PDA

View Full Version : New to MT

ssings426
07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm the spouse of a retired Navy Submariner, living now near an AFB and an NSA in Panama City, FL. I was considering moving onto the AFB (which I believe offers housing to retirees) but I read a few posts here that made me feel as though some active duty personnel resent retirees living on post. Is this a typical situation or a trend or are there just a few that feel this way? My husband, my children, and my father and grandfather all served....I can hardly believe that this is so. Thanks.

Rusty Jones
07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
...if you were a Navy spouse and you're talking about an Air Force base, why are you saying "on post?"

I'm not active duty anymore, but if I was, I'd say you all can HAVE base housing. I'm not a fan of it. For anyone who is E5 or above, it's a bad deal.

Itisshogi
07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
I didn't realize retires could live on base?

Stalwart
07-16-2013, 09:41 PM
I have heard of government civilians getting on base housing due to a migration of active duty families from base housing to off-base housing and leaving quarters unoccupied. I have never heard of retirees being assigned base housing, but assume it for the same reason. Personally, if you are not keeping an active duty member who has applied for housing I wouldn't care, but think as soon as housing is full and an active duty family applied then non-active duty (government civilians, retirees etc.) should relocate.

Nothing against you or your parents, husband, children etc. who served, but that is the intent of housing is for active duty, and the courtesy extended to non-active duty housing occupants should be secondary to meeting the original intent if a wait list for active duty started.

raustin0017
07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Privatization of Base Housing has a different set of rules. It is all based on occupancy levels. I don't know the actually percentages...as each contract is different. As occupancy levels drops the 'Contractor' can fill empty houses. The list usually starts with Married Active Duty, Single Active Duty, Retired military, civilians, etc.

KellyinAvon
07-16-2013, 11:10 PM
are privatized military members called contractors?

Mercenaries.

KellyinAvon
07-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Warrior Mercenaries

Airman Warrior Mercenaries

Bourne
07-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Well, ssings426, I think you got the truest form of what can only be called a Legit MTF Welcome.
Rusty Jones GodFather Stalwart raustin0017 ANDKellyinAvon all in your very first thread... ?!

If this is a sign of things to come, Ticketmaster is gonna be selling out your threads.

Welcome to the MTF!

KellyinAvon
07-18-2013, 01:41 AM
Battlefield Airman Warrior Mercenaries

Expeditionary Battlefield Airman Warrior Mercenaries (E-BAWMs)
Oh yeah, hi new submariner guy, :hijacked: welcome to the forum.

RobotChicken
07-18-2013, 02:31 PM
"Expeditionary Battlefield Civilian Airman Retired Zoomie Rambo Warrior Merc!" Now :focus :drum:welcome:welcome:welcome To the 'Forum!!"

Bourne
07-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Sadly, ssings426, messaged to inform me that she would not be returning. She states that she thought it might be nice to engage with the military community, but was basically turned off by the responses to her.

"I won't be back. I thought trying to reconnect with our military past would give me an opportunity to
serve as well. Probably for the best... In any event, blessings to you and yours...[ssings426]"

She also explained why she said "on base" and while her personal situation is not relevant, it was quite reasonable and understandable that she'd use the term.

Sad, sounds like a nice person, whom we needlessly scared off.

Stalwart
07-18-2013, 03:52 PM
The thread derailed pretty quickly. Add to that -- she asked a question and may not have liked the answers she received. I don't see anything too offensive, but everyone does have a different level of sensitivity.

Stalwart
07-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I generally try to be courteous (on the forums), only having really been what I would consider rude one time that I remember.

She asked a legitimate question, and within five posts the thread was derailed (not rude, but derailed). Understanding that this is an internet forum and not a face to face conversation, would providing her a answer -- even one she might not want to hear -- vice derailing the topic have really ruined anyone's day?

Someone said before that they doubted too many people here would talk to someone face to face in the manner they do here -- that is okay since the anonymity allows people to say things they may not otherwise be in a position to do. At the same time ... it was a simple & legitimate question.

retiredAFcivvy
07-18-2013, 05:13 PM
They wouldn't have lasted long with that "blessings" talk.

Sad!

retiredAFcivvy
07-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Privatization of Base Housing has a different set of rules. It is all based on occupancy levels. I don't know the actually percentages...as each contract is different. As occupancy levels drops the 'Contractor' can fill empty houses. The list usually starts with Married Active Duty, Single Active Duty, Retired military, civilians, etc.

