestion to the General was to have someone read all of the suggestions I have submitted to the old program. Everyone who read them thought they were great ideas. But there is no one authorized to implement the idea.