PDA

View Full Version : Detroit (and other cities) going bankrupt. SHOULD fed govt bail them out?

garhkal
07-19-2013, 09:15 PM
So, what's everyones thoughts on whether the govt should bail out cities (and towns) like Detroit etc, when they go bankrupt, like they did with other institutions back when the market crashed?

sandsjames
07-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Should not happen. Let failing cities/companies/etc fail.

efmbman
07-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Economic Darwinism. Lesson learned for the voters across the country, not just in the affected area. No bailouts.

hankpac
07-20-2013, 12:00 AM
50 years of Democratic leadership. Fuck em.

efmbman
07-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Now it seems that a judge has rejected Detroit's filing for bankruptcy.

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/19/news/economy/detroit-bankruptcy-order/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
07-20-2013, 01:39 AM
Bailing out cities won't encourage future fiscal responsibility. Spending more than you bring in will always lead to financial disaster. Towns go first, then cities, then states and finally our country. Can't convince me otherwise...

KellyinAvon
07-20-2013, 02:11 AM
Bailing out cities won't encourage future fiscal responsibility. Spending more than you bring in will always lead to financial disaster. Towns go first, then cities, then states and finally our country. Can't convince me otherwise...

Reward a behavior and it gets repeated. So if a bad behavior is rewarded, they will learn their lesson and never do it again. There really needs to be a sarcasm font. Purple is the new sarcasm font.

I don't know why things seem so clear to everyone except the people doing the bailing. It must be because it ain't their money.

UH1FE
07-20-2013, 03:13 AM
They voted for the idiots who created this mess. Now lets let them live with those choices!

garhkal
07-20-2013, 06:03 AM
Surprised, it seems unanimous for let them fail..

RobotChicken
07-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Bailed out New Orleans for ineptitude corrupted leadership after the storm."

efmbman
07-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Surprised, it seems unanimous for let them fail..

It's not "let them fail". They already failed. And everyone saw this coming and nothing was done. It is like becoming morbidly obese. No one wakes up 300 lbs heavier than they were the day before. No government "suddenly" goes bankrupt. It is a gradual process that, if noticed and acted upon, can be stopped and even reversed.

garhkal
07-20-2013, 09:43 PM
On a related note to your Obesity comment.. Ever wonder why so many people for towing services on TV (lizard lick, south beach tow) seem to be in that 'broad' category?

efmbman
07-20-2013, 09:58 PM
On a related note to your Obesity comment.. Ever wonder why so many people for towing services on TV (lizard lick, south beach tow) seem to be in that 'broad' category?

I am not familiar with those TV shows, so not I have never wondered that.

Pullinteeth
07-22-2013, 03:21 PM
I don't know why things seem so clear to everyone except the people doing the bailing. It must be because it ain't their money.

That is an easy answer. True it isn't their money but you also have to factor in that they want the votes of those that work for those companies. If they bail out Detroit, it will be for the votes in Detroit.

CYBERFX1024
07-22-2013, 03:52 PM
It's not "let them fail". They already failed. And everyone saw this coming and nothing was done. It is like becoming morbidly obese. No one wakes up 300 lbs heavier than they were the day before. No government "suddenly" goes bankrupt. It is a gradual process that, if noticed and acted upon, can be stopped and even reversed.

Well it has been noticed for years now. The city has been trying to clean itself of jobs that are no longer needed, but the unions have fought them every step of the way. So now the unions get what they deserved. I am not anti-union and they do have there place in society. But quite frankly in some cities and states they control everything and that's not what they were designed for.