Thanks. Not sure a lot of folks are familiar with privatization of the base housing.

KellyinAvon
07-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Sadly, ssings426, messaged to inform me that she would not be returning. She states that she thought it might be nice to engage with the military community, but was basically turned off by the responses to her.

"I won't be back. I thought trying to reconnect with our military past would give me an opportunity to
serve as well. Probably for the best... In any event, blessings to you and yours...[ssings426]"

She also explained why she said "on base" and while her personal situation is not relevant, it was quite reasonable and understandable that she'd use the term.

We scared her off? :grumpy: We were on our best behavior!:veryhappy:

Rusty Jones
07-18-2013, 05:37 PM
We scared her off? :grumpy: We were on our best behavior!:veryhappy:

Man, if she had stuck around; we could've toughened her up a bit!

Pullinteeth
07-18-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm the spouse of a retired Navy Submariner, living now near an AFB and an NSA in Panama City, FL. I was considering moving onto the AFB (which I believe offers housing to retirees) but I read a few posts here that made me feel as though some active duty personnel resent retirees living on post. Is this a typical situation or a trend or are there just a few that feel this way? My husband, my children, and my father and grandfather all served....I can hardly believe that this is so. Thanks.

I get you probably won't be back but... I don't think anyone resents retirees in housing. If I were you, I wouldn't do it but that is just because I have dealt with HBC in the past and will never make that mistake again. With that said, when I was in housing, I had neighbors that were ADAF, AD USMC, ARNG and a couple retirees. The people that I am NOT a fan of letting into housing are civilians with no military affiliation. I get that under the new rules they are eligible but I am not a fan.

retiredAFcivvy
07-18-2013, 06:11 PM
How does privatization save af money,
Is it reduced mx costs?

I believe the concept is that the AF leases the housing to the contractor. The contractor then is responsible for all maintenance, etc. The military member then basically rents the housing from the contractor using the BAQ rather than the government paying direct. The concept has been around for years; but, don't really know if truly saving money.

Pullinteeth
07-18-2013, 06:16 PM
They try to keep officers and enlisted separate
And unequal in housing as well.

Not as much as you might think and certianly not as much as they used to when it was Gov run...

KellyinAvon
07-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Let the frat games begin.

TOGA!! TOGA!!! Oh wait, not that kind of frat.

sandsjames
07-18-2013, 07:45 PM
The privatization thing is weird. If they can't fill the houses with military, they can go to DoD and retirees. If still not full, they can rent them out to non military/non DoD related civilians. So, in theory, it just becomes a downtown community that happens to be on base. I do believe they do background checks and stuff before the civilians can move on. Hell, I don't even know if it would ever come to that. But it is the final option if the numbers aren't kept up.

Pullinteeth
07-18-2013, 07:56 PM
The privatization thing is weird. If they can't fill the houses with military, they can go to DoD and retirees. If still not full, they can rent them out to non military/non DoD related civilians. So, in theory, it just becomes a downtown community that happens to be on base. I do believe they do background checks and stuff before the civilians can move on. Hell, I don't even know if it would ever come to that. But it is the final option if the numbers aren't kept up.

Two words for you....section eight

retiredAFcivvy
07-18-2013, 08:23 PM

Someone may have statistics on this but I suspect that most, if not all, of these privatized housing areas are new build or near new and there isn't a problem filling them. Years down the line it may be different.

RobotChicken
07-19-2013, 10:22 AM

"I'll bet 'big chicken superstar' was a nice person at the start too."

Pullinteeth
07-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Someone may have statistics on this but I suspect that most, if not all, of these privatized housing areas are new build or near new and there isn't a problem filling them. Years down the line it may be different.

You would suspect incorrectly. Most of the time, they take over old MFH.

jpeters
07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Our base housing here is ridiculous. They couldn’t get people to live in them, so they closed one dorm and moved the Airman in housing. That didn’t fill up enough empty houses, so they let DOD civilians move on base if they wanted to. That didn’t fill up enough so they let retirees. That didn’t work either, so they allowed contractors to move in. Still not enough people moved in, so they are just demolishing old houses and no rebuilding new ones until there is a demand for them.

jpeters
07-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Well no shit, you live in Yonder Way!

Yeah that could be a reason too!